Meat lovers vs. Vegetarians

shooterbob7

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I am agnostic, therefore I believe someone put them on the Earth for us to eat.

:wall: Do you even have the faintest idea how stupid you sound? Agnosticism is about knowing that you do not know. That it is impossible to know certain issues, such as if God or the afterlife exist. Agnostics do NOT 'believe' and they certainly do not argue that one should eat meat because a higher being placed them on this earth for us.

Health reasons for eating meat, I accept. Enjoyment of it, I accept as well. I even accept 'because we can'. But because someone put them there for us to eat, that is just...

Well I am agnostic, therefore I believe someone put them on the Earth for us to eat.

:wall: Do you even have the faintest idea how stupid you sound? Agnosticism is about knowing that you do not know and that it is impossible to know in certain issues, such as religion. Agnostics do NOT 'believe' and they certainly do not argue that one should eat meat because a higher being placed them on this earth for us.

Health reasons for eating meat, I accept. Enjoyment of it, I accept as well. I even accept 'because we can'. But because someone put them there for us to eat, that is just...

Well whatever you call someone who believes in something but does not know what it is. I've never really researched into what I believe but someone said that it was being agnostic and I just called it that.

Well whatever you call someone who believes in something but does not know what it is. I've never really researched into what I believe but someone said that it was being agnostic and I just calle dit that.

I can see where the mistake happened. For your education ;): even agnostic theists, who actually believe in a God, acknowledge the fact that they actually can't know for sure, but believe anyway. Believing in 'something' without knowing what it is, but knowing for sure that it is, has little to do with agnosticism. Every agnostic recognises somehow that he really cannot know for certain.

Well whatever you call someone who believes in something but does not know what it is. I've never really researched into what I believe but someone said that it was being agnostic and I just calle dit that.

I can see where the mistake happened. For your education ;): even agnostic theists, who actually believe in a God, acknowledge the fact that they actually can't know for sure, but believe anyway. Believing in 'something' without knowing what it is, but knowing for sure that it is, has little to do with agnosticism.

Thanks, so I'm an agnostic theist? :?

Mmm, let's make this easier...

So, you believe there is some higher being, but you're not sure who he is, or what he is, or what form this 'higher something' takes? Right? Now comes the important question. Are you certain that there is this force, even though you don't know what it is?

If you are certain there is, you are not an agnostic theist.

If you're not sure, you are. Then you're saying, well, I believe there is a God, but I know I cannot be certain there is.

Sorry fot the OT-ness.

This kind of usage of religious terms is one thing that makes me either laugh or cry depending on my mood. Go to google for the meaning of agnostic (or read this post) before using them.

People do eat dogs in the East, and pigs are eaten too, the animals that are eaten are the animals that provide the best nourishment and the ones that can't offer any/little resistance; the ones that were put here in order to provide us with food.

Yea, I know really well that dogs are eaten in some parts of Asia. Infact I've tasted dog meat along with many other meats. What I've seen, the problem for us is that certain animals are morally something that we just can't bite and swallow.

If we get into the healthy food part, lets think it like this. An average westerner got either no idea or no interest in healthy foods. There's loads of people who still prefer McDonald's more than a wellprepared food containing good nutritional values. Many people even in this topic are claiming that getting proteins from vegetarian food is virtually impossible.

The food we are eating are the ones that we as consumers have chosen to. As the newests trends in the food prices have shown, food is just as much a trade instrument as oil for example. We as consumers buy things and the stores adjust their supply with our demands. Try putting dog meat for example to the store and you can be sure it affects negatively to your brand or image.

Cavemen used to eat Mammoths and things, as it was one of the best things for them to eat and one of the easiest things, they were put there to be eaten.

That again depends on the culture. In many various places people survived by collecting stuff from the forests (berries, seeds, roots, mushrooms, etc), hunting or fishing. The point of eating in those days was just to survive and you ate what you or your people just got into your hands. Now we are in a stage where (westerners) are too fat, can get more food than they will ever need and they only decide what to buy by their moral values, bank account limits, trends and tastes. When it comes to food, even our pet dogs eat better than these "cavemen" who you were relating to.

Carnivorous animals are eaten by other animals, as they are the best thing there for them to eat, this further proves my point that animals are made to be eaten.

It proves that different animals have different roles in the nature. Some animals have evolved into carnivors and that's it. They don't have any moral norms to follow, they eat what they can get and that's it. It's funny how many religious people claim they aren't animals when we talk about evolution and same time justify eating meat by comparing ourselves to the animals.

