Meat lovers vs. Vegetarians

shooterbob7

•  
    [*:91tlauqv] Most of the people I know would never eat an animal they just saw get slaughtered.

[*:91tlauqv] Quite a few people refuse eating 'cute' animals, because they have a right to live and continue being 'cute'.

[*:91tlauqv] Hardly any meat-eater would eat another human being. A human has a brain and a nervous system just like animals. Saying that we are superior is hypocrisy.

Dude, human tastes like crap. Know anything about shark attacks?

[sn]

In fact, more deaths occur every year from coconuts falling on peoples' heads than from shark attacks. :thumbsup:

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sharks don't eat humans because we're not seals. They attack thinking we are, but realise we aren't and leave. Why most shark attacks are not fatal.

More on topic (only read first 3 pages, so I may have missed something), but I don't care about any vegetarian arguments. As long as I am able to get it, I will eat meat in all its forms (well, almost all). I don't give a damn how it's killed, where it's killed, what they use to kill it, or how much it suffered. Don't try to convince me otherwise, numerous attempts have already been made. I acknowledge that a non-meaty lifestyle is just as healthy, if not more so, but I still don't care. I know the stuff that could be in the meat, but it hasn't killed me yet. I've read multiple books on the subject, articles, etc. And the bottom line is, I don't care. I'm eating me a nice, juicy hambyrger, pork chops, a big leg of turkey, all of it. I don't care what you eat, go ahead and veganize yourself. But I'm eating meat, and that's that.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Do you think a hungry grizzly bear would think twice about eating you in the wild? It wouldn't...

Im not using that as an excuse. To be frank, we don't need an excuse. There is nothing wrong with eating meat in general because we were meant to eat meat. Human's earliest forms, such as homo habilis, ate meat, and the members of other genus's that humans evolved from did too.

So meat, in general, is morally fine to eat. It's how things have always been. BUT when you get into slaughter houses, cages and steroids, that's where I take up issue, because of the significant advantage we have over other animals now. That's why I prefer hunting, and even though today we have huge advantages there, It's still more moral than mass-produced chicken and beef, not to mention more healthy.

picture7eo0.png

Well honestly, meat is delicious... BUT that's not why I eat it..

Listen, I don't generally share this, but I'm a lay (not an ordained monk) Ma[racist term]a Buddhist and I eat meat every day. This is because I know how essential it is to good nutrition, and because I was born a meat-eater, not a buddhist.

You may think that vegetarians are being extremely healthy with their bouts amongst the vegetables (and they are), but more important parts of their health do suffer. Why? The lack of protein of course! A stalk of asparagus and a leaf of lettuce isn't going to give you the protein you need. Without that, and especially if you're an avid athlete, you'll find yourself not building muscle, your bones will become weaker, and you'll probably become tired a lot quicker!

Vegetarians do have their supplements for protein like protein shakes and power bars... but those are unnatural, and don't give you enough of what you need.

Not quite true - vegetarians can get protein from legumes and fulfill essential amino acid requirements from legumes and other veggie foods. They don't need protein shakes if they know what foods to eat.

http://www.clima.uwa.edu.au/schools/legumes

http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/clinical/ ... egumes.htm

Well, I do eat meat with every full meal. Except breakfast, unless it's like full English :)

When you say you eat the other things, that must mean you eat more of it, no? Because in the normal quantities that would accompany meat, that certainly wouldn't be enough. Now, Im not knowledgeable about the ways of vegetarians, so I'm sort of questioning. No answer needed though.

picture7eo0.png

Ok, i love animals, but i do do eat meat. What i don't get is why do people not eat meat? First of

all, you may not like meat because of the way they kill them or that they should be free, but if you think about it, vegetables are living creatures too.They are made of cells and grow. So why eat a living vegetable but not a piece of juicy steak? :mrgreen: Also, if you are vegetarian, why do you eat foods in the shape of meat like veggie burgers and veggie dogs.Your trying to back away from meat, not be hippocritical. the irony!

The only justification in this is that Hinduists don't want to risk eating their own grandfather reincarnated into that juicy steak. :oops:

As for plants being living organisms, unless you're hinduist, plants are mindless same with animals. Their minds are very primitive and their only purpose is to either control the populations of other animals or feed other animals (us or other carnivores).

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

On a similar note with Buddhist beliefs, I don't think thats a risk that needs to be worried about. I don't know much on Hinduism, but in Buddhism there are several realms of existence to be reincarnated in. These include human realm, animal realm, hungry ghost ream, etc.

So, there's the small chance that a relative of mine or somebody I knew was born into the life of the cow that provided for my beef tips, out of every cow in the world, and then there's the question if they were even born into the animal realm. It's more likely to me that they were born into another human body.

picture7eo0.png

On a similar note with Buddhist beliefs, I don't think thats a risk that needs to be worried about. I don't know much on Hinduism, but in Buddhism there are several realms of existence to be reincarnated in. These include human realm, animal realm, hungry ghost ream, etc.

So, there's the small chance that a relative of mine or somebody I knew was born into the life of the cow that provided for my beef tips, out of every cow in the world, and then there's the question if they were even born into the animal realm. It's more likely to me that they were born into another human body.

It depends. The "better" a person performs in his or her lifetime the higher they will go up. And likewise when going down.

