Skill Capes vs. Quest Skill Cape

doomwish11

Even if 99 in a particular skill is harder to attain than all quests completed, I'd probably still wear the quest cape.

It shows that I've been using my time on RS going around exploring, doing stuff, and getting the most out of the game content.

instead of spending hours upon hours at one place doing the same thing over and over again.

"Wow, cool, that guy has 99 in . I -could- try for another 99... but, hey, I could be doing something more fun like chatting with my friends or checking out that new quest/feature. The rewards might suck, but who cares, it'll be more fun than burning all those darn logs, or spending hours watching my character hit things."

That said, I don't usually wear either my capes, and I don't want to waste time getting another one.

But, hey, if that's your kind of thing, go for it. 8-)

Really? I wear my quest cape because it matches my Armadyl. But I guess that's just me. :lol:

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say the quest cape is more impressive. The amount of levels for a quest cape surpassed a level 99 skill i think. Also, anybody can train a skill to 99 with some patience or stupidity. It is a bit harder to do all the quests, even with guides. Also, when you have the skill cape, that's it. Its done. Nothing more to do but get another one or get 200mil exp. However, with quests, the requirement will keep rising. I have a feeling the next grandmaster quest will be quite difficult to finish as well, thus making it harder to get the quest cape.

Snowball997.png

Ok... Im not that good. But I have an anchor!!!

Really depends on the skill, however.

For example, I find a quest point cape to be more impressive, than a skill like firemaking, a cheap skill to raise that simply shows you have the wrist to click on a few hundred thousand logs.

The capes I really respect are:

Slayer

Summoning

Farming

Hunter

Agility

Prayer

Until the release of While Guthix Sleeps, however, the quest cape was pretty low on my list of respectable capes. But now that that ridiculously hard quest has been released, I proudly display my Quest Point cape at all times!

Icantcmyeye.png

Icantcmyeye.png

Quest cape too many people under estimate This cape people will shrug it off saying Wow u have to do all the quest how hard can that be When in fact its harder to keep one due to the all the new quest coming up How would u like it if they added a new lvl everytime they released a new item for your 99 skill nuff said

Quest cape owns :thumbsup:

Kingmickez25.png

Very tough question! So many variables can affect an accurate answer like what skill cape is being compared to quest cape? If it is Prayer, Slayer, or Farming it changes because any of those are slightly better then quest point cape if you have enough skill to do things other than to use just those skills. Hunter, Hitpoints, and Runecrafting are close in usefulness. Construction is like Prayer as it is a skill that you need millions of gp to advance to level 99 in, but it has hardly any use besides the chapel to help raising and restoring prayer and the portal rooms. All others are in random order of usefulness and difficulty to get depending on who you ask or how you reach level 99. Overall Quest point cape is more complex, difficult, and usefulness to obtain and retain for most obvious reasons! I have Quest point cape BTW!...

[hide=]Noob123:"Fear my leet skills!" Sauromon222:"Go to hell noob." "Oh! BTW fear my leet skills!"

*Smites Noob123 and electrifies him!* "Fried noob meat. Yum!!!"[/hide]

Sauromon222.png

sauromon222.png

Proud Completer of WGS!

it depends on the cape

things where you do something to some rescource (fletching, fm, herblore) are not at all as good as quest cape

skills like mining, wc, agility, slayer, hunter, where you are gathering the rescource (not with agi and slayer, but you cant 'buy' those capes) i would classify higher than the otehrs

Quest skill cape describes the another powers of the player,There is no limitations for the quests.

In my opinion,There are three levels to describe what the player has!

Level 1:Starter,nothing described with since they are only some fresh food sack!

Level 2:Skill,Controlling some resources,able to use some useful tools like Infermo adze,or lower the chance of being killed !Level 99 of one skill can control the most,or reducing the chance of getting killed to the least.

Level 3:Quests,Accessing some areas,making money faster than only use skills.

I think I am in the Level3,I only believe if I had done all quests,I was one of the rich.(How about pyre business?)

chuheichuhei.gif

I've done it - added up all the requirments of the quest with the xp and found the total :s

Agility 60 (273,742)

Attack 15 (2,411

Combat 85

Construction 50 (101,333)

Cooking 70 (737,627)

Crafting 66 (496,254)

Defence 65 (449,428)

Farming 65 (449,428)

Firemaking 55 (166,636)

Fishing 62 (333,804)

Fletching 53 (136,594)

Herblore 65 (449,428)

Hunter 55 (166,636)

Magic 75 1,210,421)

Mining 60 (273,742)

Prayer 55 (166,636)

Ranged 60 (273,742)

Runecrafting 50 (101,333)

Slayer 59 (247,886)

Smithing 69 (668,051)

Strength 60 (273,742)

Summoning 23 (6,291)

Theiving 63 (368,599)

Woodcutting 72 (899,257)

Total: 6,815,329

(Give or take a bit, I was tired and this too about 15 minutes :()

So just by getting the requirements your half way to a 99, I think that after doing all the quests plus getting the items you have DEFINATELY earned an achievement cape.

Are those the Correct Lvls :o

Yes, but please remember that you require a combat level of 85 for two quests and therefore require higher attack, hp strength etc

Really depends on the skill, however.

For example, I find a quest point cape to be more impressive, than a skill like firemaking, a cheap skill to raise that simply shows you have the wrist to click on a few hundred thousand logs.

The capes I really respect are:

Slayer

Summoning

Farming

Hunter

Agility

Prayer

Until the release of While Guthix Sleeps, however, the quest cape was pretty low on my list of respectable capes. But now that that ridiculously hard quest has been released, I proudly display my Quest Point cape at all times!

Agility is more clicks than firemaking and requires no money, does that therefore make it worse than the firemaking cape? (Other than time of course)

Consider for just a moment:

What's actually in the name?

SKILL cape? Forgive me if you disagree with this, but nothing in runescape that's related to skilling actually requires any genuine skill. Unless of course you take the coincidental xp gained doing boss fights or pvp etc. All that is in fact required for a 99 skill is either a) money (this can in fact aid virtually every skill depending on how the wealth is used) and/or B) commitment. Sure, a 99 skill cape shows you've put in a lot of time and effort, but you don't need to exhibition any skill at all in grinding out the levels. I can sit on a pier fishing all day, go slaying in chaos tunnels, craft dragonhide bodies and alch etc all day, but I don't LEARN anything or show any SKILL in doing any of those. It is not the concept of a SKILLcape that people should admire, but perhaps the fact that people have such a drive to achieve the magical 99.

Quest capes on the other hand are a mixed bag. If you do only follow quest guides (as many quest capers no doubt have) then no, it doesn't really say anything special about you. That said, if you worked through the majority without quest guides (I didn't even know about fan sites and quest guides for the first year or so that I played!) then you will usually master an area of the game (even if it is only the history of the game), which a basic skiller will have no idea of. That surely is a more admirable quality?

As a closing point, it is my experience (and i mean MY experience, yours could well be entirely the opposite) that the majority of quest capers know far more about the game and have thereby achieved more than just wasting countless hours grinding to a 99. Often they will pay closer attention to detail and have tips for levelling skills efficiently (both in time and costs) which pure skillers may not have. For example, how many skillers or indeed general players bothered to work out that a leaf-bladed sword has a higher stab rating than a d long and is therefore theoretically the most accurate melee weapon against dragons? - dragons being weak to stab attacks. (I won't claim that for myself, but extend my thanks to a good friend J_R_Kerr, a fellow quest caper :-P )

Well, depends on the skill, I'd rather have a quest cape than fletching/cooking cape, but, if it is something like slayer, hitpoints, ranged, I'd rather have those as they can take much longer than quest cape to get, I talk by experience, my first cape was quest, then hitpoints came

to waheera1:

When you say slay in the chaos tunnels, you do know you don't get slayer XP for that right? You only get slayer XP for the monsters you get asked to kill, you obviously you would learn how to kill some special monster on the way to 99, I agree with the other skills though.

