If there was any doubt before...

Dragonlordjl

I'm guessing Jagex is going to move their 'mature content' onto MechScape and leave RuneScape in the kiddie pool.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats next? Another Feature on the Lower/Higher graphics system that removes blood off the walls/floors? :lol:

sgsagssighe6.jpg

the trick is to balance all of these methods to get 99 and either play real life or train another skill while farming.

635th to 99 Farming 12/16/07

I'm guessing Jagex is going to move their 'mature content' onto MechScape and leave RuneScape in the kiddie pool.

So godswords are gonna become a tradable rare, as if they arnt overpriced already.

It's official now, I suppose. It's a shame things have come to this. Mature members of the community will get more and more strangled by the wave of youngsters. We're already treated like idiots with the filter, the overly strict rules, and the updates to make things "safer". A way around this would be to make "adult" servers (16+), with reduced filtering, and a solid way to block youngsters out, where hopefully a mature community may thrive. If Jagex fails to create something like that, might as well switch games.

2480+ total

Oh this is just great.

I guess we can call what we have now "RuneScape Classic" & what's to come "RuneScape Junior".

Just have to ignore it I guess.

Only fear God,

Know the weapons of the weak,

The weakness of the hard.

I think the older players will still stay. What makes RS great is watching it develop. Its not a "junior MMO" for us. New players go "wtf is a wildy?" We all know the bloodshed, ice barraging, tagging, clan wars, and all that jazz. We all know how to go about the game doing what we love, and Im pretty sure existing content wont be changed much for newer players. The structure and storyline of the game is what keeps the older players going.

This is just a stick in the sand.

blood_argon.gif

99 Crafting :: 39,750th || 99 Attack :: 1,775th

I think alot of people are overreacting. I don't really think there will be waves upon waves of kids coming into the server. And to be honest, how many people really pay attention what goes on public chat. On rare occasions to I find someone decent to talk to in public chat and then I might pay attention to it, but besides that I stick to cc and private chat.

derrick44444.png

derrick44444.png

Wc'ing my way to 99 (Wish me luck)

I agree that people are overreacting. Yeah, there are plenty of idiots that will call you a noob no matter what you do. They were here last year and they will still be here. Not all of these idiots are under 13. I've met plenty of under 13s that are very mature, and I could have a decent conversation with them.

Also, if somebody bothers you wirh 'noob noob noob LOLOLOL' or the a q p thing or whatever, ignore them. that button is there for a reason.

Seventi.png

The head of games content at Jagex is now describing RS is a "Junior" MMORPG, how is being concerned about that overreacting? That guarantees a lot of bad stuff for mature players, and not only optional settings. Jagex used to take a "laissez-faire"(let go) stance on everything in the game. Now they're touching to everything to make it idiot-proof. It would not matter if nothing else was affected but now we know they're going to carve RS with young children in mind. Saying you don't care and that the "interesting" things will still be there is the equivalent of saying that you don't care that you're in kindergarten as long as you've got a blackboard to write math equations on, but never mind that everyone around you has just recently stopped wetting their pants. Might as well play a grindy single player game if community is nothing to you.

Unless something is made to separate the children community, and the mature one, things will simply get worse from here on.

I can tell you've forgotten or have never known what a friendly and mature community is, and what big a difference it makes.

2480+ total

1) I thought that players under 13 could only use QuickChat. This means that while yes, there are children in the game, they CANNOT speak with their own freedoms.

2) I thought that the parental dashboard was for PARENTS.

3) I thought that players had gotten over the xenophobic pedophobia associated with younger players. Are we honestly not mature enough to play with children < 13, or am I the only one that it doesn't faze?

EDIT: If you can't tell from my sardonic train of thought there, I can't believe that they're genuinely marketing the game for younger people. Consider that GTA is marketed at a mature/adult audience; that sure as hell doesn't stop 14 year olds from playing it, now does it?

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

it's nice with parent controll, but if something they release affects me....Then they are [bleep] heads.

1) I thought that players under 13 could only use QuickChat. This means that while yes, there are children in the game, they CANNOT speak with their own freedoms.

2) I thought that the parental dashboard was for PARENTS.

3) I thought that players had gotten over the xenophobic pedophobia associated with younger players. Are we honestly not mature enough to play with children < 13, or am I the only one that it doesn't faze?

