a Second Tier Consumption Skill

Morino

A few friends and I were tinkering with the idea of what we called a "second tier consumption skill"

typically production produce a resource, and consumption skills convert it to something else

Ex: Woodcutting(logs) -> Fletching(bows)

a second tier consumption skill would be something that consumed the products of another production skill, such as fletching, crafting, smithing, herblore, etc

Granted, combat is arguably a second tier consumption skill, and there are some instances of second tier consumtion such as:

smithing(iron platebody) -> summoning(Iron titan)

However I wish to specifically discuss the potential of a new skill devoted entirely to second tier consumption

After some brainstorming, the idea of "engineering" fit the second tier consumption skill idea the best, but it is by no means the only possibility

(feel free to scream sailing, I am just personally averse to the idea of sailing as a skill)

ex: Smithing(steel gears/cogs/cams/etc) -> engineering(some newfangled device)

before i move on:

this is NOT a discussion about how engineering/sailing can be implemented, so please stay off that topic

this is a discussion about how any form of second tier consumption would affect RS, whether or not it is likely, beneficial, etc

Arguably a second tier skill would be extremely expensive, available only to the wealthiest runescape gamers, likely getting much flame from poorer members of RS.

On the other hand, this would make production skills even more profitable, and first tier consumption skills cheaper

This would actually make training skills OTHER than the second tier skill easier for the poorer members of runescape

203rd to 99 farming

Morionic_guy-Kaldra_Champ.gif

might solve the fact that every consumption skill besides rc and fletching lose money, which would drive products up higher, which would just stay there. Then others would produce materials because prices are high, etc etc. Worst case scenario, everything crashes.

I'd love it.

instead of engineering why not inventing, to broaden the things you can make not only metal things but also thing with potions, bows & arrows and maybe even runes?

use metal bars to make a cauldron that can stand anywhere(like a fire, but longer) and hold 15 potion doses? and a ballista (Roman arrow firing catapult) using fletching supplies. and of course a cog and wheels based robot \' that picks up drops? fights? copies your behaviour (like training skills)? or just for fun(pet)?

rida81.png

Rida81.png

became quest point master on: 21 dec 2007 2:43 pm

Smithing already is a second tier:

Mining -> Smithing.

read the OP again

I am all for the idea of a new skill entirely devoted to second tier consumption :thumbup:

Mining -> Smithing into Bars -> Smithing into armour. He's actually right (although by the looks of it, by accident,) smithing is in THAT sence, second tier, but only two different skills are involved and I think the author is thinking about the third section being used by a different skill.

If Jagex did actually bring out an entirely second tier skill, they would have to be extremely careful about what products are used for it. It would affect the evonomy hugely, and for the first month or so things related to it would be sky-rocketing. In my opinion, Construction is already the ultimate money-draining skill, because after you get a portal room and a decent alter, it's impractical to train for anything other that having a big house that only people you invite there can see.

Steel bars are already used a lot, so they'd probably have to either bring out new types of tree or metal bars or something, because otherwise it would make smithing very expensive.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

We already have one, besides combat, Magic (High Alchemy). We even have a third tier skill: Construction!

Woodcutting -> Fletching -> Magic (High Alchemy) -> Construction

If there is a need for another activity which destroys the products of another skill, it should just go into already existing ones, such as Summoning or Construction. Otherwise, it usually boils down to alchemy or PvP combat.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

We already have one, besides combat, Magic (High Alchemy). We even have a third tier skill: Construction!

If there is a need for another activity which destroys the products of another skill, it should just go into already existing ones, such as Summoning or Construction. Otherwise, it usually boils down to alchemy or PvP combat.

But alching is not really tied to fletching, it's just many people CHOOSE to alch fletched products. They don't HAVE to. You can alch anything, so what you alch can be straight from a monster, or just picked from a spawn, making it a sketchy (at best) first tier conversion skill.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

Construction is not third tier. Money brings it straight back to the start again. Otherwise you could say:

Woodcutting ->Killing chickens -> Mining -> smithing -> Fletching (making bolts and crossbows) -> Melee (killing dragons -> crafting (dhide) -> killing aviansies -> money -> Construction. Crazy right?

Construction is at very most: Woodcutting (then making into planks - not a skill) -> Construction.

or: Mining (limestone) -> Construction.

And high alchemy isn't second tier because it makes it right back into cold hard cash too.

(I could do another really long example of getting things to alch then alching them, but I hope you get the idea by now.)

tifsiggy.jpg

thanks for the input guys, I am aware that there are instances of second tier consumption, arguably Nth tier consumption

However never do skills require you to consume items on second tier consumption as a sole method of training

And to ultigamer, invention is a great title for such a skill

203rd to 99 farming

Morionic_guy-Kaldra_Champ.gif

While looking on a "what skill would you add to RS" thread on Questionnaires I thought of invention, but surely that would imply that you were inventing whatever you wanted to? Although it is similar to construction in nature, something like manufacture or engineering would surely be better?

tifsiggy.jpg

While looking on a "what skill would you add to RS" thread on Questionnaires I thought of invention, but surely that would imply that you were inventing whatever you wanted to? Although it is similar to construction in nature, something like manufacture or engineering would surely be better?

