Today...

Leoo

Funny how much power the football team wields :D .

Well considering football brings the school millions of dollars, I'd consider them a powerful driving force in the matter. Much more powerful than some kid who says he's going to "starve himself" or some random other made up crap.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Funny how much power the football team wields :D .

Well considering football brings the school millions of dollars, I'd consider them a powerful driving force in the matter. Much more powerful than some kid who says he's going to "starve himself" or some random other made up crap.

Football and athletics (at a university level) in general bleed money. Very few actually run a profit. The idea of the football team being a cash cow is a fallacy.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Funny how much power the football team wields :D .

Football and athletics (at a university level) in general bleed money. Very few actually run a profit. The idea of the football team being a cash cow is a fallacy.
Except that it can be a cash cow. I'm not sure how it is in the states with free ride athletic scholarships but a good sports program can attract people to the school just as much as academics.

Except that it can be a cash cow. I'm not sure how it is in the states with free ride athletic scholarships but a good sports program can attract people to the school just as much as academics.

For the individual athlete getting a scholarship, sure it's a great deal for the student. But as a net it's going to lose money. Just from a common sense perspective, one has all these coaches to pay millions and then former coaches with severance packages etc., etc...what is going to mitigate that cost, exactly? There are only so many $10 tickets you can sell for games and only so much revenue from advertising/merchandise.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I'm really glad my phone new expensive phone is so eager to share my thoughts and opinions. Repeatedly.

Fixed that for you :P

Watching the release of Fallout 4 with some interest, though I suppose it will be a few days yet until the feedback gets paired down to something more coherent and useful.

For the individual athlete getting a scholarship, sure it's a great deal for the student. But as a net it's going to lose money. Just from a common sense perspective, one has all these coaches to pay millions and then former coaches with severance packages etc., etc...what is going to mitigate that cost, exactly? There are only so many $10 tickets you can sell for games and only so much revenue from advertising/merchandise.

Yes I can see that, although up here athletics isn't such a big deal. My comment was getting at the fact that a football team has say 60 players on the bench. If 1/3 of them are on full ride scholarships than that is still 40 people that may have chosen this university based solely on the strength of their athletic program.

Well, first of all, tickets aren't $10. Student tickets are usually pretty cheap (ours were $15), but other tickets are usually $50-$100. For big games, you'll have to pay upwards of $200 for a ticket. And then factor in the fact that these stadiums are enormous (Faurot Stadium seats 75k, the Swamp seats 90k), and ticket revenue becomes pretty significant.

Mizzou isn't a huge school, but they'll still pull in close to $100m this year, almost entirely from football. Some schools will get more than double that.

Football in power 5 conferences is absolutely a cash cow. They make so much money, it's ridiculous.

Even in conferences with reduced scholarships and smaller stadiums, schools still operate with budgets in the tens of millions.

Teams are only unprofitable when they make longer term, more expensive investments into their program (expanding their stadiums, hiring more expensive coaches, increasing scholarships, upgrading facilities), but the vast majority pay off.

Outside of those large investments, a football program's actual deficit will only be about 40-50% of its revenue. The other 50-60% gets put into other sports primarily, with the rest being used however the university wants to use it. Typically, a football program will fund every other sport, then the leftovers + basketball revenue gets reinvested into the school. Whatever's leftover gets marked as profit and is usually saved for a rainy day.

The only real exception is HBCUs, like Gambling St., but I don't want to open that can of worms.

• Like 2

Yeah I suppose that's all a fair point, I didn't realize that they were able to sell so many non-student tickets at higher prices/compete with other professional sports. Title IX stuff still drags its feet in terms of costs though.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

So, I may wind up swapping phones after all. I'm looking at the ASUS ZenFone 2 now.

I bought this phone, then broke the screen. I ordered and installed a replacement screen, but the double-sided tape didn't hold, so I had to take it apart again. The second time around, I broke the antenna connector off the main board, and turned the phone into a small wifi tablet.

I haven't had to solder anything this fine before, and am not confident in my ability to do so.

Don't mean to intrude, but might I suggest investing in a less fragile phone next time around?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Ordered 5 ties from AliExpress. Cost me 8€, all together.

I haven't gotten cheated on there yet and it ain't my first order. But I do wonder, how the [bleep]ing hell can everything be so cheap there.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I haven't gotten cheated on there yet and it ain't my first order. But I do wonder, how the [bleep]ing hell can everything be so cheap there.

Sweatshop labour and acquisition directly from the source.
  • Like 1

Because it's trash.

Hmm, seems as if I'm going to get a myself an S4 on Friday after I get paid. Walmart is offering a $100 gift card if I get it on a new plan with the carrier I am with anyway. My current phone is dying and the S4 is basically the slightly more buff equivalent. Since I am happy with what I have and I can get $60 free after I pay off the remaining $40 on my current phone, why not?

Speaking of crazy football-related news, a player is being investigated for taunting a police dog, which (among other similar laws) is apparently a third degree felony in all 50 states. Crazy living in America...

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

AliExpress is as much trash as is anything in Wal-Mart or Macy's.

Everything is made in China.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc