The Tooth Incident!

Lionheart_0

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've put heavy thought and consideration into this following post.

As for as this threads content it is silly yes, but people had fun, I looked at the first page and saw TONS of serious topics vs fun, we never locked the drawball topic , Aspies on Tip.it, prank calls and other harmful and humorous threads. Overall I see lots of good mature threads and some for fun, so I dont see the need and have never *understood* the need to spam "spam omgz" on a topic.

As far as elitism or cliques, Tip.it has had cliques since 01, I should know I was a part of them way back then for those who were around, not so much now, it's ironic some who mentioned cliques at one point as a user I felt were in one themselves. Off topic has never been perfect, I remember vaguely it was bashed in 01-03 for being too "Fun" and later on for being strict, finding the perfect groove is without a doubt challenging. Although I wont admit I read off topic, I was always more of a general man myself, I think the current topics have improved from what they were in recent memory. 144 pages on is god real, 10+ on breastfeeding, sex and the gaza strip, homosexuality and thats just on the first page. There was a time I remember when most of those topics were disallowed - why being irrelevant as depending on the era the blame either lies within the staff or the users maturity, But i'm not so sure how topics can be more mature or serious or even discussion worthy. I'll admit, I'm suprised the breastfeeding thread has went on as long as it has.

Next up on my mind is favoritism. It doesnt happen. I'll tell you now this thread did not stay open because of the author - but because the staff who saw it felt it was lighthearted and fun and people were having fun with it. if a mod actually broke a rule, I myself can speak on behalf of the adminstration and say they would be reprimanded and not allowed to do what they please. As a clan guy my entire platform is unbiased moderation with a section for the users - by the users.

Lastly, I'm leaving the replies that got this thread locked, if I remove them, they look horribly out of context and this reply will make less sense than it does now with them.

Rab - A former Adminstrator here said to me in 2001 - Tip.it is what you make it, as a user you define what the forum is - Think a thread sucks, don't post and it will plummet - One mans favorite thread annoys the other.

every topic will never please everyone, So I ask you to be tolerant - Think a thread breaks the rules - Report it. Think it sucks? Go on to the next topic and let it die, Like it or wanna debate? Post away? Think they all suck, start your own topic and lets see how well yours does ;)

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Das must be tired from all that thinking.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Locked due to popular demand.

Thanks for the few sigs and comics, but it seems this cannot be anymore.

Lionheart_0

OT Mod

Its not locked, did Das just pull rank and undo your locking? I hope your not angry at him or anything, it could potentially be quite upsetting for a mod...

Are you trying to cause a war?

I'm sorry, but that's what it looks like.

Lionheart shouldn't feel upset, not at all.

He didn't even have to lock it in the first place, the only reason why he locked it was because of some users their flaming.

Das unlocked it and wrote that reply because we support him.

Would there be so much flaming and annoying comments if Lionheart wasn't a moderator?

I think there wouldn't.

If users (Staff are still users who want to have fun on this board) want to have fun without harming others, let it be, don't flame.

There are many simular topics which remained open.

summersignature.png angel2w.gif

"A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do"

[Currently playing: K1ll L1f3]

Lionheart_0

OT Mod

Its not locked, did Das just pull rank and undo your locking? I hope your not angry at him or anything, it could potentially be quite upsetting for a mod...

He didn't even have to lock it in the first place, the only reason why he locked it was because of some users their flaming.

Would there be so much flaming and annoying comments if Lionheart wasn't a moderator?

I think there wouldn't.

If users (Staff are still users who want to have fun on this board) want to have fun without harming others, let it be, don't flame.

Don't stomp on my compassion. I just hope this silly cartoon isn't going to turn into a little tip.it revolution, where the board members go and make their own forum (advice.it) while the staff remain and make awesome cartoons together.

NICKELEY102.png

Lionheart_0

OT Mod

I think there wouldn't.

Don't stomp on my compassion. I just hope this silly cartoon isn't going to turn into a little tip.it revolution, where the board members go and make their own forum (advice.it) while the staff remain and make awesome cartoons together.

