America = the strongest country?

Lordtunkuta

We are at a low point right now with an all-volunteer army (many nations have conscripted armies that are much larger. And I mean combat troops) but we are definitely the strongest nation logistically.

The US has the second largest army in the world, I think, with first being China. And I'm pretty sure China's army is all-volunteer too (because if China had a draft they would have way more than 2.5 odd million).

But the US is definitely the strongest nation in the world. Second is probably Japan, followed by maybe China and then a bunch of European countries like Germany and the UK.

EDIT: Military is NOT the best indicator of how strong a country is, that honor being given to economy. It would certainly matter in a war, like if a country with a stronger military fought a country with a stronger economy (for example, Germany versus Russia in WWII), the first country would have a big head start. But the ability to fight a war =/= power.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strongest in what way though? America could destroy practically most countries in the world in war but most countries don't feel the need for such a giant, over-powered army. Money is better spent on Education and Healthcare than having a giant army and the most advanced weapons.

Isn't the American government supposed to be Trillions of Dollars in debt? If so your economy looks good but obviously isn't if you're Trillions in debt and facing a recession. Either way couldn't really care about how strong any country is as long as they don't pose a threat to safety or world peace. Then again Bush and his boys are just looking for a reason to make the middle east non-existent :-w

Actually China has a 24-month compulsory military service for ALL citizens aged 18-22, females are trained as well... According to CIA world factbook they have roughly some 700 million troops in available manpower, about 2x more than the entire US population. All officers are volunteers though.

Wouldn't say they're far behind in technology either, China has multiple nuclear weapons and it has very strong missile/anti-air technology, plus advanced standard issue assault rifles such as the next gen QBZ_95

China's only, or should I say main, problem is their unstable northern regions due to poverty, and the political situation of Tibet.

I think if China and the U.S. went to war conventionally, China would win simply with sheer numbers. But if you account for the United States' butt load ICBM nuclear weapons, strong(ish) missile defense, and superior air force and navy it could easily go either way. Most likely it would be a bitter stalemate with neither side gaining a foothold in either ones main land, or what is left of it.

I think if China and the U.S. went to war conventionally, China would win simply with sheer numbers. But if you account for the United States' butt load ICBM nuclear weapons, strong(ish) missile defense, and superior air force and navy it could easily go either way. Most likely it would be a bitter stalemate with neither side gaining a foothold in either ones main land, or what is left of it.

If that would happen either way both countries would be annihilated and a radioactive wasteland by the end of the war. Does either America or China have Hydrogen bombs? Nukes don't even compare to those :o

China has superior numbers, and if I remember correctly, more planes then us, but most of those planes are old MIGs.

Our air force is the strongest, much newer. Our navy is as well.

In terms of ground forces, we're strong, but china has numbers.

Of course a conventional war would be out of the question. For china to move it's whole army here it would be near impossible, as we have both a superior navy and air force.

It would also be very difficult for america to bring it's army there.

Though, america has enough nukes to cover the entire world in direct radiation (not just fallout), so in terms of pure power, america is on top.

Some facts are probably off, but this is just from memory

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

The only reason you guys are saying China can beat the US if they were fighting on a plain 300M vs 10M (or what the total US troops, including reserves) like ancient times. The US already has taken up strategic positions to attack China. The defense of Western United States will take place in the Pacific Ocean. Sending 100M men across the ocean is quite hard to cover up. And navy battle is useless without air power nowadays and since the US Airforce is the number one as of right now, I think the US can block off a naval invasion...the only type China can do on America. Same thing goes to China, I'm not sure if the US can reach China's shore but if they do then they won't last too long due to the massive reserves China has.

Ultimately if China and America go to war, it would be like the Pacific Theathre in WW2. Not fought on each others homeland but in the ocean.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

America the strongest country? much more debatable then 20 years ago lol, with the war in iraq, rising gas prices, falling of the dollar it really does seem like america has gone down a bit.

if china tried a militay invasion we'd nuke them, they'd nuke us, and the world would go to hell, IMO its best to look at the econmical power of a country then its militay making Europe look very nice. france with its 80% power coming from nuclear power plants makes it a very power country atlest imo. America's and china's dependence on gas could really run it into the ground in the next 10-15 years

legends2.jpg

If that would happen either way both countries would be annihilated and a radioactive wasteland by the end of the war. Does either America or China have Hydrogen bombs? Nukes don't even compare to those :o

All modern nukes are hydrogen bombs. Fission bombs are obsolete.

