Today...

Leoo

There are definitely people who don't have the option of just leaving a country when they don't like something. Leaving a country requires a lot of money, both in terms of savings and active income. There's also an education barrier, because immigration offices require tests to prove you know about the country you're immigrating to, and for non neurotypical individuals sometimes that's not possible. Plus potential language barriers, or prejudices, or a lack of personal networks, all can be damning barriers to the idea of leaving a country whose policies you disagree with.

And a lot of these things apply to your other "solutions." Disagree with the tax code? Finding ways to legally avoid paying taxes is not as easy as a Google search, it can require the deep understanding of the law that comes with a law degree, or the equivalent amount of time researching and studying laws. Sure, you can pay someone to do it for you... Unless you already can't pay taxes because your income is too low.

Having a stake in politics matters a lot less if you're in a majority power position, because yeah, for a straight white middle class male, the person elected probably won't make a difference. But if you're in Ferguson, then the stakes matter a lot more, ESPECIALLY at the local level, right down to the local sheriff and the mayor. Because those are the people making decisions to hire racists, who make prejudiced policies, and then band together to defend the racism. And, locally especially, one person campaigning can have a real impact.

• Like 3

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Tyler, you hit the nail right on the head. In South Africa at the moment, i know of a lot of people who want to leave. They're white, male or female doesn't matter, but they're unable to find a job. Because of BEE/AA it's near impossible for any white individual to find a job. Heck, even job advertisements now specify that they're only looking for black/brown/colored. As a result, so many young white people, fresh out of Uni, don;t have jobs and probably won't find one any time soon. And the jobs they do find are extremely low payed. But as you said, packing up and moving to a different country isn't as easy as it sounds. Maybe people (perhaps people like Muggi) choose to be ignorant of these things because they choose to live selfishly. Only caring for themselves and their own well being. Not caring if his neighbor suffers or starves. Personally i can't live like that. Even though i don't live in South Africa anymore i still take the time to vote and keep up to date with the politics. I'll do whatever i can, from here, to help out the people who aren't in such a fortunate position as i was/am. And as a rational, civil being, i feel that is the duty of every citizen of their respective countries.

And a lot of these things apply to your other "solutions." Disagree with the tax code? Finding ways to legally avoid paying taxes is not as easy as a Google search, it can require the deep understanding of the law that comes with a law degree, or the equivalent amount of time researching and studying laws. Sure, you can pay someone to do it for you... Unless you already can't pay taxes because your income is too low.

Which is sort of where willful ignorance becomes a trap: you won't know that your 'solution' isn't viable and you have every incentive not to find out why that is, or how it could be improved.

• Like 1

In fairly certain it's possible to have a tic or a habit without having Tourettes. And would it even be worth diagnosing it for such a minor behavior pattern?

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

There are definitely people who don't have the option of just leaving a country when they don't like something. Leaving a country requires a lot of money, both in terms of savings and active income. There's also an education barrier, because immigration offices require tests to prove you know about the country you're immigrating to, and for non neurotypical individuals sometimes that's not possible. Plus potential language barriers, or prejudices, or a lack of personal networks, all can be damning barriers to the idea of leaving a country whose policies you disagree with.

Having a stake in politics matters a lot less if you're in a majority power position, because yeah, for a straight white middle class male, the person elected probably won't make a difference. But if you're in Ferguson, then the stakes matter a lot more, ESPECIALLY at the local level, right down to the local sheriff and the mayor. Because those are the people making decisions to hire racists, who make prejudiced policies, and then band together to defend the racism. And, locally especially, one person campaigning can have a real impact.

It's definitely easier to move out of a small town than it is to start a campaign, win the election, implement changes, and have everyone adapt to the new system the way you envisioned it with minimal backlash. You're proving my point.

Regarding learning about taxes and such, there's plenty of free books to read at the library.

77yLQy8.png

Which is sort of where willful ignorance becomes a trap: you won't know that your 'solution' isn't viable and you have every incentive not to find out why that is, or how it could be improved.

It's only a trap if it consistently makes you unhappy.

77yLQy8.png

My dad bought me a used mechanical movement from a grandfather clock. So now I've got to figure out how to make it work and make a clock with it. I guess I'm going to make a wooden case for it and everything too.

