Should the logout timer be removed?

runevirage

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this month well be increasing the length of the auto-logout timer from the current 90 seconds to about 5 minutes.

They were definitely thinking similar to us TIF'ers. ;)

Edit: What's with the scam tags?

Pirate Rosetta stone. Learn a language while you scape.

Sounds interesting, but these days how many people really speak Pirate?

I am starting to think they browse tip.it forums more than the official forums :lol:

Why would they browse the RSOF? Its full of people with the combined iq of a couple of TIFers. If soumeone on RSOF would have made this it would have looked more like:

OMG DIS ATO_LOGOUT LOGGED ME OUT WEN I DIDNT WANT IT! JAGEKS CHANGDE IT NAO OR I MAKE A RIOT IN FALLY AND QUIT! P2P MEANS PAY2PLAY NOT PAY2BELOGGEDOUT! I HATE DIS!

Any way. this update could be great or it could just end up terrible. The 5 mins if you lag out could be the difference between living and dying. (Or is there a separate system that detects disconects?) This could also be bad because it may make way to a whole new type of AFK training...Oh well, I think the previous timer was a bit short. But 2-3 mins would have been fine.

It shouldn't be removed, I think the proposed 5 minutes is ideal. If you don't do anything in-game for longer than that, you may as well not be playing.

But there is the issue with the browser crashes and randoms, where the shorter auto-logout comes in handy.

Solution:

1. Remove random events which can kill you. They're not needed and are a nuisance anyway.

2. Set the standard auto-logout timer to 5 minutes.

3. In areas where the monster population are aggressive to the player reduce the timer back to 90 seconds if the player is in that area. This includes PvP areas.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

It shouldn't be removed, I think the proposed 5 minutes is ideal. If you don't do anything in-game for longer than that, you may as well not be playing.

But there is the issue with the browser crashes and randoms, where the shorter auto-logout comes in handy.

Solution:

1. Remove random events which can kill you. They're not needed and are a nuisance anyway.

2. Set the standard auto-logout timer to 5 minutes.

3. In areas where the monster population are aggressive to the player reduce the timer back to 90 seconds if the player is in that area. This includes PvP areas.

I remember a long time ago Jagex was telling us about randoms they were going to get rid of. This month could be the perfect time to get rid of the useless ones since 5 minutes is plenty of time for an evil chicken to come and kill you.

Trapt45.png

the timer is there for a reason, removing it might bring problems

What reason?

Obviously no.

But why?

person A and person B get some cheap armor and flowers

A and B go to a PVP single way combat hotspot

person A and B wail on each other with flowers, leaving their computers on overnight

A and B junk pk each other subsequently after amassing 24 hour's worth of PVP drop potential from a hotspot zone

and of course person A and B could do the same thing with earth strike splashing, getting massive drop potential while training magic for no effort at all

^^ that's why

You stay logged in during combat... educate yourself.

bling3.png

[blingkachi50]

For anyone with worries...

[hide=Hi]

(RSOF)Quick find code: 16-17-173-58176370

Auto Logout Clarification

02-Jan-2009 17:22:00

Last edited on 02-Jan-2009 17:28:01 by Andrew

You will be relieved to hear that the proposed change to the auto-logout timer should NOT reduce your chances of survival in the case of a lost connection/power cut/crashed computer etc..

In RuneScape there are currently 3 logout related timers:

1) There is an 'idle' timer. This is currently set to 90 seconds, and auto logs you out if you haven't moved the mouse or pressed a key for 90 seconds. This is the one we are proposing to increase up to 5 mins.

2) There is a 'lost connecton' timer, which detects long periods with no network communication from your computer. (e.g. bad lag, or lost connection, or crash). This removes players who have lost connection. This is set to 30 seconds. This is NOT CHANGING.

3) There is a 3rd timer, to stop people deliberately unplugging their network during combat to escape combat, this waits an additional 60 seconds if you lose connection during combat. This is also NOT CHANGING.

As you can see neither the combat or lost connection timers are being adjusted. Only the 'idle' timer which is used in non combat situations to detect people who have left their computer unattended.

As to the REASON it is being changed. It is because it is a (very) common request that it be made a bit longer, which we are responding to. The most common example of where this helps is if you are playing the game and doing something else at the same time. For example say you have your character cutting down a tree, and are also reading the RuneScape forums (keeping a careful eye on your other window to watch for random events, but not interacting with it), at the moment after 90 seconds of forum reading the other window will suddenly logout, which is annoying. So it's upped to 5 minutes now.

Finally for people who are worried this will increase the risk of AFK cheating. We considered this, but aren't overly worried it will, since the timer we are increasing wasn't really made as an anti-cheat measure anyway, and wasn't effective at preventing that anyway. It was possible to bypass by simply leaving something holding down a key on the keyboard anyway.

02-Jan-2009 17:36:55

Last edited on 02-Jan-2009 17:39:32 by Andrew

Mod Vince is head of the RuneScape content team. (The team which makes the game itself, which is responsible for the vast majority of the updates and upgrades you see).

I am head of the Game Engine team. (the team which makes the underlieing technology which the game runs on top of). Most the stuff we do you don't even realise we are doing.

So my team typically improves the capabilities of the game engine, and the RuneScape team then goes and uses those new features to make cool things.

So if it is something technical like trying to make the game work on more computers, or load faster, or adjusting networking code, or adding entirely new capabilities it would be my team. If its making a new quest or rebalancing a weapon, or deciding the high alch prices of items, or indeed just about anything to do with the game design itself it is Vince's team.

[/hide]

Alpha_Koldes.png

-

Man, I really do love Runescape, and I'm sure if it was a real person I would of asked it to marry me by now.

