Dragonlordjl

If there was any doubt before...

Adam Tuckwell is the Safety Minister and Head of PR at Jagex. He was proud to talk to me about Runescape's effort to make the game a safe environment for under children under the age of 13. Previously, players had to to be 13+ to play the game. Runescape launched the under 13 game in June. This provides a Quick Chat interface, and children under 13 can only see Quick Chat text from other players of the under 13 game. This game is Coppa compliant, and have been awarded Best in Class by the IWF (Internet Watch Foundation). Since the launch of the under 13 game, Jagex has seen a 40% increase in Runescape registrations.

In the Quarter 2 or 3 of 2009, the Parental Controls dashboard will be launched. This provides parents with the means to set how often and how long their children can play Runescape, set various chat settings and have various controls over their children's Friends List such as the ability to add friends with or without parental approval.

Just as MUDs were the precursors to MMORPGs, Henrique described Runscape as a Junior MMORPG. A great training ground for other MMORPGs. For players interested in a slower paced game, a game where character development is based on skills and quests, I recommend checking Runescape out. It's free to play, after all.

Source: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/37/feature/2065

It's now perfectly clear, without a doubt, that Jagex has downshifted and is wholly marketing the game to kiddies. I am repulsed by this development, and quite frankly, it makes me consider terminating my membership. :wall:

td2sig.jpg

You want to terminate your membership because Jagex decided to implement safety features and an optional time constraint?

And I thought the Trade Limit Quitters were silly. -.-

No witty signatures for me :(

You want to terminate your membership because Jagex decided to implement safety features and an optional time constraint?

And I thought the Trade Limit Quitters were silly. -.-

These updates will bring in an influx of young children, further dragging the already-ailing community into the gutter.

Also, the principle behind this is that they are blatantly marketing the game to kiddies. Previously, they always maintained that the game was aimed at young adults, but that will no longer be true.

td2sig.jpg

yes, little kiddies who will not be able to talk normally. it wont be the increase we saw with miniclip (yes lots of you 'miniclippers' are great players but lets face it, there was an unwanted increase) it will almost be like disorganized bots who occasionally use quickchat... not my idea of the end of the world

The age restriction never stopped children from playing before. If anything, we'll see an influx of young players spamming with quick chat, and I'd personally rather hear "Where can I find Item: Armadyl Godsword", than "noob noob noob noob LOL" all day.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Young children doesn't neccessarily mean immature children, and I see no problem with them marketing towards under 13's. However, you are entitled to your own opinion, and I respect that.

No witty signatures for me :(

The age restriction never stopped children from playing before. If anything, we'll see an influx of young players spamming with quick chat, and I'd personally rather hear "Where can I find Item: Armadyl Godsword", than "noob noob noob noob LOL" all day.

That's a good point. :(

td2sig.jpg

Ok well I won't quit over it... but goodness... This will suck big time.

This just means Jagex will introduce even more pointless easy quests and other mini quests like the Security places :wall: and not to mention the come to be, over populated abundance of even more noobs :ohnoes:

I don't like to rant and I know that Jagex is a company like ever other, just trying to get more business and expand. But I personally won't be looking forward to more kid players (no offense, but I'm just not a fan) and more pointless updates by Jagex

bike.png

Suggest a poll for Tip.it - Here!

Oh no the kiddies are coming! I won't be able to talk to any of my current friends or other mature players as I'll be blocked by childish aura, Runescape is doomed! Clans will disband, Tip.it will shut down, why oh why is this happening? :-#

Previously known as Monkeybeast0.

Walkman1022.jpeg

Ok so Everquest must be for kiddies as well, as well as games like Unreal Tournament and other shooters and consoles that have any sort of parental controls or optional time constriction.

OMG helping parents! How does this mean Jagex is developing wholly for kiddies? A lot of MMOs are doing this.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

think about it in a positive way,

those children probably wont get members subscription from theire parents, mean they will do stuff bots normally do,

yews will go down, ores, bars etc...

they wil buy more weapons etc...

so rune and addy items will go up^^

good for slayers ::'

Im not worried about spam and junk like that. If were lucky, most of them wont be able to figure quickchat out, and will quit after a few months. Im worried that jagex will think that, since so many little kids are playing, we need to make more kid friendly updates aimed for low levels, since, lets face it, all the new players are low, and we gotta make sure theyre having fun.

