Is the future bright?

Earpy

RuneScape has been around for a while now, and ever since it's realse it hasn't really stopped improving (apart from a few debatable updates, but lets leave that for a whole different discussion. :ohnoes: ) But can it last? Sure, people are quitting the game all the time, and new players are joining to replace them, but will this balance continue? Essentially, this discussion is about RuneScape (and for that matter, Jagex) in the not so distant future. Where do you see RuneScape (and Jagex) in 1, 5 and 10 years from now?

Personally, I can see Jagex releasing many games and expanding on their success with RuneScape. We all know MechScape is on the way, but I don't think they'll stop there. They will keep releasing more and more games on the scale of RuneScape (aswell as expanding on FunOrb!) and be known worldwide as one of them best gaming companies in the world (Are they this yet?) As for RuneScape, I can't see it lasting too much longer. Eventaully, the balance of people quitting to people starting will become uneven, the population will decline and the game will eventaully die out.

Let me know your views and thoughts.

There are too many young players and dedicated fans of Runescape to let it die out. I can see Andrew Gower retiring and leaving the company in someone elses hands maybe, but not anytime soon. In my opinion if Runescape stopped there would be riots at Jagex headquarters. Too many people addicted to a drug that they would no longer have would be hell...

Videogames are the opiate of the younger generation.

1288581197250-1.jpg

over 7 years and still going strong... I'd say it has a good chance of going a lot longer.

I wonder if I'll still be playing in 10 years.... :ohnoes:

this-is-why-im-hot-super-mario-bros-fire-flower-funny-video-game-t-shirt-snorgtees.gif

GT: JRD is AvT

YT: hatethegamer

Youtube has nothing on it atm, but getting HD PVR within a month, so watch this space.

I can see Runescape advancing more and more in the years to come...

We have all seen how similar it has become to WoW (World of Warcraft)... Runescape is now in HD and has its own Worldwide market where people can sell items from W154 to W1...

If Jagex can come up with stuff like this, what makes you think that we won't see some even more interesting updates in the future? I personally think they are well on their way to a very profitable future.

~C4L

pat_fritza.png

lichking.png

Next year I see runescape tv adverts.

To think we used to be all by word of mouth. :roll:

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

i keep seeing a consistent flow of old "quitters" that everyone i talk to.. they progressively get on more and more.. then quit later... and repeat.. idk about tv adverts.. maybe when the games 10+$ a month and all fullscreen with WASD walking ( :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ) buuuut idk bout now...

Sp1nn3y.png

wa5t3dy0u7h.jpeg

1057394893crochrofl.PNG

World 46 Regular

You're quite negative, I think. RS won't die out anytime soon, way too many people play it and new, young players keep joining all the time. If RS will die out it will be because of that the internet crashes or that it gets replaced with something much better in the future. RS is played by way too many who can't even think about quitting for it to die out like you describe in your post.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Is the future bright?

No, it's Orange.

lol you beat me to it.

I personaly think that runescape will have alot more interessting changes and updates which will make the game even better, because they are listening to what people want and they are giving it to us.

Personaly id like to see more advertising for the game, i never meer anyone that plays runescape yet i meet wow players all the time. It would be nice to know people IRL that share the same interest as me and we can hang together and do some pvp or GWD.

69er_is_best.png

GWD solo drops: Armadyl Hilt sold at 63.5m - (More to come hopefully)

I belive the future of runescape is going to look alot like world of warcraft lol idk just noticed the things that are the same like the Grand Exchange and Auction House Clans, Guilds etc. g2g

You couldn't be more wrong. Runescape is more skill based than WoW, and pvp in WoW is much more developed and less dangerous. Also, WoW encourages people to max out their stats, while Runescape is more aimed at the mid leveled people. In fact, WoW becomes more fun when you are maxed out, while with Runescape, there is little to do. Construction, GWD, and Metal Dragons added some content for late levels, however, the two games are distinctly different and will not become alike in the near, if ever, future.

I has herd, that lesser demons, MAY or may not, drop tormented demons. \:D/ :roll: :x :D :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol:

Due to a typo, I am now stuck with 1k dragon darts and no buyer. Can I has bail out from tip.it plox?

I belive the future of runescape is going to look alot like world of warcraft lol idk just noticed the things that are the same like the Grand Exchange and Auction House Clans, Guilds etc. g2g

You couldn't be more wrong. Runescape is more skill based than WoW, and pvp in WoW is much more developed and less dangerous. Also, WoW encourages people to max out their stats, while Runescape is more aimed at the mid leveled people. In fact, WoW becomes more fun when you are maxed out, while with Runescape, there is little to do. Construction, GWD, and Metal Dragons added some content for late levels, however, the two games are distinctly different and will not become alike in the near, if ever, future.

>Metal Dragons

>late levels

hardly :| i saw a lvl 60 there the other day and he was doing fine

He's saying exactly what I was saying, that Runescape is slowly, but surely, becoming more and more like WoW everyday. From the Grand exchange (Auction House) to the new HD look on Runescape. Gwd is mildly similar to the WoW instances and the diversity of characters in WoW ties in with the diverse skills of Runescape. It may not be identical, but the feeling is there.

All Runescape needs is a type of "Guild" program and possibly WSAD movement (WSAD in my opinion would be completely unnecessary and pointless.)

pat_fritza.png

lichking.png

I don't see the SYSTEM RuneScape is built on changing over the years, and really, it doesn't need to. When you compare most internet games to RuneScape, you can see that when it comes to simplicity and player-player interaction (specially chat), RS pwns in all but guild/clan systems.

As for JaGeX, I don't see them becoming a bigger company. Possibly if they hadn't turned corporate on us. They won't be making any really good games for a while simply because they don't ask the market's opinions any more. Newer players would be put off by all the strict rules and general unfriendliness - unless they find good friends, which is relatively hard to do when EVERYONE is a newb, I can't see as many people playing new games by JaGeX as there are Scapers.

Sorry to spoil the business-like mood of the post but w000000000t 100th post :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: \' \' \'

yeah. great. :|

MR. OCTOPUS BEARD DISAGREES!

30259it.jpgNo, THAT's what she said.

Wanna know how to keep an idiot busy? Read below.

Wanna know how to keep an idiot busy? Read above.

[hide=OMG DRAGON KITESHIELD IN-GAME!!!!]rickrollad5.png

Never gonna give you up...[/hide]

I cant use a chair, evidence that Lucien's men are sitting on them.

i keep seeing a consistent flow of old "quitters" that everyone i talk to.. they progressively get on more and more.. then quit later... and repeat.. idk about tv adverts.. maybe when the games 10+$ a month and all fullscreen with WASD walking ( :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ) buuuut idk bout now...

Why do people want WASD walking? I see no benefits

Join Future Update News! The longest running update speculation thread on the RSOF, currently on its 24 Edition

QFC 16-17-671-59680498

314v28z.jpg

Thanks to Killerwat for the sig!

I think Runescape is about done with updating. Ever since the beginning of RS, I pictured Dragon Kite and Dragon Platebody to be the final additions to the game and they already released the platebody. Also, the fact that people are reaching 99's in mass flocks is rather overwhelming. It feels like so many people have "beaten" the game already.

As for Jagex, Mechscape will probably be their next main focus. Funorb will just be another site which they'll update every few days, but for the most part, I see Jagex slowly merging into Mechscape and leaving Runescape un-updated.

But that's just one person's opinion and I have been wrong in the past :P

Maybe the Grandmaster quest is the end for quests? After all, it does have a 270 qp requirement. I can't imagine making a quest to follow that. #-o

brighter than shiny metalic fire

what takes the proverbial non-lying cake is jagex's willingness to change things. People were up in arms around stealing creation. Jagex will fix it based on what people want, and even make it better. People begged for high level epic content. We got 2 this season, a huge quests and a 2000 hp beast. Each week, little changes happen to the world, either to increase it or improve it.

this is runescape. this is evoloution to the public's demands. this is a marketers dream come true, a solid market based system that gives inviting, engrosing, and enjoyable gameplay, mixed with the sociability of messengers, a grand world where people and meet people, young and old, male or female, good or bad.

and the best part of it all. It's free. if you like the game, you can pay 5$ a month, and you get more. but you get quite possiably the largest demo ever made in f2p, a huge introduction that laughs in the face of other systems like world of warcrafts 10 day limited trial. it give you time to get usted to the game, make friends, join a community.

and before you know it, you're hooked. and that's a good thing. what better world to play in than a world that constantly evolves to make you happy?

It is not the great who are strong, but the strong who are great--Albel Nox

There are too many young players and dedicated fans of Runescape to let it die out. I can see Andrew Gower retiring and leaving the company in someone elses hands maybe, but not anytime soon. In my opinion if Runescape stopped there would be riots at Jagex headquarters. Too many people addicted to a drug that they would no longer have would be hell...

Tbh 99; you're thinking just like me lol.

35hedkh.jpg

Yes, for it will feature Runescape with the power of BLOOM!

Bloom owns new quests, items, areas, monsters and minigames COMBINED! BLOOM IS THE WAY OF THE FUTURE! REPENT, SINNERS, OR BE GLOWNED!

*cough*

And now for something completely different.

Valten_1.png

What? That's a terrible use of Marx's saying.

I'm pretty sure Jagex just said somewhere that they have a growth rate of 33% per year or something, which is huge even for a small-medium sized company. Many of the things they do seem to be long term - just like with the recent quest for example. It requires all the quest points to date, yet it has requirements for individual quests as well. This signifies them preparing dozens of new quests in the future so players can get 270 quest points without having to do "all the quests", but at a much later date. They released the graphical update a few months back, which probably required a lot of time and energy, and they're probably already working on the next one. Before that they took a short term hit in order to deter RWT, for the good of the game in the future. Five years from now, who will remember all the lame stuff that happened when they first tried to get rid of RWT? No one, and the game will be improved to a point that no one will care about that stuff anyway.