Help put an end to junk trading

magzar

If all trading outside the GE was banned, which is the only solution to Junk Tading

That's not true in the least...there are multiple things that can be done by JaGex to get rid of junk trading...a few of which have already been posted in this thread.

The absolute easiest fix (and it confuses me as to why it hasn't been implemented yet), that would solve half of the problem for now, is to install either an npc or a function of the grand exchange that allows you to sell anything at 10 or 15% below market price instantly - ESPECIALLY/AT LEAST for items that have price floors.

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

First annual Clausmas - 2009 December 25

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree with almost everything you said soma

The one thing that i think people don't understand is that even though they disagree with the prices set on the g.e., these are the prices they are forces to use for items whether they like it or not

so when they sell their junk it is worth the price they sell it for, not their conceived price of the item.

So their profit is in real world value, and not in monetary gain.(an increase in your overall net worth, net worth being the total value of your bank)

The only profit you can possibly make in trading rares player to player, even alone is 60k. All in all, the higher the value, the more profitable it becomes to trade it via the grand exchange in comparison to player to player trading due to the wider range of possible prices. The reason behind this is because player to player trading does not allow the player to buy or sell at that 5% above or below. By this reasoning, Any item with a cost who's 5% range comes out to above 60k should be sold on the grand exchange if the player wants to make a monetary profit as opposed to a real world profit.

Also considering most players say that junk is overpriced, then why are they loathe to sell it to general stores for more than they think it is worth? this would allow them to liquidate their junk, for a decent amount of coins instead of using it in a faulty trade system. overall it comes back to an example like this.

item GE price = 20m

item street price = 100m

selling item with 80m of junk yields a huge real world profit obviously due to the fact you now have coins that you can actually use

however you do not increase your bank value and therefore do not make a monetary profit

but if you acquired this item by luck and sold it on the grand exchange,

5% of 20m is 1m

so selling this item on the GE gains a real world profit of 21m, and a monetary profit of 1m

if you then bought another at median price or lower and sold it back at max, you again make monetary profit even though you are using ge prices that most people consider to be far off.

In this sense a player does not lose money as is commonly thought, by trading their rares on the GE, instead they have the potential to make millions. The difference now is that they have to find another way to rid themselves of junk.

Personally i am far more interested in large increases in my total bank value than I am in trading in my junk for coins and even at the underpriced values of the GE it is still not only possible to make large profits, but with patience and a little luck, guaranteed.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

The Grand Exchange was made to be kept at "Player's price" and well some items are not the price of the player's desire so they use junk trades to balence it out I like the junk trades mainly because would you sell d claws for 12-13m in ge? or find out you have a lot of scrolls/pouchs from summoning which do not sell, and put them in the trade with the claws boosting your money made? I mean who's going to say no to extra money through unuseable stuff in their bank?

Thievingcapesigcopy.png

Jeffery.png

180th to 99 Divination + 1st W36er

Rambo, cannot pk call your friends bro :). Wait nevermind none of SAPK/PKS can. Kappa.

The Grand Exchange was made to be kept at "Player's price" and well some items are not the price of the player's desire so they use junk trades to balence it out I like the junk trades mainly because would you sell d claws for 12-13m in ge? or find out you have a lot of scrolls/pouchs from summoning which do not sell, and put them in the trade with the claws boosting your money made? I mean who's going to say no to extra money through unuseable stuff in their bank?

James You're not making extra money you're trading goods for their exact value

You have no increase in bank value and so therefore no profit

if you sold it at 13m on the grand exchange(max price)

you increase your bank value by 650k

that's 650k profit instead of just exchanging one ting for it's equivalent of another

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

The one thing that i think people don't understand is that even though they disagree with the prices set on the g.e., these are the prices they are forces to use for items whether they like it or not

so when they sell their junk it is worth the price they sell it for, not their conceived price of the item.

