Today...

Leoo

I keep having the same dream about college. In the dream I've skipped going to a class for like a month and I decide to finally go and I get a bunch of anxiety about it. Like, I forget when and where the class is and I worry about having missed an exam.

Any of you other recent grads experiencing stuff like that?

I still get dreams where it's the last semester of High School and I remember that I haven't been going to this throwaway class I need to graduate so I remember to finally go and the teacher refuses to pass me.

[bleep]ing epic field trip.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I should get it checked out, but i'm too afraid to leave the house.

I know there are extenuating circumstances, but it doesn't sound like you feel too safe :P

Fear of getting arrested, not fear of getting shot and/or mugged by some shithead. 

For the past few weeks i've been having trouble with my eye. At first i thought it was a stye, but it kept coming and going. Woke up this morning and my upper eyelid was swollen so bad it looked like i was in a really bad fight, a fight that i severely lost. Hurts pretty bad. I should get it checked out, but i'm too afraid to leave the house.

You should really go to a hospital, eye problems aren't something you should [bleep] around with.

Knowing the doctors here, they'll give me panadol and tell me i have [insert name of made-up illness/disease here].  

Well Noxx, would you rather fear common crime or corrupt police state enforcement? These are your choices in this world

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Well Noxx, would you rather fear common crime or corrupt police state enforcement? These are your choices in this world

Well this isn't a case of corruption, it's a matter of them being extremely lazy. And truth be told, police all over the world are corrupt. I don't think you'll get a police force anywhere in the world that isn't. 

Well this isn't a case of corruption, it's a matter of them being extremely lazy. And truth be told, police all over the world are corrupt. I don't think you'll get a police force anywhere in the world that isn't.
I believe aside from a few internal issues the RCMP have a relatively good record in regards to corruption and the like.

I should get it checked out, but i'm too afraid to leave the house.

I know there are extenuating circumstances, but it doesn't sound like you feel too safe :P

Fear of getting arrested, not fear of getting shot and/or mugged by some shithead.

There's a difference?

Well, if you're a black american, then no. You'll either get arrested for no reason, or shot/harassed (by the cops) for no reason. Pretty much anywhere else in the world, there's a pretty big difference. 

Right, all black Americans get shot or arrested for no reason

Well, media sure does make it seem that way.
Now you sound like the North Korean news page I read a couple of months ago saying that LA officers use pictures of black Americans for targets.
  • Like 2

"Black American"

YF07g67.jpg

• Like 1

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Neither did I. I felt like it was implied that if the criminal got shot it was because they were black, while if they were white then they got simply arrested, not that all black people got shot or arrested.

• Like 1

Interesting, I've never felt it was implied that all black Americans are shot or arrested

Well that's pretty obvious. You're American yourself, so it's extremely hard for you to understand and/or admit that things like that happen day to day. Americans really hate when anything negative is said about their country. Why do you think, till this day, so many people think America won in Vietnam, and that the war there was at all justified? 

Lol, nobody thinks that we won Vietnam or that it was justified unless they are extremely misinformed. 

And as many black people that get shot by the police, I'm sure that white people get shot too. The only difference is that nobody cares when a white guys gets shot.

Or maybe I'm naive and more black people get shot than white people because they are being stupid and reckless because of the environment which they were raised in. There is a reason that the number of incarcerated blacks is ~38% while white inmates account for 60% when the US has total a black population of ~13% and a total white population of 78%.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Interesting, I've never felt it was implied that all black Americans are shot or arrested

Well that's pretty obvious. You're American yourself, so it's extremely hard for you to understand and/or admit that things like that happen day to day. Americans really hate when anything negative is said about their country. Why do you think, till this day, so many people think America won in Vietnam, and that the war there was at all justified?
Vietnam point true. I think the black American point isn't so much. There are literally millions living in America and I'm sure that a large portion could count positive experiences with police, or at least not getting shot.

Typically we hate when people say negative things about our country because most of the time they're flat out making things up, like so.

Racism is a complicated topic and oversimplifying it like the last 10 or so posts have done is a disservice to everyone involved. :v

The RCMP still seem to be doing pretty good on the corruption front, though the Terrace branch might single handedly dispute that claim (massive police brutality). Locally, I don't think there have been any issues with the Halifax Regional Police either. Of course, I'm also white, so I have a natural +10 to my bad police encounters saving throw for most of the police forces in the US and Canada. Not being homeless or living in the wrong part of town are also pluses that make it more likely that I will enjoy encounters with the police.

As I understand it, there is pretty solid evidence that both black and white people subconsciously perceive black people to pose more of a threat, and in a potential do or die situation, that can be the difference between pulling the trigger and not. The theory would be that if you have dark skin, the threshold for other people to believe you pose a danger to them/their life is going to be lower.

It is also worth considering that gun culture in places like Canada or the UK is radically different than in the US, and that impacts on our rate of police killings overall. Canada is also whiter, having both a higher proportion of white citizens, and proportionally fewer black citizens.

• Like 1

Typically we hate when people say negative things about our country because most of the time they're flat out making things up, like so.

Racism is a complicated topic and oversimplifying it like the last 10 or so posts have done is a disservice to everyone involved. :v

Racism is absolutely not a complicated topic. It ids literally the most black and white topic there is. There's no way to under- or oversimplify it. Yet another excuse commonly used to [kitty]foot around the actual issues. Also, are you saying that the bold text is completely made up? If so, i'd like to hear your explanation. 

Lol, nobody thinks that we won Vietnam or that it was justified unless they are extremely misinformed. 

And as many black people that get shot by the police, I'm sure that white people get shot too. The only difference is that nobody cares when a white guys gets shot.

Or maybe I'm naive and more black people get shot than white people because they are being stupid and reckless because of the environment which they were raised in. There is a reason that the number of incarcerated blacks is ~38% while white inmates account for 60% when the US has total a black population of ~13% and a total white population of 78%.

Among other factors, one reason for such statistics relating to incarceration is that African-Americans are treated much more harshly when it comes to drug-related infractions.

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Racism is absolutely not a complicated topic. It ids literally the most black and white topic there is. There's no way to under- or oversimplify it. Yet another excuse commonly used to [kitty]foot around the actual issues. Also, are you saying that the bold text is completely made up? If so, i'd like to hear your explanation. 

Well you could go into history and how that feeds into current social conditions and representation, unconscious responses (like Randox just mentioned), probably economics... I am just academic enough to overcomplicate things like that.

Yes, saying it's completely made up. The explanation is a simple one: most of the country does not think America won in Vietnam, and especially nowadays we feel that we should never have gotten involved over there in the first place.