Slayer Sucks

compfreak847

You make it sound like slayer is like the worst thing to happen to RS...

Its really not that bad. I do slayer mainly because its just more interesting and fun than just sitting at bandits for hours. Its not the fastest exp or cash in the world, but its a good balance, and at least you don't lose any money.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people say slayer is good for combat training no just for exp, the exp is much slower than simply training on monsters, but slayer can make the training more fun and varied. I used to train my combat stats on gorrila guards at ape atoll, but i found this very boring. Slayer however gives you a variety of things to train on making the task in hand less tedious if you plan to aim for a level.

04churchj.png

the one big argument you left out for slayer is that with slayer helmet/black mask you get +15% added to strength and attack

but I do agree with a lot of the things you said

................................[Currently Have - 1300M].................................

............tedsignature.jpg............

My Beginner's Merchanting Guide - My Youtube Channel - My Twitter

Hmm, i was about to type a reply when i read the last few posts...

You've written this entire rant without trying a black mask? (so without actually using the benefits from slayer to train combat?)

Also you say that slayer tasks is bad xp and bad money... Can i ask you how much money you are trying to make?what expectations do you have in the first place?

Could you also like give a list of tasks you don't like and why? or why you think they're not profitable?

because if i think of typical slayer tasks like abberant spectres, bloodvelds, spiritual mages, horrors... and i'm forgetting a bunch i think, but you can't really say that they're not worth to kill. In my opinion that is.

I don't know what you expect of a skill like slayer? to have it become something like for instance Soul Wars, or Stealing Creation? Even though those are minigames and not skills. For me they seem to make the entire game of runescape alot alot easier and cheaper (IMO even too easy), and it's not what I would like to see slayer becoming.

Slayer to me is a skill like more should follow.

-A challenge, something i think is important in this game. To be challenged to go fight beasties you would normally never fight (sometimes leading to deadly situaties, but that's fun, isn't it?)

-It offers variation in training other skills (combat ofcourse)

-I think this is a skill that gives variation to even the high, high lvls in training.

-It isn't an easy skill, but it doesn't make me say that it 'sucks'...

- Slayer gives profit if you know the way to do it... Exploiting the benefits like the slayer helm, BTP-tabs for easy and cheap food, cannons, summoning, and multicombat slayer dungeons,, can really make slayer into a skill that is 'worth it'

Even though I'm only 71 slayer,I see more fun and profit in it appearantly then you do. Possibly that is because of the slayer mask/helm.

Oh on one last note... What you wrote about ranging and such, about it not giving good xp and not being worth it and such... Why don't you just do your tasks the melee way, or the fastest way, which leaves more time to range zombie monkeys or whatever you want to do?

~Prozac~

EDIT: typo's

siggya.th.png

xprozaccx.png

RIP my main Xprozaccx.

Still Dreaming of Farming Cape

Confucius say: "Crowded elevator smell different to a midget" xD

Have you all completely failed to read even the original post? I was completely joking about the slayer mask thing. If you read through the replys, you would see thousands of pages of detailed notes from testing and observation over tens of thousands of hours from highly respected players. The debate is finished; all the nuances are complete. None of you have read ANY of it; please go back and spend a few weeks reading the replys before making such unintelligent and uninformed responses.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Have you all completely failed to read even the original post? I was completely joking about the slayer mask thing. If you read through the replys, you would see thousands of pages of detailed notes from testing and observation over tens of thousands of hours from highly respected players. The debate is finished; all the nuances are complete. None of you have read ANY of it; please go back and spend a few weeks reading the replys before making such unintelligent and uninformed responses.

Instead of expecting people to wade through 46 pages of replies, why not highlight main points in your original post?

Torlen.png

Instead of expecting people to wade through 46 pages of replies, why not highlight main points in your original post?

He's taken the time to stick with this thread through 46 pages and all the people trying to disprove him despite the fact that he actually tests his methods and you want him to add all of that into a single post for you to skim through?

The least people can do is read through a few pages of posts before thinking they know everything that has been said in this thread.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayl4.png

Quit. PM me if you play The Conduit to exchange friend codes.

Because the vast majority of text in my replys deals with me and Ydraisl's debate; it would be over 2,000 pages and I would need to reserve dozens of posts to fit it all.

Plus, look at the responses I was replying to - Do you really think people who don't believe I'm using a slayer mask are going to take the time to read - or even skim, much of my post is summarized - 20+ hours worth of reading material? They obviously didn't even read the first 5 page post, why would they read the next 1,995?

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

I've looked over some posts and decided I'd put in my say.

Firstly, I would have to agree with you in saying, if you're main goal was to get 99's in all melee stats, slayer isn't the way to go. I would say you get around 55k combat xp/hr doing slayer, and 100k xp/hr killing zombie monkies or armored zombies. In terms of total xp though, you need to factor in all the xp. So thats ~ 95-100k for slayer and 150k for the alternate method per hour. So, if you're only caring about pure total xp or combat stats, its the way to go, I'm not going to make fun or judge you for going that way.

Though, if you plan on getting 99 slayer, either with maxing stats, the total levels, I would suggest you stay away from alternate training methods once you get decent combat stats (decent being 60's 70's about). My reason for this, is your path to 99 slayer will probably get you maxed melee and ranged.

Slayer is one of those skills you either love, or love to hate.

Smobo.png

Got his first skill cape April 7th 2009, at lv 121+12 cb and 2000 total

lul comp u shud of trieed a blak mask but u prolly dunt have 1 becaus they are xpensive for alot of mone, u prolly have no mone becuz u never trian slayre b4.

[hide=]I think you have just won your rant =D>[/hide]

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

Pureprayer, you're awesome.

lul comp u shud of trieed a blak mask but u prolly dunt have 1 becaus they are xpensive for alot of mone, u prolly have no mone becuz u never trian slayre b4.

[hide=]I think you have just won your rant =D>[/hide]

I hate these attempts to be funny.

238 was it? I forgot.

I did read it. I have 50 slayer my self. so I cant say a whole lot. Depending on my tasks I do find slayer a bit fun. Its extremely slow but it does have its rewards. I wouldn't consider getting any combat 99's through it unless your planning to get 99 slayer soon, after the combat 99's.

Not much reward till 82+

kazmahalfsize.png

Slayer.

I could get MORE MONEY, MORE XP and MORE SKILLS using non-slayer methods.

E.G. Use the money to chin, therfore more XP, + armoured zombies is sick XP.

More total lvls + more xp + more $.

Win-win-win?

onyx7890.png

Current goal: Legends, Regicide, Roving Elf's, Barrows RFD, 95+ Attack.

Slayer.

Win-win-win?

Uh..... No. Nice slayer lvl! LOL not....

You can get 1-3 abby whips per non slayer 300 kills of something?

You can get 1-3 dark bows per 600 kills of something?

Keep trying though #-o

Slayer.

Win-win-win?

The profit made from Slayer is better spent on prayer potions and cannonballs that will allow you to slay faster.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Keep trying though #-o

You can get 1-3 abby whips per non slayer 300 kills of something? That's odd, the drop rate of abby demons has always been 1/433. What monster are you killing?

Now, as I was saying, I earn twice as much at avansies as at demons. Perhaps you could demonstrate this magical monster that gets you a whip every 100 kills? :roll:

DeviledEgg24.png

Keep trying though #-o

You can get 1-3 abby whips per non slayer 300 kills of something? That's odd, the drop rate of abby demons has always been 1/433. What monster are you killing?

Now, as I was saying, I earn twice as much at avansies as at demons. Perhaps you could demonstrate this magical monster that gets you a whip every 100 kills? :roll:

While his response is wrong, ...still. Also, if you kill 433 armored zombies, will you make that 1.4m like you would if you just got the average drop rate of whips? 8-)

Dpattle.png[hide=]

You think you got it bad?

My school blocks Neopets.Those dirty bastards try to keep me from feeding my Ixi. Ha!

[/hide]

Important Slayer Drops: masks-8, leafbladed sword, gmaul-3

Important treasure trail rewards: zammy page 1(3), rune kite g, zammy crozier, sara mitre, sara dhide, rune helm h1, guth page 4(2), zammy full helm, guth legs(3), sara chaps, guth page 3, zammy legs(2), and sara full helm, zammy pl8, zammy page 2, rune cane, sara page, sara crozier, zammy crozier, guth coif

Quite frankly, the only use I see for slayer is for those player who like a variety in what they are training on. Indeed, it may not be for everyone but it makes the game more interesting instead of having everyone AFK all the time.

