Should the logout timer be removed?

runevirage

So, basically you think people should be able to stay logged in forever, therefore clogging up the servers more than we need. And don't say they wouldn't do that, they WOULD.

The timer's fine. The only change I would make is perhaps just a tad longer. (2 minutes?)

Why? The rules are against being away from the keyboard. So you hit the log out button when you go to feed the dog.

Thats all very well, but it's a hassle when you are trying to read forums.

That said, lengthening it would really mess up people whose windows close down, and need to log back quickly to grab stuff if they die.

I hate how everytime my character logs off after I have just came back from peeing.

Pee faster :lol:

Hail to The Great Big Penguin in the sky. And Guthix, of course.

Harbringerjm.gif

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be nice if it was an option like a toggle. Something that gives a warning about the dangers and tells the player what to expect. Granted there will be people that would abuse it, but for other more responsible players (say past a certain age) that would be a godsend for people that are willing to except the responsibility. If that future of random events is what Jagex has promised, then a longer logout sequence would be a decent thing to add for the dedicated players.

8-)

While I do hate the timer, I don't want it to be removed. If I leave the computer, I always logout, it's just safer and less haste in the long run. The only time I only expectantly logout is either loosing connection, which can't be helped, or if I'm browsing another window whilst fishing. What I would suggest is that when you have 15 seconds until you auto logout, a little sound plays, kinda like the sound when you get a new message on Skype (although it would have to be different) warning you. This could be adjustable as an individual setting in the sound settings, so you can always have the option to hear it, even if you play with music off, sound effects off, area sounds off etc.

Retired Tip.It Crew Mapper.

No, I don't think so. You get randoms way too often in the game to remove it. But they could certainly increase the time from 90 seconds to something around 200 seconds.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

I don't have a problem with the inactivity times in most cases. But in two particular instances it is FUBAR:

(1) fishing

(2) woodcutting

You should not be logged off for inactivity if you are actually doing something.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

The annoying thing is that you will get logged out before you finished a full inventory of sharks.

That's just plain wrong.

You shouldn't be logged doing a legal activity on runescape; that is fishing or woodcutting.

The countdown timer should in these situations start after you get a full inventory of fish/wood/etc.

Why do we have to keep clicking something when we are doing a normal activity on runescape? That just doesn't make sense.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

There is no reason for people to stay logged on forever without doing anything so there is no reason to get rid of it. Sure we go to the bathroom but you could always hit the log out button that way your sure you don't get a random or something. I realy can't see why they should take it away. Not to mention if people would just stay logged on with a skills interface open and maybe go watch TV and fall aslepe theres 1 extra player that is clogging the server. If you don't want the logout timer log off when you go to the bathroom or go play another game.

It's there for a reason. And if you want to break rules by going afk then why should you benefit of it? And how much seconds would it take for you to log out and then log in later? 10 seconds?

[404] Signature not found.

My main points are:

1) ALL other MMO's don't have a logout timer, at least not one so demanding as 90 seconds (which is effectively 60-75 seconds if you don't want to be constantly logged out). Macroing etc. are just as illegal in other MMO's as in RS, but those games don't deal with it in such a manner. Also, do you really think it stops macroers/afkers? Because it doesn't.

2) Logging on isn't hard or annoying. What's annoying is re-entering your bank pin, turning run back on, moving the camera to the right direction again, and moving back to the correct interface every time that you logout. This is fine the once or twice per day when you open up RS, but is it something you want to do half a dozen times per hour? Let's say you're checking a guide on aviansies, does it really help that you get logged out 10 times during that hour at which you're at aviansies, checking the forums for a guide?

3) To the people who say it shouldn't be removed, you really wouldn't appreciate an extra 2 or 3 minutes of space to check the forums or watch Youtube while you're doing a task like fishing or cooking?

My main points are:

1) ALL other MMO's don't have a logout timer, at least not one so demanding as 90 seconds (which is effectively 60-75 seconds if you don't want to be constantly logged out). Macroing etc. are just as illegal in other MMO's as in RS, but those games don't deal with it in such a manner. Also, do you really think it stops macroers/afkers? Because it doesn't.

2) Logging on isn't hard or annoying. What's annoying is re-entering your bank pin, turning run back on, moving the camera to the right direction again, and moving back to the correct interface every time that you logout. This is fine the once or twice per day when you open up RS, but is it something you want to do half a dozen times per hour? Let's say you're checking a guide on aviansies, does it really help that you get logged out 10 times during that hour at which you're at aviansies, checking the forums for a guide?

3) To the people who say it shouldn't be removed, you really wouldn't appreciate an extra 2 or 3 minutes of space to check the forums or watch Youtube while you're doing a task like fishing or cooking?

Other games don't have drop-on-death features that Runescape has. Remove the 3-item rule and make every item degrade like other MMO's and you'll be able to better compare the systems put in place to protect you from death.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Personally the only time it annoy me is when I'm wc or fishing. Smithing cannon balls takes longer than 90 sec too if I remember correctly. The engine just needs to be updated so that you aren't logged out when you do anything that gains xp. After you have a full load of resources such as fish or logs, or have processed a full load of resources, the normal 90 sec timer should start.