We can do our own decicions and our bodies have evolved into a stage where eating meat is just one alternative. That differs us from other animals when it comes to nutritional needs. We do not need meat to survive unlike many animals.

And I'd rather use the adjective "delicious".

What's your point?

My point was to correct the verb when we were talking about cows as a food. Anyways I don't agree that cow meat is delicious, more like normal and boring. If you want some delicious meats, go at least get something else than cow.

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

• 2 weeks later...

I am a Vegetarian and have been since I was 6! The funny thing is I had no reason whatsoever for becoming a Vegetarian, but now I've gone past the point of no return, so yeah...

My Last.Fm

LeekSpinner!!!

Random Furry Dance!!!

Proud to hate life, since not too long ago!!!

I am a vegetarian of sorts. I am texture sensitive, so I don't enjoy eating meats that haven't been well processed or thinly sliced (other than chicken). But its not because I don't want the little cows to die. Its just because I don't feel like gagging a lot when I eat meat.

But some of my friends are vegetarian, I don't get them. They say that its so mean to kill all of the little piggys and cows and chickens and other farm animals. But as it has already been mentioned: they're dead. I bet the animals would be happier to know that they were put to good use than to be thrown out to rot so that the flies that bothered them all their lives can prosper. Well, it sort of all ends up that way though. But eating them gives a 72 hour+ delay of it.

Shaniqua.png

I am a Vegetarian and have been since I was 6! The funny thing is I had no reason whatsoever for becoming a Vegetarian, but now I've gone past the point of no return, so yeah...

The point of no return...? Is this a crappy Disney pirate movie? :?

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

The point of no return...? Is this a crappy Disney pirate movie? :?

No it's a crappy Disney haunted house ride based movie.

On topic: You really don't need a reason to do something life changing. Reasons for doing things sometimes just complicate things. If you wanna do something that isn't illegal, or unethical if you run a business/ are married, then just do it.

wailord.png

If you choose your beliefs/lifestyle simply based on what your parents want, then you are a weak minded individual and are not even worthy of calling yourself a person.

But some of my friends are vegetarian, I don't get them. They say that its so mean to kill all of the little piggys and cows and chickens and other farm animals. But as it has already been mentioned: they're dead. I bet the animals would be happier to know that they were put to good use than to be thrown out to rot so that the flies that bothered them all their lives can prosper. Well, it sort of all ends up that way though. But eating them gives a 72 hour+ delay of it.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. It's not like animals live out their lives and then when they die they are processed/sold for food. They are bred in farm factories, heavily abused, slaughtered in inhumane ways (bleed to death, boiled to death, etc.) and THEN shipped off to be sold. Perhaps I misunderstood you, but it sounded like you were assuming that animals were only sold for food after they had died of natural causes.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. It's not like animals live out their lives and then when they die they are processed/sold for food. They are bred in farm factories, heavily abused, slaughtered in inhumane ways (bleed to death, boiled to death, etc.) and THEN shipped off to be sold. Perhaps I misunderstood you, but it sounded like you were assuming that animals were only sold for food after they had died of natural causes.

My point was is that the meat is already out for you to eat. Why waste it? Its sort of like for school lunches, some vegetarians just don't eat it if it has meat in it and resort to having just the tater tots or something. Then the meat just gets thrown into a pile of food where it gets shipped off to rot.

Shaniqua.png

To each his own.

In my opinion, we shouldn't judge people on whether they eat meat, or not. It is entirely their choice, i happen to know a handful of vegetarians, all seemingly healthy, and it hasn't altered their personality one bit.

Why are you bringing religion into something as trivial as what kind of food you eat, i mean seriously there are bigger issues.

Personally i can't imagine being a vegetarian, but for those who think it makes a difference, it's their choice, why should we be constantly trying to preach that one way of life is better than the other? To be honest, IS THERE ANY POINT? If someone is a vegetarian does it hugely affect the way you live your life? NO, so stop acting like it does.

Choices are there to be made, not to be judged.

There are many pros and cons to both sies of the arguement, and neither side is without faults. Why try and convert people to your way just because you think it is better? the truth is, there is no right answer, and until i am given solid proof that there is a direct link between the type of food you eat (only meat and vegetables, no fast food, as this has been proven to affect your lifestyle massively) and your personality i will continue to believe that everyone has the right to eat what they wish and to not be judged for it.

Complaining about something which frankly, isn't your business never got anyone anywhere.

As i have said, i do eat meat, and i try to eat a balanced diet, and i'm healthy, but i know vegetarians who are heatlhy. however, one thing i do know, is that my brother simply can't eat vegetables, they make him ill and he has terrible acne, i'm confident there is a link between what you eat, and what happens to your body in many ways.

Thanks for reading, Flame away

wee_man317.png

It's been proven that it's unhealthy to live on vegetables alone, and potentially fatal to live on just meat. I love food generally but for me the meat is the centre of any meal, it's also key to physical strength. I personally think someone has to be fairly wierd to be a vegetarian, but really if they don't want to eat meat, who am I to stop them?

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

To each his own.

In my opinion, we shouldn't judge people on whether they eat meat, or not. It is entirely their choice, i happen to know a handful of vegetarians, all seemingly healthy, and it hasn't altered their personality one bit.

Why are you bringing religion into something as trivial as what kind of food you eat, i mean seriously there are bigger issues.

Personally i can't imagine being a vegetarian, but for those who think it makes a difference, it's their choice, why should we be constantly trying to preach that one way of life is better than the other? To be honest, IS THERE ANY POINT? If someone is a vegetarian does it hugely affect the way you live your life? NO, so stop acting like it does.

Choices are there to be made, not to be judged.

There are many pros and cons to both sies of the arguement, and neither side is without faults. Why try and convert people to your way just because you think it is better? the truth is, there is no right answer, and until i am given solid proof that there is a direct link between the type of food you eat (only meat and vegetables, no fast food, as this has been proven to affect your lifestyle massively) and your personality i will continue to believe that everyone has the right to eat what they wish and to not be judged for it.

Complaining about something which frankly, isn't your business never got anyone anywhere.

As i have said, i do eat meat, and i try to eat a balanced diet, and i'm healthy, but i know vegetarians who are heatlhy. however, one thing i do know, is that my brother simply can't eat vegetables, they make him ill and he has terrible acne, i'm confident there is a link between what you eat, and what happens to your body in many ways.

Thanks for reading, Flame away

Why bring religion into this? Because vegetarianism is a big deal in several large religions .

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

~I'm no meat-lover, but then again, i'm no veggie either. I don't often like the way animals are reared for food, but then again there's people living in the same/worse conditions than the chicken did before it was plucked and gutted and put on your plate.

I don't see how people have to have meat with every meal though. not only is it not very ethical, but it's also not very healthy. when we were all prehistoric cavemen you might of only had meat every 2 weeks or so, varying throughout the year of course. our bodies arn't really designed for all this protein.

And another thing. I went out with my ex-girlfriend for lunch once and i ordered a vege-lasagne. Not only did the waitress give me a funny look, but so did my ex! Seriously, things don't have to contain meat to be gorgeous. (and that lasagne was gorgeous)

sig4.png

My point was is that the meat is already out for you to eat. Why waste it? Its sort of like for school lunches, some vegetarians just don't eat it if it has meat in it and resort to having just the tater tots or something. Then the meat just gets thrown into a pile of food where it gets shipped off to rot.

If they eat processed foods like tater tots, they aren't good vegetarians. In most factories (or wherever that sort of food is made) animal fats and the like are very important ingrediants.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

If you are vegetarian by religious reasons, why try to force those beliefs on someone else? Like i said, vegetarianism is a choice for most people. If you're religious, that's your choice, personally i don't believe in any of the religions, but if you're not religious, why use religion as a basis for an arguement? a lot of people take religious quotes out of context which can seriously flaw their points.

Sure, it's against Buddhist beliefs to eat meat, as someone said, but just because they are, why should you be allowed to use their views as a basis for your own arguemnt if you don't believe in the same gods, etc as them. Until you convert to buddhism, you can't use their "laws"

Also, as i have said, i have no problems with people being vegetarian, or not it's a choice. But i can't stand people who think religion should have an effect on everybody, why should i be told that certain religions don't eat meat by someone who isn't of that religion, isn't that sort of preaching their religion on me?

wee_man317.png

There are for and against arguments for both sides, a friend of mine is a vegan, she literally pukes at the thought of eating meat, nothing to do with her beliefs or anything. Myself I like veg and meat, and have a healthy balance of both as we as humans were designed for just that. Feasting ONLY on veg or only on meat in my books is not a good thing as you need both, also, our teeth bare the legacy of both vegetarian and meat eaters.

One thing that I find kind of amusing: Hindus don't eat Beef as the cow is considered a sacred animal, but looking back in the past to find out why reveals that they didn't eat beef as it goes rotten quickly in hot countries. So the original reason was that it was just not practical, but now days we have fridges so that is not an issue anymore, too late as the original reason has been slurred and guess what, it's now religious!

The crunch is, do what ya like, don't force your eating habits on anyone, but get a balanced diet.

Simple really!