@Ammako

Do you have a region free or Japanese DS? I wouldn't think that you could play the Japanese cart on an American console.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

My dad bought me a used mechanical movement from a grandfather clock. So now I've got to figure out how to make it work and make a clock with it. I guess I'm going to make a wooden case for it and everything too.

@Ammako

Do you have a region freeor Japanese DS? I wouldn't think that you could play the Japanese cart on an American console.

The Nintendo DS was region free until the DSi (and then only DSi titles were region-locked and even then only on the DSi [or later, 3DS]).

I have Pokemon: Schwarze Edition 2. Used it to RNG perfect Dittos of all the viable natures (essentially all but the neutral ones [i.e., Quirky] and the "lower defense, higher special defense" and vice versa), Trick Room Dittos, and viable Hidden Power Dittos with both Timid and Modest natures (Ice, Electric, Grass, Fire, Rock, Ground, and Fighting). For reference, this is 32 different Dittos...

Why? Well: the Hidden Grotto in the crater with Kyurem could spawn a Ditto. Simply RNG the Grotto to spawn a Ditto, and then RNG the Ditto. I could have done this on my English copy, but then I would have English Dittos, which are less useful for breeding than a foreign Ditto. Since I can't read Japanese (well, I only speak/read English), I chose a European edition so I could quickly translate anything, if necessary (during the "story" and to verify natures/characteristics when RNGing the Dittos).

ozXHe7P.png

It's only a trap if it consistently makes you unhappy.

But you also wonder why people tend to reject your advice, right? I can't say I've seen many situations as black-and-white as you tend to make them out to be. Oversimplifying the issues or trying to turn the conversation in an entirely unrelated direction isn't the best way to get a point across: the trap is that you can't really help solve a problem that you don't want to understand. At that point it's less about 'helping' them and more about affirming your own world view.

It's like, I got into a discussion about conservation with one of my cousins over the summer: the conversation was more frustrating than enjoyable because his 'easy' solutions weren't just wrong, they were irrelevant.

Do you have a region freeor Japanese DS? I wouldn't think that you could play the Japanese cart on an American console.

Games prior to BW2 aren't region locked (and as above, neither were consoles before the DSi). Even if they were, the current homebrew/region-free exploit is extremely easy :mrgreen:

• Like 2

No I really don't care if people follow if my advice or not. People do whatever they believe will make them happier or less unhappy. I'm consistently very happy doing what I recommend to others. If others are as consistently happy as I am, great. If they aren't then they should probably reevaluate their life and do something differently. None of my friends have ever regretted following my advice (on the rare occasion that they do haha). Many of them remain unhappy after rejecting my advice. Wonder why.

Honestly it just boils down to the fact that a person with an internal locus of control cannot give advice to a person with an external locus of control, and vice versa. It's like atheists and theists arguing. Their core beliefs are in direct opposition.

77yLQy8.png

@Ammako

The Nintendo DS was region free until the DSi (and then only DSi titles were region-locked and even then only on the DSi [or later, 3DS]).

I have Pokemon: Schwarze Edition 2. Used it to RNG perfect Dittos of all the viable natures (essentially all but the neutral ones [i.e., Quirky] and the "lower defense, higher special defense" and vice versa), Trick Room Dittos, and viable Hidden Power Dittos with both Timid and Modest natures (Ice, Electric, Grass, Fire, Rock, Ground, and Fighting). For reference, this is 32 different Dittos...

Why? Well: the Hidden Grotto in the crater with Kyurem could spawn a Ditto. Simply RNG the Grotto to spawn a Ditto, and then RNG the Ditto. I could have done this on my English copy, but then I would have English Dittos, which are less useful for breeding than a foreign Ditto. Since I can't read Japanese (well, I only speak/read English), I chose a European edition so I could quickly translate anything, if necessary (during the "story" and to verify natures/characteristics when RNGing the Dittos).

That being said, Gen. V are considered DSi games, as they are DSi-enhanced. So I wouldn't be able to play 'em. On my DS, maybe, but I wouldn't be able to play 'em on my 3DS which puts me off from buying them.

