Should the logout timer be removed?

runevirage

person A and person B get some cheap armor and flowers

A and B go to a PVP single way combat hotspot

person A and B wail on each other with flowers, leaving their computers on overnight

A and B junk pk each other subsequently after amassing 24 hour's worth of PVP drop potential from a hotspot zone

and of course person A and B could do the same thing with earth strike splashing, getting massive drop potential while training magic for no effort at all

^^ that's why

Being hit(whether you take damage or not) keeps the timer from finishing ticking. As soon as the 10 seconds after combat are over you do get logged out, though. So you can already do this, well for 6 hours at least. Or maybe randoms would get ya, do they even have randoms in pvp worlds?

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens if you lose your connection or your power goes out. I would like to know that my character is safe against randoms or other monsters.

Read the thread. Several people have pointed out that losing connection automatically logs you out unless you are in combat.

On Topic: I don't want the timer removed, but like many people have said, extending it would be awesome. Or, as also suggested, not starting the timer while you are gaining experience (cutting down a tree, fishing a load of whatever, etc.)

ab38dfd9d8.png

bluehooloovo.png

bluehooloovo.png

[hide=]

The light at the end of the tunnel is the demon-infested lava pit.

blue = sad

hoo = who

loo = 100

vo = broken ice cream cone = sad children = sad babies = dead babies

bluehooloovo = sadwho100deadbabies = Who is sad about 100 dead babies?

I've cracked the code!

[/hide]Blog

I hate how everytime my character logs off after I have just came back from peeing.

To all those having problems peeing and playing Runescape, you should invest in a laptop, a wireless router, and play on the toilet. Problem solved.

So every time nature calls you have to lug a 5 pound laptop around your house and then back? C'mon, there's much more elegant solutions.

Yes, a Dialysis Machine.

Just last night, I was surfing the web while mining gold. I zoned out in another window for a couple of minutes, awoke with a snort, and found myself in lumbridge when I logged back in. Not because the random I received killed me in twenty seconds, but because I logged out while fighting it. Courtesy of the timer.

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

no we need this so ppl wont just afk train. and dragonfable is not an mmo, its single player. so there's really no comparison there. however, the login timer when hopping.... :evil:

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

nope don't like idea. prefer like a message like it used to be (you have been standing here for 30 seconds please move). just imagine all of the people ranting on how they got killed because they went to the bathroom/to eat/etc.

edit: servers will fill up too fast

honduras.gif

Yes, lengthen the logout timer. Also reduce the amount of random events, because if you do idle for a long time, you're also likely to get randomed and killed. The logout timer protects from this, but we don't need this either anymore.

Yes, lengthen the logout timer. Also reduce the amount of random events, because if you do idle for a long time, you're also likely to get randomed and killed. The logout timer protects from this, but we don't need this either anymore.

your also most likely to die if you just go to get a water break cause random events are random they can come at any time even when you think there not going to get you. If you want to lenthen it how much cause posting.php?mode=quote&f=30&p=6323649#then that could cause some macros if lenthened to much

Mustangs407.png

I skipped over a few posts so I'm not sure if this is addressed, but early at the start of the topic someone mentioned a fact from the PvP servers. They could keep the logout timer, while normal severs could be implemented with a different (longer) version.

For the time limit to be changed, all randoms should become non lethal, and simple note your items/teleport you to a far away land if you don't react. Breaking axes should stay, as should losing fishing gear. These skills are to easy with a longer logout timer.

(note: the dwarf isn't a lethal event in my eyes, it gives you enough time to react, so tough luck if you die from that one)

As said before, the logout timer when playing is a different mechanism then the auto logout when you disconnect. This shouldn't be an argument against making the timer longer.

As for the lagg, there are plenty of servers that aren't even halfway filled. Offcourse if you wish to use a server with a special activity this might cause problems (server 1, 2, ...). However, just making the timer 30-60 seconds longer won't damage it that much. There's not much difference between 'difficult' and 'very difficult' getting in, and those few seconds would help the people browsing forums a lot.