Not like you can grind slayer :/

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

Quest cape too many people under estimate This cape people will shrug it off saying Wow u have to do all the quest how hard can that be When in fact its harder to keep one due to the all the new quest coming up How would u like it if they added a new lvl everytime they released a new item for your 99 skill nuff said

sorry, not nuff said :roll:

if they added a new lvl every time they released a new item for a 99 cape, it would be more experience which as people with 99 skills know, is not very easy. Since its a few mill exp from 98-99 it would just get harder and harder. Quests however, are not the same. Say you have the quest cape, that doesnt necessarily mean that the next quest will be hard. It could be a very easy quest so sometimes it is easy to maintain but what you said about skills doesnt make sense. It will ONLY get harder with the skills if that happened.... Quests can be easy or hard.

nuff said :roll:

P.S skill capes ftw

I would be much more impressed by one who has earned a Quest cape compared with one who has acquired a skill cape. It indicates to me that the wearer has exercised some brain power, has applied logic, has practiced many of the game's skill catagories, and has likely learned a great deal of the workings and environment of the game. I know a number of 99-cape wearers who couldn't find a specific location or NPC on the world map if you gave them a compass or haven't a clue of how to make their own replacement of a games necklace. I have seen many instances where one's "skill" cape was nothing more than a virtual "money-cape". I don't accept that a 99-cape displays any "mastery" of the skill; it takes no more skill to go from lvl 95 to 96 than it does to go from lvl 10 to 11, just more time. Questing requires one to earn abilities within the game and to learn locations and procedures to complete the necessary steps of the quests. One won't earn a quest cape merely by doing the same mouse clicks day-in-and-day-out, or by spending their time chatting with or impressing their "friends".

Some skill capes show things indirectly, like the construction cape shows that you have TONS of money. The Quest cape can, however, show that you have some brains (There are quite difficult quests!). However, there are quest guides *coughtipitcough*. I personally think a difficult skillcape like construction, slayer or farming (Watching paint dry omg!) deserves more respect than questcape.

Anyone who thinks farming is as boring as watching paint dry, isn't doing it right.

Suzanne Vega

grammar2gr8dx.png

tokin rite wurx gud!

neither are very impressive, really... anyone can quest as long as they can follow a quest guide. and skilling just involves mindless clicking for the most part, which is more patience, focus and time, rather than any sort of real-life talent. still, i have quest cape and work towards certain skillcapes.... :roll:

You don't consider patience and focus to be real life talent?

:mrgreen:

Suzanne Vega

grammar2gr8dx.png

tokin rite wurx gud!

Some skill capes show things indirectly, like the construction cape shows that you have TONS of money. The Quest cape can, however, show that you have some brains (There are quite difficult quests!). However, there are quest guides *coughtipitcough*. I personally think a difficult skillcape like construction, slayer or farming (Watching paint dry omg!) deserves more respect than questcape.

Anyone who thinks farming is as boring as watching paint dry, isn't doing it right.

Lol, don't you love having to do herb runs? You're right, farming isn't boring, it just takes some dedication and the right mindset.

By the way; for all of you that say skills are repetitive... Thieving is just repetitive clicks? Have you ever done Pyramid Plunder for 4 hours straight on a PvP world??? Have you ever tried getting 1K Summer Sq'irk Juices??? That maze takes a lot of thought before you know the most effective path. It took me roughly 120 Autumn fruits before I could get it in ~30 seconds. It took a hell of a lot of time before I figured out how to 1 shot the winter. And I still haven't mastered room 5 and 6 of Pyramid Plunder. How about the Smithing skill? Prices change a lot and to stay cost effective you have to constantly change.

Zunee27.png

Zunee27.png

I wanted an achievement cape.

I'm not particularly rich and i dislike lots of clicking.

I got a quest cape.

And I'm so glad of it. I didn't use guides because I was injured and knew i had a very long time to get the cape - MEP2 is an exception, i gave up after 5 hours and looked up a guide (it was still hard!)

Also, i have to work to keep my quest cape on my back.

But the point is, i enjoy doing that work! I wanted a firemaking cape a while back because i just wanted a 99... it wasn't fun. And now I'm back on my feet I don't have the time to dedicate to a "better" 99.