I am starting to think they browse tip.it forums more than the official forums :lol:

Why would they browse the RSOF? Its full of people with the combined iq of a couple of TIFers. If soumeone on RSOF would have made this it would have looked more like:

Before rsof and when this was scapeboard a couple jagex mods had accounts here and browsed scapeboard - i never saw them post tho tbh.

Anyway i'm mixed about this. This is AWESOME for skilling! I hate logging out.

But man.....the last 3 times i died were because i disconnected in combat against like noob monsters and somehow woke up in lumby unable to get my items back.

EDIT: I just read the post above about how it actually doesn't change the disconnect timer ( SWEET)

[hide=Hi]

You will be relieved to hear that the proposed change to the auto-logout timer should NOT reduce your chances of survival in the case of a lost connection/power cut/crashed computer etc..

1) There is an 'idle' timer. This is currently set to 90 seconds, and auto logs you out if you haven't moved the mouse or pressed a key for 90 seconds. This is the one we are proposing to increase up to 5 mins.

2) There is a 'lost connecton' timer, which detects long periods with no network communication from your computer. (e.g. bad lag, or lost connection, or crash). This removes players who have lost connection. This is set to 30 seconds. This is NOT CHANGING.

3) There is a 3rd timer, to stop people deliberately unplugging their network during combat to escape combat, this waits an additional 60 seconds if you lose connection during combat. This is also NOT CHANGING.

As you can see neither the combat or lost connection timers are being adjusted. Only the 'idle' timer which is used in non combat situations to detect people who have left their computer unattended.

As to the REASON it is being changed. It is because it is a (very) common request that it be made a bit longer, which we are responding to. The most common example of where this helps is if you are playing the game and doing something else at the same time. For example say you have your character cutting down a tree, and are also reading the RuneScape forums (keeping a careful eye on your other window to watch for random events, but not interacting with it), at the moment after 90 seconds of forum reading the other window will suddenly logout, which is annoying. So it's upped to 5 minutes now.

Finally for people who are worried this will increase the risk of AFK cheating. We considered this, but aren't overly worried it will, since the timer we are increasing wasn't really made as an anti-cheat measure anyway, and wasn't effective at preventing that anyway. It was possible to bypass by simply leaving something holding down a key on the keyboard anyway.

Mod Vince is head of the RuneScape content team. (The team which makes the game itself, which is responsible for the vast majority of the updates and upgrades you see).

I am head of the Game Engine team. (the team which makes the underlieing technology which the game runs on top of). Most the stuff we do you don't even realise we are doing.

So my team typically improves the capabilities of the game engine, and the RuneScape team then goes and uses those new features to make cool things.

So if it is something technical like trying to make the game work on more computers, or load faster, or adjusting networking code, or adding entirely new capabilities it would be my team. If its making a new quest or rebalancing a weapon, or deciding the high alch prices of items, or indeed just about anything to do with the game design itself it is Vince's team.

[/hide]

I feel much better about this logout timer change now, that 30 seconds has saved my life numerous times, especially on my crappy dial-up. So, yes, It will be nice to have it extended.

Xezalb.png

It's good to be back.

[hide=Hi]

[/hide]

I feel much better about this logout timer change now, that 30 seconds has saved my life numerous times, especially on my crappy dial-up. So, yes, It will be nice to have it extended.

agreed this updates gonna be awesomish!

Pit_Guardian.png

Gamertag: EFs Predator.

Games I play: Halo 3, Halo wars.

In my opinion, I don't think the logout timer should be removed indefinitly, just extended as you have suggested, to maybe 5 minutes or so. As most everyone else has said, I worry about logging out to do simple tasks as easy as feeding my dogs.

Kioto10.png

Kioto10.png

Kioto10.png

9fxzcj.jpg <-- Crafting

Kioto10.png wjPu.gif

In my opinion, I don't think the logout timer should be removed indefinitly, just extended as you have suggested, to maybe 5 minutes or so. As most everyone else has said, I worry about logging out to do simple tasks as easy as feeding my dogs.

Fail.

That's all that needs to be said.

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

I think idle one should be removed (I like the combat one, could save you from a random :x)

[hide=Hi]

[/hide]

Alpha_Koldes.png

-

Man, I really do love Runescape, and I'm sure if it was a real person I would of asked it to marry me by now.

I think idle one should be removed (I like the combat one, could save you from a random :x)

[hide=Hi]

[/hide]

I read that...But people here are wondering if all timers should be removed (I think that's the topic purpose, unless its only the idle one)

Since I think topic is saying all should be removed I said all should stay but Idle

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

I cant wait for the 5 minute logout because I'm going for 99 fishing and always worrying about my character logging out is a pain, I just wish they would get rid of randoms, I was actually just posting something and I looked back and had 20 health, stupid randoms!!!

geranimal.png

Geranimal.png

Geranimal.png

I cant wait for the 5 minute logout because I'm going for 99 fishing and always worrying about my character logging out is a pain, I just wish they would get rid of randoms, I was actually just posting something and I looked back and had 20 health, stupid randoms!!!

You ignored the Runescape window long enough to lose 63 hp? :shock:

I can't wait for the five minute timer. I'm holding off on doing any woodcutting or fishing until that's updated.

ab38dfd9d8.png

bluehooloovo.png

bluehooloovo.png

[hide=]

The light at the end of the tunnel is the demon-infested lava pit.

blue = sad

hoo = who

loo = 100

vo = broken ice cream cone = sad children = sad babies = dead babies

bluehooloovo = sadwho100deadbabies = Who is sad about 100 dead babies?

I've cracked the code!

[/hide]Blog