Today...

Leoo

I hat ethis dorm it's so [bleep]ing cold I was shivering the entire time I typed this and it made it incredibly difficult to type ughhhh

I dont understand (romantic) attraction that isn't also sexual :lol:.

I think it's basically the same thing as friendship

Adaquately and accurately defining romantic attraction has been an incredibly difficult thing for the aromantic spectrum for a long time, because it's kind of ephemereal. Friendship is the same, though, really. Like, what is a friendship? It's going to look and feel completely different for different people. Yet, you personally can generally say when you're friends with someone vs. being an acquaintance. Same with romantic relationships: a person can usually tell when they're romantically attracted to someone, and that's what it takes to be so. For you two, part of that is a sexual attraction, and you won't feel romantic attraction without it, which is fine and fairly common, but definitely not universal.

Anyway, the best definition I've seen in the past few years of being in the aro spectrum is this:

Romantic attraction seems to be about feeling a connection or a potential for a connection to someone– and a willingness to be open and share intimate things with that person– but without having yet developed the basis for trust or stability that would normally support that intimacy. ( And where there is an existing meaningful relationship, it’s like potential to jump ahead or get into a different kind of intimacy without getting there the long, stable, rational way. ) It’s kind of like feeling or imagining a connection… but without the emotional work.

So if you're going out on a date with someone you met on Tindr, you are trying to get to know the person relatively intimately (over a series of dates, anyway) without having any sort of rapport to serve as a foundation on which to build that intimacy. Romantic attraction, then, is the desire to obtain that intimacy with another person. If the only reason you would want to seek that intimacy is if you want to have sex with the other person, then that's a necessary component to you feeling romantic attraction.

An alternate way to look at this definition is as a desire to get to know someone more emotionally intimately than they would a friend. Like, you have your best friends and closest friends and there's a level of emotional intimacy and sharing you have with them, and a romantic relationship would be a level beyond that. You want to have more of an emotional connection with the person, and you want to have more involvement and power to solve emotional issues with that other person than you would with a best friend. This makes a lot more sense for people who would only want to date friends/people they know than for those doing online dating or meeting people at bars, but it still applies to the latter group.

One thing this definition doesn't touch on is that romantic attraction generally implies/requires a level of commitment. If you enter a romantic relationship with someone, especially a serious one, you're usually saying you are going to be with this person for a long time and you're going to put in a lot of effort to make sure the relationship keeps going even when both internal and external pressures threaten to break it up. I.e., you'll move with your romantic partner/travel to visit them with some regularity if they move, whereas if you moved to another city solely because your friend did so, that would be kind of weird.

So, summary, romantic attraction without sexual attraction is all of the above things, but without wanting to bone them. It's a desire to get to know someone in a deeply emotionally intimate way without a necessary corresponding desire to want to have sex with them. And, again, for some people that doesn't make sense, as the only way they'll have that desire for someone is to want to have sex with them. Everyone feels all attractions (romantic, sexual, platonic, etc.) differently, and understanding that is key to understanding the different types of orientations.

Yeah this doesn't make any sense to me lol. This all just sounds like either platonic friendship or sexual attraction

I have several male friends exactly like this. I wouldn't consider that romantic

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

The fact that kids claim they have boyfriends and girlfriends before puberty doesn't speak to their immaturity as loudly as it speaks of society'so high pressure demanding heteronormative behavior on innocent children. Why is it cute to talk about a 1 year old boy and girl getting together in the future like it's some normal thing? They're [bleep]ing infants, let them be infants.

• Like 2

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

It'd be really cool if there was no direct influence on romantic/sexual behavior during development

I'm suddenly reminded of one of my more entertaining lifeguarding days, where a couple of the kids from the summer camp got "married". It kept everyone entertained (lifeguards included, they had the "ceremony" on the beach). They got a divorce later that day :lol:

All the kids involved would have been 10 years old, give or take a couple years. I am happy to say that it was the kids ideas (mostly the brides). I can't remember the point, I just remember that everyone who passed as an adult went along with it because it was kind of cute, and you don't get in the way of entertainment that makes time go by faster.

As to the point at hand, no influence would be nice, but even if we could somehow block out all the influences while they grow up, that all still breaks down as soon as one of their peers is old enough to follow nature's course. Peer groups will always put pressure on each other, and attempt to define and enforce social norms. That is one of the realities of being a social species, for better or worse. I'd also argue that there are positive aspects to our 'sharing of views' or whatever, such as (hopefully) teaching that rape is wrong, that STD's are a thing and how to avoid them, stuff like that.

What does bother me is social regression on this front. I'm not the best person to talk on the subject, because history has never been my thing (but I do enjoy the pleasure of having friends who study this sort of thing, so yay), but if you go back, you'll find civilizations like the Vikings who are far more progressive on many fronts that we are today, or were until recently (for the Vikings, women's rights would be a highlight). Knowing that our species was able to regress so radically between then and now puts a damper on my hopes that society will continue to progress, and one day not treat at least one segment of society in a terrible way. Of course, you can see it trying to happen in real time, with groups like ISIS.

Err, that started going to dark places. But yeah, as terrible as our influences on the young can be, I think there is hope that as the...more progressive people become more numerous, that will be passed on to more and more people, and you will eventually have a social shift for the better (or if you're socially conservative, a shift towards social deviancy and ruin :D), and that ultimately, this will probably lead to better places than letting everyone come to their own conclusions about what is, and is not, okay.

The vikings had way more power in women's hands than modern women.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I've also read on the Internet that viking women held all domestic financial power because they were believed to be mystic, and a cheating husband was punished by castration if this is the source you're referring to. But I'm fairly certain I read it on tumblr, so let's do some fact digging

I've also read on the Internet that viking women held all domestic financial power because they were believed to be mystic, and a cheating husband was punished by castration if this is the source you're referring to. But I'm fairly certain I read it on tumblr, so let's do some fact digging

I've read that as well, and haven't seen any factual evidence to support that. Wikipedia (a much more reliable source) shows that viking women had somewhat more autonomy than the average woman of a thousand years ago, but that's not what's being contended.

• Like 1

polvCwJ.gif

http://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/10597635.pdf

^That seems to be one of the main papers referenced on the Viking roles topic.

Good find. Basically agrees with what wikipedia said: women were relatively well off compared to other cultures of that age, but equate that with the freedoms and privileges enjoyed by the modern western women is ludicrous.

polvCwJ.gif

While the author has about as much credibility as myself on the subject, being an undergrad it does show evidence of strong female roles in viking society. Caused by what caused American feminist ideals were rooted in; men were off to war - women picked up the slack and ended up doing well for themselves. I'd say the math works out

While the author has about as much credibility as myself on the subject, being an undergrad it does show evidence of strong female roles in viking society. Caused by what caused American feminist ideals were rooted in; men were off to war - women picked up the slack and ended up doing well for themselves. I'd say the math works out

• Like 7

77yLQy8.png

I'm really glad my phone new expensive phone is so eager to share my thoughts and opinions. Repeatedly.

Earlier, I used to have the trouble of going out and drinking all night long and then waking up alone in the afternoon at my place.

Right now I have the trouble of not drinking and waking up at noon at someone else's place.

And I think I failed an exam. Again. The same exam I have failed 5 times earlier already.

Life goes in mysterious ways.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc