Today...

Leoo

Having a chat on monday to a place in regards to new 1-bedroom apartments in the CBD for 295 a week. If it's as good as it sounds, I'm jumping for it. I'll have no need to buy a car since I can walk to work.

Popoto.~<3

I had a friend almost graduate Drexel as an Information Systems major but was offered a 60k/yr job before he finished his last semester. Amd I have a friend who's the lead IT guy for an independent company outside of Philly who makes like 30k/yr part time which im mostly jealous of because most of his work is reinstalling Adobe reader and resetting email passwords.

Do you know about google ultron?

aah.png

aah.png
aah.png

aah.png

People in glass houses should shower in the basement.

Oh yeah that haha. R/talesfromIT is full of stuff like that

And yeah Harris Wittels death is sad. At least he finished parks and rec before he OD'd

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

3 jobs? holy shit man.

You ever had an interest in computer science? If so if you learn to program most places will hire you with a batchellors degree regardless of subject. I know plenty of music majors who now write code all day :lol:. But an entry level programmer can make $60k+ yearly.

I'm kinda regretting going for a CS degree right now since if I would've got a math major I'd be graduating in a month while now I got at least a 2 years more to go

Learning how to program on your own and then expecting to get a good job is unrealistic. You can't expect someone to pay you $60k/year because you know Python. You'd probably need half a decade of experience as a full-time freelancer to get a job, and, at that point, it would've been better to get a degree.

That said, everyone should learn how to program. It's ridiculously easy to get started. You just need a text editor and an interpreter and a good tutorial.

Learning how to program is much different than learning how to properly program.

I'll start off by saying most programming tutorials are total crap. I am assuming most schools are only somewhat better. For the most part, they glance over important details by using high level languages and promote inefficient usage of language features or syntax. For the most part, they are a basic introduction to a language or topic. Good, alright, cool. Now I can program Python! But can I program software?

No, not without having a passion for the field. You need to want to get better! "I wrote this in Python" is not good enough. You should not say, but instead ask, "How can I improve upon my understanding and thus improve my program?"

edit: I accidentally deleted a paragraph or two here, hence why the above and below don't make much sense together. The general idea was that people only do what they're taught and rarely try and move outside of this comfort zone, resulting in a difficulty in coming up with better-fit solutions.

I see the problem all the time in programming forums. People have a herd mentality. They think the C++ Standard Library is great and that it cannot be surpassed. Exceptions are irreplaceable. Object-orientated programming is crucial to good design.

In my case, I enjoy the low level details. You may call it premature optimization. I call it ensuring my program will be able to process 2,000+ unique agents some 60 times a second in a simulation without coming to a crawl, and thus requiring a complete redesign and refactoring of a giant code base.

I did not come to enjoy these low level details from tutorials on Python or Java or whatever. They are good once you know how hardware interacts with software, and vice versa. It's also good for quick-and-dirty tools, or scripting, or anything that you know will never require performance (but keep in mind, the reason *you* don't have to care about performance is because the developer of the language runtime cared, but most importantly, because hardware has advanced far enough so you can be lazy; you think your Python program will be usable on low-performance embedded hardware?--think again!).

I refer back to the C++ zealots. They have the luxury of not needing to write performant code, otherwise their opinion would change drastically. std::vector has a horrible allocation pattern--std::list fragments memory (and also has a pretty bad requirement of allocating a node on insertion and removal, which eventually boils down to a new/delete--slow!)--std::string is just crap all around ('small string optimization?' more like 'our current design is unfeasible, but it's too late to go back! let's just crap out something that works in a few cases!'). Exceptions are used willy-nilly by OOP addicts (i.e, Java). Do you know how expensive exceptions are when thrown? The simple requirement of exceptions being enabled disallows the compiler from making the best decision possible, as well, resulting in less optimizations (the kind of optimizations that are done the scenes).

And then OOP. I cannot stand Java's or C#'s reliance on OOP over composition or simply understanding your data. A virtual table lookup is bad on the cache. One may work out, but with most OOP code, you have hundreds of them for simple tasks! Multiply this by the thousands of tasks that need to be performed to finish a computationally expensive algorithm. This goes hand in hand with standard containers in C++.

This is the stuff I think about when I program every day. I need to write code that won't die because of memory fragmentation, or hiccup because of the language imposed garbage collector, or simply just not cooperate with the CPU's cache.

Currently I'm working on porting all my previous efforts in C# to C++. This includes a resolution-independent curve renderer in real-time. I am simply tired of the high-level nature of C#. It's good when I don't care about performance. But a game is all about performance. I want to push hardware, not be limited by it.

I will admit, I do not have a job in software development. I probably never will unless I somehow (by the grace of some deity) obtain a degree! That's unlikely, considering my economical and mental situation (I suffer from a pretty disabling mental condition--this impacts my getting of a basic job, let alone something more prestigious, and similarly, would make it difficult for me to pursue higher education). But it doesn't stop me from, when possible, improving my programming ability.

I don't know why I just wrote this, but here it is. Take it for what it's worth.

• Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

Yeah, there's a reason why the degree is in Computer Science, not computer programming. No programming tutorial in the world will tell you about the little things like that. It's really special that you were able to learn things like that without going to school. It's not easy to learn that on your own. I know a lot of self-taught programmers who still don't even understand how their language even goes from text to 1s and 0s, let alone how their operating system tracks memory, how it caches data, or how their processor interprets the instructions.

Hopefully you're able to get a good job some day, I've seen the stuff you've worked on and it's all great and it really seems like you know what the hell you're doing.

• Like 1

Holy [bleep]ing god, I don't think I've ever had so fun short trip before.

Most of the last 24 hours I have been laughing.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I believe people suddenly start to write in different fonts because of deep-rooted emotional insecurities hey wait a minute!

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Yeah, it uses your default cursive font if you don't have comic sans. Interesting tidbit: Microsoft considers Comic Sans a cursive font because it emulates handwriting and they made it the default cursive font in windows because they hate everyone.

• Like 1

I bought a papaya last Tuesday. Turns out I don't like papaya so I didn't eat it. So I made it into jam and it's pretty good. I have a talent for this shit I'm gonna make so much jam now

What's the difference between jelly and jam?

• Like 1

aah.png

aah.png
aah.png

aah.png

People in glass houses should shower in the basement.