I once read that Jagex were planning to impliment an enginerring type skill into Runescape, this would indeed make sense as Smithing is somewhat neglected these days.

It would probably be yet another oppertunity for Jagex to being new armor and weapons into the game too ;) :roll:

I like the idea of an engineering sort of skill, a second tier consuption skill. Invention is a sketchy name for a skill though because you're not really inventing something, it would have to be programmed into the game first ect and there'd only be so many things you could 'invent' and everybody would be inventing them. I like the idea of engineering or manufacturing better really :thumbsup:

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

This is a good idea. Plus, make the created items, for the most part, consumables. Another idea for a skill might be reinforcing- using bars to reinforce armor for a limited period of time. Some could be [bleep]es. Some could just be extra armor. Of course, that would probably be under Smithing's jurisdiction...

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

tbh we already have em.

Mining = production. it produces ess

rc = consumption. it consumes ess and produces runes

magic therefore = 2nd tier consumption. it consumes the runes produced by rc

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

• 3 weeks later...

Magic, melee and ranging all are 2nd tier consumption skills because they all consume manufactured items and none consume raw materials. And they are the 3 types of combat skills.

The first thing to think about would be if the new skill would be combat related or not. I would assume that it is, but what new form of combat could we possibly introduce and not mess with the combat triangle as it is? Maybe some skill that could enhance the abilities of the other combat types? Like enchanting of technology or reinforcement to upgrade your mage, ranger and fighter gear respectively? Why not add to existing skills rather than make a new one?

All skills in runescape ultimately lead to combat as the end result. Except construction maybe, although we can argue that it makes it easier to train other skills that facilitate combat. So if not a combat skill, then what?

I like engineering. But it would still have to be tied back to combat, like it can allow you to make better armor and weapons, or create better tools for skill training. I'd love to be able to make my own furnace, anvil, compound harvester, dynamite for blasting ore out of rocks, chainsaws, etc. Lol

Other than that (and its not really a consumption skill) I'd love to see a team-based skill, where you get exp for participating in team-based minigames, clan wars, and other group activities. I would imagine it would be something like slayer, where you would have to do some assigned group activity, and based on how well your team did, you'd get bonus exp. Your rewards would be things like the ability to get monsters to not attack you, fight for you and even do tasks and carry items for you. It would be called charisma.

Are you a member with a full bank and cancelling your subscription? Are you an F2P player that wants more bank space? Check out my guide on Going to F2P with a full bank

Ive been thinking about making second tier skills more usefull aswell, and figured there might be a way of (with some skills) let the seocnd tier consumption be part of the second tier skill itself.

With the best example being: Smelting metal items back into bars (not the same amount as you started with on average, but close). Something like this would stop smithers from buying tons of bars, then turning them into worthless junk noone will ever need, just to get xp. This might really hurt mining though if the balance is off (especially if people start smelting monster drops into bars aswell).

Magic, melee and ranging all are 2nd tier consumption skills because they all consume manufactured items and none consume raw materials. And they are the 3 types of combat skills.

The first thing to think about would be if the new skill would be combat related or not. I would assume that it is, but what new form of combat could we possibly introduce and not mess with the combat triangle as it is? Maybe some skill that could enhance the abilities of the other combat types? Like enchanting of technology or reinforcement to upgrade your mage, ranger and fighter gear respectively? Why not add to existing skills rather than make a new one?

All skills in runescape ultimately lead to combat as the end result. Except construction maybe, although we can argue that it makes it easier to train other skills that facilitate combat. So if not a combat skill, then what?

I like engineering. But it would still have to be tied back to combat, like it can allow you to make better armor and weapons, or create better tools for skill training. I'd love to be able to make my own furnace, anvil, compound harvester, dynamite for blasting ore out of rocks, chainsaws, etc. Lol

Other than that (and its not really a consumption skill) I'd love to see a team-based skill, where you get exp for participating in team-based minigames, clan wars, and other group activities. I would imagine it would be something like slayer, where you would have to do some assigned group activity, and based on how well your team did, you'd get bonus exp. Your rewards would be things like the ability to get monsters to not attack you, fight for you and even do tasks and carry items for you. It would be called charisma.

Thieving and firemaking cant be tied into combat ::' And one could argue that you cant tie agility into it either. And besides chincompas, hunter doesnt do much either.

So yeh its possible.

Ever thought about the products of the second tier skill?

To train it into the higher levels you'll end up with 1000's of something thus releasing a new kind of junk that replaces the old.

For example:

Take 1000 Steel platebodies + 1000 Maple longbows(both finished products)

Your new skill makes them into wearable houses for your pet...

Now to train the new skill you're going to make 1000 houses for your pet.

I'd rather like the summoning thing. 70% of the pouches converts back to shards. From raw materials to finished to raws again with a loss...