Should the logout timer be removed?

runevirage

If it wernt for the automatic logout, how would you recover from being lagged out while in combat?

You wouldnt.

Nonsense. There's a great deal of difference between the system noticing a connection being broken and a timer that logs you out after a set ammount of time.

Imo the timer is far too strict. I find myself frantically hitting the keyboard to prevent myself from logging out whenever I have something else that requires my immediate but short attention. And as far as I'm aware, there's no such game that has a similar [developmentally delayed]ed timer.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you shouldn't be feeding your dog while playing runescape =o

a 'pause' button would be great though -- something that basically logs you out until you get back, and which point it'll log you back in without you having to enter your information

fishing.gif

you shouldn't be feeding your dog while playing runescape =o

a 'pause' button would be great though -- something that basically logs you out until you get back, and which point it'll log you back in without you having to enter your information

A feature like that sounds great to me. Because sometimes if I even go down to grab my phone, or take a drink, it will log me out (And I don't fancy running down 3 flights of stairs, doing death defying stunts over the sofa, just to grab my drink - in the hope I would get back quicker)

Just something as simple as not having to re-enter my password (which is long...) for a game session would be decent enough, or at least give me the option.

That way Jagex don't have to worry about me complaining at them if my dog or my parent decide to go hijack my Runescape account :)

Why are all of you still arguing when a compromise of both was found? #-o

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

Actually, making it longer would be a problem, as it would make it take longer to get back in when your window closes accidentaly.

That said, a 5-min "Forum/bathroom/etc" pause that you can disable when you get back would be nice.

Edit: Wow, that was some fancy irony. Moments after I posted this, I changed between tabs and my window just closed. Is someone from here hacking my computer?

No, because closing the RuneScape window causes the TCP connection to be closed, so the next time the RuneScape server tried to send a packet it would throw an IOException and then the server would terminate the connection...

Even if you close the window while in combat, the connection is terminated immediately, the RS server just has mechanisms that keep you artificially logged in (e.g. you aren't logged in but it makes it seem so). Trying to PM a player who's closed his game window but is still "logged in" due to being in combat, will never actually receive the message even though it will seem to you that he did.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

If you ask me, the world-hopping time limit is far more annoying than a logout button.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

I have no problem with the log-off timer. I always go on tip.it while fletching and have never been logged off... \'

That's because fletching 27 logs takes less than 90 seconds. If it took 91 seconds or more, you'd have to move the camera or do something to stop yourself from being logged out. I'm pretty sure you'd have a problem with it then, or at least begin to find it annoying

For using the forum, I just put RS in a corner and brows like normal. That's the only reason I can see for getting rid of the log out timer, but that's really not a problem. And there's quite a few reasons to keep it around, namely so that people can't go to the bathroom\feed the dog while playing.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

I would be ok with removing either randoms -OR- the logout timer, but not both. If you were to take both, you're pulling away the spirit of the game - to be played, and not merely monitored.

If there were no logout timer or randoms, we would all become autoers to an extent.

stormveritas.png

Worlds do get overcrowded, sure, but that's not all about people AFKing. Overcrowding has a greater effect on popular monster spots on lootshare worlds, and that's a completely different problem.

I'd be glad to see the timer raised a bit. I don't want it to go forever - unexpected disconnections do happen - but a little longer would be okay. So long as I can use an interface to stop randoms coming to me.

There are sometimes errors that occurs where the game still thinks you are online and thus cannot log in. And of course, the annoyance of people hogging slots online. People always seem to think everything that is perceived to be annoying has to do with bots, a lot of it has to do with sly players as well.

And I always complain about this, why are you AFKing while skilling? Bored yes, but look at a more holistic view.

-You fletch, you see 27 logs being fletched. You choose to look away from the screen. No one forced you to, you are logged out because you are bored of it.

-You train firemaking, you manually light 27 fires. You cannot look away, you cannot choose to look away no matter how tedious it is.

Bottom line, you chose to make your life easier. Live with it, you are playing a game. The current window is suffice to do small stuff in the net, but to do something away from the computer entirely as some are suggesting, just ludicrous. Being AFK is not a way to play.

I hate it when people complain about such this, and randoms, because they AFK a lot. I hate randoms as well, I have sympathy for those who is annoyed at drill demons or similar randoms, but none for those that can teled by sandwich lady since is their own fault for not paying attention. If RS is such a chore that if you cannot look at the screen, then WHY are you playing it?

Templar Guardians

When are trying to lend something, the word to use is borrow. Not barrows, which is a mini-game.

If RS is such a chore that if you cannot look at the screen, then WHY are you playing it?

