Lovebugs and Cicadas

snowball

Heh, those lovebugs are nothing. Up here in Illinois, we got cicadas (sih-KAY-duhs). Big-[wagon] flying cockroach things that make noises that sound like a canary with leningitus combined with a screaming bee.

[hide=cicada]CicadaFront740_700.jpg[/hide]

Very creepy in the summer. And they can play dead for a week. Just when you approach one you think is dead it jumps at you :ohnoes:

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they are finishing up around my part... I'll see If I can get a picture of them swarming around midday =).

Ever squished one? horrible smell. And they get on everything. NOt to mention they just up and die while on your door/window/solid surface, their copses collecting there...

And sometimes, they kinda get together, as is more than just two if you know what i mean :shock:

Snowball997.png

Ok... Im not that good. But I have an anchor!!!

Nothing a tennis racquet/fly swatter can't fix ::'

We don't get them in England but we do get Crane Flies towards the end of Summer and into early Autumn which appear everywhere, I had 13 in my kitchen once, that was fun :P

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

Heh, those lovebugs are nothing. Up here in Illinois, we got cicadas (sih-KAY-duhs). Big-[wagon] flying cockroach things that make noises that sound like a canary with leningitus combined with a screaming bee.

Very creepy in the summer. And they can play dead for a week. Just when you approach one you think is dead it jumps at you :ohnoes:

I love cicadas. Nothing like relaxing outside on a summer evening listening to them chirp (if you can call it that) away.

We don't get them in England but we do get Crane Flies towards the end of Summer and into early Autumn which appear everywhere, I had 13 in my kitchen once, that was fun :P

What?? That might work if you have a whole army with fly swatters. And I mean it, those bugs are called lovebugs for a reason.

I love cicadas. Nothing like relaxing outside on a summer evening listening to them chirp (if you can call it that) away.

once my friend caught it by the wings (don't ask how, he was only 10 too) and help it in my face :? I hate cicadas

What?? That might work if you have a whole army with fly swatters. And I mean it, those bugs are called lovebugs for a reason.

They're really that bad? :o I feel lucky that I live in England right now. I'd heard of them, but I thought they were just another insect, but it sounds more like a recurring plague for the people who have to live with them.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

once my friend caught it by the wings (don't ask how, he was only 10 too) and help it in my face :? I hate cicadas

I must +1 to hearing them chirp at dusk, it is very relaxing. And catching bugs reminds me, last week my dad was cooking something and a wasp flew by his head, he turned around and grabbed it with a pair of kitchen tongs, and it was still alive! He handed it to me to go get rid of outside and you could feel the vibration from the wasp buzzing, It was awesome.

cool_sig1.jpg

I've been to Florida once, but I've never seen them.

I do have a story, though. Once I saw two vultures mating on top of my neighbor's house. One of them was displaying much dominance, with all the wing-flapping. My mother told my little sisters to get inside the house. :lol:

I can't believe they were vultures, though.

They're really that bad? :o I feel lucky that I live in England right now. I'd heard of them, but I thought they were just another insect, but it sounds more like a recurring plague for the people who have to live with them.

They seem to have left my house alone for the most part... but yeah like a plague.

I think dad threw away the oil they jumped in. The top is oil, the bottom was...near solid.

Cicdas seem to be a pest too. Let's include them in here :thumbsup:

Snowball997.png

Ok... Im not that good. But I have an anchor!!!

We have neither of them where I live, but I've been camping through parts of the midwest, and the cicadas are absolutely horrible. They'll keep you up all night if you can't get used to em fast.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

What part of Florida?

Central, but those bugs are like everywhere down here. :uhh:

Weird, I live in South Florida, Idk whether or not they're down there. My friend says they don't and a book say's they do?

They only seem to show up around fall on the west coast. Btw what part of south Florida are you from?

What part of Florida?

Central, but those bugs are like everywhere down here. :uhh:

Weird, I live in South Florida, Idk whether or not they're down there. My friend says they don't and a book say's they do?

They only seem to show up around fall on the west coast. Btw what part of south Florida are you from?

Fort Lauderdale

Never seen Lovebugs, and I've always seen Ciadas, but for whatever reason, they weren't around this year.

Just to clarify, are Cicadas those things that leave their shedded shells on trees and outdoor equipment?

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Yeah, those are cicadas. They aren't always around each year because their own a schedule of sorts. Here Wikipedia describes it pretty well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada#Life_cycle

Hmmm, so their like locusts in when they do and don't come out.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

There are a lot of Cicadas where I live, and I'm used to them singing ::' its just too silent in the winter when they aren't around :cry:

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

If there was such a place as Hell and a crack in the ground opened up so that the denizens of Hell could walk the surface of the Earth, I expect a cloud of those red-eyed winged cicadas would be the first thing to fly out.

Did I mention that I hate cicadas? :twisted:

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

^^^

Oh gawd. Hope that you never see a swarm.

Where I live, we have the 17 (or whatever) year ones, where hundreds of thousands/millions of them come out of hibernation at the same time. The constant buzzing drowns out pretty much everything, you literally can't take a step without crushing a few, and if you move a tree, a swarm will take off and fly around for a few seconds. They are freaking annoying. But the dogs love them... <.<

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg

Summer just isn't summer with the droning of cicadas in the background. That isn't sarcasm. I find it really interesting how they can be so loud.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.