Herblore: A Guide.

Sentry_Wolf

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I suggest a couple alternate methods for obtaining some of these items?

First with regards to farming, which I agree is by far the most efficient way of obtaining herbs. The trollheim farming patch will never get diseased, so I have two levels of herb farming going on simultaneously: one for the other four patches which sometimes get diseased and one for this one which will always yield herbs.

For example: I buy inexpensive herb seeds for the four patches -- usually either avantoe or toadflax, and I have a farming route which covers only these four patches. For the trollheim patch I buy more expensive seeds (snapdragon or ranarr), and I farm this patch as the last thing I do before I logout and the first thing I do when I login. I usually play in two hour stretches with breaks in between, so before I logout I get two of my expensive seeds, teleport to trollheim, harvest and plant the patch and logout. Then when I login later I again harvest and replant the patch (with the second seed I brought) and teleport somewhere else to set up another run with my cheap farming route. This plan suits my style and schedule of play, but I realize it may not be nearly as useful for people who play on a different schedule. On the upshot, if I plant before I go to bed at night I can harvest in the morning in just 3 minutes no matter how busy my day is or how early I have to be somewhere.

My favored potion to train for the cheap route is super energy because it is reasonable XP considering how inexpensive it is to make. The seeds are cheap that I don't mind having one die once in awhile, and the pots usually sell well (though of course prices vary from day to day). I also have a very efficient method for obtaining Mort Myre Fungus. It requires a house with an altar (in the chapel) and a teleport room with Kharyrll teleport (which requires Desert Treasure quest).

[hide=]Inventory: Wield an air staff (recommended), wear spotted/spottier cape and boots of lightness (optional). Carry 20 or so laws and earths (for house teleport - alternative option is to carry house teleport tabs and wield your silver sickle) and blessed silver sickle. I also recommend summoning a bull ant or spirit terrorbird for both increased inventory and unlimited run energy (I prefer terrorbird to tortoise in this case because tortoise doesn't have extra run special, and I usually run out of prayer before I fill up the tortoise inventory so the space is wasted anyway).

Teleport to your house, pray at the altar if you're not full, and take the Kharyrll teleport to Canifis. Run west and through the swamp gate. Once through the gate if you stay within three or four steps of the fence the Ghasts won't attack, so you don't even need to bring druid pouches. The best place is the three logs just inside the gate to the southwest. Stand between the two and begin collecting fungus. Fill up your follower and continue until your inventory is full or you run out of prayer. With 76 prayer I usually come out almost perfectly even -- I run out of prayer with almost exactly enough fungus to fill my inventory and my terrorbird.

Teleport to your house, pray at your altar, take the Kharyrll teleport back to Canifis and bank (remember the button at the bottom of the bank interface which empties your follower's inventory straight into your bank without all the extra clicking). If your run energy is getting low after the first or second trip now is a chance to grab a scroll to recharge it on the way. Now head back to the swamp and repeat. Very efficient. I average 35-37 fungi/trip, and I can make about 11-12 trips with on terrorbird before he runs out of time.[/hide]

Also, I know most players look down on it, but I find the Tower of Life very useful for obtaining red spider eggs by killing spidines. You can use Ardougne teleport or fairy rings to get there quickly, start with a few dozen sardines in your bank (buy them at Port Sarim fishing shop or elsewhere), and make sure the last thing you do before you leave the tower each time is put one of the red spider eggs back on the alter, where it will stay there indefinitely waiting for you to add the second ingredient, so you never have to bring red eggs with you to start the process. If I go down there with 12 or 13 sardines I come back with 40+ eggs (using familiar) in one trip.

It's not as useful for unicorn horns because the raw materials are more demanding and the drops are smaller quantities, and I think it would be silly to use it for eyes of newt as those are so cheap already.