So their profit is in real world value, and not in monetary gain.(an increase in your overall net worth, net worth being the total value of your bank)

The only profit you can possibly make in trading rares player to player, even alone is 60k. All in all, the higher the value, the more profitable it becomes to trade it via the grand exchange in comparison to player to player trading due to the wider range of possible prices. The reason behind this is because player to player trading does not allow the player to buy or sell at that 5% above or below. By this reasoning, Any item with a cost who's 5% range comes out to above 60k should be sold on the grand exchange if the player wants to make a monetary profit as opposed to a real world profit.

Also considering most players say that junk is overpriced, then why are they loathe to sell it to general stores for more than they think it is worth? this would allow them to liquidate their junk, for a decent amount of coins instead of using it in a faulty trade system. overall it comes back to an example like this.

item GE price = 20m

item street price = 100m

selling item with 80m of junk yields a huge real world profit obviously due to the fact you now have coins that you can actually use

however you do not increase your bank value and therefore do not make a monetary profit

5% of 20m is 1m

so selling this item on the GE gains a real world profit of 21m, and a monetary profit of 1m

if you then bought another at median price or lower and sold it back at max, you again make monetary profit even though you are using ge prices that most people consider to be far off.

In this sense a player does not lose money as is commonly thought, by trading their rares on the GE, instead they have the potential to make millions. The difference now is that they have to find another way to rid themselves of junk.

Personally i am far more interested in large increases in my total bank value than I am in trading in my junk for coins and even at the underpriced values of the GE it is still not only possible to make large profits, but with patience and a little luck, guaranteed.

So you decide to just ignore my answer?

Anyway, you fail to see that there is no point in having 100M in monetary value, if 80M of that vlue is things that people never buy.

And please tell me the tricks to buy an item at mid, that you cant even get for max, with an offer in for days, hell, even weeks.

item GE price = 20m

item street price = 100m

5% of 20m is 1m

So you decide to just ignore my answer?

Anyway, you fail to see that there is no point in having 100M in monetary value, if 80M of that vlue is things that people never buy.

And please tell me the tricks to buy an item at mid, that you cant even get for max, with an offer in for days, hell, even weeks.

oh no i totally see that having 80m in junk has no practical use

which is why i say don't accumulate 80m in junk

liquidate it for the coins

and the trick is if people used the g.e. ;)

then buying and selling on it would be, if not quite a breeze, at least easily feasible

you have to realize that i'm not saying that it's easy to do now

i'm presenting the possible outcome of people switching from using junk, to using the g.e.

i mean surely you can see how much more profitable it would be if everyone bought and sold on the g.e. right?

i'm well aware you would lose a bit of money selling junk to general stores, but it's not like people don't already know that skilling costs money, but i mean really if maple long(u) is 144 on the g.e. and 128 max in a general store

it's not really that much of a difference(do you bother picking up gold from monsters that drop as little as 16 gold at a time)

and if you cut the logs yourself then you're still showing positive gain overall(though there is a drop in net worth due to having to sell below market value)

all in all in a world where people used the g.e. it would be far better to liquidate junk and buy and sell rares on the g.e.

far far far far far more profit potential

[hide]

[/hide]

the sad truth magzar, is that noone will ever buy these junk items. people dont buy useless items unless needed for a quest; and even then its only 1 or 2 at a time. and selling these items at shops, the price drops fast to you bet almost nothing

the reason people use junk is it accumulates over time and they jump at an opportunity to offload it. in their eyes, and most others, the junk has no value. it is simply a token to boost a trade valua. the people who buy junked items are not paying for junk, in their eyes, but an item that cant be bought on ge.

if you had 30m of junk and got an item that needed junk would you seriously still sell it on the ge, when you have a chance to get rid of junk? if you would sell it on the ge, you are an idiot

and if you would sell it with junk you are a hipocrite

which is it

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

I do agree with you to some extent, but you are wrong about thinking you can sell all your bows at 128 each. The price goes down if you sell more, you know.

