Item Leasing Is Corrupt

Dragon_lord

The item lending update has allowed players to lend their items to their friends once again, this made most players happy. Jagex, as well as a good number of players, knew there would definitely be an item leasing market upon the update but it was not expected to become so popular.

Lending your items to strangers is a nice gesture, if you won't be needing that item for some time. And I'm not against item leasing either, there's no harm in paying anywhere from 3k to 30k to get lent a specific item such as an Abyssal Whip or a Fury Amulet.

But this is where it gets ugly. People are beginning to lend out more valuable items, such as God Swords and Party Hats for larger sums of money, sometimes 200k and higher. Now how is this done, even though the Trade Limit's highest is at 30k every 15 minutes? That's because many players are junk trading. And the leasing players are more than eager to do it, even explaining to others how it can be done.

That's just sad. This wonderful update is being corrupted by greedy players. You'd think you'd expect better from someone who has more than 200 Quest Points, but it doesn't seem like it.

Junk trading is against the rules, it is a form of RWT and people who practice it for item leasing disgust me.

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.

Junk trading isn't against the rules, and if people want to lend their items out for higher then good on them. I don't think it is right that lower-levels or those that are poorer should get to use expensive items without paying a decent price.

if jagex was really worried about this they would make a Report for junk trading or sumthing, Also if people wana waste 200k on 14 hours of a weapon so be it, You can take the high road and invest the 200k to BUY a gs :thumbsup:

O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O

They did make a few changes but still, leading for money is more or less the old trust trade scam.

I don't lend things so it's not a problem for me. I never loaned things even before the trade limits.

But yes, there are still cheaters and scammers in the game cause those people exist in rl. :(

signatureii2.jpg

They did make a few changes but still, leading for money is more or less the old trust trade scam.

But yes, there are still cheaters and scammers in the game cause those people exist in rl. :(

Wrong! You can trade money in the same screen that you can lend items. Trust trade? No.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I find it stupid too - junk trading SHOULD be against the rules - junk trading is driving prices up unnessacrily by greedy players. It is basically a form of price manipulation and I'm sure alot of people would rather not have to deal with this.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

If jagex had a problem with players renting items they wouldnt have implemented the lend item in trade window.

And, as for junk trading - it can be used in ANY form. Work = junk, so, killing waterfiends yields a lot of mith arrows, basically junk.

You cant ban players for putting items that they got for free that dont sell into a trade, they did work to gain it some how, so, they should be entitled to do it any way they want. Price manipulation is players deliberately trying to make a item go up or down for their own good. These players are no more than the classic merchants - buy low, sell high. This isnt possible with the trade limits, so, they user junk.

blood_argon.gif

99 Crafting :: 39,750th || 99 Attack :: 1,775th

And, as for junk trading - it can be used in ANY form. Work = junk, so, killing waterfiends yields a lot of mith arrows, basically junk.

Junk is stuff that has a relatively high G.E value but can't be sold. Mith arrows can be sold, but things like Maple Longbow (u)s can't, and if you look at the price of logs and then longbows you can see why they are used often.

Aside from the warped correlation(s) to RWT and it being against the rules [which, in fact, it is not], I completely agree with this rant.

About a day and a half after I got members back, I was interested in trying out some Godswords, to see which one I'd like more in PvP or PvE. My friend loaned me a Saradomin GS for free for twelve hours, and so I had a great experience with that one. However, I wanted to try out the others. The rates were ludicrous, varying from 90 to 100K an hour.

I truly don't believe it allows RWT, but I do believe it's a corrupt business. It shouldn't have come to pass.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Aside from the warped correlation(s) to RWT and it being against the rules [which, in fact, it is not], I completely agree with this rant.

About a day and a half after I got members back, I was interested in trying out some Godswords, to see which one I'd like more in PvP or PvE. My friend loaned me a Saradomin GS for free for twelve hours, and so I had a great experience with that one. However, I wanted to try out the others. The rates were ludicrous, varying from 90 to 100K an hour.

I truly don't believe it allows RWT, but I do believe it's a corrupt business. It shouldn't have come to pass.

Would you have been able to use before the update? No. Do you think everyone will be so kind as to let you use something they spent time and effort to get for free? Um, no. There was always going to be a need for people to charge, and if they feel that they want 100k an hour for you to use their 75M godsword then it is up to them really.

Well item leasing is a form of capitalism, and capitalism is corrupt, so yes, item leasing is corrupt!

Junk trading is against the rules, it is a form of RWT and people who practice it for item leasing disgust me.

