Jagex and popularity

Yomyth105

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, they are advertising, but only to the people who they can easily appeal to. Miniclip and addictinggames are for people looking for a game to try out, and the E3 is for gamers who might appreciate how good they got java to be. I doubt TV advertising would be that effective

croppedskill2ph6.png

621st person to achieve 99 slayer on December 3rd, 2007

177th person to 99 summoning on June 21st, 2008

In my opinion, they are advertising, but only to the people who they can easily appeal to. Miniclip and addictinggames are for people looking for a game to try out, and the E3 is for gamers who might appreciate how good they got java to be. I doubt TV advertising would be that effective

I think the main reason for that is that where they advertise is people looking for something to try and pass the time (miniclip & addicting games) and E3 for people that would appreciate it as you said but also that they would be more likely to become members.

*-P.K.Masters-* |5+ Years of Experience|F2P Events|Cmb: 95+

Well personally I agree with most of the people who post before me.

but I think that besides players spreading word around and website advertisements, I think runescape could use a couple T.V. commercials.

lord_gavin07.png

I wish i could do the 99 range emote, but sadly not yet. It is one of my goals though.

Dragon Drops: 0

Barrows Drops: 0

God Wars Drops: 0

They should advertise but maybe not as much as TV commercials, it could be just a simple banner on a popular website [remember those Adventure Quest ads?-Bleh!].

Playing for 4 years with only 3 drag drops. most amount of cash ever had: 15m :P

Something tells me im not very good at this game...

Picture1.png

Dragon Drops: 2 D skirt, 1 D med

Barrow Drops:1 Dh helm, 1 Guthan's body.

253+ quest points and counting :)

Click here to be a good person!

They should advertise but maybe not as much as TV commercials, it could be just a simple banner on a popular website [remember those Adventure Quest ads?-Bleh!].

those aq adds are still out and going strong (if anything there are more of them).

back on topic, i have sean an advert on miniclip befor i played rs, and i was just thinking "not another advert for some lame game" then a long time later one of my friends told me about it, (and naged me to play -.- ).

then i got some of my friends to get mebership two.

moral of the story, word of mouth is just the best (and the most cheep) way of advertising for something like rs.

edit: has anyone thort about the adverts of funorb?

mlpfim20percentcoolersi.jpg

I'm a Brony and proud of it!

good noobs yees yesss, dumb noobs plz dont come, i think they do enuff advertising

In English please?

OT. I think that their advertisement through word of mouth is effective enough, as you can tell with the amount of players, but with them also having Runescape on other websites i.e http://www.kongregate.com certainly brings in new players and new communities...

buzz_knight.png

buzz_knight.png

I need help with the title but ill just leave it at that for now.

Now u notice that jagex is missing alot of players. For example, why do other mmorpgs have so much more players. the other day i saw my younger brother watching his kiddie shows when pirates of the carribean online pops up. the commercial easily convinces him to make a new account, which he doesnt know how to :lol:

the point is why doesnt jagex advertise? they have the money to invest in? why dont they do it? im pretty sure making a few commercials can bring in customers which is cash :thumbsup:

I saw an ad for Pirates of the Caribbean as well. I tried to make up a character, and maybe I did, but I couldn't figure out how to play. If ever they have more players, it's because people make up characters and can't figure out how to use them, so they make up another one to see where they might have gone wrong.

I'm going to get a RuneScape hat as soon as I can, that'll be advertizing for them. I do tell everyone I know who might enjoy the game about it, too. I don't know how much advertizing they really need to do, though, if they are the record holder for the biggest (free) MMORPG two years running.

Final thought......With as much stuff as they keep adding, I don't think they could even keep the advertizements current anyway.

This might be one of the least interesting signatures on the forum. Sorry.

why do other mmorpgs have so much more players.

Because they don't. WoW is the only mmo game with more paying subscribtions than runescape (and they are so far ahead no-one will ever catch them). Check http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart1.html.

and in my eyes WoW doesn't count from my own *personal* point of view as they started out with an initial player base even before the game was released due to the warcraft series ;)

addymthiefcape,j%20maximvs.gif

j%20maximvs.gif

j%20maximvs.gif

Before like 2 years ago, RuneScape's popularity was spread only through word-of-mouth, which is something they were proud of.