I don't really want to bother with getting Japanese versions of Gen V-VI for that reason.

Show-off time~

QgO0YH2.jpg

The sticker on my FireRed screwed up... I hate that... It's developed some kind of air bubbles under the layer of transparent stuff and it's never been the same since.

• Like 2

Does nature effect what the ditto is used to clone, is that why it mattered so much?

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Does nature effect what the ditto is used to clone, is that why it mattered so much?

The Pokemon holding an Everstone during breeding has a 100% chance of passing on the nature to the child Pokemon (in Generation 6 [XY and ORAS], it's 50% in prior generations with this mechanic). You technically only need one perfect Ditto if you're breeding flawless Pokemon (in XY or ORAS), but having all the competitive natures is beneficial because you don't have to catch a parent with the correct nature or breed until one of the children has it.

That's also the reason I have two of each Hidden Power Ditto, since Pokemon who do use Hidden Power tend to depend on speed or special attack, so it makes the most sense for the Ditto to be Timid or Modest. Of course, there's the oddballs that also use physical moves, in which cause a different nature is more useful (generally, one that lowers one of the defenses to boost attack, special attack, or speed), but that's really uncommon and I can just use another Ditto to get the right nature, and then use that child to pass it on.

Also, using a foreign Pokemon while breeding increases the chances of a shiny since Generation 4. It's dubbed the Masuda method. That's why I decided to get foreign Dittos to improve the odds :P. Though I personally don't hunt shiny Pokemon too often, even when I RNG. In any case, getting a shiny by chance would be pretty cool.

@Ammako

That being said, Gen. V are considered DSi games, as they are DSi-enhanced. So I wouldn't be able to play 'em. On my DS, maybe, but I wouldn't be able to play 'em on my 3DS which puts me off from buying them.

I don't really want to bother with getting Japanese versions of Gen V-VI for that reason.

Show-off time~

snip

The sticker on my FireRed screwed up... I hate that... It's developed some kind of air bubbles under the layer of transparent stuff and it's never been the same since.

You can play Generation 5 games, no question, on the Nintendo DS Lite and the original Nintendo DS. However, I checked, and it appears the region-free loader for the 3DS doesn't work on DSi games (you need to downgrade the DSi firmware on the 3DS, which isn't easy [or possible on recent system updates]).

ozXHe7P.png

Today i kissed some british girl at a club in reno

British tourists are easy slaying, but more importantly fun people. With that said I fully promote pursuing any english speaking foreign gal you come across. 

I've mostly heard of voting fraud in the smaller elections from like the local level up to as high as governor elections. It's a rare occurrence, but I dunno, I've only voted in a couple of elections now where I've been limited to voting only for my party and that has been mostly during the Presidential and state officials when I was still registered in WA. California is old school and uses an ancient method of voting since their too cheap to adopt to newer systems.

tFtfA.jpg

No I really don't care if people follow if my advice or not.

Then why do you feel the need to jump into every discussion that even marginally involves political/social issues with either "I don't care about that and my life's great" or "Have you every considered... NOT caring about the thing?"

Like, it's not helpful, it's just obnoxious. And if you really don't care if other people followed your example, you wouldn't feel the need to offer unsolicited advice/commentary.

• Like 1

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

No I really don't care if people follow if my advice or not.

Then why do you feel the need to jump into every discussion that even marginally involves political/social issues with either "I don't care about that and my life's great" or "Have you every considered... NOT caring about the thing?"

Like, it's not helpful, it's just obnoxious. And if you really don't care if other people followed your example, you wouldn't feel the need to offer unsolicited advice/commentary.

I enjoy writing and just because you don't find my posts to be helpful, doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way. I get a lot of PM's from random people on here asking me for my thoughts on stuff.

77yLQy8.png

Speaking of happiness, today I'm going to meet with the store manager (well, in four hours; it's almost 4:00 am). I was unable to attend work Friday due to a fragile state I was in for several hours prior to work (though I had the foresight to force myself to call the store and let the manager on duty know a few hours in advance). Apparently, policy considers any absence the same, regardless of the validity.