OK how is it a form of RWT!? Sure, it allows for unbalanced trade, but suggesting that all unbalanced trades invoke RWT is tantamount to confusing cause and effect. Would Bounty Hunter, which can be seen as another method of swapping disproportionate amounts of wealth, be considered RWT too? Yeah, maybe some people abuse it to RWT, but it's totally wrong to declare that the two are always linked. In that regard it's no different with junk trading - whether it's unethical is debatable, maybe, but it is NOT RWT.

If it was against the rules jagex would not have made junk trading legal. They changed it just so people could junk trade. So you please tell me its against the rules again. =D>
They changed it so people wouldn't get scammed in trust trades, genius...

And the reason I say it is/should be against the rules is because players are trying to find ways around the trade limit, if transferring items via BH isn't allowed than this shouldn't be either.

This was meant to be more about item leasing making people greedy anyway...

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.

Although the idea's good, the prices for people to pay for things is way too high, it even shows that because they give junk out for it; which is proving more and more they're overpricing everything.

Though they did the lend thing so people wouldnt get scammed out of 200k for lending an item.. Though, imo, those people should be scammed.. They *are* the scammers anyway.

It's ridiculous, it really is.. And jagex really should (really really should) make a 5% up/down rate on a base cost for items to be lent.

I dont need a siggy no moar.

They pretty much are made to pay the money. Do you see anyone offer half the price?! No! Everyone's too greedy and the people who give them out for free dont give out for long at all. :thumbdown:

I dont need a siggy no moar.

They pretty much are made to pay the money. Do you see anyone offer half the price?! No! Everyone's too greedy and the people who give them out for free dont give out for long at all. :thumbdown:

Save up and buy your own Gs or w/e then, or stop complaining you can't use one for free. :thumbup:

I am against the whole business off junk trading to lend items, Even though people pay to lend stuff out in the real world... Still it is only a game... I am not desperate to try out the Godswords since I'm not desperate, But I tend to lend stuff out for free,

Luck be a Lady

As long as any kind of wealth transfer exists, real world trading will exist as well. It's incorrect to say RWT'ers are gone by trade updates; There are still dozens of RWT businesses selling and trading for real cash. This is in RS, and it's in every other game as well.

And if someone wants to pay 100,000 to use a sword for 1 hour, that's their choice. Maybe they don't have the time to earn 80 million for the actual item and just want to try it out.

Car leases work on a similar principle. You must think, "why would someone pay $800 to use a Mercedes for a weekend?"

Maybe they can't afford the actual car, but need something valuable to represent themselves if they're going for a business meeting/having to drive around wealthy clients etc.

Well item leasing is a form of capitalism, and capitalism is corrupt, so yes, item leasing is corrupt!

OK how is it a form of RWT!? Sure, it allows for unbalanced trade, but suggesting that all unbalanced trades invoke RWT is tantamount to confusing cause and effect. Would Bounty Hunter, which can be seen as another method of swapping disproportionate amounts of wealth, be considered RWT too? Yeah, maybe some people abuse it to RWT, but it's totally wrong to declare that the two are always linked. In that regard it's no different with junk trading - whether it's unethical is debatable, maybe, but it is NOT RWT.

Good point, it's not RWT in essence, but it allows RWT to happen (like trading before the updates). Junking is unethical because it really is a form of price manipulation (which is why Jagex has not adjusted GE prices to that of the street price). And if Jagex did adjust the prices, the junking wouldn't stop; people would try to drive the prices up again and something that was previously 1.4 m (zammy book pages) would be 3 m. However, there is a difference between junking and item exchanging. Cooked lobsters and cash for raw lobsters is not the same thing as junking. Trading unstrung bows, bs, and cash for strung bows is not junking. Trading 15k magic longs and 500k cash for a top hat is junk trading.

Maybe they can't afford the actual car, but need something valuable to represent themselves if they're going for a business meeting/having to drive around wealthy clients etc.

Exactly. It completely disgusts me when my lvl 70 friend said his max with a gs was 36...it's an insult to the godswords. Some people who can't hit high really shouldn't be borrowing the item. It just insults the godsword's strength. I can hit a freaking 41 with my whip, and he can only hit a 36?!?!? -.- -.-

Solution: make item requirements go up. Godsword is already slightly overpowered since it can be wielded at lvl 75 attack...should be lvl 95 atack...

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

Would you have been able to use before the update? No. Do you think everyone will be so kind as to let you use something they spent time and effort to get for free? Um, no. There was always going to be a need for people to charge, and if they feel that they want 100k an hour for you to use their 75M godsword then it is up to them really.

I agree. If a you have a friend who lets you use their stuff for free more power too you. But if people want to charge you for using their property I have absolutely no problem. They're just being good businessmen. =/

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one