Should the logout timer be removed?

runevirage

No, sometimes I accidentally close the tab/window I'm playing Runescape in, and if there was no logout timer then I would have no way of logging out (since it wouldn't allow me to log back in).

ahem, when the client is forced to close, the connection is no longer blocking (in I/O terms), so an IO error/exception/violation happens anyway. And these are catchable in most programming libraries/APIs, so client-side log out timer has nothing to do with you being logged out by the server.

savormix.gif
R.I.P. oO000oO0oO00, RS2 range pure transformed to a maxed PvM char in EoC, ten years of time completely wasted.
Good to be gone :)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok say they remove the logout timer. put yourself in this senario. you just made it to the steel dragons to train some mage. your windows decides to update and your runescape applet freezes. because theres no logout timer theres a 100% chance you are dead. but with the logout timer your account will log out safely but still a slight chance of death. the logout timer saves lives

You're using a rather extreme and rare example, doing that can pretty much justify anything. I can justify not having a bank pin by saying what if there was a really good merchanting offer that only lasted a few seconds and because you had to input your bank pin before withdrawing your coins you couldn't offer the trade in time. Also, many other alternative exist, you can make it voluntary, such as using a pause button (no ability to interact with the game, but all of your settings are kept intact and you don't have to re-enter your pin), or being able to toggle it (so you can have a logout timer while you're at steel dragons, and then turn it off while you're cooking or something).

I hate how everytime my character logs off after I have just came back from peeing.

To all those having problems peeing and playing Runescape, you should invest in a laptop, a wireless router, and play on the toilet. Problem solved.

So every time nature calls you have to lug a 5 pound laptop around your house and then back? C'mon, there's much more elegant solutions.

how is that extreme, it can happen anywhere you train melee so its a broad area, would you rather me say black demons, or gwd or abby demons? stupid [bleep]

Dragon Drops: 5 medium helmet, 3 left shield half

Obby: Maul 1, Cape 1, Shield 1

^Homophobia is for noobs. And he still provided valid arguments against your post. If anyone's stupid, it's you.

I hate how everytime my character logs off after I have just came back from peeing.

To all those having problems peeing and playing Runescape, you should invest in a laptop, a wireless router, and play on the toilet. Problem solved.

#-o

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

I have to say I'm on both sides. Personally I'd prefer to have the timer extended because I hate having to switch tabs back and forth if I want to check something on a tip it skill guide or check the next step in a quest. I also hate having to just sit here and move my finger on the touch pad every minute when I'm doing something like woodcutting and fishing. But I can see why it might be needed or at least useful in the game.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

how is that extreme, it can happen anywhere you train melee so its a broad area, would you rather me say black demons, or gwd or abby demons? stupid [bleep]

The people who are training at high level monsters that somehow have their computer freeze exactly at the right moment while they're in some specific situation (almost ran out of time on their antifire pots, or low on hp and for some reason didn't eat) is comparatively much rarer than say, the amount of people who do fishing, cooking, smithing, woodcutting etc. Also, are you like 10 years old or something?

To all the people saying 'it isn't fast enough to pee, it should be lengthened' (which seems to be the point of this thread): Apparently, you don't realize that that is WHY the rule is in place. The rules are against BEING AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD. You need to pee, you hit log out. Reading the forums is the only reason I can see for it being removed, and very few activities take more then a minute. So no, it's good where it is.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Entirely removed? No. But it could do with an extension. 90 seconds is barely enough, especially now that there aren't as many autos as there were before. So I think it should be lengthened to about 120-150 seconds. Maybe make it a feature that you could change how long before it logs you out, for those who are content with the 90 sec timer.

That, and as some people have said before, you shouldn't be logged out while in the middle of a long task such as smelting. Instead, let it finish that load, and log you out automatically when you're done (that is if you leave it idle for that time)

[94/99 Ranged][87/99 HP][80/85 Def][70/70 Pray]

The timer would never be removed, or every world would be full of AFKers. An extention isin't going to happen either. It just allows an AFKer to come back, click or something, and go back to AFKing.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

To all the people saying 'it isn't fast enough to pee, it should be lengthened' (which seems to be the point of this thread): Apparently, you don't realize that that is WHY the rule is in place. The rules are against BEING AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD. You need to pee, you hit log out. Reading the forums is the only reason I can see for it being removed, and very few activities take more then a minute. So no, it's good where it is.

Yes, but with our brilliant idea of peeing while playing Runescape, no rules are broken. I also suggest that we bring a mini-fridge into the bathrooms, too.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I hate it too, but it's there for a good reason... Without it, most of the worlds would be filled up and it would be alot more laggy. :x But there is a way to go AFK for however long you want. \'

Just open up a skill guide so you won't get randoms and then put something heavy on the arrow key and it won't log you out. Problem fixed! :thumbsup:

I won't say that a single fist can destroy the world... but it can certainly destroy YOU!

Ostrich.png

Yes, but with our brilliant idea of peeing while playing Runescape, no rules are broken. I also suggest that we bring a mini-fridge into the bathrooms, too.