And there are six realms:

Human

Animal

Asura (immortals)

"Angels" or Divinity (not Asura)

Demons

Hungry Ghosts, I like to call them Ghasts like from Mort Myre in Rs :thumbsup:

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

Well, I do eat meat with every full meal. Except breakfast, unless it's like full English :)

When you say you eat the other things, that must mean you eat more of it, no? Because in the normal quantities that would accompany meat, that certainly wouldn't be enough. Now, Im not knowledgeable about the ways of vegetarians, so I'm sort of questioning. No answer needed though.

Well, I mean you don't eat the meat straight do you? Some people have it in pasta, others eat it alongside mash potatoes and corn and stuff. I mean we eat everything you do except for meat. When people think of vegetarians they think of people sitting down munching on celery or something. It's not like that.

Well, I'm not an Buddhist myself (or an expert for the matter), but I understood that part of the Noble Path is not eating meat, or eating as little as necessary. Not because you risk eating your grandpa, but because you shouldn't harm, cause pain or take life from any other human or animal.

Isn't that a much more moral reason not to eat meat than re-incarnation?

This signature is intentionally left blank.

It depends. The "better" a person performs in his or her lifetime the higher they will go up. And likewise when going down.

And there are six realms:

Human

Animal

Asura (immortals)

"Angels" or Divinity (not Asura)

Demons

Hungry Ghosts, I like to call them Ghasts like from Mort Myre in Rs :thumbsup:

You're pretty close there. What we Buddhists call Samsara (basically referring to the world and meaning an ocean of suffering) is comprised of those, being differed kinds of suffering; each with it's own nature. Commonly they're known as (from least most amount of suffering to greatest)

the hell realms

hungry ghost realms

animal realm

demi-god realm

god realm

human realm (the most important because here we can practice the dharma, which is the buddhist teachings)

So... the chances that a relative was born into my steak, with all of the possible realms, and all of the possible cows to be born into, and of all animals to be born into, are very slim. SO, spiritually speaking meat eating is not an issue for me, because of that and again, meat is not an attachment and therefore not an obscuring the nature of my mind (buddha nature; nirvana).

picture7eo0.png

Well, I'm not an Buddhist myself (or an expert for the matter), but I understood that part of the Noble Path is not eating meat, or eating as little as necessary. Not because you risk eating your grandpa, but because you shouldn't harm, cause pain or take life from any other human or animal.

Isn't that a much more moral reason not to eat meat than re-incarnation?

Well, parts of the 8 fold path, such as right action and livelihood (if you deeply understand them) do imply this, such as right livelihood stating that you should earn a living that does not breach good conduct. For example not dealing in the slaughtering of animals. BUT, the way I see it, even though you possibly endorse the violent mass-slaughtering of animals by eating certain meats, you are not directly harming the animal. Also, the first of the precepts (vows) is not to kill.

We're told not to do something just out of reverence for somebody or something; do it because it works for you. So, I'm not going to stop eating meat for the reasons implied in my buddhist texts, because I sttiiill don't see it as interfering with my practice... besides, in my prayer book there is a mantra for blessing meat before eating it.

picture7eo0.png

i have nothing against eating meat. food chains/wbes are made up of animals eating other animals. not all animals can eat meat because of how their body is structure, but humans CAN eat meat, so why the hell not! We are just animals after all, strictly speaking.

and treat animals as your equaly blah blah blah... i wouldnt kill the animal myself if it was a life or death situation, but that doesnt meen i cant eat it =D

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

Uninteresting topic. People who don't want to eat meat shoudln't eat meat, and people who want to eat meat should eat meat. What is there to discuss?

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Well i'm allergic to nuts already, so becoming vegetarian/vegan would limit my diet too much. The "May contain traces of nuts" disclaimer really annoys me <.< . That's stuck on almost everything that looks nice.

Also, meat is ftw. Lamp chops anyone? <3:

Hoho, I see what you did there.

As other people have said, I prefer well-hunted meat to anything from a store. But, hey, as we've gotten more "civilized" you just can't feed a city from hunting alone, just as you couldn't feed a city from gathering berries and the such.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Ok, i love animals, but i do do eat meat. What i don't get is why do people not eat meat? First of

all, you may not like meat because of the way they kill them or that they should be free, but if you think about it, vegetables are living creatures too.They are made of cells and grow. So why eat a living vegetable but not a piece of juicy steak? :mrgreen: Also, if you are vegetarian, why do you eat foods in the shape of meat like veggie burgers and veggie dogs.Your trying to back away from meat, not be hippocritical. the irony!

The only justification in this is that Hinduists don't want to risk eating their own grandfather reincarnated into that juicy steak. :oops:

As for plants being living organisms, unless you're hinduist, plants are mindless same with animals. Their minds are very primitive and their only purpose is to either control the populations of other animals or feed other animals (us or other carnivores).

First of all...it is Hinduism. and those are practice it are Hindus.

Second..being Hindu, I take offense to your primitive/ignorant mindset about why some of us dont eat meat.

Let me explain fully. If you are Hindu, cow is sacred and must not be killed/eaten/defiled. End of story. Chicken, fish, eggs, and goat are pretty much what is "meat" for us. There are 4 castes(social classes )and Brahmins are at the top. They are forbidden from eating meat because animals are like people and we must respect that. They have feelings too.

The rest of the 3 castes can eat meat if they want to. It just depends on how religious you are. I am in this class and thus I have a choice. I chose meat.

As for the whole reincarnation concept...it has nothing to do with eating "meat". It only comes into play if you eat crows.

100% F2P

85 Mining achieved on Dec 4, 2007

85 Smithing achieved on May 28, 2009

anim7.png