'NextScape' (MechScape) to launch March 2009

me

http://www.developmag.com/news/30000/Ru ... on-new-MMO

Runescape developer Jagex working on new MMO

Michael French Today, 1:08pm

But CEO says that infrastructure, not IP, is secret to the firms success

Runescape developer Jagex has revealed it is working on a brand new MMO due for launch in March 2009.

The unnamed MMO was revealed by CEO Geoff Iddison during a panel discussion at todays GameHorizon Conference in Newcastle.

Dubbed Nextscape by Iddison, the game was said to incorporate as Runescape does a variety of business and subscription models to drive consumer engagement, he said.

However, although the company has run its successful Runescape MMO since 2001 offering biweekly content updates - with the new property due to join it early next year, Iddison said that Jagex real value isnt its IP, but its infrastructure.

Weve got an infrastructure behind Runescape which is the real silver of the Jagex, the value of the company, said Iddison. Its not the game, the game is going to come and go, he said.

The infrastructure is the thing that can scale. Runescape has 10 years of good growth but the infrastructure is infinitely scalable, he added of Jagex vast operation of servers and online support teams.

Although Jagex employs 400 people at its Cambridge, UK HQ, only 25 per cent are dedicated to development. Half the staff are focused on content and support while the rest are dedicated to that infrastructure.

All the emerging markets, mobile games and payment systems are a driver bhind Jagex, he added when discussing how the infrastructure takes advantage of emergent industry trends in the online space to drive company growth.

Once youve got that infrastructure ticking its amazing what you can get on it.

Its possible that Jagex next offering will look to target a wider consumer base/ Although a big force in the more casual end of the MMO market, Runescapes fantasy world has mostly male players ages eight to 18 which are getting younger as time goes on, admitted Iddison, saying the firms strategy currently excluded female players but that weve got some plans there to redress the imbalance.

Last time Iddison spoke about MechScape he said Q1 2009, so this is more specific.

Jagex also said that FunOrb games cost less than £12k each to develop.

Note: If you want more information on MechScape then check out http://www.mechscapeworld.com/

(Feel free to move this topic if you think its in the wrong place)

ren_tbv450.png

Mechscape World (the original MechScape fansite)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to have a release date for mechscape :P not much else i didnt already know though. What i find more interesting is the FunOrb quote. I'm wondering if they are making profit on that site yet, my guess would be they're still at a loss. I'm not sure the exact subscriber numbers, but i'd imagine it's well under 10k. would be interesting to find out the nuber of repeat subscribers to funorb vs. repeat subscribers to RS, i'd imagine a lot of people will just get a funorb sub once and not bother with it again.. i know thats what a few of my friends have done.

red-mask-sig.gif?t=1238621802

MSSW4Banner.gif

Runescape..Mechscape..Nextscape?

What's next?

I'd say NextScape but that already exists o.O

Lol, I think Jagex is pushing it now, with all those Scapes.

EDIT: there's some stupid grammatical mistakes, you'd expect an online newspaper to watch things like that... Bhind, per cent?

Wait, they better not make things more female like or incorporate such female aptitudes in the game just to attract more females into it. I seriously do not want Hello Kitty variations RuneScape. There's a reason why the majority of gamers are males, and why females don't go onto games that often.

Jagex better be talking about some other incorporation into another game.

I'm not saying females are bad or anything, but to attract the vast majority of females who don't play MMO's, the game would have to be drastically redesigned, and the object and point would also have to be changed.

Males and females are attracted to different genres, and variables.

Don't flame me for saying this, but it's the same when playing any sport with females and males, anything co-ed. You have 80% who can't play, and don't even want to be there, and then 20% who actually try and know what they are doing, compared to 20% of males who don't want to be there and can't play, while the 80% want to be there and try their hardest regardless of playing ability.

It's just the truth. I'm not classifying females as those that can't play sports, or do an online game, that's already disproved if you're a female reading this, but I'm pretty sure it's not hard to realize that females aren't attracted to MMO's.

Runescape..Mechscape..Nextscape?

What's next?

I might be wrong, but i think nextscape is like a code name for mechschape.

Probably, seems unlikely that they will release 2 MMORPG's in one year.

Besides, we do not 'officially' now that Mechscape is coming ^^, . After all, I haven't seen an official announcement?

koen9qy.png

I just hope Mechscape will be Runescape 3 and that we will be able to keep our characters, or, else, I'll stay in RS.

Yes, I really hope so too. If it isn't RS3 I will probably keep playing RS2.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

You know, I get more and more the feeling that JaGeX is 100% complete unoriginal...

What's next? "We have new games, Runeworld and Dragonscape, also, a new boss monster called The'Galin who drops the awsome Devourer weapons!"

But yeah, I don't really think I'll be playing it that much. RuneScape will always stay better than it.

Give a man a lighter, and he will be warm for a while.

Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

the firms strategy currently excluded female players but that weve got some plans there to redress the imbalance.

Hooray! Though I hope it's not too girly though like pink dragon weapons or fluffy dragon boots.

vv05c.png

[brought to you by the Cult of the Sacred Crate]

17th to 99 Smithing OSRS

the firms strategy currently excluded female players but that weve got some plans there to redress the imbalance.

Hooray! Though I hope it's not too girly though like pink dragon weapons or fluffy dragon boots.

I hope they don't hire unqualified people just to balance it out :?

About mechscape...I don't know, we'll just have to see. Might not even be around that long. :P

I just hope Mechscape will be Runescape 3 and that we will be able to keep our characters, or, else, I'll stay in RS.

MechScape is nothing like RuneScape.

However, members of RuneScape will be "offered" to keep their username for the launch of MechScape (as you can talk to people on MechScape via RuneScape and FunOrb).

The reason being is that to stop "posers" most widely the name "Zezima", so therefore, Zezima will be "offered" (and everyone else who's currently an RS member) to keep their username or "let it free" so to speak.

I can't see how this would not be Mechscape, but it's good that they have started to get on with release dates, even if they haven't admitted it's true name.

And I agree that trying to attract girls more than they have already is a lost cause. This genre of games attracts many times more boys than girls and it's impossible to target a certain gender without detracting from the other.

They will likely continue with the trend of accounts being universal for all Jagex games, the system which they have got going between Runescape and FunOrb has been innovative and beneficial to FunOrb's growing popularity, and it would be easy to branch it again into the Mechscape worlds. If it was a separate username database then inter-game communications would be too complicated, maybe even impossible, and growth for Mechscape would probably be poor. They've constructed their own spring-board, they may as well use it.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Hmm. Mabey Jagex will tell us whats happing at E3.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

English isn't my first language, so I was asking myself what the prefix "Mech" meant? It might be a clue...

Uh, Mechanical? You know, robots, futuristic. It's an attempt to describe an entire game in a prefix.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

It's gonna have to be damn good in order for me to restart an account for that game.

English isn't my first language, so I was asking myself what the prefix "Mech" meant? It might be a clue...

Uh, Mechanical? You know, robots, futuristic. It's an attempt to describe an entire game in a prefix.

That means it can't be a sequel to RS2... :wall:

WarBlastoise.png