yeh that's why i said 128 max

and walka you're still missing the point

i would never accumulate 30m worth of junk

i would liquidate the junk as i made it to minimize the loss of value through selling to general stores

and yes i would still sell that item on the g.e. because that way it would make me a profit

i know people won't buy the junk items

but say you're fletching maple longbows(u)

you fletch a load and sell it to a general store, and repeat

or to further minimize loss you fletch a load sell it at the general store

fletch another load and sell it to another store

i know this would slow things down a lot

but if people are "clever" enough to come up with things luke junk trading and the tzhaar transfer trick i'm pretty sure they could find ways to minimize loss through selling to general stores

such as world hopping selling to different stores etc.

[hide]

[/hide]

This thread is hilarious. I don't think you even understand exactly what junk is supposed to do. If a person is selling X item with 3m of junk, it's only purpose is to move more gps. Selling the item with 3m of junk means he gained 3m more gps then he would have, had he listened to jagex prices. If the buyer "doens't want all that junk" in his bank, drop it! So many of you complain about having all this [cabbage] junk clogging their bank after trades. You don't understand, that junk was only supposed to move more gps, that is it.

Megzar, you don't seem to understand that if you want to buy dragon claws for 150k (for example) but thousands more are perfectly willing to buy claws for 25m, no one will sell to you. You keep stating that Rare items should be available to everyone, but this is not true. Rare items should and will be available to those ready and willing to pay the price. Yes, merchants will always try to make money on these items. But the fact is there are more players willing to pay 350m cash for a divine spirit shield then there are spirit shields in the game. Yet you seem to think that because Jagex priced it at 85m, anyone with 85m gps should be able to buy it.

Junk trading is only a tool used to move more gps in a trade. Don't want to junk trade? go to bh.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

Magzar, you have an item that cost you 500k + 10 hours of work to get, and you are one of perhaps 100 players who can get the item.

The GE prices the item at 300K.

It is a godly good item that you enjoy using.

Would you sell it for the 315k the GE permits?

My guess is no. Because I know I wouldn't, nor would any sane person. I'd rather keep the item and use it myself, or wait until the price raises. Or if I get two of the items... why not sell it to my friend? There may be ten thousand people out there trying to buy it off the GE at the 300k price, because they KNOW it's worth more than that. And I know it. If I'm going to be throwing away all this value, I might as well do it as a favor to someone I know.

I have no incentive, yes, NONE, to sell it on the GE. The 15K I'd gain from selling via the GE versus selling via trade is nothing, nothing compared to the 500k I spent and 10 hours of work. So everyone keeps it / sells to friends / waits. Guess what? The price doesn't change.

In some instances, it's not too bad. Dragon Claws occasionally get coinshared and that accelerates the price fixture. But what about the spirit shields? Right now I'm more than willing to hand over all my cash for a Divine or Elysian spirit shield, which, for your information, far exceeds the grand exchange value. Yes, selling through the GE means you may gain another few million... but when you're dealing with amounts such as 100M coins, the 5M loss is minor... considering most people are willing to pay 400M+ for it if possible. Most people who do manage to get a Divine or Elysian Sigil in a drop sell it to their friend.

This is why the GE is broken. There's is no reason whatsoever for us to want to sell the item on the Grand Exchange if the price is incorrect. "Fixing the price" does us no good if we sold the item to get there... sold the item at the WRONG price to get there.

Jagex needs to provide a method to get the full value out of the junk items.

This was briefly in place when the Varrock Diaries came out - you could sell bulk items to the Bandit Camp shop and get full high alch value for every item - not just the first one. I personally dumped loads of stuff before they reversed course and pulled this out.

Now, I am not in favor of junk trading at all. I just think we need better ways to monetize junk. If there were ways for people to conveniently monetize their junk, then people wouldn't be shoveling it off onto other people via junk trades.

The RS economy is full of product and there is really no proper escape valve to liquidate that product. It keeps building up, clogging the pipes and passing from person to person in the form of junk.