That just leaves combat. I don't think combat should be included in the "not logged out if gaining xp" thing because then people could afk for hours splashing or at the bandit camp. But the 90 sec timer makes killing monsters with no hp and high defense a pain, such as when you range black dragons. Because of this I think the timer should be something to the tune of 300 seconds without a button press for combat stats.

No, I don't see why it should be removed. Don't see why it should be extended either. Just log off, or you must be very addicted....

It's not about that (mainly). If you know you are coming back after a restroom break or whatever, I don't see how it symbolizes their addiction. For me, I found it very annoying having to re-enter my username and password and then having to re-enter my bank pin too. I know it sounds lazy, but its annoying when you shouldn't have to.

So I think that it shouldn't be removed, but there should be an option to remove it. But people would abuse it #-o

Keep a weight on a key rotating the map to keep logged in when afk for something like bathroom or getting food etc.

Anything reasonably heavy works. Standardized metric weight sets are ideal to put on a key but people don't just have those. I use a little cast steel guitar clock from Universal Studios :thumbup:

Tape usually does the trick aswell.

It stopped working for me :ohnoes:

it used to be like that, but (it could be just me) after about 15 seconds of turning to one direction, you are dissabled to do so. :wall:

ot: I'd really, really like an extended timer! 2min max though, I like the fact knowing my account is safe when I jump up to go watch the simpsons withouth having to worry about a random going at me

DERBO_PK.png

nice.jpg

derbo_pk.png

the timer is there for a reason, removing it might bring problems

What reason?

Obviously no.

But why?

person A and person B get some cheap armor and flowers

A and B go to a PVP single way combat hotspot

person A and B wail on each other with flowers, leaving their computers on overnight

A and B junk pk each other subsequently after amassing 24 hour's worth of PVP drop potential from a hotspot zone

and of course person A and B could do the same thing with earth strike splashing, getting massive drop potential while training magic for no effort at all

^^ that's why

To bad while in combat yo you stay logged in indefinitely :lol:

patr1ckotg1.png

the timer is there for a reason, removing it might bring problems

however i wouldnt mind having a "oh snap bathroom break" button (that isnt the logout button)

I'd like that too. Some sort of 'Pause' - no randoms, no actions, until you click the 'Resume' button.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

I wonder if they can do something similar to this, but sign you off when the window closes. I think it already does this unless you're engaged in combat.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

ok say they remove the logout timer. put yourself in this senario. you just made it to the steel dragons to train some mage. your windows decides to update and your runescape applet freezes. because theres no logout timer theres a 100% chance you are dead. but with the logout timer your account will log out safely but still a slight chance of death. the logout timer saves lives

Dragon Drops: 5 medium helmet, 3 left shield half

Obby: Maul 1, Cape 1, Shield 1

I hate how everytime my character logs off after I have just came back from peeing.

To all those having problems peeing and playing Runescape, you should invest in a laptop, a wireless router, and play on the toilet. Problem solved.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

What I would suggest is that when you have 15 seconds until you auto logout, a little sound plays, kinda like the sound when you get a new message on Skype (although it would have to be different) warning you. This could be adjustable as an individual setting in the sound settings, so you can always have the option to hear it, even if you play with music off, sound effects off, area sounds off etc.

I really liked this suggestion. JaGEx has always been very much against afk playing, so I don't think they are going to extend the logout timer too much. I also think the logout timer is good for logging you out when your computer freezes. With a logout warning sound coming maybe five seconds before the logout, anybody multitasking on the computer would have plenty of time to switch to the RS window and click on something.

I also agree, that players should be allowed to go afk for a short while to visit the bathroom or to grab something to eat without having to log in and input the bank pin again. I would suggest a pause button, that would stop your training and prevent random events from occuring and log you out in five minutes if you don't resume the game. Also, if possible programming wise, when you resume the game you would automatically try to continue the last action you were doing, so you would finish fletching your load of bows or try to chop the tree spot you were facing. This would provide a means for players to take small breaks with minimal disruption to exp gaining without afk training and without the fear of random events. The pause button could be placed next to the logout button for example.

Rao.png

ok say they remove the logout timer. put yourself in this senario. you just made it to the steel dragons to train some mage. your windows decides to update and your runescape applet freezes. because theres no logout timer theres a 100% chance you are dead. but with the logout timer your account will log out safely but still a slight chance of death. the logout timer saves lives

You're using a rather extreme and rare example, doing that can pretty much justify anything. I can justify not having a bank pin by saying what if there was a really good merchanting offer that only lasted a few seconds and because you had to input your bank pin before withdrawing your coins you couldn't offer the trade in time. Also, many other alternative exist, you can make it voluntary, such as using a pause button (no ability to interact with the game, but all of your settings are kept intact and you don't have to re-enter your pin), or being able to toggle it (so you can have a logout timer while you're at steel dragons, and then turn it off while you're cooking or something).

To all those having problems peeing and playing Runescape, you should invest in a laptop, a wireless router, and play on the toilet. Problem solved.

So every time nature calls you have to lug a 5 pound laptop around your house and then back? C'mon, there's much more elegant solutions.

Mm, yes it's annoying logging out every few minutes when I don't pay attention while fishing or mining, but it's there for a good reason, allaala. Like those gargoyle scares I had today :D

aporia.png

95/99 Summoning

95/99 Slayer

[hide=This is what you look like when you play RS too long]2vvq0z4.jpg[/hide]