Also, you didn't mention farming as a means of obtaining white berries. It's not very fast or convenient, but the seeds are dirt cheap (nobody farms bushes) and some players might find it less daunting to grow them over a few hours (or days depending how many you need) than traveling through Isafdar to collect them. It's not a fast way by any means (I'm guessing the only fast way GE), but for DIYers like me it's reasonable to collect them steadily over a period of time, farm them whenever business takes me in the vicinity of a bush patch, and just keep a stock of them for when I have cadantine seeds or herbs.

Forgive me, this is longer than I meant it to be. I promise I'm not trying to steal your thunder or take the spotlight, I just want to help. And feel free to disagree with me. I appreciate the work you've done on this guide and I hope it continues to grow.

Ok, thank you everyone for the feedback. I am a lazy git when it comes to updating, what with real life and my other Runescaping. I wouldn't have the heart to keep going on without your bundles of support! But I need to get some stuff done. So, for the moment nothing is updated, I will get to it! :wall:

Things to come:

- More WV's collecting methods.

- Deeper look into farming.

- More collecting secondary items.

Thank you Nviiibigler for the post, I will look into the stuff, they look good!

Can I suggest a couple alternate methods for obtaining some of these items?

First with regards to farming, which I agree is by far the most efficient way of obtaining herbs. The trollheim farming patch will never get diseased, so I have two levels of herb farming going on simultaneously: one for the other four patches which sometimes get diseased and one for this one which will always yield herbs.

For example: I buy inexpensive herb seeds for the four patches -- usually either avantoe or toadflax, and I have a farming route which covers only these four patches. For the trollheim patch I buy more expensive seeds (snapdragon or ranarr), and I farm this patch as the last thing I do before I logout and the first thing I do when I login. I usually play in two hour stretches with breaks in between, so before I logout I get two of my expensive seeds, teleport to trollheim, harvest and plant the patch and logout. Then when I login later I again harvest and replant the patch (with the second seed I brought) and teleport somewhere else to set up another run with my cheap farming route. This plan suits my style and schedule of play, but I realize it may not be nearly as useful for people who play on a different schedule. On the upshot, if I plant before I go to bed at night I can harvest in the morning in just 3 minutes no matter how busy my day is or how early I have to be somewhere.

My favored potion to train for the cheap route is super energy because it is reasonable XP considering how inexpensive it is to make. The seeds are cheap that I don't mind having one die once in awhile, and the pots usually sell well (though of course prices vary from day to day). I also have a very efficient method for obtaining Mort Myre Fungus. It requires a house with an altar (in the chapel) and a teleport room with Kharyrll teleport (which requires Desert Treasure quest).

[hide=]Inventory: Wield an air staff (recommended), wear spotted/spottier cape and boots of lightness (optional). Carry 20 or so laws and earths (for house teleport - alternative option is to carry house teleport tabs and wield your silver sickle) and blessed silver sickle. I also recommend summoning a bull ant or spirit terrorbird for both increased inventory and unlimited run energy (I prefer terrorbird to tortoise in this case because tortoise doesn't have extra run special, and I usually run out of prayer before I fill up the tortoise inventory so the space is wasted anyway).

Teleport to your house, pray at the altar if you're not full, and take the Kharyrll teleport to Canifis. Run west and through the swamp gate. Once through the gate if you stay within three or four steps of the fence the Ghasts won't attack, so you don't even need to bring druid pouches. The best place is the three logs just inside the gate to the southwest. Stand between the two and begin collecting fungus. Fill up your follower and continue until your inventory is full or you run out of prayer. With 76 prayer I usually come out almost perfectly even -- I run out of prayer with almost exactly enough fungus to fill my inventory and my terrorbird.

Teleport to your house, pray at your altar, take the Kharyrll teleport back to Canifis and bank (remember the button at the bottom of the bank interface which empties your follower's inventory straight into your bank without all the extra clicking). If your run energy is getting low after the first or second trip now is a chance to grab a scroll to recharge it on the way. Now head back to the swamp and repeat. Very efficient. I average 35-37 fungi/trip, and I can make about 11-12 trips with on terrorbird before he runs out of time.[/hide]

Also, I know most players look down on it, but I find the Tower of Life very useful for obtaining red spider eggs by killing spidines. You can use Ardougne teleport or fairy rings to get there quickly, start with a few dozen sardines in your bank (buy them at Port Sarim fishing shop or elsewhere), and make sure the last thing you do before you leave the tower each time is put one of the red spider eggs back on the alter, where it will stay there indefinitely waiting for you to add the second ingredient, so you never have to bring red eggs with you to start the process. If I go down there with 12 or 13 sardines I come back with 40+ eggs (using familiar) in one trip.

It's not as useful for unicorn horns because the raw materials are more demanding and the drops are smaller quantities, and I think it would be silly to use it for eyes of newt as those are so cheap already.

Also, you didn't mention farming as a means of obtaining white berries. It's not very fast or convenient, but the seeds are dirt cheap (nobody farms bushes) and some players might find it less daunting to grow them over a few hours (or days depending how many you need) than traveling through Isafdar to collect them. It's not a fast way by any means (I'm guessing the only fast way GE), but for DIYers like me it's reasonable to collect them steadily over a period of time, farm them whenever business takes me in the vicinity of a bush patch, and just keep a stock of them for when I have cadantine seeds or herbs.

Forgive me, this is longer than I meant it to be. I promise I'm not trying to steal your thunder or take the spotlight, I just want to help. And feel free to disagree with me. I appreciate the work you've done on this guide and I hope it continues to grow.

Nice tips, but if I'm not mistaking, it's still better to plant expensive seeds. Yes, it's annoying if they die, but you gotta look at the averages:

Say the average is 6: herbs (including deaths).

Avantoe seed is like 10k profit then. (rough guess)

Snapdragon: 15k profit (not sure though, I havent farmed in a looong time and havent checked prices).

I hope you get my point.

Nice tips, but if I'm not mistaking, it's still better to plant expensive seeds. Yes, it's annoying if they die, but you gotta look at the averages:

Snapdragon: 15k profit (not sure though, I havent farmed in a looong time and havent checked prices).

I hope you get my point.

Snapdragon seeds are ~ 38k

Snapdragon herbs are ~8k

6 x 8k = 48k for an approximate profit of 10k per seed

Ranarr seeds are ~ 23k

Ranarr herbs are ~ 6.2k

6 x 6.2k = 37.2k for an approximate profit of 14k per seed

Toadflax gives ~ 12k profit per seed

Dwarf weed is ~ 8k profit per seed

Kwuarm gives ~ 12k profit per seed

Average of 6 herbs (Including the occasional dead herbs)

[hide=Stats/Goals And Drops]66evilone67.gif

66evilone67.png

66evilone67.png

66evilone67.png

3 - Black Mask

3 - Dragon Med Helm---1 - Dragon Boots---1 - Dragon Spear

5 - Granite Maul[/hide]

I hope you get my point.

Snapdragon herbs are ~8k

Ranarr seeds are ~ 23k

Ranarr herbs are ~ 6.2k

The average is more like 6.4-6.8 including deaths. I believe it varies per seed, like ranarrs give a lower average yield. Anyway, it doesn't change the point. In this case dyi isn't a good idea, better just to farm snaps for profit then do whatever you want with that.

2dvjurb.png

I hope you get my point.

Snapdragon herbs are ~8k

Ranarr seeds are ~ 23k

Ranarr herbs are ~ 6.2k

My bad, I havent farmed in ages. When I farmed I bought snap seeds for 20-30k each and the herbs were 8-9k each. Or something around that...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Superb Guide :thumbsup: . It will help alot.

Also for getting chocolate bar as a secondary it might be quicker to buy them from adrounge baker stall because they're infintive, but its a pain turns them into choclate dust.

And on the first line in the leveling section you have mis spelt weather it should be whether.

~

Runescape - Currently In-active and a cancelled membership due to a broken computer and a cabbage laptop!

2xBarrowsReward

1600SkillTotalReached|08/05/2010

(Previously 'Darkknightider', wow that was a bad name :p)

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pWha5KWTPQCo3iureEDFSMw

Updated with new sheet, this handy little tool gets prices straight from GE database, and the prices are up to date! Might make some more in the future, enjoy.

that's really cool, but the loss per doesn't work

also, would it be possible to literally add a gp/xp column?

supa hawt guide

• 2 weeks later...

A fairly well done guide mate, I plan to use this as I want to get up to 60 Herblore.

One thing I might add though, I found that to obtain Limpwurt Roots, it was easiest (in my opinion) to kill Hobgoblins (Level 28/42). They seemed to drop a relatively good amount of Limpwurts.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Going to update the guide with new glamorous images and maybe even a new section or two. Will try to update old/out of date sections too! If there's anything your dying to see added in or anything that's out of date please provide your feedback. Feedback is what makes this guide going along!

Don't be a lurker, your input is greatly appreciated! It doesn't take much to type a few words on what you think. ;)

Thanks guys. <3:

Your guide seems to be lacking the most profitable potion to make for high level herblorist, weapon poison ++.

Here's a small guide to add to yours.

Weapon poison ++ requires the following:

Coconut milk (use a coconut with a hammer, then a vial with the open coconut)

cave nightshade (acquired through farming - maximum of 2 per day or through picking the skavid spawn in a cave near the ogre enclave - will explain the best way to gather these later on)

poison berry (bush farming or buy these)

Weapon poison ++ sells for around 5k these days and the buyable ingredients can be obtained for roughly 1,3k-1,5k making the cave nightshade an intrinsic value of around 3,5k per spawn.

Gathering cave nightshade :

1- log into a crowded world (1500+)

2- start at castle wars with a ring of dueling equiped

3- inventory ---> light source (seer's headband works) skavid map obtain in the watchtower quest , if lost, ask a lvl 83 ogre guard inside the ogre city, you may have to use a death rune on him.

Also carry stacking training items (alchs, ammo fletching...)

4- beast of burden can't carry nightshade, have a foraging familiar to boost your profit (fruit bat, magpie...)

5- running from CW to ogre city, enter the first cave you see. If there is someone already there, respectfully hop to another crowded world. If not, pick the spawn and alch of fletch while waiting for the next one (30 seconds spawn on a crowded world... around one minute on a normal sub 1000 world)

6- when full, tele to CW, deposit BoB and nightshades and repeat

You can get around 90 nightshades per hour that way which is around 300k profit per hour. Always check the G.E. for prices before doing this activity to judge if it's worth your time. Weapon poison ++ will sell in less than an hour these days.

Ohhh one last thing, questers will sometimes appear (they always wear the antifire shield), be courteous and let them get one spawn.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

tower of life is also great place to get red spider eggs unicorn horns thats were i do it at least :P dont know if this was in there great monsters if u want to collect your own farming seeds dagannoths/turoths

phixcire.png

D.Drops=Skirt9 Med9 Spear2 Visage2 Legs6 boots35 shield half1 whip15 dbow5

phixcire.png

phixcire.png

I think your spreadsheet is wrong. Take saradomin brews for example. You use the following data:

Cost of Primary Item Cost of Secondary Item Vial of Water Cost of Finished Product

2212 1581 87 4012

I'd say the cost of finished product has to be 2212 + 1581 + 87 = 3880gp, and not 4012gp. Am I wrong?

Timmie+Great.pngTimmy+Ownage.png

A couple corrections: you only need four supercomposts if you're only farming herbs, as My Arm's patch doesn't require it. hat's moot though as I farm limps, and will grow strawberries or better in the allotments, and will harvest/plant belladonna while at Draynor. Or 5 Supercomposts at Draynor, 4 each for Ardy, Cath, & Phas, and none for Trollheim.

Fishing guild teleport is much closer than Ardougne tele. But be sure to wear gloves (not a combat bracelet) if also farming Belladonna though.

You can now use grimy herbs (and allotments/fruit/flowers/etc.) on the leprechaun and he will note them for you!

ciabelle.png