I hope we dont see an increase in stupid, low level updates in the next few months. :pray: :(

BOO

big deal, jagex wanted to make more money, woopidy doo! its a business. this mostly affects f2p, if u are f2p u are used to young players anyway. imo high lvl players who are rude(i.e. omg u use a bgs at fire giants what a waste of time) are worse than kids who dont know any better.

just to let u know, i will play monopoly again even though right on the box it says it for players 6 and up.

eww a six year old can play it! im too cool to do that!(thats a young player in my mind, age wise or mental capacity wise.)

:?

mmmorgan.png

Mmmorgan.png

dragonlorddjl is just mad cause he is going to have to look at lots more people saying lol and noob

check his siggy

plz plz plz from now on plz dont use capital letters or commas periods or any other correct grammer

more kids play video games less kids getting into trouble

support video games for kids :!:

mmmorgan.png

Mmmorgan.png

Jagex probably isn't marketing to kids. They're just making the game safe for any kids who happen to be playing. They probably see it as more of a moral obligation than a marketing tool. Sure, they could take the easy way out and just say kids under 13 can't play, but there's no logical reason not to let them play, other than protecting them, and they'd probably just lie about their age anyway. A lot of them will probably still lie about their age, but I'm sure a few won't now, and they'll be safer, and I'm sure that Jagex will feel much better knowing that at least some kids are safer.

I don't think this is going to be a big deal. How are the parents even going to know about this update themselves?

derrick44444.png

derrick44444.png

Wc'ing my way to 99 (Wish me luck)

oh crap, more kids are going to play a game intended for kids. what the hell is up with that?

I think this is a great idea. Now annoying kids that happen to not lie about their age can't sass people in a vain attempt to be cool. And the parental thing sounds perfectly reasonable to be. Kids shouldn't be spending all their time playing a game. Maybe it will stop the influx of underage Runescape no life nerds.

This sounds a hell of a lot better than having little kids who lied about their age running around being immature. At least they can be controlled somewhat. And after all it is only for kids under 13.

I don't see this as effecting me directly, as I tend to steer away from ftp worlds if I can. But, as mentioned younger kids do not necisarily mean less mature people. It will probably add to an influx of newbs not n00bs. I remember when all my friends and I was a yungin' to RS. I don't necisarily remember galavanting around annoying people...oh well.

Hey!...I starting playing RS through Miniclip! I remember when my best friend called me (hey we were ten), and said "Hey! Gus what? Runescape has an actual website!" Boy was I suprised to find that RS wasn't invented and run by Miniclip. :oops:

3772841190_eba9dc52b2.jpg

Just as MUDs were the precursors to MMORPGs, Henrique described Runscape as a Junior MMORPG. A great training ground for other MMORPGs.

What...? -.- :evil:

Most of the people I know who play RS at any decent level are about 16 or above, and to say "Runscape" is a "Junior MMORPG" makes me think that if I ever go to f2p there are gonna be a lot of kids.

This parental dashboard system sounds exactly the type of thing that people play MMORPGs to avoid - the controll of their abilities and desires by their parents.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

YES more wannabe player mods, im gonna be permanent mute and i knows it

Could be worse, jagezx could 'av taken away the closin tuimes in the locarl tahverns.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

Oh joy! Time limits and other parental controls! I already have time limits on the computer!

Gf Jagex

I like chocolate chip pancakes

DO YOU?

Subway765.png

Barrows:Guthans Warspear x1

Dragon:Shield left half

Reading some of the responses on the first page, there's a good solution to this. When it is launched, turn everything to friends. Problem solved.

This isnt gonna help the false ideas parents have in their heads, like "everyone online is a 40 year old guy in his underwear trying to molest little kids." I swear next jagex is gonna come out with a rule called: molestation attempt (yes I know that would fall under asking for rl details.

I also take it as an insult they said it was a training ground for other mmorpgs. I tried WoW the most popular mmorpg out there, and I didn't like it. I'm 16 and if I wanna play rs I will. In p2p a good majority of the people are p2p, which that review obviously didn't try p2p. Most reviews don't try anything if it's optional.