Holy hell guy. You have made me realise something very important. This little cartoon will more than definately start a revolution. Woah, I mean, it is UNACCEPTABLE to allow something not confronting a moral issue such as What you had for breakfast, a delicious thread in itself. It is unacceptable that an ADMIN of this site can choose what to do with it, and it's most certainly up to compassionate users like you to show WHO'S BOSS. People come to OFF TOPIC definately for runescape advice, and I truly agree with your concern of the upcoming revolution. God speed Jason.

Which compassion?

I didn't read any compassion.

It's more of a mocking message.

If a regular users his thread gets unlocked, will you reply with 'Oh, poor you, your thread got unlocked'? I don't think so.

Its not locked

I think he can see that for himself.

did Das just pull rank and undo your locking

Das did not pull rank, simply because any moderator could unlock this :roll:

Rank had nothing to do with it.

I hope your not angry at him or anything, it could potentially be quite upsetting for a mod...

That's laying words in his mouth and trying to evoke things.

So again, which compassion?

the staff remain and make awesome cartoons together

Everyone could participate in the creation of this cartoon, that's why it was posted in public.

For it to be seen, discussed and participated.

If it was a staff-only thing, he would have made it in a board away from users.

That being said, I'm going to let this rest and hope it can be a fun thread for everyone (or a lot) again.

summersignature.png angel2w.gif

"A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do"

[Currently playing: K1ll L1f3]

I don't get what's so hard to understand. Das is not a "Big meanie" (I know that's not what you said but that's the impression you're giving me) unlocking his thread. It isn't upsetting. Lionheart did the right thing by locking the thread, and Das did the right thing by cleaning it up and unlocking it. This dispute you're making up never happened.

C2b6gs7.png

WALLOFTEXT

I'm seriously quite happy with this decision. Although I can understand exactly why Lionheart did what he did, I felt it unnecessary to have this thread locked. OT would be boring if we were only allowed serious (cough) threads. That's not to say that I only support threads of humorous inanity, but it's nice to have a balance between the humorous threads and the more frivolous threads. Good decision, Das. :thumbup:

And nickeley, for Christ's sake, shut the hell up.

Cool.

I don't think warri0r or I ever called for the thread to be locked, either. As I said, I'm all for light-hearted threads, I just think this one specifically is pointless. But if the admins want to meddle, it is your site after all. Do what you like.

I still maintain that this would have been locked long ago had some TIF newbie posted it. Reputation speaks here, whether you like it or not.

I didnt even know this thread existed until it was locked. as i've said before, I dont really venture to off topic much but the thread was brought to my attention. So i gave it a look and generally spent a few hours looking over the forum and was pleased with the level of discussion i saw. myself I like humor, granted this may not be funny to all, but off topic humor works for some as much as breastfeeding does for some. it a careful balance. Right now off the top of my head, I cant even name the topic starter, i assume it a mod since people say thats why the thread is around, but i can say, i dont *care* who locked a thread.

personally I may going into my personal agenda but i always thought locking duplicating topics was overly harsh and albiet stupid, who cares if we have two topics on favorite kind of dogs, one will die, one will rise, naturual selection is my favorite method of moderation/adminstration. if anyone feels a legitimate funny/serious thread was locked because of a person not being known, pm me the title and i will review it and either unlock it or tell you why it not unlocked.

as for pulling rank - I dont really tend to flaunt mine and i consider myself a user first, moderator second, admin third. as a user, i was annoyed this thread was locked and felt it was un-needed, as a moderator, I understood it could go both ways, as an admin after serious discusion and forethought - i chose to unlock it. Lion did nothing wrong in locking the thread and my unlocking was not meant or designed to make people see or feel otherwise, he does a fine job and this thread displays that to me.

I would like to see off topic achieve a natural state of enjoyment at all, i've seen it on other messageboards that are not related to runescape and think off topic has room for humor,serious buisness and anything under the sun that doesnt apply to the game of runescape.

Dont get me wrong I dont want to see this degrade into a /b/, which I felt it was heading down that path long before this thread was made, and I dont want to see this evolve into a serious debate club either. I am looking for an unquantifable balance of humor and serious buisness, and I think we all will know when we hit it.

~Das

Edit: Forgive the spelling, Posting via a cell phone kind of sucks because my fingers are bigger than the keys.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Well said. =D>

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

And nickeley, for Christ's sake, shut the hell up.

