Pokemon Thread

PoorLepRecon

I'm having trouble getting Pokémon Online to run on Ubuntu. I really hope I don't have to resort to Wine. I have something special in store for all of you.

Let me guess: Contrary Spinda and Smeargle?

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

I forgot about another banned ability. Moody is banned for this tournament as well.

Updating the banned list to reflect this.

Tournament starts on May 2nd so you have plenty of time to change your teams if you did in fact have Moody on them.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

Who is Moody?

Btw I'm going to sit this tournament out, due to heavy testing in May/June. Sorry.

Moody is an ability that randomly increases your stats by 2 stages and randomly lowers a stat by 1 stage. With accuracy among that stats that get raised/lowered, it comes down to luck if you can get an evasion boost or not.

Moody is an ability that randomly increases your stats by 2 stages and randomly lowers a stat by 1 stage. With accuracy among that stats that get raised/lowered, it comes down to luck if you can get an evasion boost or not.

Oh, so Inconsistent?

Damn Japanese-English turnover.

I use the English names, which you guys should try converting to. It's confusing whenever a Japanese Pokemon name is used.

I wish Smogon would start doing the same. Half of their Grammar/Prose passed articles still use Japanese names for Pokemon and moves. Pretty tired of having to type in the Japanese name into Marriland just to understand half the sentence.

Well, I finally got Pokemon Online working. Their teambuilder is pretty smooth, I already have about 50 different pokémon in my boxes. I also scored my first ragequit in my third test battle with the team I'm planning to run. With the rate I'm churning out Pokemon, I'll probably have an entirely different team by the time I'm done though.

If anyone wants an idea for a scarily-effective subway lead, here's the new one I use:

Whimsicott@lefties

Prankster/Bold

100hp/200def/8spa/200sp.def

-cotton guard/trick room/sunny day

-leech seed

-stun spore

-energy ball

The idea is pretty simple: para the enemy lead, then seed it, then either build def with cg (if the enemy is physical-offensively oriented), attack (if the enemy is weak to grass), or switch to another pkmn (thus giving that pkmn free time to setup/free healing off leech). Trick room/sunny day could also be used instead of cotton guard, should your team be in need of it.

div>

When using Whimsicott to set up Trick Room, you should know that Prankster doesn't work too well with it. It does raise the priority from -7 to -6, but in practice it means that you're usually going last anyway.

Also, it's kind of funny how effective some of the older sets can be. I've been having a lot of fun with the old-fashioned wall breaker mixed Infernape. There's nothing quite like using Nasty Plot, having the opponent switch in a Chansey, and then nailing it with Close Combat. The popularity of Ferrothorn as a physical wall makes Infernape more useful too. The only real problem I've been running into is that somehow I always seem to run into Swamperts when I'm using HP Ice and Gliscors when I'm using Grass Knot.

Trick room actually works pretty well, seeing as the stats moves are unaffected by speed due to prankster giving priority regardless. That, and it virtually allows you to turn any one pkmn into a tank (depending on which boosting pkmn you bring out).

div>

Chandeluir is fine, except for the fact that you need to wait for litwik to evolve until level 61 if you want shadow ball at it's earliest. I believe it's next evolution get's it at 69.

PoorLep is wrong, i used a litwick myself and it evolved at level 39 i believe, and yopu can evolve it using a dusk stone. No mon takes grinding to level 60ish to evolve to it's final form apart from deino and maybe larvesta, though i'm not sure on the last one.

PoorLep is wrong, i used a litwick myself and it evolved at level 39 i believe, and yopu can evolve it using a dusk stone. No mon takes grinding to level 60ish to evolve to it's final form apart from deino and maybe larvesta, though i'm not sure on the last one.

He's talking about when it learns Shadow Ball, but since you get the TM just before gym 8, that shouldn't be a problem. If you didn't, head back to the Relic Castle.

Larvesta evolves at 59, and Zweilous at 64.

He's talking about when it learns Shadow Ball, but since you get the TM just before gym 8, that shouldn't be a problem. If you didn't, head back to the Relic Castle.

Larvesta evolves at 59, and Zweilous at 64.

I didn't know about the TM. You should be fine with Litwik. You can also get a Dusk stone before the elite 4 so you should be able to get a chandeluir for them.

Even without the TM, you can use Will-o-Wisp and Hex. It's 100 base power on an enemy with a status condition and screws over physical attackers.

But you have to rely on will-o-wisp hitting with 75% accuracy and then attacking with hex. It's still decent, but shadow ball is a much better move. Plus, if a fire type comes in, then you can't use will-o-wisp.

That, and it's generally easier to run shadow ball/flamethrower over hex/willo. Chandelure can ohko plenty of pkmn in the metagame, making it useless as a willo-setup'er. Not to mention the fact that you're wasting the turn(s) setting up willo for a mere 5base power difference.

div>

Kinda late reply, but Shadow Ball is also a TM that you can get from the Celesial Tower, the same place where you catch Litwik. Given that, there really should be no reason to wait on evolving it for Shadow Ball, since you could just throw the TM.

As a matter of fact, the standard Chandelure's moveset is all TM moves anyway.

-Fire Blast

-Overheat

-Energy Ball

-Shadow Ball

-Will O Wisp

-Hidden Power

-Calm Mind

-Sub

There's not a single good move it learns exclusively by level up that's also a good competitive move for it, and typically speaking, a good competitive move = a good all-round move, even for playing through the game with. The only exceptions are in the case of Egg-Groups and Event-only moves, which may or may not be worth justifying the extra effort.

The only MAYBE debatable move here is Pain Split, which really isn't very exciting and only worth it on the Calm Mind set, and even then...