Summary of bottom few paragraphs

maxed character pietying his slayer tasks

92k combat xp/h, 24k summoning xp worth of charms, and 134k profit. Yes, I did say profiting while pietying.

Armoured zombies.

110k combat xp/hour.

take your pick between the two. Read on for all the information on how I got these rates.

Hm.... well isn't this odd..... I've analyzed this same question myself for many weeks. Personally, I wear proselyte and use the piety prayer on the majority of my slayer tasks. The slowest experience task I get would have to be dark beasts, as not only are they single combat, but they have a noticeable defence level. I get 93k attack experience an hour, sometimes varying 1k either way. These numbers are self measured. I do not wish to throw anything off. For argument purposes I will say 90k. My fastest task, mutated bloodvelds, are much better. I do not use a cannon for them, but I consistently manage to get 110k attack experience an hour on top of 30k range experience from my steel titan.

The way my tasks are arranged, I pick up slightly more summoning experience worth of charms than I do in slayer experience. For argument purposes I will mark them as the same.

Pietying, I would mark slayer as having an average of 92k basic combat experience an hour. This is averaging all slow and quick tasks out as well as taking banking time into account.

So, slayer trains at approximately 23k experience per hour while pietying. This is assuming higher leveled task brackets, where the majority of training takes place. It also assumes skipping about 30-35% of tasks that are slow, such as wyverns, certain dragons, etc.

Now, for the drops. I maintained a separate tab for all drops I received from level 98 to 99, approximately 1.23m slayer experience worth of training. Excluding the slayer darts that I cashed in, I sold 13m from drops. Among this, there were 3 whips and 2 dark bows. The drops from slayer work out to approximately 10 gp per experience, at least in the +85 region where the majority of training to 99 takes place.

Now, these drops must have the costs to obtain them subtracted.

(45*15 + 4*75 + 225)/50=24

This represents the average number of points rewarded per task in a 50 task cycle. 24. Skipping 1/3 of tasks, a person keeps approximately 55% of the points that they earn. This equates to 16 points per task kept. 2.2 tasks per 250 casts of slayer dart. 250 casts is approximately 70k in value, so the slayer point bonuses alone cause a person to profit 32k per task. I did not include that in my earlier analysis, but I will add that in there now. From 85 to 99 I completed 312 tasks. 9.8 million divided by 312 = 31.4k slayer experience per task.

As the 23k slayer xp/hour rate has already been chosen, it takes 1.36 hours to finish each task. The slayer points add an additional 24k in profits per hour.

1,230,000 / 23,000 = 53.48

53.48*24000= 1,300,000. I profited 1.3 million from slayer points in that one level

Add this into the drops. 13.3 million earned from a single level.

But wait, I said that I was pietying earlier, didn't I? This is true, and it isn't cheap. This is how the calculations play out. Wearing proselyte, a fire cape, and a fury amulet as my full prayer boosters, I was able to cut usage down to 12 3 dose prayer potions per hour. This is taking into account the home teleport between tasks to charge my prayer, and the time spent in a bank not using any. In pure usage I would use 14 prayer potions in an hour. Increase this average to 15 potions per hour to account for tasks in which I pray on. I also use 3 super set(3)s per hour, redosing each 6 minutes. A super set is 3.7k for a 3 dose set, so an additional 11k. 15 prayer potions at 6.1k each is 91.5k. A person slaying with my method spends 102k per hour to increase their slaying speed.

With 10 gp/xp, 23k xp/h, and the 24k gp/h bonus due to points, 254kgp/hour is the total loot. Subtract 102k/hour as well as 20k/hour for steel titan scrolls, and 134k gp/hour is the total profit while speed slaying.

Now, your numbers vs. mine

110k xp/hour at zombies

92k xp/hour slaying, as well as getting 24k xp/h worth of charms and 134k gp/hour slaying. If you haven't realized it by now, yes, I do profit while pietying. All those rune chains and boots and runes more than pay off.

To clarify further, much of this slaying methodology is self invented. I popularized the chaos tunnel dagannoths among many slayers personally. I also popularized the Zamorak brew as well. I have changed many facets of slayer.