I mean, I can understand they need me to come in when scheduled. But I can't know how stable or able-minded I'll be in the future (be it a few hours or a day), and this is the second time it's clashed with my going to work. If I did not have some psychotic disorder and depression and whatever else, I would have no problem getting to work. Heck, even at work I'm able to relax (in some manner of the word) a little, knowing that if something goes too wrong, there we be at least acquaintances who can call emergency services. But on the 20-30 minute walk to work, the same cannot be said, at all. I could easily become disorientated, confused, and never arrive to work and end up who knows where surrounded by total strangers.

Will the ADA's provisions protect me? Who knows. Unless it's "undue hardship" to call in another person to fill my role with reasonable notice, I would hope so... In any case, I'm genuinely afraid of disciplinary action of some sort (being written up, or even a "last warning" kind of thing, or the worst-case scenario, "bye"), especially considering I'm still on a "probationary period" after being hired and have had two absences so far.

Also I'm one of those random people who PM'd muggi for advice a while ago. If you find his advice unsuitable and general content not favorable, you can ignore him (I've done this to other users on other forums). I don't often agree with him on happiness attainment (though I suppose his advice is irrelevant considering internal factors I face), but I enjoy reading his posts often enough. Also, the dude got a fire cape at a really low level before Jad was made ezpz and was a cool PKer, come on, that's some cool RuneScape history there.

• Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

Got a promotion today. Was really unexpected. My salary took a 30% rise in all. Includes stuff like house, car, phone, and living allowances though. But still, 30% is huge. I'm leaving work in an hour or so and then i'm going to start shopping for a new car. Not 100% sure on what i want to get yet but i've been thinking Mercedes or BMW for a long time now. I've heard there are some cheaper Maserati's that i might be able to buy, but i'll have to wait and see. 

Only downside of this promotion is that my work hours increased to a full 40 hours a week and i can no longer just "take the day off" whenever i feel like it. But hey... sacrifices are to be made sometimes.

• Like 1

I enjoy reading muggi's posts and seeing his POV, even if I don't agree with all of it.

When people post here talking about an idea, or a problem, it's natural that others are going to respond with their opinions or advice. That's part of healthy dialogue and shouldn't be stifled for any reason.

• Like 2

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

So I just came back from talking to the store manager. He says it's up to my immediate manager. I feel better now, though there is still some worry. I'll contact him later.

On a side note, would anyone know how to piece together different forms of text-based media in one document? If you've read, say, House of Leaves or other similar esoteric postmodernist literature, there is a distinct formatting and structure that works alongside the text itself to deliver the story. I have an idea for a modern approach to a diary-styled narrative* involving a variety of text, from things like IRC chats to terminal/console input to source code to general notes and ramblings. I suppose I could use some TeX engine, but the last time I used text was in high school...

*: Inspired by my experiences and desires, particularly since August 2014 and especially since April 2015. Also, I'd like to pay homage to my favorite short story, Charlotte Perkin Gilman's The Yellow Wallpaper, which features a diary-like progression of events and an unreliable narrator. Considering the approach I want to take, it would be nigh unpublishable, hence my desire to generate the layout and formatting myself.

ozXHe7P.png

@Ammako

Show-off time~

QgO0YH2.jpg

I don't think jealousy can describe this.

yo, guess I haven't posted here in a while but I'm too lazy to sum up everything that's happened in the last couple weeks so tl;dr is Seattle was [bleep]ing awesome, didn't get the job at Microsoft but it was an amazing time, now I'm moved back to school, new apartment is tiny, new roommates are cool, cooking sucks

Had a pretty wild weekend. On friday night I ended up seeing Joe Hertler & the rainbow seekers for the 6th time with a bunch of my friends from back home and  it was stupid fun; guy always puts on a mindblowing show. Got to meet joe after the set too which was pretty cool. Last night I ended up going to see Of Montreal with a couple other friends on acid, which was... pretty mindblowing haha. For those of you who aren't familiar, Of Montreal is a psychedelic pop band with crazy music and even crazier theatrics, with bizarre costumes and crazy visuals while making some of the most upbeat, danceable music out there. I've never seen another band put on a show like these guys do. I can't find a good video of them live but I'll just leave a music video here to give an idea of their sound/aesthetic if anyone is interested.

• Like 1