Skill Capes vs. Quest Skill Cape

doomwish11

i am not going to quote anyone this time...even tho many ppl have the same veiws as me on this subject :) i myself have a questcape....which i love btw....and its not like skillcape ...its easier but yet its juss as hard as skillcape in a few ways because like someone said....quests are always changing and the adventure is different every quest..that's one of the reasons its easier ...its not repetitive and its not as boring as using a knife on a log to fletch forever.....thats one one of the reasons i got questcape...for one i loved questin and secondly i liked how the adventure is different all the time..i think skillcape is more respectable tho because i give major props to someone who can click tinderbox on logs till 99 fm.....so sum skills i think are more respectable but others not quite as much.....

Fire_Water06.png

Fire_Water06.png

We Don't Choose Our Birth, And We Don't Choose Our Death......

fire_water06.gif

Fire_water06.png

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

neither are very impressive, really... anyone can quest as long as they can follow a quest guide. and skilling just involves mindless clicking for the most part, which is more patience, focus and time, rather than any sort of real-life talent. still, i have quest cape and work towards certain skillcapes.... :roll:

my sig is cooler than ur sig

This is a game designed for those -10 years old.

That's not entirely true, as Runescape is rated for 13+ players. Sure, the puzzles may not be rubix cube difficulty, but they do tease your mind. As an owner of the quest cape, I have to say the only time I have a great amount of pride in my cape is the day or two after a new quest comes out, before any written guide has been released.

OT: I view the quest cape as a separate achievement from skillcapes. As A Local Guy was saying, it's difficult to compare them, as they require two very different objectives. Skillcapes show your dedication to a skill, whereas the quest cape shows your dedication to delve deeper into the game than most ever do. They all deserve the same amount of respect, regardless of what cape it is.

7 years 'scape knowledge and counting

m8pu02.png

99 Attack - June 8th 2010 99 Defence - August 2nd 2011 99 HP - December 2nd 2011

level 70 is 5% of 99 and if you look at the total stats needed there far from all being 70+ which meaining its alot easier to get a skill cape than quite a few of the 99's, obviously ones like cooking and fletching are easier than the quest cape but most of the capes imo are harder to get.

69er_is_best.png

GWD solo drops: Armadyl Hilt sold at 63.5m - (More to come hopefully)

i view the quest cape as comparable with a skill cape, easier than some and harder than others. getting a skill is not necessarily just grinding away (i appreciate some are at various stages) but skills can have other dependencies to make the achievement more efficient - eg quest rewards boosting exp rates or supporting skills.

for the quest cape you need reasonably high level in a multitude of skills and the same is true for efficient skilling.

is the slayer cape equal to the quest cape or fletching cape in awesomeness - not in my book i rank slayer first and fletching last in this example

i recognise you can buy some skills just like you can read and follow a guide blindly - but that doesnt mean the person you are demeaning has. for the majority of my fletching (to 96 then got bored and left it for 18 months until completed) I cut logs, picked flax, spun bow string and fletched - does that make my fletch cape nooby, not to me it doesnt . i did pretty much buy my cooking cape although i also managed to make an awesome profit on it so i feel i have the experience of a bought skill, several worked hard for skills and my quest cape to base my comments upon.

i actually rank my 81 herblore achievement above my cooking cape as its taken me longer to get and i did more of the growing herbs & collecting seconds myself.

i know you wanted a debate for and against but im personally sick of the arguement

its equal, get over it and respect people rather than dis them

platinum1004.png

platinum1004.png

platinum1004.png

platinum1004.png

platinum1004.png

I have the Answer on All problems :thumbsup:

Don't wear any cape at all :lol:

Be proud and wear the tip.it-cape <3:

sig8.png

65 67 65 68 60 91 59 64

sig9.png

82 89 84 93 83 83 82 71

sigforilufyoubyhawkxs.jpg

CLICK ME.

If U click this I won't eat your brain! I Plomise

angel2w.gifThank you Hawkxs For the awesome siggy!

To be honest skill capes take alot longer to get and much harder i believe. Not to mention costly in some areas in that category. Quests are there to help us break the dreaded repetition to get xp for that elusive 99..becuase if every1 really thinks down deep and looks. We all want 99s in some sort of skill and in most cases 2 at least ..for that trim and extra splash of color. Plus skill capes can prove to the whole community that this character is a dedicated player. So what my goal is in Geilinor is to keep doing quests the day they come out and continually get more 99's. In the long run I will have more capes than those that do not do either or. And hopefully have more respect in the world I live there.

DMjuggalo.png

DMjuggalo.pngDMjuggalo.png

I will have to say quest cape ....... BUT ....... That depends on how you got it.

People like me that have done every quest without a guide. no hints or tricks. worked it all out for myself. that is more impressive than most skill capes (allthough i still think prayer/smithing(/that UN-trimmed HP cape i once saw) are more impressive)

But as the majority of ppl seem to do nowerdays is just follow guides. tick the boxes not even pay atention to the "story" of the quest. that is even worse then the (no offence :? ) COOKING CAPE!!!

so it depends really.

EDIT + ADDITIONAL below

[hide=]AS the TIP.IT times article below states (posted on 23rd of march 2008 (so theese "highest levels" (as listed lower down the post) are no longer entirely accurate))

the innacuracies include the highest skill requirement for any quest (while githix sleeps - 75 magic (1.2m exp))

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?times=138

24 skills ... average "highest level" for all quests of 53 is 3,378,256 exp.

but as the higher levels are diss-preportianate to this as rising on a 1:11 (where you need approximatly 9% of your current exp again to level up (most accurate between levels 30-70)) on a scale not mearly 1:1 (which would be the same exp per level)

so averaging out this exp it makes the "average" exp per skill around 250,000 mark making it level 59/60

and therefor 5,549,264 neally half way to a 99 just in experiance alone. (assuming these levels have risen by a litte bit each it will be the half way mark (and assuming you get another 800k exp from the magic skill (due to while guthix sleeps)))

so this + the time required for the quests them selves. and the items required too. consider this before commenting aswell =)

Many thanks Mr42

:-# Also i KNOW i cant spell and i KNOW i over use brackets. so sue me. :-#

Highest levels list. as of 23'rd of march 2008

Agility-59-Grim Tales

Attack-15-Another Slice of H.A.M.

Construction-44-Catapult Construction

Cooking-70-Recipe For Disaster

Crafting-61-Lunar Diplomacy

Defense-65-Kings Ransom

Farming-53-Back To My Roots

Firemaking-51-As A First Resort

Fishing-62-Swan Song

Fletching-50-Devious Minds

Herblore-57-Fairy Tale Pt. 2

Hunter-48-As A First Resort

Magic-66-Swan Song

Mining-60-Lunar Diplomacy

Prayer-50-The Great Brain Robbery

Ranged-60-Mournings End Pt. 1

Runecrafting-50-Devious Minds

Slayer-59-Back To My Roots

Smithing-65-Devious Minds

Strength-60-Dealing With Scarabas

Thieving-60-Dealing With Scarabas

Woodcutting-72-Back To My Roots

Combat Level of 85-Dream Mentor[/hide]

monkeyqy5.th.jpg

I don't think we're discussing someone who hasn't finished every quest when we talk about quest capes, the same goes for skill capes so i say there's no reason to compare them as partially done

I say the quest cape is more impressive, it never really seemed like this before i realized how high you actually have to get your skills to finish every quest, and the exp combined can equal more than any skillcape, also once you get a skill cape you have a skill cape, unlike with quests where if Jagex decides to come out with another quest you have to do it to get you cape back

I really have to say the skill cape is more impressive

As the saying goes: what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, i disagree i can think of plenty of injuries that won't make you stronger.

beer2.png

yup.... runescape is pretty stressful

December, 19, 2009 (12/19/09)- 99defense- first cape- cb level 117

first off all i'm questcape owner.

on the day jagex released the things called "achievement capes" rs got ruined in my opinion. 99% of it's players, low&high, got the 99 sickness.

alot buying alot of materials to see number as 99, nicely cape. togheter with pk change (old wildy...) and this, prices of our items are changed forever. and players continue to get ingame by only targets of 99, or even worse, 200m xp.

anyways, same things accured for quests too, there still people who need that "obby cheaper cape" that'll read guides to do it cause it's easier for them, and that's really sad (well maybe not after wgs).

^^ biggest problem in rs, for all the ranters. anyways, still theres guys who quest in the fun and deserve way without guides. theres still guides that wc for fletch, rc for mage, mine for smith, and making their own things instead of "buying a skill". these guys do need respect, sadly, these days almost every cape anyone wearing not saying me anything =/

p.s. someone said summoning skill is same as con - just alot of money. well i would wanna say that jagex saved that skill and made it one that'll require both time&cash: you must get all the charms first...heres one of the only lvls no way how you get it, you deserve it 8-)

want_a_box.png

Being a quest cape owner I will be biased... :P

I say the quest cape is better than those skills that you just do countless clicking just to reach 99 (firemaking, fletching, cooking, etc. you get the point). Otherwise, skills such as, well, I dont know, combat capes or SLAYER for instance, are a slap in the face to the quest cape :lol:

5c96fbd7db.png

java2009021518224462vn5.png

PROUD Owner of Quest cape since 12/25/08 99 Attack Achieved 6/5/09

Drops: Dragon Boots x5, Dragon Chainbody x1 (Dusties) Abyssal Whip x3, Abyssal Head x1

Best single TT Reward: Saradomin Platebody + Zammy Page 3

There are a few capes that I think are better than quest cape and a few that are just plain overused. Firemaking, woodcutting, fletching, fishing, and cooking are all capes that no longer have that "omg 99" appeal to other players. There are just too many of em. No skill is involved with those capes, just money and patience. And you don't even need a combat requirement, so you see a lot of level 3s with those capes that just kill the glory of owning the capes.

The quest cape requires some pretty high stats in a lot of skills to meet requirements of the higher level quests. By the time you have a quest cape, you're likely to have most skills 60+ and high combat stats. Plus, skills like cooking and fletching don't involve defeating lv 150+ monsters and solving gigantic puzzles and running amuk around Runescape.

But then there are some more respectable skillcapes. I personally think the slayer cape is one of them. Slayer is an incredibly long skill to train especially if none of your combat stats are maxed, and there's no way a level 3 is going to get it unless they have 2 years to spend killing crawling hands with rings of recoil. Summoning is also a good cape because the charms almost require combat to get unless you theive them from some certain chest I hear about, but their charm rate was nerfed. The combat skillcapes like attack, str, mage, and range are ok except there are a lot of pures with them.

But all of this is just my opinion. I'm sure there are plenty of players who worked hard for some of those capes that the level 3s have ruined the name of and thus deserve more recognition. I've seen players with the audacity to walk up to a level 120 with a cooking cape and say "lmao noob skillcape" which I think is just stupid. Any 99 is good and takes incredible patience and possibly loads of money to get, but it's just that some capes have been overused and lose their appeal to other players.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Well, to be honest I find the the Quest Cape from impressive than most 99 skill capes. But, for me it's different, I'm proud of my Wc and Fletching cape. Hell, they both took me 5 months since I cut the yews and then used them to get 99 fletching. Sure, most people do willows and just buy fletching, which is the reason there are so many of them, but I got it the hard way and that's why I think that 99 Wc\fletch is way harder.

Also, last time I checked I could do 7 quests in 1 day. There are only a handful of 'hard' quests to be honest. Not trying to say quest cape is easy, but it's really not that hard.

Yuyu_1234567

I think if you find all the minimum levels to complete every quest (for example, X attack, X strength etc...) add the combined xp and compare you'll have a more complete picture.

I think many people are just taking into account the actual quest and not the skill levels to start the quest. So all these "reading a guide isn't as hard as grafting on one particular skill" is unfair, because you need to skill in multiple areas to complete one quest.

As a small example, to start While Guthix Sleeps by pure skill levels you need:

23 Summoning (6,291)

55 Hunter (166,636)

60 Thief (273,742)

65 Defence (273,742)

65 Farming (449,428)

65 Herblore (449,428)

75 Magic (1,210,421)

That's at least 2 million XP, I'm sure adding other higher quest requirements will add up to 13m (isn't that the requirement for 99?) so personally, I would rate the quest cape as a higher achievement than a single skill cape. I could be wrong, though.

sherman2k.png

I am personally impressed with the attention span of anyone who acquires a Skill Cape. I suffer from adult ADD and am incapable of grinding for hours on end. With that being said, I still believe that a Quest Cape requires a more well-rounded player. In order to acquire a Quest Cape the player must not only finish the quests, some of which are very difficult and/or try your patience in a unique way. They must also grind to get the required levels to even attempt quests, especially medium to hard quests. And the cherry is you have to continue to work to keep it as new quests are added. So my vote goes to anyone who can obtain, and maintain, a Quest Cape.

Don't listen to me because I don't have any cape (Obsidian ftw), but I actually think a TRIMMED 99 beats Quest.

I do a majority of my quests with a guide which generally makes it easier, but there have been harder quests, like Fremminik Trials and the one to get to Jatizso without a guide. Quests can really be a challenge, like Monkey Madness with 42 prayer -.-; it took forever to get through without getting k0'd, but I made it through with only 46 jailings and 2 deaths.

I'm working on a Thieving cape right now, and even though it looks like I have 65 I have 73 :P. It's taken a lot of my time and focus and is actually quiet difficult. Getting 99 combats and slayer would take much longer than getting all the quests, seeing as you have to deal with long tasks as well as getting expensive/rare armour to survive. Sure, Use Knife -> Log seems easy, but it still takes time. Farming takes forever as well, so it is quite a struggle.

Quests and Skills are inter-related. You need high skills for quests and you need a lot of quests to get some of the best training spots.

