Today...

Leoo

Mayweather is the "better" "boxer". I put both of those in quotes for a couple of reasons. First of all, this fight should have happened five years ago, but Floyd has been ducking Manny forever until he knew he could win. Pac is a much more aggressive, quickness / explosiveness based fighter who will naturally drop off with age, whereas Mayweather is extremely defensive and passive and remained in his prime for a much longer time period because of it. So before the fight even started, Mayweather is a [bleep] for putting on this whole charade of finally taking on Pac to prove he's the better boxer when in reality he intentionally waited years until Pac was a shell of his former self who had a minimal chance of winning. Then, during the fight, he danced away from any toe-to-toe fighting and clinched every 30 seconds to get decisions. And sure, that wins fights, but it's a) not a spectacle for the fans in what is ultimately a pure entertainment sport, b) ruining the sport of boxing the same way diving / embellishment is damaging the sports of soccer and basketball, and c) is in general a weak as [bleep] way to go about things. Every single time a boxing match breaks out in Floyd's high-stakes game of tag, he clinches and then throws cheap body shots when the other fighter can't do anything.

In short, Mayweather ducked the only guy who could beat him for years and years until he was well past his prime, then "fought" in about the lowest possible sense of the word only when he was sure he would win in order to protect his undefeated status. The all-time greats never did that and that's why no matter how rich Floyd gets he will never be one of them.

I've never followed boxing till earlier this week, so I did a bit of reading because the Mayweather's fighting style and personality is oddly fascinating to me.

From what I've read about him, here's the facts:

- he didn't have a very good childhood but he was a naturally gifted boxer and he nurtured those talents his whole life

- he allegedly beats up women

- his public persona is very cocky and entitled

- in the ring, he is calm, calculating, and consequently has a perfect boxing record

The fact that he's so calm and calculating in the ring makes me wonder how calm and calculating he is outside of the ring. It really wouldn't surprise me if he's pretending or exaggerating to be a worse person than he actually is simply because it sells and makes him more money.

So with all that said, it's interesting to put myself in his shoes because it creates all kinds of interesting predicaments. What's his motivation? If his primary goal is money, then he did everything perfectly, from both his behavior outside the ring to his skills within the ring. At this point I'm inclined to believe that money's his primary motivation and he doesn't care as much about being "the best." After all, he literally has a perfect record and people still refuse to acknowledge him as the best. Isn't that funny? If we put ourselves in his shoes, then it really doesn't matter if he wins or loses since regardless people will hate him. What did he have to gain from fighting Pacquaio last night? He really didn't have anything to gain but plenty to lose. After all, he won the fight because he outplayed and outsmarted his opponent, but people still hate him and refuse to acknowledge him as the best. The only way he could've truly been considered the best would've been if he had challenged Pacquaio 5 years sooner. But that ship has sailed, which suggests that no matter what he does, Mayweather can never be the best in the eyes of his peers. Can you imagine how that must feel?

A guy on reddit said:

Sure, what he did is smart to win on score cards and keep that undefeated record, and logically the objective is to win; but I can't respect that strategy or put him up there with the greats. Anyone who thinks that was a good fight or Mayweather was great is fooling themselves.

Is this how most fans feel? Because if that's the case, what exactly is Mayweather supposed to do? Abandon his extremely successful method of boxing in favor of a more risky and dangerous fighting style, just to appease the fans? If he's using a suboptimal technique, then how could he be considered the best?

I really can't see how someone can blame Mayweather for his fighting style. If anyone's to blame, it's whoever's in charge of the boxing rules that allows such a controversial fighting style to be optimal.

It just seems like everyone went into the fight thinking, "If Pacquaio wins, he's the greatest boxer. But if Mayweather wins, he's still not the greatest boxer and never will be"

77yLQy8.png

Lol i was just hanging out in capitol hill earlier and apparently there were a bunch of mayday protests planned that i didnt know about so i show up there and theres [bleep]in dozens of cops in riot gear and helicopters flyin around then they started throwing flashbangs and pepper spraying people. it was lit af fam. i made it out alive tho dont worry

I was there too, maybe we unknowingly saw each other

2s0cxth.png

This is the mass-produced stuff though - proper cheese costs $20/lb at a cheap supermarket and there is no way I'm paying that. And it also gets absolutely disgusting if you don't seal it off.

It'll be good for a few days. The outside will just get dry

Today the emergency response team is available but I still can't work because the internet is down, therefore we can't access the pre start meeting notes that are emailed and we can't work without a pre start.

There's always a catch, I work fly in fly out 14 days on 7 off.

Whether I'm being productive, dealing with bureaucracy or sitting on my ass I get paid so I'm not too fussed. I'm going to do 12 hour days whether they keep me busy or not, I'm not living away from home to work 8 hour days.

That line of thinking leaves out the part where he refused to fight the next-best fighter in the world for half a decade because he was afraid he would lose his undefeated status. That's the reason he'll never go down as one of the greatest ever - he didn't prove it against the other big name of his generation (and no, beating an injured, past his prime, Congressman Manny Pacquiao does not and will never count as doing that).

Yeah that makes sense. That's why I don't really think he was interested in being "the best"; he just wanted to make as much money as he could. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

There's nothing wrong with his fighting style from a boxing point of view. However, people can and do argue that he had a responsibility to the sport to deliver an entertaining product since this is the most publicity the sport has gotten in years and years. Instead, he didn't take a single risk even though his opponent was a completely beatable shell of his former self and carried out a pointless charade of a fight where neither man seemed to break a sweat. Floyd may have gotten richer but it's not an exaggeration to say he might have killed the sport - the legions of people who spent $100 on this dud of a fight will surely never do so again.

But was anybody really surprised here? Were people honestly expecting Mayweather to change his fighting style all of a sudden when he doesn't really have any incentive to do so? For those who paid to watch the fight, I imagine some of them were casual viewers and will not pay to watch boxing again... until the next super-hyped up fight. Meanwhile the loyal fans will continue to watch (albeit reluctantly) and not much will change. From what I'm understanding Mayweather's a bit of an outlier when it comes to his technique too. Aren't most other boxers more entertaining to watch? Why can't they pick up the slack?

This was his chance to revitalize the sport and make it popular among the group of people who were born too late to watch Tyson, but instead he ran around the ring for 12 rounds to get a decision against the walking corpse of Manny Pacquiao. Was it the correct method to win a decision? Sure. Was it completely gutless? Arguably. Was it absolutely the worst possible thing he could have done for the sport of boxing? Without a doubt.

What would you have done differently if you were in Mayweather's shoes?

77yLQy8.png

Yeah that makes sense. That's why I don't really think he was interested in being "the best"; he just wanted to make as much money as he could. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

There isn't, but it's not exactly fun to watch. It's a bit understandable to be disappointed if you pay a not-entirely-insignificant sum of money to see a sporting event and it ends up being a farce.

There isn't, but it's not exactly fun to watch. It's a bit understandable to be disappointed if you pay a not-entirely-insignificant sum of money to see a sporting event and it ends up being a farce.

Yeah it's completely understandable. I just think it's kind of weird to see how people are surprised that Mayweather would fight with his signature fighting style lol

77yLQy8.png

I meant if you were in his shoes, what would you have done last night?

Taken them off because you can't wear shoes in the boxing arena.

[hide]eHOyBpc.png

(I think they wear shoes in the boxing arena.)

[/hide]

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

I agree that hockey is stupid and so are the people who watch it such as obfuscator

Hockey isn't stupid, it's fun to watch.

Then again to each his own, I don't watch Baseball because I find it very boring.