EDIT: If you can't tell from my sardonic train of thought there, I can't believe that they're genuinely marketing the game for younger people. Consider that GTA is marketed at a mature/adult audience; that sure as hell doesn't stop 14 year olds from playing it, now does it?

With kids around: There will be questions, alot more. More begging too...

You forget: kids at young age do what someone at higher age do. So if a 6 year old kid sees a 13 year say "gimme gold", the 6 year old kid will follow and do same thing.

+We are becoming kinda "Parents" for these kids under 13, that's not our responsibility.

We are on Runescape for fun of it...not the responsibility of keeping kids safe. If jagex wants to keep kids safe they should have a 14-15 age limit on RS...not 13 and down..

I see...I am now playing a game for kiddies under 13. Ouch.

This is why we have all the updates "child-proofing" everything and making it "safe" for the kids. :shock:

We're already treated like idiots with the filter, the overly strict rules, and the updates to make things "safer"

Agreed.

We're already treated like idiots with the filter, the overly strict rules, and the updates to make things "safer"

Agreed.

So...

You believe it's for the best if players are able to curse like sailors?

You believe it's for the best if the rules were made so that the more fortunate players held the advantages? [Read]

You believe it's a bad idea to improve barriers around dangerous parts of the game? [Read]

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg

Agreed.

So...

You believe it's for the best if players are able to curse like sailors?

You believe it's for the best if the rules were made so that the more fortunate players held the advantages? [Read]

You believe it's a bad idea to improve barriers around dangerous parts of the game? [Read]

You believe ruining tons of game fun for thousands of players should be done?

You believe Online gaming is good for kids under 13?

You believe adult players haven't suffered enough as it is?

You believe this is real life or a game?

Why does this makes you quit your membership? For me this makes me want mine to last longer! I think it's great that Jagex makes the game more secure and that more players comes into the game. Sure, a lot of these players will become noobs, but a lot of them will be nice players who will enjoy playing the game. Who know, perhaps one of these players will become a friend of yours in the future?

I find it just good that Jagex makes RS more secure and safer for all players, which also makes the game more enjoyable.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Why does this makes you quit your membership? For me this makes me want mine to last longer! I think it's great that Jagex makes the game more secure and that more players comes into the game. Sure, a lot of these players will become noobs, but a lot of them will be nice players who will enjoy playing the game. Who know, perhaps one of these players will become a friend of yours in the future?

I find it just good that Jagex makes RS more secure and safer for all players, which also makes the game more enjoyable.

I don't think kids under 13 should play online gaming....

You believe ruining tons of game fun for thousands of players should be done?

You believe Online gaming is good for kids under 13?

You believe adult players haven't suffered enough as it is?

You believe this is real life or a game?

How has it been ruined? Does the presence of children ruin the game for you?

I don't really believe that online gaming is good for children under 15 (yeah, fifteen), but that's ultimately all up to the parent.

I know that I haven't suffered worth anything with children in the game. Heck, they at least refresh my thinking on adult things.

[Even if I am just a young adult.]

I believe this is a game, and as such, should be enjoyed by as many people that choose to enjoy it -- regardless of age. Do you believe this is a game or real life? Because the way you're sounding about it, you might as well be in Congress, lobbying against video games.

s1L0U.jpg

No, but im on the game to relax. Having kids with questions day in and day out, isen't relaxing.

I dont mind kids being in the game, i just dislike how we are being forced to deal with them...

Most of them reports without any good reason, and it leads to ban of innocent players. (Jagex has done alot bans with good reasons).

The more kids: The more beggers/noobs/fake reporters and out of that big amount: Some nice kids.

Kids under 13 : shudnt be on computer.

They should do things that is educational and fun.

Runescape has no benefits to them in future...

There is Non-online games thats fun+ educational, why not play that?

Only reason Jagex wants kids: is to increase their players so that they look like "BIG GAME".

No, but im on the game to relax. Having kids with questions day in and day out, isen't relaxing.

I dont mind kids being in the game, i just dislike how we are being forced to deal with them...

Most of them reports without any good reason, and it leads to ban of innocent players. (Jagex has done alot bans with good reasons).

The more kids: The more beggers/noobs/fake reporters and out of that big amount: Some nice kids.