It wouldn't fix the stuck GE, but it would put and end to the musical chairs game known as junk trading.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Ok, lets say somehow junk trading is 100% removed from the game. What will that do? That will only force players to use some other way to boost/lower trade prices on rarer items. No more junk trading? fine we will use bh, or the party room, or use the ge(hard to explain how...), or some other way to get around incorrect prices.

Fact of the matter is, items are either priced wrong, or simply change price faster then the ge can keep up with. I am not saying that fixing ge prices will fix the junk trading "problem", because it won't. I am simply stating the fact that junk trading is a way to a means, a way to get items true value without taking a loss by selling in the ge.

I and several others have debunked this definition of profit several times already both with a dictionary definition and the complete decimation of your idiotic profit equation.

i would liquidate the junk as i made it to minimize the loss of value through selling to general stores

and yes i would still sell that item on the g.e. because that way it would make me a profit

Wait, so selling it at the GE price (which is what you do in a junk trade) really is profit? You're contradicting yourself and ignoring/trying to debunk legitimate arguments so much that this is getting to be hilarious.

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

This thread is hilarious. I don't think you even understand exactly what junk is supposed to do. If a person is selling X item with 3m of junk, it's only purpose is to move more gps. Selling the item with 3m of junk means he gained 3m more gps then he would have, had he listened to jagex prices. If the buyer "doens't want all that junk" in his bank, drop it! So many of you complain about having all this [cabbage] junk clogging their bank after trades. You don't understand, that junk was only supposed to move more gps, that is it.

Megzar, you don't seem to understand that if you want to buy dragon claws for 150k (for example) but thousands more are perfectly willing to buy claws for 25m, no one will sell to you. You keep stating that Rare items should be available to everyone, but this is not true. Rare items should and will be available to those ready and willing to pay the price. Yes, merchants will always try to make money on these items. But the fact is there are more players willing to pay 350m cash for a divine spirit shield then there are spirit shields in the game. Yet you seem to think that because Jagex priced it at 85m, anyone with 85m gps should be able to buy it.

Junk trading is only a tool used to move more gps in a trade. Don't want to junk trade? go to bh.

artemis read the entire thread before posting

[hide]

[/hide]

I and several others have debunked this definition of profit several times already both with a dictionary definition and the complete decimation of your idiotic profit equation.

Wait, so selling it at the GE price (which is what you do in a junk trade) really is profit? You're contradicting yourself and ignoring/trying to debunk legitimate arguments so much that this is getting to be hilarious.

acenator

that "idiotic" profit definition is the mathematical formula for profit

you can't debunk a formula

and no selling at g.e. price isn't profit

but selling it below is a slight loss

which you would understand is exactly what i said if you had the reading comprehension of a 4th grader

a slight loss from selling junk to stores doesn't cancel out large profits from g.e. trading though especially since using the g.e. to sell rares would raise their market values allowing for even larger profit margins

obviously if you could just sell your junk at g.e. prices it would be preferable, but you can't so the best option is to liquidate for as much as you can while making profit off your rares on the g.e.

and soma yeh i would probably hold the item for a bit while the price rose

but if the g.e. was being used then that would happen quickly

but still selling with junk makes you no profit so it's not like you're helping yourself if you do

you're selling your junk, you're not selling your rare for more than it's worth

but if it was a 300k item i would probably sell it for 360k through player to player to maximize my profit

i did say that any item with a %5 margin of more than 60k makes more profit on g.e. anything less has a higher profit through player to player

i agree the prices need some updating

but jagex is never going to raise rares to street prices because no one agrees on street prices

there's just a general range

and i agree they should bring bach the bandit camp shop buying at alch value

seriously the point people aren't getting though

and that i can't stress enough is that junk has a value in coins

even though it has no use

and the coin value is what is used in determining profit

so you're not changing the price of your rare by selling it with junk

you're just selling your junk

it's a GREAT method just to liquidate your junk

but it does nothing so far as making profit or affecting the price of rares

and personally i have no junk, and i want to make profit off any rares i get

since i have nothing to liquidate, any rare i sell on the g.e. is pure profit for me

btw artemis i get that it moves more gp in a trade

i'm not disputing that

what i'm saying is that it makes no profit, and that it doesn't allow the price of rares to rise

so it keeps the amount of profit possible from ever rising

and like i said, if i'm selling a rare, i want profit

[hide]

[/hide]

Magzar, you have an item that cost you 500k + 10 hours of work to get, and you are one of perhaps 100 players who can get the item.

My guess is no. Because I know I wouldn't, nor would any sane person. I'd rather keep the item and use it myself, or wait until the price raises. Or if I get two of the items... why not sell it to my friend? There may be ten thousand people out there trying to buy it off the GE at the 300k price, because they KNOW it's worth more than that. And I know it. If I'm going to be throwing away all this value, I might as well do it as a favor to someone I know.

I have no incentive, yes, NONE, to sell it on the GE. The 15K I'd gain from selling via the GE versus selling via trade is nothing, nothing compared to the 500k I spent and 10 hours of work. So everyone keeps it / sells to friends / waits. Guess what? The price doesn't change.

In some instances, it's not too bad. Dragon Claws occasionally get coinshared and that accelerates the price fixture. But what about the spirit shields? Right now I'm more than willing to hand over all my cash for a Divine or Elysian spirit shield, which, for your information, far exceeds the grand exchange value. Yes, selling through the GE means you may gain another few million... but when you're dealing with amounts such as 100M coins, the 5M loss is minor... considering most people are willing to pay 400M+ for it if possible. Most people who do manage to get a Divine or Elysian Sigil in a drop sell it to their friend.

This is why the GE is broken. There's is no reason whatsoever for us to want to sell the item on the Grand Exchange if the price is incorrect. "Fixing the price" does us no good if we sold the item to get there... sold the item at the WRONG price to get there.

Oh i Just love your posts <3:

I find it really sad that a really cool addition like the corporal beast isnt used to it's full extent cause of the GE and trade restrictions...

(Which clans kill the corp beast, knowing that they either have to ls and make one member very happy, or cs and see your sigil being sold for Jagex's ridiculous price?

And Mazgar, you just got yourself totally screwed over:

but still selling with junk makes you no profit so it's not like you're helping yourself if you do

Read that again, will you. Then ask yourself why everyone but you would use the GE for that item. Realised how idiotic that is? YOU are saying that YOU would wait it out, and you expect OTHERS to take the hit and sell their item undervalued. haha.

How [bleep]ing hypocrite is that.

Oh i Just love your posts <3:

I find it really sad that a really cool addition like the corporal beast isnt used to it's full extent cause of the GE and trade restrictions...

(Which clans kill the corp beast, knowing that they either have to ls and make one member very happy, or cs and see your sigil being sold for Jagex's ridiculous price?

And Mazgar, you just got yourself totally screwed over:

Read that again, will you. Then ask yourself why everyone but you would use the GE for that item. Realised how idiotic that is? YOU are saying that YOU would wait it out, and you expect OTHERS to take the hit and sell their item undervalued. haha.

How [bleep] hypocrite is that.

look at how quickly claws have been rising

150k when they came out they're at 13m now

someone from forsakenmage's chat bought 6 pairs at max on g.e. the day they came out

so obviously some people are dumb enough not to hold them

one think you can ALWAYS count on in life is the stupidity of others

as far as csing the corporal beast, do you really mind that much when some get leaked onto the g.e. and bump prices up a bit?

i certainly wish we didn't have to deal with trade restrictions but you can thank real world traders for that

[hide]

[/hide]

How quickly? Theyve been out for over 2 months (sp?) and still havent reached their real value...

And you really cant tell us to use the GE more for underpriced items, when you are admitting you wouldnt use it yourself...

has it really been 2 months already?

wow

anyway if people weren't junking them and were using the g.e. they would obviously be moving more quickly

and i didn't say i wouldn't use the g.e. for them

but i'm smart enough to watch price trends and see that they're on the rise

some people just don't care and sell them anyway

or they get coinshared

either way in 2 months they've risen by 8600%

that's really not that bad IMO

[hide]

[/hide]

seriously the point people aren't getting though

and that i can't stress enough is that junk has a value in coins

even though it has no use

And what you are not getting is that the value of junk is wrong. It is called junk for a reason, GE may value item X at 500gps, but no player would ever pay that for it. A player might pay 5 gps for it, so it's junk. Because the ge says a maple long(u) is worth 144gps does not mean it is actually worth that price. If it was, players would BUY maple longs (u).

and the coin value is what is used in determining profit

so you're not changing the price of your rare by selling it with junk

you're just selling your junk

EXACTLY! you are selling somthing that should be worth 5 gps for 144 gps. Say you pked a Vesta's plateskirt in pvp. These items don't sell in the ge, they are way over priced. The stats are like barrows but for 6 times the price, and they only last an hour. They are junk. the only way to sell it is to go to tormented demons, get a claw drop, and sell claws + Vesta's plateskirt.

it's a GREAT method just to liquidate your junk

but it does nothing so far as making profit or affecting the price of rares

and personally i have no junk, and i want to make profit off any rares i get

since i have nothing to liquidate, any rare i sell on the g.e. is pure profit for me

Does nothing as far as making profit goes? So getting d claws to sell that vesta plateskirt with did not make you 16m profit? I agree that activly CREATING junk for the sole purpose of selling it in trade is pointless, as it waste time. but 90% of Players do not intentionally create junk. They get it from GWD secondary drops, pvp drops, skilling (herblore-making super def pots, smithing- making steel or mithril plates, summoning - some pouches before shards back, Con - flat packs before advisor grim, etc).

Yes selling a rare item on ge is pure profit if you get it as a drop, but why sell it on the ge when there are hundreds, even thousands, of players willing to pay more then double for many of the incorrect ge items?

btw artemis i get that it moves more gp in a trade

i'm not disputing that

what i'm saying is that it makes no profit, and that it doesn't allow the price of rares to rise

so it keeps the amount of profit possible from ever rising

and like i said, if i'm selling a rare, i want profit

I already showed that it does make profit. When you have a few mil of junk that you cant sell sitting in the bank, and you also have an item that players are willing to pay double what the ge price is, why not sell them together for MORE PROFIT?

No it does not allow the ge price to rise, but that is because not every RS player is like you, willing to sell d claws, 3rd age, spirit shields on the ge for half the real value. few to no Player is willing to buy a phat on the ge when players are willing to sell for half the ge price.

How quickly? Theyve been out for over 2 months (sp?) and still havent reached their real value...

And you really cant tell us to use the GE more for underpriced items, when you are admitting you wouldnt use it yourself...

has it really been 2 months already?

wow

anyway if people weren't junking them and were using the g.e. they would obviously be moving more quickly

and i didn't say i wouldn't use the g.e. for them

but i'm smart enough to watch price trends and see that they're on the rise

some people just don't care and sell them anyway

or they get coinshared

either way in 2 months they've risen by 8600%

that's really not that bad IMO

Incorrect, they would NOT move more quickly. They have raised the maximum percentage per day every day since release.

I also find it amusing that the very purpose of your first thread was telling players to use the ge to make items rise/lower to reach their correct prices, when you just stated you would not sell d claws for 150k yourself.

You're not the first person to make this "valiant crusade" against Junk Trading. You won't be the last.

You also won't change anything, like the people before you, and those who will follow after you.

This is what's going to continue happening given the current "invisible restrictions," poor prediction of market trends, nothing to stop merchanting clans, nothing to take into account personal trading, etc...

hzvjpwS.gif