It's not exactly because the game is a chore, rather a few certain tasks; ones which we realise can be AFK'd for a short while. We just end up pushing the boundaries to the point in which the Logout timer catches us. Like I mentioned in my other post, like in other games, I would like the option to go AFK for a toilet, without having to log back in again XD (But hey, that's just wishful thinking)

Anyway... to those with a big enough monitor, and bored of skilling, here is what I suggest you do:

- Resize the windows so you have some nice empty space to work with.

- Either read game guides/forums

- Load up a Movie/YouTube video

- Do some homework

- Talk with friends on another means of IM

Works for me :P

I simply wrote myself a little program which flashes a red border around my entire screen after 90 seconds of not clicking in the rs window.

Admittedly it's not hard to do, because I use the Runescape Client to play, but it works extremely well for forum browsing.

Positivity or negativity depends which side are you, training and struggling to log out while pkers are chasing you or the other way.

581st to Cooking 99 [June 2005]-------------71537th to Hitpoints 99 [December 2009]

233rd to Firemaking 99 [February 2006]----65875th to Defence 99 [February 2010]

822nd to Woodcutting 99 [March 2006]------95249th to Attack 99 [April 2010]

576th to Fishing 99 [september 2006]-------14016th to Crafting 99 [January 2011]

83541st to Strength 99 [May 2009]----------124340th to Magic 99 [June 2011]

23885th to Smithing 99 [september 2011]--XXXXXXth to Ranged 99 [October 2012]

F2p forever ...

The logout timer was never ment to stop a macro. Correct me if I am wrong, but it has existed since the first day of RSC, and I don't think even the mighty randoms have existed that long (unless Andrew saw macros beign a problem before the game was relesed). Macros could easily be programed to move the screen up and down, or click on different skill menues to stay active while fishing and woodcutting. No, there are plenty of fetures in the game designed to stop macros and this is not one of them. The autologout is to combat AFK training. By reqireing input, it makes it more difficlut to train without being at you computer and paying at least some attention. As a point of interest you actualy can log out in combat. On several occasions I have accidently closed my browser page with a backspace (pre HD) or closed a tab to find the whole browser go down, or lost connection through no fault of my own. I have come to learn that shoud I live in combat for a minute without any input, after being disconected, I will log out (it migth happen even faster). I don't think I have died more than once from a disconect, and this is why, because I keep my health high (for this reason) so that even if I die as soon as I log in, I will actualy have a grave too.

well, if we're going to do anything with it i'd suggest it be elongated...not really removed or anything. If people go away for a bit, say in the middle of a minigame, they're just being deadweight to the team and they need to be logged off so the game can be played more fairly. i'd say its necessary in a lot of situations.

The logout timer was never ment to stop a macro. Correct me if I am wrong, but it has existed since the first day of RSC, and I don't think even the mighty randoms have existed that long (unless Andrew saw macros beign a problem before the game was relesed). Macros could easily be programed to move the screen up and down, or click on different skill menues to stay active while fishing and woodcutting. No, there are plenty of fetures in the game designed to stop macros and this is not one of them. The autologout is to combat AFK training. By reqireing input, it makes it more difficlut to train without being at you computer and paying at least some attention. As a point of interest you actualy can log out in combat. On several occasions I have accidently closed my browser page with a backspace (pre HD) or closed a tab to find the whole browser go down, or lost connection through no fault of my own. I have come to learn that shoud I live in combat for a minute without any input, after being disconected, I will log out (it migth happen even faster). I don't think I have died more than once from a disconect, and this is why, because I keep my health high (for this reason) so that even if I die as soon as I log in, I will actualy have a grave too.

AFAIK the auto-logout was originally to reduce the load on the servers, by removing people who weren't doing anything.

As the runescape player base grew enough to 'fill' a server it because useful in that it removed inactive people from a full server to let others in.

There seems to be a common misconception here that the logout timer is what logs you out if you accidentally close the window,

Not True.

This was explained in a previous post - you close the window, it severs the link, you are logged. The exception to this is if you are in combat, you will be artificially kept logged in. This was to combat x-logging in pvp. (Would be great if someone could confirm that, I'm not 100%).

Also, you won't keep your gravestone if you log out, a grave disappears prematurely if you log out.

I didn't read most of this thread, because I just don't need to.

I was just talking with a friend recently, and I pretty much said "If there was ONE thing I could change about RS, it would be the logout timer.

I just hate it. It is the biggest problem with RS in my eyes... and if it was changed it would make me appreciate the game a lot more.

I don't need to list the pros and cons, or the reasons or anything like that, because they've been stated. I'll just say, I agree whole heartedly.

P.S. Not necessarily REMOVED, but changed.

Edit: I got logged out while writing this...

Alpha_Koldes.png

-

Man, I really do love Runescape, and I'm sure if it was a real person I would of asked it to marry me by now.