No deal

Maybe I did go a bit off-topic (so to speak), but to be fair this thread was 90% irrelevant long before I arrived.

[hide=]

Lionheart_0

OT Mod

I think there wouldn't.

Holy hell guy. You have made me realise something very important. This little cartoon will more than definately start a revolution. Woah, I mean, it is UNACCEPTABLE to allow something not confronting a moral issue such as What you had for breakfast, a delicious thread in itself. It is unacceptable that an ADMIN of this site can choose what to do with it, and it's most certainly up to compassionate users like you to show WHO'S BOSS. People come to OFF TOPIC definately for runescape advice, and I truly agree with your concern of the upcoming revolution. God speed Jason.

[/hide]

Maybe I was taking the Michael the whole time (which I thought was obvious), why cant I spread my own kind of fun in this thread which you are so proud to label 'light-hearted'? So thank you hiimben for also taking the Michael out of me, light-heartedly of course.

Do you see how seriously mods take their jobs? this thread has been poured over multiple times and now you are pouncing on anyone who you think is being contrary to tip.its degree of seriousness-humour ratio. Do you see how a mod could potentially be upset when they take their job so seriously and their actions are undone, by one of their own

NICKELEY102.png

Do you see how seriously mods take their jobs? this thread has been poured over multiple times and now you are pouncing on anyone who you think is being contrary to tip.its degree of seriousness-humour ratio. Do you see how a mod could potentially be upset when they take their job so seriously and their actions are undone, by one of their own

Incorrect.

The mod team are very close knit, we're all friends and we take our job seriously enough to enforce the rules when needed.

You're the only person that seems to care that Das unlocked the thread, I doubt Lionheart gives any sort of a damn about it, he understands Das's reasons, plus, so what, it's only a thread on a gaming forum.

You can't just say you were being sarcastic when someone challenges you, and your 'kind of fun' is just malicious and needlessly provoking, trollish, in short.

spacescenev24.jpg

In order to maintain an environment that promotes ease in the exchange of information, spamming is prohibited. Spamming includes posting entire messages using excessive formatting (all caps), posting the same message repeatedly, cross posting the same message in multiple forums, making pointless threads or replies (such as "+1" posts)...

I see mcneil's post wasn't removed, despite me reporting it.

I would appeal to an admin, only, it would rather seem pointless given the post was essentially sucking up to an admin.

For me the word moderation has always meant discrection.

Take a look at say the tip.it times article discussions, very few are more than I liked/dislike them, if you want to be super strict, thats nothing more than pages of +1 / -1. Kind of bland.

As far as off topic, whats purposeful?

It's all perspective.

I am not bashing any of these threads, I think they *All* fit into off topic and are quality threads, merely using them to illustrate a point.

" NFL Super Bowl-Post who you think will make it and or win.. " It's just sports, It doesn't impact our lives and is nothing more than entertainment - Yet it is something people like to discuss. This thread provides entertainment as well

"Funniest teachers and subs " I don't see groundbreaking discussion and see lots of humor - Isnt it sort of meaningless?

"Do you sit strangely? " Who cares -- really?

"What's your boss like? " - My boss is awesome, but why do I need to tell you, what purpose does that serve?

"The Offical TIF American Elections thread " Who cares - Because both candidates suck.

And i'm sure some people honestly feel

"Breastfeeding" - It doesnt have any pictures what good is that?

However those topics are popular and do serve a purpose (And NO, no pictures in the breastfeeding thread :P )

Some other things I wanted to say but alas have problems multi-quoting on my cell.

I don't think warri0r or I ever called for the thread to be locked, either.

I named no names, I never said you did, not too sure why you felt the urge to rectify yourself.

it would rather seem pointless given the post was essentially sucking up to an admin.

Let it be known I seldom speak to mcneilp, I do what I do because I feel it's right. I go by the adage of "What is right is not always popular, what is popular is not always right". I don't feel it's right to remove his post. Mainly because that rule wasn't enforced nor did anyone bother to report other replies in this thread. As for sucking up?

