Today...

Leoo

Posting from FreeBSD! I ended up having the Nvidia drivers load after boot via rc.conf. Running Mate as the desktop environment. Prior to that I have a small login manager called Slim, rather than the default terminal login prompt. Installed Firefox and set it up with uMatrix, Adblock Plus, and switched the search engine to DuckDuckGo. I made the Firefox profile from scratch due to legacy cruft from my other computers, so I set up all the passwords and set up a nice, organized bunch of bookmarks.

Going to install some coding stuff, like Sublime Text and Rust compilers. May also doodle around with Wine and test out some games and Windows software to see how well that works. Once I get settled I'm going to begin customizing all the things... I want to be able to render OpenGL stuff to the desktop so I can have spiffy animated backgrounds and customize the theme (icons and windows and all that) to fit.

All together, pretty sweet! FreeBSD is awesome.

• Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

I realize today that I still have a hell of a lot of growing up to do but I just don't get any of the support I need from my brother. Just criticism and no acknowledgement of my accomplishments.

Requiescat in pace, Shiva "Anarith" Kumar.
dea6a17b9c.png
351 Quest Points|99 Strength|99 Attack|99 Constitution|99 Defence|99 Magic|138 Combat|99 Summoning|99 Slayer|99 Ranged|99 Firemaking|99 Dungeoneering|99 Cooking|99 Prayer|99 Runecrafting|99 Smithing|99 Fletching|99 Construction|99 Farming|99 Fishing|99 Herblore|99 Crafting|99 Agility
True friends are never separated by distance, for they are forever linked by their hearts.

Join the HYT CLAN![qfc]90-91-310-65710712[/qfc]

You can't go all your life seeking acknowledgement of your accomplishments. You gotta know yourself that they are there.

• Like 1

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I wouldn't say that everything is vague, just personal details are vague.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

I know where one of you lives. But who is it? Bwahahaha

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

As it happens, if you go to work in IT, people might check EVERYTHING about you online.

So it is a miracle I haven't been approached by all the things written in this forum.

Luckily I have also been quite vague.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

There wouldn't be anything to tie this forum to your real life I wouldn't think. I've always been very careful to keep the two separate

I had one of those evenings last night were you just want to break everything you touch and wish everyone would get cancer and die or something.... Luckily I have a job where I can throw stuff and not get any looks from my co-workers. I'm not really the most cheerful or upbeat of people, but I've never been *that* low/angry before. It may just be me adjusting to working 3rd shift... I haven't gotten restful sleep in like 3 weeks now. 

It was also sort of the first night where I didn't really have to focus on my work and was left to think about and imagine stuff...

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

There wouldn't be anything to tie this forum to your real life I wouldn't think. I've always been very careful to keep the two separate

It would not be hard to connect my username used throughout the web with my real name. However, I don't feel anything I'm posted is harmful--at most, it's embarassing my earliest internet conversations, haha (due to childhood naiveity/ignorance/innocence; I've been doodling around on the internet since 11 years-old). Though I do worry that certain views and opinions I've expressed could be used against me by law enforcement or social activists, in very possible situations involving a regressive path towards an authoritorian government or influential and pervasive extremist social/political/religious/etc groups sprouting up, but I hope that thinking is as a result of parania and such a future is only a possibility, not a reality...

ozXHe7P.png

Posting from FreeBSD! I ended up having the Nvidia drivers load after boot via rc.conf. Running Mate as the desktop environment. Prior to that I have a small login manager called Slim, rather than the default terminal login prompt. Installed Firefox and set it up with uMatrix, Adblock Plus, and switched the search engine to DuckDuckGo. I made the Firefox profile from scratch due to legacy cruft from my other computers, so I set up all the passwords and set up a nice, organized bunch of bookmarks.

Going to install some coding stuff, like Sublime Text and Rust compilers. May also doodle around with Wine and test out some games and Windows software to see how well that works. Once I get settled I'm going to begin customizing all the things... I want to be able to render OpenGL stuff to the desktop so I can have spiffy animated backgrounds and customize the theme (icons and windows and all that) to fit.