Skill cape(t) > Quest cape > Skill cape

Zunee27.png

Zunee27.png

I dont have either style of capes but in my oppinion I think the quest cape is more impressive because you have to train your skills to certain levels to be able to do all the quests. You dont have a choice which skills that is determined by the quest. You might have to train a skill you find totaly boring and never have an intention of training, like summoning and farming for me right now. I have no intention of training them so i will not be able to get quest cape. And to those who say oh look a quest cape he can follow directions, dont forget that you still have to train your skills to a certain level not just follow directions. Most skill capes can be "bought" a quest cape cannot be "bought".

rudedude.pngthError---Too-Stupid.png

Well, personally I would say that it all depends on hat the person likes but as I have to decide...

I would say quest cape. A skill cape can consist of simply clicking mindlessly (not always the case I know) and once you get 99 that's it.

Whereas with quest cape, not only does it require more than 1 skill (including farming, herblore, slayer, agility*) it also requires to continuous work to keep.

So, for me at least, it's quest cape

NOTE: Farming is a long, side-along skill. Slayer takes a very long time, as does agility and herblore makes big-time loss

Understanding.png

"Probably the worst thing I do is take bubble baths. But manly ones."

No matter what the avatar looks like, I'm male

A skillcape is a 99 in a skill. 13,034,431 experience, while a quest cape is that someone finished every quest. You can measure skill levels, you can't really measure quests as easily (ex. "I have 98 Firemaking", shows you almost have firemaking mastered as a level.

But the "puzzles" are very easy. This is a game designed for those -10 years old. Sure, some might be confusing, but once you "get it " its really easy.

ummm lets think here for a minute mm kay. you need an average of 400-700k exp in 24 skills. at the bare min 400k that's a total of 9.6 mil exp on the high end 16.8 m but for the sake of debate we'll take the low amount... so you need to gain as of right now at least 9.6 mil exp before you can do every quest. then we gotta factor in gathering many items and hours upon hours upon hours of questing.... between 30 min (even the short ones take at least 20 min) and 3 hours. in the 30 min you can gain 20k exp in most skills.... at the min we'll say there's 140 quests right now as i know we're between that and 150... that means a min of 46.6 hours. which is 933.3k exp you could have gained training a 99 at the min of every quest being only 20 min which as we all (at least qp capers know) is not true for all. so now lets look at high ends

3 hour is max for me with and without guides. im gonna be fair and say 1 1/2 hours as a mid range / average. in that time you can get 80k exp. 1.5 hours x 140 quests = 210 hours x 80k exp = 16,800,000 exp so between 933k and 16.8 mil in exp loss from doing all the quests. plus the 9.6m you already had to earn doing the quests.... prob about 20 mil exp total in what you already had to have plus what you could have gained in that amt of time.

with those calculations i think its safe to say a qp cape is much more awesome as it requires more time to get it plus you have to maintain it every month

now as far as the game being made for peopole less than 10 years old thats not true and you know it. for starters you must either have faxed / mailed parentel permision to play if you are under 13 years old and second off andrew himself has said on the forums they make the game as they would enjoy it and they msot certainly are not younger than 10 years old. so check your facts before you try that card again.

dj_phox.png

I have the Answer on All problems :thumbsup:

Don't wear any cape at all :lol:

Be proud and wear the tip.it-cape <3:

wait you just said to do 2 differen things... first not o wear any cape then to wear the tipit cape.... which one?

dj_phox.png

I have 243 qps and 2 99's at the moment. So luckily, I see both sides of this arguement. Yes, they are the noob cook and fletch capes. I'll admit it. I bought fletch post 90, and just about all of cook. Is that wrong? If I make money doing other skills, or from drops etc, why wouldn't I want to put it toward a skill? Yes, I do believe this "downgrades" certain capes in the awe factor. But I am also just about to level 93 in farm. :) Certain capes will always be ranked differently to various people, but I think we can all agree that Con, Sum, Farm, Slay, pray will usually seem more impressive than cook, fm, fletch, and the melee capes. (PC ftw?) Anyone who has a quest cape gets my kudos for training all of their stats to meet the min requirements, and spending countless hours gathering materials and doing puzzles of the various quests. But to be honest, anyone who has tier level 3 in all the achievement diaries, has my respect over the quest cape and most of the nub capes! Just my opinion of course. :)

99 Fletch/Cook/Farm

{Started- 11/06}

I think the big difference is that for the quest cape you have to have a good and balanced personage. Good skills and good combat. For a skill cape u don't have to have trained all skills. For example: if u hate farming, u can easily get a skill cape without farming. But if u want a skill cape, u'll need to have trained all skills, also the ones u hate.

Btw I'm aiming for a quest cape too, but got bored at some time, and there are some really though quests left. Well, I'll do them sometimes...

Detrumi.png

Detrumi.png

After While Guthix Sleeps (first quest in years that I didn't meet reqs for, not counting quests based on skills released after slayer when I quit), I'd say the quest cape is more impressive in general

99 in skills like RC or Slayer are still more impressive though imo

Lagatag.png