I mean how anal are we going to get about the pointless reply thread - Pretty sure I could delete half of the posts in this forum - or at least a big chunk of blogscape ;)

~Das

Abraham Lincoln

For me the word moderation has always meant discrection.

Take a look at say the tip.it times article discussions, very few are more than I liked/dislike them, if you want to be super strict, thats nothing more than pages of +1 / -1. Kind of bland.

As far as off topic, whats purposeful?

It's all perspective.

I am not bashing any of these threads, I think they *All* fit into off topic and are quality threads, merely using them to illustrate a point.

" NFL Super Bowl-Post who you think will make it and or win.. " It's just sports, It doesn't impact our lives and is nothing more than entertainment - Yet it is something people like to discuss. This thread provides entertainment as well

"Funniest teachers and subs " I don't see groundbreaking discussion and see lots of humor - Isnt it sort of meaningless?

"Do you sit strangely? " Who cares -- really?

"What's your boss like? " - My boss is awesome, but why do I need to tell you, what purpose does that serve?

"The Offical TIF American Elections thread " Who cares - Because both candidates suck.

And i'm sure some people honestly feel

"Breastfeeding" - It doesnt have any pictures what good is that?

Some threads might have little to no care-factor or relevance to given people, but all of those have some point or topic for discussion. The idea that the entire "point" of this thread is posting a cartoon and asking for discussion is ridiculous, and that's the reason why some people are questioning it and asking why it wasn't locked. Evidently, it was locked, but that's not because anyone admitted it was pointless, it was because of "popular demand".

Theoretically, under this precedent, I could post any cartoon and ask for discussion right now.

How about this one:

[hide=]bus.png

See? He wasn't a real cop. Let's discuss this.[/hide]

That's exactly what I see when I read the OP. As expected, the discussion value thereafter was virtually zero. Just skim through the thread again if you don't believe me.

By the way, as ginger said, I'm not asking for this to be locked, I'm just explaining why some people (myself included) questioned the thread.

What's worse is YOU DID GO THE WAY OF THE LUCAS AND YOU OVER MILKED THIS!!!

Actually, that's more the way of EA.

I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

So because a few people question this thread, the whole world is flipped upside down. Mods defending mods, admins defending mods, everyone getting defensive over a little thread with a cartoon. Obviously something must be going on that all these people have flocked in defending each other.

If it was the right decision to unlock the thread then there would be no need to point fingers and etc.

And to unspam

2008-209P--terrible-odds-24th.gif

newsigzl2.jpg

^Sir Jem 05-The Bunny Drinking Blog?^ Click it!

tetsupportsig2.jpg

Sorry Im Late! Internet Traffic was horrible. ::'

I only just read the story and i gotta say, that realy made my day. :thumbsup:

as for this "Commotion", comon guys, we've had plenty of stories told on Off Topic, i mean isnt that what Off Topic is? Were a community and as such we should get along, laugh together and potentionally get drunk or in Ben's Case battle a "Wild Mother Bear (Level- 12)"

I say lets get back on topic, forget all this aruementation and enjoy. 8-)

Popoto.~<3

god that's an awesome cyanide and happiness, warrior.

so, i blame this thread for a dream i had last night. i don't remember much of it, except that my brother-in-law, my sister (his wife), my other sister, and i were on a bus somewhere in mississippi i think, and there was some other dude too, i forget his role. but we had to stop somewhere for some reason, and we ended up seeing some bears. all i remember after that is my bro-in-law headlocking a bear, while i shot the bear with a shotgun, then i yelled at my bro-in-law HEADLOCK ANOTHER BEAR. it's entirely this thread's fault, and i apologize i don't remember more.

edit: ah crap, double post, didn't notice i had the last post on this thread >< sorry.

[hide=WOO TEXT! updated Jan 19, 2009 (last quote)]

And Evil you mad bastard. You are definately bringing TET back up to it's glory. No doubt about it. Keep it going champ.

24,485th to 99 defence on 7-23-08

I always forget you're 20 too. I always think you're 25 or something. o.o

Ya think that I'm insane, Its not sane... its not sane

obligitory devart link: http://evil-mumm-ra.deviantart.com/

Pogonophobia is the fear of beards.

She isn't naked so it's legal.
I'm a porn star.
[/hide]