So i say who really cares? Wear your favourite cape, whether it be a skill cape, quest cape or the Tip.It cape, and be proud.

screenshot041aoj0.jpg

for construction all it shows is you have tons of money. same with summoning. It doesnt show your awesomeness really. Quests you show you have been awesome at every quest you did

And having over 100m gp isn't awesome? Earning that much money isn't a feat to be proud of? You have be pretty darn determined and patient to make that much gp.

Construction is like Prayer as it is a skill that you need millions of gp to advance to level 99 in, but it has hardly any use besides the chapel to help raising and restoring prayer and the portal rooms.

There is very little point in getting almost any skill to 99. How is 99 farming any more useful than 85, which is all you need to plant the highest level thing. How is 99 slayer any more useful than 90, which is the highest level you need to kill the highest slayer monster. How is 99 woodcutting any more useful than 82? Sure you may cut logs a little faster, but it's not like it's a very good money maker. See what I'm getting at? For many skills, there is very little usefulness in getting level 99. Usefulness isn't why people get 99s - they get it to max out a skill.

As a closing point, it is my experience (and i mean MY experience, yours could well be entirely the opposite) that the majority of quest capers know far more about the game and have thereby achieved more than just wasting countless hours grinding to a 99. Often they will pay closer attention to detail and have tips for levelling skills efficiently (both in time and costs) which pure skillers may not have. For example, how many skillers or indeed general players bothered to work out that a leaf-bladed sword has a higher stab rating than a d long and is therefore theoretically the most accurate melee weapon against dragons? - dragons being weak to stab attacks. (I won't claim that for myself, but extend my thanks to a good friend J_R_Kerr, a fellow quest caper :-P )

So you're basically arguing that questers are more intelligent than your average RuneScape player? And what about those of us who hate questing but do all sorts of calculations to figure out the best way to train a skill? Or what about the people who spend their time figuring out things like combat formulas? Are you going to argue that those people are all questers too, because of their intelligence? A "skiller or indeed general player" is perfectly capable of figuring out that a leaf-bladed sword has a higher stab rating than a d long. Of course a SKILLER would have no business knowing that, but I'm sure that someone who is dedicated to training combat would certainly bother to figure that out. I'm not saying everyone would, but I certainly know quite a few people who would. Being a quester does not necessarily make you more intelligent than a "general player."

That said, if you worked through the majority without quest guides (I didn't even know about fan sites and quest guides for the first year or so that I played!) then you will usually master an area of the game (even if it is only the history of the game), which a basic skiller will have no idea of.

And a skiller can master skills, which is certainly an "area of the game" and a quester may have no idea of. A skiller can figure out the most efficient methods of training and learn their skill in and out.

To be honest skill capes take alot longer to get

yes

and much harder i believe

no, not really, it's not hard to click a lot.

You're right, it's not. Then all of RuneScape must be pretty darn easy since it's all just clicking. If getting level 99 is just a bunch of clicking, go out and get a 'difficult' 99 then come back. Level 99 skills take an incredible amount of patience and determination. It's so easy to burn out and want to give up, so just sticking with the skill is already a feat.

------------------------------------------------------

I don't think you can say that skill capes are better than quest capes or vice versa. You have to take the actual skill into consideration. Which is more impressive: 99 cooking or completing all quests? I think we can all agree that the skill cape is more impressive in this instance. But now which is more impressive: 99 runecrafting or a quest skill cape? Or even 99 construction or a quest skill cape? Making over 100m from scratch is no walk in the park either.

And just to address this point: yes it's impressive if you don't use guides when completing quests, but then you have to take the skilling equivalent into consideration. Example: comparing someone who has had a party hat from the dawn of time, decides to sell it and buy 99 prayer with someone who makes ~100m from scratch. Or comparing someone who buys 99 crafting with someone who collects each and every hide by themselves and then gets 99 crafting.

There are multiple ways to train each skill. For buyables, they're usually categorized into the "expensive but fast" method and the "cheap but slow" method.

Now it doesn't necessarily take more physical skill or intelligence to train a different way, but that's why I called it the skilling equivalent. It requires a lot more time, patience and dedication. I know people who have spent upwards of six months working on the same skill. And I, personally, have been working on 99 runecrafting for years.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog