America = the strongest country?

Lordtunkuta

A strong country has proud citizens, and I'm going to say Ireland wins that.

True That =D>

I wouldn't say they're the strongest country they just boast about being the strongest and try and as someone said previously "flex their muscles".

I'd say China would have more than a few muscles to flex if they bothered. They've the manpower and to technology to go a long way.

If they were both invading one country and ended up fighting between each other I'd say China would still win but as Skatedog111 says they'd both defend their countries pretty well.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that they are (if they are, they're not far from second place, China), but America certainly believes it is. It's not going to be long before America will no longer be the strongest country. I reckon their cockiness will be their downfall.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

China has the USA covered; both ecconomically and military. The US Dollar is in recession, military is purely based on voulenteers and the actual hardware is heading towards out-dated when you look at the majority of working samples. China on the other hand has the most combat ready units in the world, their hardware is weighted towards 'top end' in terms of units available. The only 'up' America has is nuclear weapons, and even then the government has to go through political red-tape in order to use them.

Military i'm not entirely confident about, although I still think America has much greater projection power, but economically? Please, China's rate of growth is huge but that's simply because they're mobilising a large labour force and are going through their industrial revolution. It still has a long, long way to match the economic power of the US. Japan went through a similar boom post-war but has been experiencing deflation over the past ten or so years. China's economic growth at the moment is not necessarily of their future performance. It's unsustainable long term. America's "recession" (I thought it was still just a slow down?) is probably long overdue.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Any country with more than a few hydrogen ICBMs is on an equal footing. None of them would allow themselves to be seriously attacked by another country without firing them off. That would end in mutual destruction, so no country would attack them in the first place.

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

A strong country has proud citizens, and I'm going to say Ireland wins that.

Nationalism and Patriotism...two overburdening qualities if you ask me. Why should you be proud of your country simply because you were born there by mere chance?

Spain and France each controlled more than twice (thrice, maybe...Not positive on the actual numbers) the amount of land in North America and England. England did control South Africa, India, and Australia though.

If we're talking about direct land mass acquired, then yes it's probably England, or the Mongolian khanate in the 12th century. The Roman empire was big but doesn't even nearly compare to those two.

the signing bonuses are a joke

I strongly disagree, for an unemployed/poor person, the army signing bonuses are a huge jackpot and a pathway into better life.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01266.html

More than 90 percent of the Army's new recruits since late July have accepted a $20,000 "quick ship" bonus to leave for basic combat training by the end of September, putting thousands of Americans into uniform almost immediately.

Many recruits who take the bonus -- scoring in many cases the equivalent of more than a year's pay -- leave their homes within days, recruiters said. The initiative is part of an effort by Army officials to meet year-end recruiting goals after a two-month slump earlier this year. With the fiscal year ending Sept. 30, the Army hopes the extra cash motivates those interested in joining or entices those just considering enlisting.

$20,000 is a gigantic load of cash for an unemployed person. That's more than you'd likely make working 1 year at McDonald's, just for signing up. You get salary on top of that.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/203/483548165_6f3006724a_o.jpg[/ig]

And thats at 60% of what it could have been, in the 1960's.

Imagine what they have now.

Its more of a contest between China and Russia, America comes in 3rd.

I wouldn't say that at all. Russia hardly passed into Democracy (I personally believe the KGB still controls most of the country, but whatever) and is a bit teetery right now. China, as Assassin said, is still tearing through its industrial revolution.

Now, if we attempted to invade either of them, we'd be toast, as Shinjula says. But if they tried to invade us, they'd be toast. That's pretty much a stalemate between the three superpowers.

So, militarily, I'd say we, Russia, and China are on pretty even footing. Economically, not even close. Not to mention the odds of China's troops' morale being low from the start are quite high. Seriously, would you want to be in a plane going to try and surpass America's air defenses? Quite.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

China would totally hand America it's [wagon] on a plate, 700 million soldiers compared to a population of 300 million. Your technologies aren't that dissimilar, its not a case like Iraq. America would be toast.