If your single goal is to become maxed in melee, then zombies are your best bet. If you are a higher level character interested in many facets of playing, eg. summoning, combat level, money, etc, then slayer is your best bet. Speed slaying is specifically endorsed by me.

I would say that Computer's numbers are skewed because of his lower slayer level. I have trained slayer with Duradel from a lower level, and I can also attest that he gave many unsavory tasks. However, this brief period of slowness is only a small part of the whole should you continue. 75% of the experience from 1-99 occurs beyond 85.

I will agree with an earlier quote. You either love Slayer, or love to hate it.

Summary of bottom few paragraphs

maxed character pietying his slayer tasks

92k combat xp/h, 24k summoning xp worth of charms, and 134k profit. Yes, I did say profiting while pietying.

Armoured zombies.

110k combat xp/hour. - It's so easy to do I can watch pr0nz on the internet while training. ::'

take your pick between the two. Read on for all the information on how I got these rates.

Armoured zombies, HANDS DOWN.

onyx7890.png

Keep trying though #-o

While his response is wrong, ...still. Also, if you kill 433 armored zombies, will you make that 1.4m like you would if you just got the average drop rate of whips? 8-)

You can kill those Zombies in record time, get amazing xp/blue charms + like 400k, then use the remaining 2hrs to make MORE money.

Failed logic is failed.

onyx7890.png

Another quality post by compfreak. I'm surprised I haven't happened upon this thread before.

What I like about slaying is that it gives access to new equipment and that's probably the best thing about it. So really past level 55, the only incentives to train slayer for me are whips and the fally 3 shield.

Slayer dart runes are also pretty nice I have to admit.

if slayer sucks so bad, there is in fact a very simple solution: don't train it.

seriously though, I doubt many people actualy do Slayer itself for money. Obviously the bonuses it comes with, ability to kill certain monsters with rare and valuable drops, are ok for money.

But lets say that someone like me, who has VERY low skills and high combat (125 f2p cb and 1298 total ( \' or :wall: ?)) finds slayer enjoyable and also quite decent money. An example is that other than slayer i have no reason to want to kill metal dragons, however having killed iron dragons (which i despise more than bronze dragons, due to them being annoying on steel dragon tasks), i received a visage on the 19th kill of the task. Has this not then made me a considerable amount of money in a short time?

However i do realise that that was based on luck, and not everyone is going to get a visage on a task or necesarily ever, but slayer can sometimes be good money.

Although i do agree that the xp/h is crap.

Anyways good topic compfreak

99-7.gif

Most Difficult Quiz

Rare drops; tzhaar-ket-om: 6 tzhaar-xil-ak: 4 tzhaar-xil-ek: 4 tzhaar-mej-tal: 1 Obsidian cape: 18 Dragon Plateskirt: 4 Dragon Platelegs: 7 Sq Shield left half: 1 Dragon Boots: 1 Dragon Medium Helmet: 11 Draconic Visage: 1 Zamorak Spear: 3 Steam Battlestaff: 1 Godsword Shards: 3 Bandos Chestplate: 1 Bandos Tassets: 1 Abyssal Whip: 1

Keep trying though #-o

You can kill those Zombies in record time, get amazing xp/blue charms + like 400k, then use the remaining 2hrs to make MORE money.

Failed logic is failed.

What's this with the whole "do something else and make money." I said if you killed the same amount of zombies. It's not failed logic because its correct, your reply is a fail. :wall:

Dpattle.png[hide=]

You think you got it bad?

My school blocks Neopets.Those dirty bastards try to keep me from feeding my Ixi. Ha!

[/hide]

Important Slayer Drops: masks-8, leafbladed sword, gmaul-3

Important treasure trail rewards: zammy page 1(3), rune kite g, zammy crozier, sara mitre, sara dhide, rune helm h1, guth page 4(2), zammy full helm, guth legs(3), sara chaps, guth page 3, zammy legs(2), and sara full helm, zammy pl8, zammy page 2, rune cane, sara page, sara crozier, zammy crozier, guth coif

What's this with the whole "do something else and make money." I said if you killed the same amount of zombies. It's not failed logic because its correct, your reply is a fail. :wall:

No, it's correct. Time is money. Read up on opportunity cost.

DeviledEgg24.png