They should do things that is educational and fun.

Runescape has no benefits to them in future...

There is Non-online games thats fun+ educational, why not play that?

Only reason Jagex wants kids: is to increase their players so that they look like "BIG GAME".

It's kinda miraculous that you've missed my entire point by such a massive margin. -.-

Anyway, I don't see at all how we're forced to deal with kids in-game. Hell, you're not even permitted to ask their age. All you have are conjectures and theories as to their real age; and no, not everyone uses proper grammar all the time. I also don't see how they're the ones that send in false reports to get "innocent" players banned. For all you know that could be a 14 year old. Wouldn't that be a real kick in the teeth. Lastly, I can't see how they're also the ones begging. Panhandlers, which could be seen as a real-life comparison to beggars, are as old as sixty-five in my state. And as for the noob thing, we were all once noobs, it's nothing new, it's not even an argument.

As for the whole soapbox about how kids younger than 13 shouldn't be online, or the "no-benefits" thing, or the non-online fun+educational thing, doesn't that ring true for yourself? Granted, I make the assumption that you're at least older than 13, but RuneScape offers you no benefits, either. It doesn't offer ANYONE that plays it ANY benefits, unless they grow up and work for Jagex. Is this you being a hypocrite?

Lastly, companies don't exist unless they turn a profit. Jagex is no exception. Even a twelve year-old could understand that.

s1L0U.jpg

Alright, i give up. As for me not getting benefit, im 18 i've been through quite alot. Where kids are in beginning of their time, so if they waste it on a game: their loss. But i don't want to be affected by NEW KIDSUPDATES, where game is made "MORE FRIENDLY" so that they can understand how the game is...

But i really hate how this game is turning into a kids playground. I rather see more mature players in game than some kids who mess up the game.

If they release updates that affects adult players, they might aswell release a monster:

"Teletuby - level 1"

Where option instead of "attack" is "HUGE"

You know, you can just switch Public/Private Chat to Friends, or just avoid the QC worlds, which is where the kiddies will most likely be playing.

Hey, just keep immature and annoying people out of Tip.It and I'm happy.

I know there are many updates that players are displeased about, but unless we're planning to storm Jagex's offices there's no point in going on about how much it will suck.

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.

Of course they shouldn't be.

Yet we are forced to extreme censorship and unable to say even common, everyday words for the kiddies who can't handle real grown-up communication.

If they release updates that affects adult players, they might aswell release a monster:

"Teletuby - level 1"

Where option instead of "attack" is "HUGE"

You mean hug, right? :P

The fact that Jagex is now openly huggling the little kids and entirely ignoring older and higher-level players is fail at its best, but as long as it doesn't affect me (my parents won't enforce my RS-ing during the holidays and I'm mature enough to know where's the limit in "school time", thank you very much - I'm talking about changing prices etc. here) I won't care too much. I just hope one of my better friends (13) won't be affected, that's all.

2077089531_93b87b9d10.jpg

You're being watched.

Adam Tuckwell is the Safety Minister and Head of PR at Jagex. He was proud to talk to me about Runescape's effort to make the game a safe environment for under children under the age of 13. Previously, players had to to be 13+ to play the game. Runescape launched the under 13 game in June. This provides a Quick Chat interface, and children under 13 can only see Quick Chat text from other players of the under 13 game. This game is Coppa compliant, and have been awarded Best in Class by the IWF (Internet Watch Foundation). Since the launch of the under 13 game, Jagex has seen a 40% increase in Runescape registrations.

In the Quarter 2 or 3 of 2009, the Parental Controls dashboard will be launched. This provides parents with the means to set how often and how long their children can play Runescape, set various chat settings and have various controls over their children's Friends List such as the ability to add friends with or without parental approval.

Just as MUDs were the precursors to MMORPGs, Henrique described Runscape as a Junior MMORPG. A great training ground for other MMORPGs. For players interested in a slower paced game, a game where character development is based on skills and quests, I recommend checking Runescape out. It's free to play, after all.

Double-you Tea Eff

So this means we'll be expecting more and more "kiddier" content instead of awesome cool teenagers stuff?

00:00:05

00:00:04

00:00:03

00:00:02

00:00:01

00:00:00

Break the Walls down!