It would also help for clans, when they follow in Clan Wars and forget to turn the mouse/press a key to stay logged in.

(I believe the timer was created as an anti-macro mechanism, similar to the world switch delay -which should also be removed- to go against auto-ing fishers. Making it so that people who do activities would defy the reason why they were created in the first place, so this is something Jagex would never do.)

Just answer this: What would it be useful for? Virtually all of the posts I've seen, including the OP, are talking about going to the bathroom, feeding the dog, getting a snack etc. - which is AGAINST THE RULES, and IMHO was the reason the logout timer was created. A macro is actually doing things, so a log out timer has nothing to do with that. Reading the forums is the only (feeble) excuse I've heard, but how many actions take longer then the minute timer besides combat, to which it doesn't apply? And for those that do, not that I can think of any, putting the RS window in the corner solves the problem nicely. There's just no use of lengthening the logout timer.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

The log out timer was NOT implemented to stop macroers and the like. It is that so that if/when your browser crashes, you press the back button on the mouse, or accidentally close your browser, you will be logged out (10 seconds after combat ends). It is also there so that if you do happen to accidentally leave the computer, you will not be taken away by randoms or killed by a wandering monster.

No, the log out timer should not be removed because these accidents are still in effect to this day.

EDIT: I know it was said before, but I don't see the discussion when it's still needed.

The log out timer was NOT implemented to stop macroers and the like. It is that so that if/when your browser crashes, you press the back button on the mouse, or accidentally close your browser, you will be logged out (10 seconds after combat ends). It is also there so that if you do happen to accidentally leave the computer, you will not be taken away by randoms or killed by a wandering monster.

No, the log out timer should not be removed because these accidents are still in effect to this day.

EDIT: I know it was said before, but I don't see the discussion when it's still needed.

If you know what you said before has already been said, why do you not realize that it has also been repeatedly said that the logout timer is different than breaking connection if your browser crashes?

ab38dfd9d8.png

bluehooloovo.png

bluehooloovo.png

[hide=]

The light at the end of the tunnel is the demon-infested lava pit.

blue = sad

hoo = who

loo = 100

vo = broken ice cream cone = sad children = sad babies = dead babies

bluehooloovo = sadwho100deadbabies = Who is sad about 100 dead babies?

I've cracked the code!

[/hide]Blog

taking OFF the timer would be a big no-no, because first everyone would end up in lumbridge/falador/whatever, no matter what theyre doing, and clog those palces up.

extending the timer would be great, but then theres the problem with disconnecting during combat

in my opinion, there should be an option to extend it to maybe 3 minutes (180 seconds) max, while showing a warning screen

warning players of the dangers of internet fails and randoms, and before you enter high-risk areas, such as metal dragons or any high level enemies, the timer being reset to the natural 90 seconds as well as another screen telling you this.

aaaand yeah >.>

I don't really see a problem with the current timer, but maybe 30 seconds longer wouldnt hurt. As someone said before it is a bit of a pain to be logged out after posting a reply or using the bathroom. If they removed it completely, the randoms that are in the game currently would kill you if you just stood around afk. Perhaps they could extend it depending on where you are?

ubermage2000.pngubermage2000.png

ubermage2000.png[ubermage2000.png

ubermage2000.png

-Barrows Drops- 1 Dharok's Helm,1 Ahrim's Robetop,1 Torag's Hammers, 1 Dragon Med

-GWD Drops- 1 Shard

-DK Drops- 7 Dragon Axes, 7 Berserker Rings, 7 Warrior Rings, 2 Archer Rings, 1 Dragon Med

It should stay because if you lag out at some high level monster that can kill you, it likely will kill you, thus you lose lots of coins worth of items. It also stops some macros if I'm correct, so if you like a AFK'ing type of game, then you can remove it.