You could just put the fridge and toilets in RS.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

the timer is there for a reason, removing it might bring problems

What reason?

Obviously no.

But why?

person A and person B get some cheap armor and flowers

A and B go to a PVP single way combat hotspot

person A and B wail on each other with flowers, leaving their computers on overnight

A and B junk pk each other subsequently after amassing 24 hour's worth of PVP drop potential from a hotspot zone

and of course person A and B could do the same thing with earth strike splashing, getting massive drop potential while training magic for no effort at all

^^ that's why

LOL!

"If there's a way, we will find it!!!"

:D

i_j00_m0m.png

The stars are matter, we're matter, but it doesn't matter.

-Don Van Vliet

the timer is there for a reason, removing it might bring problems

What reason?

Obviously no.

But why?

person A and person B get some cheap armor and flowers

A and B go to a PVP single way combat hotspot

person A and B wail on each other with flowers, leaving their computers on overnight

A and B junk pk each other subsequently after amassing 24 hour's worth of PVP drop potential from a hotspot zone

and of course person A and B could do the same thing with earth strike splashing, getting massive drop potential while training magic for no effort at all

^^ that's why

LOL!

"If there's a way, we will find it!!!"

:D

That can be done with macros too....

blood_argon.gif

99 Crafting :: 39,750th || 99 Attack :: 1,775th

Brilliant. But it completely removes any reason for log out timer removal.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

ok say they remove the logout timer. put yourself in this senario. you just made it to the steel dragons to train some mage. your windows decides to update and your runescape applet freezes. because theres no logout timer theres a 100% chance you are dead. but with the logout timer your account will log out safely but still a slight chance of death. the logout timer saves lives

You're using a rather extreme and rare example, doing that can pretty much justify anything. I can justify not having a bank pin by saying what if there was a really good merchanting offer that only lasted a few seconds and because you had to input your bank pin before withdrawing your coins you couldn't offer the trade in time. Also, many other alternative exist, you can make it voluntary, such as using a pause button (no ability to interact with the game, but all of your settings are kept intact and you don't have to re-enter your pin), or being able to toggle it (so you can have a logout timer while you're at steel dragons, and then turn it off while you're cooking or something).

Extreme? Not really

Rare? Yes, but only because you are not seeing the big picture.

I have had this happen to me MANY different times and the logout timer saved me a few of these times.

I am killing X monster and my router goes out/my crappy ISP decides to go out on me. I either kill it and log out before another one of the monster decides to take a whack at me or I die and lose many things. I have died at green dragons before when that happened and have had many many MANY different times where I lagged out and it is an easy enough monster to where I can kill and log out. If there was no logout timer I would have to wait for the monster to go unagressive and that means staying letting the monster attack me for upwards of 30 minutes! I support the logout timer, and if you are too lazy to just log out before you do something then its your own damn fault

snipers_end.png

i dont see staying logged in as a good idea but the increasing time a little bit could be nice.... what would be better is get rid of world hop timer... ugg 40 seconds when searching for empty bandos worlds or looking for c wars game starting sooner than 15-20 min from now

dj_phox.png

First of all they need to get rid of the AFK rule.

Whatever rule it comes under its as lame as the multi logging or account sharing/trading rule.

So your saying I should be allowed to leave for work in the morning at bandits, and come back in the evening with 1.5m more XP? Is that how Jagex wants people to play the game? Should I go buy some chinese gold farmer's maxed account instead of training my own, then growing bored and quitting in a month or so? Should I share my account with 5 other people, splitting up the 5$ a month fee? There's reasons behind all of these rules. Jagex is in this to make money.

DeviledEgg24.png

Whatever rule it comes under its as lame as the multi logging or account sharing/trading rule.

So your saying I should be allowed to leave for work in the morning at bandits, and come back in the evening with 1.5m more XP? Is that how Jagex wants people to play the game? Should I go buy some chinese gold farmer's maxed account instead of training my own, then growing bored and quitting in a month or so? Should I share my account with 5 other people, splitting up the 5$ a month fee? There's reasons behind all of these rules. Jagex is in this to make money.

By account trading I meant sharing gold between different accounts, I thought that was the rule it was under.

True about the money thing though, didn't think of that.

Doomy edit: I like sheep

By account trading I meant sharing gold between different accounts, I thought that was the rule it was under.

True about the money thing though, didn't think of that.

Most people don't. 'all jagex cares about is money' is one of the insults that whiners frequently throw out there. Congrats, they finally got the message! Jagex only cares about money. LIKE EVERY OTHER COMPANY. As for account trading, opening that up would open up RWT again.

DeviledEgg24.png

If I forgot to log out one day before I went out, I guarantee that I'd be dead via random long before I returned.

mssigqc5.jpgI do English to Japanese and Japanese to English translation for free! Just keep it under 5 sentences, and PM me to use my fluency in Japanese to your advantage!

People are already doing that at bandits, that's the whole reason why it is so popular.