And the only way a nuclear war can possibly happen between two countries is if somewhere somehow a brain-dead monkey is assigned to be a high-ranking government official. I don't know why most people think that all-out war between two nuclear countries can result in even the possibility of the use of nukes.

America the strongest country? much more debatable then 20 years ago lol, with the war in iraq, rising gas prices, falling of the dollar it really does seem like america has gone down a bit.

The USA's economy is about three times the size of Japan's, the second largest in the world. It's position as most supreme isn't even close to debatable.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

We won the most wars, so yes?(correct me if I'm wrong)

We probably had the most wars or were involved in most wars.

We prob have the most nukes also, That im pretty sure of :anxious:

Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

94qbe.jpg

Do you mean in recent years? Because England has had many times more wars than the U.S..

lol, dude england dominated the world for a long time. reminds me of what australia was for a while... ANYONE get what im referring to?

We probably had the most wars or were involved in most wars.

We prob have the most nukes also, That im pretty sure of :anxious:

both, the original quote and following quote are more then likely... wrong. Just saying, does seem realistic.

Do you mean in recent years? Because England has had many times more wars than the U.S..

lol, dude england dominated the world for a long time. reminds me of what australia was for a while... ANYONE get what im referring to?

Don't get what you're saying about Australia, but I wouldn't say England dominated the world. France, Spain, and Holland were all about equal to them in all but navy status. Holland and Spain were probably a bit behind in economic status as well, but had massive landholdings. France controlled much of Africa, Spain controlled much of the Americas, and Holland controlled a fair piece of Asia.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Don't get what you're saying about Australia, but I wouldn't say England dominated the world. France, Spain, and Holland were all about equal to them in all but navy status. Holland and Spain were probably a bit behind in economic status as well, but had massive landholdings. France controlled much of Africa, Spain controlled much of the Americas, and Holland controlled a fair piece of Asia.

Who controlled the rest? North America, Australia, India, the other parts of Africa? Great Britian. And equal naval status...? Not at all. Sure they all had large powerful navy, but if your country is a island, your navy is gonna be the best. Britian's navy was the most powerful in the world for a long time and protected the country from mainland invasions, such as Napoleon.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Spain and France each controlled more than twice (thrice, maybe...Not positive on the actual numbers) the amount of land in North America and England. England did control South Africa, India, and Australia though.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

No one forces us to do this, we do it because we WANT to.

Oh no, unemployment is probably the #1 reason people join the military, or their fathers who've been talking about joining it since they could comprehend communication.

You have to realize that England dominated a much less educated and sophisticated world than we have today. I think that needs to be taken into account.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Spain and France each controlled more than twice (thrice, maybe...Not positive on the actual numbers) the amount of land in North America and England. England did control South Africa, India, and Australia though.

The point isn't who controls the most land, but who uses it the best. Spain had the western United States but left it pretty much unexplored in the 1700s. France's midwest lands weren't used much since it was so far away, and thus useless. England had the eastern part of North America, along the coast, (minus the St. Lawence Waterway) and used most of it. But regardless, the western, central, and northern North America weren't much of value if they didn't use it.

siggy3s.jpg

Oh no, unemployment is probably the #1 reason people join the military, or their fathers who've been talking about joining it since they could comprehend communication.

Your telling HIM why? And you don't think its because some people have a higher calling?

My carbon footprint is bigger than yours...and you know what they say about big feet.

These are the times that try mens souls...

Your telling HIM why? And you don't think its because some people have a higher calling?

I think, for the most part, people know what they're getting themselves into when they join the military.

No one forces them to sign that contract. You could probably make more working up through the McDonalds chain for a job then a short stint in the Military (not including any bonuses). Even then the signing bonuses are a joke.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

Well if you're going into history,the Turks were pretty strong back then,and Muslim invaders would constantly pick at French,Spanish,etc. territories.But in modern times,I'd say...yeah America would be strong.Though remember,its not a country,its 2 continents :lol:

Though North Korea or Russia (if they're still being secretive) might be stronger...You never know.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]