There's only one problem with all those soldiers. China doesn't have the food to feed them all. Add that to the probability of their supply line being cut if they were to invade, and they are toast. The U.S. on the other hand does have the food to feed all of our soldiers *cough obesity*. The defender AlWAYS has the advantage though, so if the U.S. tried to invade, the army would be engulfed. We also have the advantage of nuclear ICBMs and bombers. The Cold War may be over, but we still have nuclear bombers and missiles aimed at Russia ready to go 24/7 365 days a year incase things go sour over there. All that we would have to do is change the destination. In additon to that, the U.S. has many military installations in Eastern Europe and the Pacific whereas China has none. If it came to a war of whoever strikes first wins, the U.S. would win.

Also about the size of the Nuclear bombs; The size of the Hiroshima bomb compared to the others mean nothing. Those statistics are out of date, and bigger does not mean better. There are now hydrogen bombs 1000's of times more powerful than those. Plus the U.S. has hundreds of Nuclear missiles at the ready. Sure maybe 1 metropolitan area is destroyed by the Tzar Bomba, but every city in their country would be destroyed.

Here's a map of the allegiances I think other countries would make. Please keep in mind that I only based this on my (non expert) knowlege of American allies and that in reality China is an ally of the U.S.

[hide=]WORLDLEG-1.gif[/hide]

[hide=]

the signing bonuses are a joke

I strongly disagree, for an unemployed/poor person, the army signing bonuses are a huge jackpot and a pathway into better life.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01266.html

More than 90 percent of the Army's new recruits since late July have accepted a $20,000 "quick ship" bonus to leave for basic combat training by the end of September, putting thousands of Americans into uniform almost immediately.

Many recruits who take the bonus -- scoring in many cases the equivalent of more than a year's pay -- leave their homes within days, recruiters said. The initiative is part of an effort by Army officials to meet year-end recruiting goals after a two-month slump earlier this year. With the fiscal year ending Sept. 30, the Army hopes the extra cash motivates those interested in joining or entices those just considering enlisting.

$20,000 is a gigantic load of cash for an unemployed person. That's more than you'd likely make working 1 year at McDonald's, just for signing up. You get salary on top of that.

[/hide]

Know what they don't tell you? That bonus is thrown into your paycheck, taxed, and then given to you over an X number of months or years. You will never see the full 20,000 or however much it is. AND you must have good pros/cons each year to keep it otherwise they take it back. Signing bonuses really are a joke.

China would totally hand America it's [wagon] on a plate, 700 million soldiers compared to a population of 300 million. Your technologies aren't that dissimilar, its not a case like Iraq. America would be toast.

Right, because they have gone through the training we have, have the marksmanship we have, have the tactical training we have.....i seriously doubt that. No country would be throwing all of those soldiers into one place anyway so really debating the size of the total army is worthless.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

You know, maybe like 10-20 years ago there would have been no doubt that standalone, the US is strongest. But now the US is deep in debt from all their wars, the dollar is cheap, and the economy is not tip top. If there was a real war, you'd have to take in account allies, and strategy. Ally-wise, the US doesn't really have any, a lot of countries hate america and the others are just kinda neutral. Strategy-wise, I'd guess it depends on how smart the people working for both sides are.

2480+ total

Here's a map of the allegiances I think other countries would make. Please keep in mind that I only based this on my (non expert) knowledge of American allies and that in reality China is an ally of the U.S.

You forgot that Sweden is always neutral. ;)

You know, maybe like 10-20 years ago there would have been no doubt that standalone, the US is strongest. But now the US is deep in debt from all their wars, the dollar is cheap, and the economy is not tip top. If there was a real war, you'd have to take in account allies, and strategy. Ally-wise, the US doesn't really have any, a lot of countries hate america and the others are just kinda neutral. Strategy-wise, I'd guess it depends on how smart the people working for both sides are.

Britan has always been an ally, France has always been an ally with Britan. Those are pretty good ally's. No country is stupid enough to go to war now a days though.

prospektssigza4.jpg

Britan has always been an ally, France has always been an ally with Britan. Those are pretty good ally's. No country is stupid enough to go to war now a days though.

IMO France and UK are nothing more than neutral with the US. There's a huge difference between cooperation(what they're doing right now), and going into a full fledged war and get your soliders killed just to save USA's butt. IMO nobody is going to save the USA's butt if China/Russia decide to attack them.

2480+ total

IMO France and UK are nothing more than neutral with the US. There's a huge difference between cooperation(what they're doing right now), and going into a full fledged war and get your soliders killed just to save USA's butt. IMO nobody is going to save the USA's butt if China/Russia decide to attack them.

i'm of the same mind. :?

Lordtunkuta.png

:roll: Right now the countries are at a stalemate until the next "big" weapon.(Plus more power will come to the country who moves its people to other planets :thumbsup: )

Tzar bomb was used once, carrying it was near impossible with its 27ton weight(they took all non-essential things off that plane including most fuel tanks), and only one other replica was made that is known to the public and its in a museum now. Why do people even talk about it. So what if it was big then, it was over 40 years ago :roll: H-Bombs are the new thing.

Here's a map of the allegiances I think other countries would make. Please keep in mind that I only based this on my (non expert) knowlege of American allies and that in reality China is an ally of the U.S.

Sweden and Switzerland are always neutral. Odds are, all of the Norselands would be. Nowadays Egypt would side with us, and most of the Russian satellites would side with Russia, whomever they chose.

But, as has been said before, nowadays its just not all-out warfare. The "cool" thing is covert, urban warfare, in which Israel, the U.S., England, and Germany are most likely the top dogs.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Hmm what happened in WWI and WWII?

prospektssigza4.jpg

[bleep] yes. America is the most kick [wagon] country on the planet. And to all you people saying China would win, we'd send a can of Chuck Norris and he'd wipe the triangular hats right offa your heads.

People like you make us more intelligent Americans look bad.

I hope we go to war. This would come at a huge cost, and I mean HUGE, but take a moment to consider this. China is undersupplied, and Russia is crumbling. They are weaker than ever, and now is the perfect time to strike. The U.S. alone can take one, but not both. But just think about it. England, France, and much of Europe would stay to itself if it were defensive. However, most countries want Russia and China gone as much as we do. Afghanistan hates Russia, so they would likely aid in Europe. Japan has had it's eye on China, and if they got a shiny new military, they could do wonders with their technology.

It's an incomplete thought, so feel free to add to it.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

[bleep] yes. America is the most kick [wagon] country on the planet. And to all you people saying China would win, we'd send a can of Chuck Norris and he'd wipe the triangular hats right offa your heads.

People like you make us more intelligent Americans look bad.

Agreed, very much so.

I hope we go to war. This would come at a huge cost, and I mean HUGE, but take a moment to consider this. China is undersupplied, and Russia is crumbling. They are weaker than ever, and now is the perfect time to strike. The U.S. alone can take one, but not both. But just think about it. England, France, and much of Europe would stay to itself if it were defensive. However, most countries want Russia and China gone as much as we do. Afghanistan hates Russia, so they would likely aid in Europe. Japan has had it's eye on China, and if they got a shiny new military, they could do wonders with their technology.

It's an incomplete thought, so feel free to add to it.

I kind of see what you're getting at. Yes, I would love to see both countries gone but at the same time we've got a lot of problems here in America. My biggest question is, how would we fund the war? This stupid war in the Middle East has cost us a lot that could have gone to something much better, say this war against Russia/China. What did we gain from the war in the Middle East? A dead dictator and I'm sure those terrorists are scared to death of us [/sarcasm]. At least if we were taking out to large powers who are against us, we'd be accomplishing something.

It's that type of arrogance why countries in Europe and other areas now dislike America :-w

I'm so sorry for what seems to be the more intelligent smaller percentage of Americans, you did nothing to deserve it :(

What did we gain from the war in the Middle East? A dead dictator and I'm sure those terrorists are scared to death of us [/sarcasm].

Pretty true, the terrorists still aren't scared and the only real result of it is that it has stirred up more hate towards the Americans in the Middle East. They've basically encouraged more people to join the likes of Al-Qaeda by going in and destroying places like Baghdad and killing many civilians in the process.