1 life for 5?

Shlaymoed

Read this somewhere, and don't remember it word for word, but here goes.

There are 6 people tied to a train track, 5 on one track, and 1 on the other. Right now the train is headed towards the 5 people, and you have the switch to make it change tracks and head towards the other person.

There are 5 dying people in a hospital room, and 1 perfectly healthy person is there. Do you take the healthy persons organs (also making them die) and give them to the 5 dying people so they can live, or not?

What would you do?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Save the 5 people. Letting 1 live and 5 die is kinda wrong.

League of Legends Referal link: http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4e55a571778d2633364408

"Life is short, and shortly it will end, Death comes quickly which respects no one, Death destroys everything and takes pity on no one"

Drops: 8whips, 28dboots, 1hand cannon, 2 dmeds 3dskirts 2 dbows

99s(in order): Attack Constitution Defence

Umm.. it would be quite convenient if 5 people's bodies accepted the organs from that one person without attempting to reject them. Personally, I'd let the healthy guy live.. but why is he in a hospital if he is healthy? Is he visiting? If so, maybe he cares enough for these people to offer his organs to them and save the 5? I'm just trying to make this complicated. :lol:

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

I would like to think that I'd switch the train, but depending on who was in the 1 or 5, I might be swayed one way.

As to the hospital scenario, I would let the 1 person live, but I don't exactly agree with organ transplants and stuff like that anyway. Playing God isn't for humans.

Pull the lever so the track half-switches, and the train de-rails. Saves everyone except the hundred or so people in the train.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

What's better, one person living with the guilt that five people died so they could be saved, or five people living with the guilt that one person died so they could be saved? Anyways with the hospital one, if they were all dieing anyways you might as well keep the healthy person.

Tbfgraphx14

Happy to find I'm not the only one who eats glass.

It would be a sin to kill the one innocent person for the sake of the five. Not killing them would not be a sin.

Mathematically it makes sense, but morally it does not. I would say no.

Now, when choosing between killing one and five, where you actively engage in the act of killing in both cases, the choice of killing the one would be morally less sinful than killing the five in essentially all cases. Either way it's [bleep]ed up though.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Kill few to save many.

And how are organ transplants a way of cheating God?

I actually think it's more a way of cheating Death. If someones kidneys had failed (through no fault of their own, purely a genetic disorder) and they received a donated kidney and survive, they're living on borrowed time. They basically gave Death the finger and a nice, big '[bleep] you.' They shouldn't be alive, the only reason they are is because surgeons stepped in and removed their future cause of death.

I don't know if that came across quite the way I wanted it to; it's kind of hard to explain.

Kill few to save many.

And how are organ transplants a way of cheating God?

I actually think it's more a way of cheating Death. If someones kidneys had failed (through no fault of their own, purely a genetic disorder) and they received a donated kidney and survive, they're living on borrowed time. They basically gave Death the finger and a nice, big '[bleep] you.' They shouldn't be alive, the only reason they are is because surgeons stepped in and removed their future cause of death.

I don't know if that came across quite the way I wanted it to; it's kind of hard to explain.

What if it was their time to die after the donated kidney? Bad example though, you can live without two kidneys, you'd just have to go for dialysis 3 times a week in order to have your blood filtered.

This is where the debate of destiny v.s. choice comes in and both have reasonable arguments, but I really can't see which is the right one

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

If the one healthy person is a psychotic murderer, I think I would kill him/her over the 5.

By making him eat glass, by any chance?

To rebdragon: It IS a terrible choice to make, but it just seems reasonable to kill one and save five.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Pull the lever so the track half-switches, and the train de-rails. Saves everyone except the hundred or so people in the train.

We think similarly. I'm scared.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I would walk away. Sure, there would be that good thought of "I saved some lives" but I think the bad thought of "My actions have caused someone else to die" would counter that.

I mean, what if I saved those people but the person I ended up killing would have done something in his life that saved even more people than I did? I'd just let fate deal with it.

I'd kill them all. Somehow.

It depends on who they are. If the one person is really important, to me or to the world, then I don't think there would be any doubt in my mind to save him/her. However, if you gave me the choice of five important people or one important person...I'd kill myself. There.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

Who am I to say who is more important then the other?

I would sit to get to know them better before pulling the switch thing

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

Sure, sacrifice one for five, as long as that person who is being sacrificed isn't me.

From another point of view, we have too many people already so letting a few die of "unpreventable natural causes" will help depopulate earth. Again, as long as the person who's dying isn't me.

Personally, I would save the one as it is both unethical and illegal to kill a person to save others in the scenario presented. Also, there are too many variables. For instance, who is this person, he/she would most likely have friends, family, a spouse, kids. There is also the chance that this one person discovered the cure to a form of cancer or aids and is the only one who knows how. Also, there is no guarantee that the 5 would live due to issues with blood type, age, sex, etc.

wailord.png

If you choose your beliefs/lifestyle simply based on what your parents want, then you are a weak minded individual and are not even worthy of calling yourself a person.