Now they advertise on miniclip, addictinggames etc. Plus when they win industry awards and are at E3 etc, that's not exactly discrete.

How many people, and especially people who would be possible new players for runescape, keep up to date with who won what award in the games industry, or research E3?

hot_lips255.png

Signature your in it put backwards this read to enough smart were you if.

Did you know that 78.45% of statistics are made up on the spot?

hot_lips255.png

[Removed - Site sends spam and requires personal information to recieve results] Bluelancer

Jagex have a very difficult time just getting updates right; I doubt they would be organized enough to shoot a commercial.

their updates a perfectly adequate , they maybe be directed at younger players but their is nothing wrong with them, plus they would have a separate department working on advertisement not EVERYONE works on the game...

buzz_knight.png

buzz_knight.png

I'm sure that maintaining all those servers and paying their java programmers to code their game costs them money and 5.99 per per person a month may not cover all of their expenses to justify unnecessary advertising.

besides that, people looking over your shoulder asking "hey,what game is that?" is plenty of advertising for Runescape. :lol:

kwarlord.png

"Hey, I can't help it if I was born this cool." Adell, Disgaea 2

I think that runescape right now is in sortof a transition stage in their development as an advertising company. Word of mouth has done Jagex wonders but that's only going to take them just so far. I have a feeling that t.v. commercials will be aired but not just yet.

Sublexation.gif 203934109074superballpwnage.gif

I think they don't advertise because of the headache it would bring for them. They had enough trouble dealing with the amount of cheating and such that there used to be; so much it forced them to remove a near vital part of the game. If the sent out a commercial, it would just send that many more people into the game, and it would only take one person to find a loophole or glitch in the system and bam! Youtube video on how to use teleother on a chicken. Of course, that's a less serious example, but you get my drift. They're well off enough as they are, I'm glad they aren't getting greedy.

7 years 'scape knowledge and counting

m8pu02.png

99 Attack - June 8th 2010 99 Defence - August 2nd 2011 99 HP - December 2nd 2011

I'm sure that maintaining all those servers and paying their java programmers to code their game costs them money and 5.99 per per person a month may not cover all of their expenses to justify unnecessary advertising.

besides that, people looking over your shoulder asking "hey,what game is that?" is plenty of advertising for Runescape. :lol:

You do realise that 5.99 a month per member translates into over 6million dollars a month for Jagex, and 72million a year....

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

You do realise that 5.99 a month per member translates into over 6million dollars a month for Jagex, and 72million a year....

rawr_im_very_scary's right you know. but how much of that cant be spent of adverts becouse the need for staff payment, updating rs/funorb, forums, reporting and baning/muteing.

mlpfim20percentcoolersi.jpg

I'm a Brony and proud of it!

I don't think they should advertise on T.V. or ads. It would just attract more little kids than actual age-appropriate players. It's not like there is a similar problem going on right now, but this wouldn't help.

I think all Jagex is doing right now is trying to convince all F2P'ers into becoming P2P'ers, which won't happen any time soon. Updates also cost money, so any disposable income is probably being used on these 2 things.

rook_2222.png

F2P for life :D

I think the best advertising is done by word-of-mouth. A big part of the game for me is a group of rl friends who also play, which you can only get if a friend tells you about the game. Word-of-mouth generally attracts more mature people, vs. people who do whatever their T.V. tells them to do. This makes for a more enjoyable experience for everyone.

Oh, P.S. - word-of-mouth is free!!!! \'

ae84735921.png

Porsche: It's supposed to go in the rear.

I think they don't advertise because of the headache it would bring for them. They had enough trouble dealing with the amount of cheating and such that there used to be; so much it forced them to remove a near vital part of the game. If the sent out a commercial, it would just send that many more people into the game, and it would only take one person to find a loophole or glitch in the system and bam! Youtube video on how to use teleother on a chicken. Of course, that's a less serious example, but you get my drift. They're well off enough as they are, I'm glad they aren't getting greedy.

What the hell? You think Jagex doesn't want more paying players just because it increases the changes of someone finding a bug?

Are you high on something, or do you just make random stuff up?