All together, pretty sweet! FreeBSD is awesome.

Sounds like someone is having fun :)

From my perspective, the biggest problem people seem to run into with online identities is that different profiles start pointing at each other across different communities. As an obvious example, I use the same name here as I do in RuneScape, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out we're the same person.

What always amuses me is the number of people I've run into who live in the same city as I do. It's not something I go out of my way to conceal, but I don't advertise it either, so the pool of people where I've actually had opportunity to confirm that we live close to each other is actually pretty small. It's kind of nice actually., and perhaps easier because a number of Canadians will go out of their way to differentiate themselves from the often American majority if they can. 

Job interview went well. I hear back by the 4th. Everyone pray for me or sacrifice a goat or something

• Like 1

Job interview went well. I hear back by the 4th. Everyone pray for me or sacrifice a goat or something

While compiling Rust, I'll keep you in my thoughts. Can't promise anything more than that. Good luck! What type of job is it, by the way?

ozXHe7P.png

Case management for youth at risk. Apparently being an operations manager qualified me. And my potential supervisorvisor seemed to like me which is a good sign. 5 other applicants and I know own 2 of them are also straight out of college so maybe if I'm lucky and the stars align I'll have a new and better job

Sounds like a good (in the sense of dutiful, positive, helpful) job!

Compiled Rust 1.4.0 and Cargo 0.6 with minimal fuss on FreeBSD. I didn't use the packages available for FreeBSD since they're older versions (Rust 1.3.0 and Cargo 0.4). Ran into a tiny problem caused by GNU make, but that was an easy fix (the error was pretty self-explanatory: GNU make invoked the native FreeBSD make when executing other Makefiles, a simple "gmake MAKE=gmake" fixed that). Some test programs of varying complexity all compiled and ran fine, so it seems I'm good to go!

Onwards to developing something I've been itching to do properly for a long time:  a portable 2D vector graphics library for real-time rendering. There's seriously nothing notable that meets the portable and fast requirements in existence currently. For real time applications (like games and interactive GUIs), you have various half-baked open-source solutions with too many quirks (various OpenVG implementations) or Direct2D (not portable and even still poorly supported by Microsoft). For portable libraries, you have many quality, but exceedingly slow libraries, in abundance, but have fun rendering a 1080p scene of moderate complexity at even 30 FPS, let alone 1440p or 4K at 60+ FPS...

When factoring in the distinct features I've implemented in a proof-of-concept library (resolution-independent curve rendering using Loop-Blinn, a novel sorting algorithm permitting group transparency without an intermediate framebuffer, and efficient resource management fit for the GPU), there's nothing that would be comparable.

ozXHe7P.png

First, that sounds pretty awesome. Second, I feel like FreeBSD is unfortunately named. Maybe it's just me, but I can't help but read that as "free blue screen of death", which is not my top choice name for an operating system.

And Good Luck to you, RPG!

• Like 1

Friday I went to Ottawa and had a look at the Canadian houses of parliament and peace tower.

Then I went to the market and then drove to Montreal where I went to dinner with some friends and had a great time clubbing.

On Saturday we continued our drive to Quebec city where we went on a walk and tour around the city. It got bitterly cold in the evening even though I was able to tolerate it for a while. We went clubbing in Quebec and it was really fun. We then went back to the hotel and woke up early for a drive back to Montreal where we went to the Notre Dame and chilled in Old Montreal. Then we got back in the car and drove for about six hours (stopping for dinner) and arrived in Toronto. 

I had a fantastic weekend and arrived back home at about 2am where I literally threw my things down and went straight to bed.

It has snowed a hell of a lot here but it's beautiful to see everything coated in snow.

Probably going to see Mockingjay at some point during the week.

It's my friend's birthday so I have some rum. Not really sure if I feel like partying but I'll still be sociable.

• Like 1