Holiday Musings and a permanent solution to rares

Jard_Y_Dooku

So basically problem of rares is that not everybody has them right? So we will fix that.. then what about dragonfire shields? not everybody has them, so what about fix this? Then we have third age...

and a perfect solution after solving all "problems" would be giving access to all items at registration? and then maxing everyones character because they don't have max skills?

or simply better - replace whole runescape with one button "click here to win the game". :ohnoes:

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our society really has devolved. Naked envy now can parade as a virtue, and some take it seriously.

So the early holiday events didn't turn out as jagex planned -- that does not mean that they turned out badly. Jagex fixes things when they think they have turned out badly, and they have not "fixed" this, so I think it's safe to assume that Jagex doesn't think that this has turned out badly. The poster here takes jagex as an authoritative source -- well your authoritative source permits rares. Live with it and stop trying to fight the gods of runescape, as you call them.

In reality, Jagex stumbled onto unanticipated game content with rares. The collection, trading and merchanting of rares is a big part of the game now. It's good. It was not planned, but there's always room for serendipity. Jagex knows a good thing when they see it, and rares are good.

That does not mean that everyone will enjoy rares. Most aspects of runescape are competitive. That means there will be winners and losers. There are winners and losers with rares. Apparently you are a loser. Stop whining and find something that you can win. There is plenty of low level content on runescape.

I don't like grinding, so I don't have a skillcape. But it would be pure envy for me to say that nobody should have one. I usually can't sit at the pc for hours at a time, so I don't have a firecape (yet), but it would be pure envy for me to insist that others who can should be deprived of their capes. Hey, I want an elysian shield and can't afford one -- Jagex should give us all one! How lame! Get over your envy. Play the parts of the game that you enjoy and at which you can succeed. If you don't like the rares game, don't play it. But please stop dressing your envy up in respectable moral garb. It doesn't look good on you.

punitivedsig.png

Wait, is your argument for rares being "fixed" due to it being an advantage to those who played earlier? In that case, Jagex should change whip prices back to the heights of 10M and upwards they used to hit because players who start now and reach 85 Slayer don't have an advantage over those were around when the skill was released.

So basically problem of rares is that not everybody has them right? So we will fix that.. then what about dragonfire shields? not everybody has them, so what about fix this? Then we have third age...

and a perfect solution after solving all "problems" would be giving access to all items at registration? and then maxing everyones character because they don't have max skills?

or simply better - replace whole runescape with one button "click here to win the game". :ohnoes:

You've missed the point. Anyone can get rares. The trouble with rares is that the limited supply that will never increase means that over time, rares will effectively cease to exist in the game. The problem isn't that they aren't available to everyone for free, or that they are expensive. The problem (as I see it) is that the supply is limited to a maximum that will never increase, and as the player base expands, the supply of rares for all players can only shrink.

And the problem with untradable holiday items is not that not everybody has them, but that they can never have them. Anyone can obtain a dragonfire shield, or even an Elysian Spirit Shield, if they work hard enough to save up enough money. But no matter how long you play or have played the game, if you didn't get a Santa Suit last Christmas, then unless there is a major change in policy, you will never, ever, ever be able to get one again. Never. Everything else can be obtained with the game's equivalent of enough effort and hard work...everything except untradable holiday items.

Is that really a problem if the items don't give any bonuses? In a word, yes. 58% of players have said they consider looking good in Runescape to be "Important" or "Very important." 11% of players have said that they prefer to wear "the most attractive outfit" they can get their hands on. A further 8% of players said they prefer to wear something "fun." (Source) This is a significant portion of the player base that suffers from discontinuing outfits, especially those like Santa Suits and Bunny Ears and Scythes/Grim Reaper Hoods that allow for cosplaying types of things.

You've missed the point. Anyone can get rares. The trouble with rares is that the limited supply that will never increase means that over time, rares will effectively cease to exist in the game. The problem isn't that they aren't available to everyone for free, or that they are expensive. The problem (as I see it) is that the supply is limited to a maximum that will never increase, and as the player base expands, the supply of rares for all players can only shrink.

By this, you're saying that the number of rares can only shrink. And you're also saying this is a problem. I'd like to know, why is this a problem? What makes it problematic?

As the human population expands, but the earth is still a fixed size, the amount of land per person will shrink. The amount of gold per person will shrink. The amount of oil for people will shrink. The amount of sunlight per person will shrink. Why is this a problem? What you're dealing with here is simple economics, and the law of scarcity. So an item is scarce, why is that a problem? If the problem is that there won't be any left, then you should make an account, merchant til you own a few rares, and then sit on them for 10 years. Make it so we never have that problem, that there will always be rares in the game.

And the problem with untradable holiday items is not that not everybody has them, but that they can never have them. Anyone can obtain a dragonfire shield, or even an Elysian Spirit Shield, if they work hard enough to save up enough money. But no matter how long you play or have played the game, if you didn't get a Santa Suit last Christmas, then unless there is a major change in policy, you will never, ever, ever be able to get one again. Never. Everything else can be obtained with the game's equivalent of enough effort and hard work...everything except untradable holiday items.

What about the players that have done every holiday event up until now, that has every holiday reward, and they still have their account because they haven't been banned yet? I submit that having that type of an account is a reward for good behavior. I will never, ever, ever, EVER be able to own a scythe, or a scarf, or whatever, but does it bother me? No, why should it? A player with one of those holiday items SHOULD BE RESPECTED because they've had an account AT LEAST since then, and they haven't been banned yet.

I've actually got an level 15? completely F2P account that still has a skull. Are you telling me that all level 15, f2p players should be allowed to get skulls because I've got one? It's about the same level as saying EVERYONE should be allowed to have holiday events to make EVERYONE equal. Well, I'd like you to know that's communism, and its a failed practice.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

By this, you're saying that the number of rares can only shrink. And you're also saying this is a problem. I'd like to know, why is this a problem? What makes it problematic?

As the human population expands, but the earth is still a fixed size, the amount of land per person will shrink. The amount of gold per person will shrink. The amount of oil for people will shrink. The amount of sunlight per person will shrink. Why is this a problem? What you're dealing with here is simple economics, and the law of scarcity. So an item is scarce, why is that a problem? If the problem is that there won't be any left, then you should make an account, merchant til you own a few rares, and then sit on them for 10 years. Make it so we never have that problem, that there will always be rares in the game.

It would be a problem much for the same reason I gave as to why the untradable holiday items are a problem. Out of hundreds of thousands of active players, a maximum of only a handful of players could possibly ever own party hats at the same time. Eventually those phats will, by necessity, find their way into the hands of those players who will never sell them. At that point, in theory, no party hats would ever be traded again, and players who want to wear them would never have a chance to.

Just as an example, imagine if, say, pirate hooks were discontinued and became untradable. Even though the item itself has no real functionality, the gameplay experience of players such as myself who find it fun to dress in a pirate theme would be reduced, as the costume would be incomplete.

Anyway, it's not as if the solution to the problem with the tradable rares is a controversial one. Having them sold by NPCs, as detailed in previous posts, would eliminate the problem, with no negative side effects.

What about the players that have done every holiday event up until now, that has every holiday reward, and they still have their account because they haven't been banned yet? I submit that having that type of an account is a reward for good behavior. I will never, ever, ever, EVER be able to own a scythe, or a scarf, or whatever, but does it bother me? No, why should it? A player with one of those holiday items SHOULD BE RESPECTED because they've had an account AT LEAST since then, and they haven't been banned yet.

I've actually got an level 15? completely F2P account that still has a skull. Are you telling me that all level 15, f2p players should be allowed to get skulls because I've got one? It's about the same level as saying EVERYONE should be allowed to have holiday events to make EVERYONE equal. Well, I'd like you to know that's communism, and its a failed practice.

I never said they should be reobtainable for free. Jard Y Dooku suggested in an earlier post that players could receive costume points for completing holiday events in addition to the reward, and that after saving enough of these points, older items could be obtained, similar to the new system for random event clothing. For example, when I complete this year's easter event, I would receive my pet bunny or whatever the reward is, and I would get 1 easter point. And once I have, say, 2 easter points, I could exchange them for an Easter ring. In this way I'd still need to be playing for a year or more before I can get the Easter ring on a random noob account, but it wouldn't be flat-out impossible to obtain.

Saying snow globes should be re-introduced is not the same as saying they should be given out to everybody again for free.

Is that really a problem if the items don't give any bonuses? In a word, yes. 58% of players have said they consider looking good in Runescape to be "Important" or "Very important." 11% of players have said that they prefer to wear "the most attractive outfit" they can get their hands on. A further 8% of players said they prefer to wear something "fun." (Source) This is a significant portion of the player base that suffers from discontinuing outfits, especially those like Santa Suits and Bunny Ears and Scythes/Grim Reaper Hoods that allow for cosplaying types of things.

Oh my god, so basically it is bad to reward players for playing a game for longer time? Just because some jealous people want same advantage?

As stated before - bring back time, when whip was 10m ea, bring back time when dragon sq was 5+m ea, when guthan was 13m worth.

Also rares are not hurting game AT ALL. They are only hurting minds of jealous people, so I don't see any point in swapping them for money and SERIOUSLY hurt economics - again just because of jealous people.

And as for bunny ears or scythes? I am glad that they are discontinued, this way you can guess that somebody wearing those is not a 13 year old kid having brain only for purpose to calling you noob... who do you prefer to talk to - a guy with scythe or a PC product with "mighty godsword"?

Oh my god, so basically it is bad to reward players for playing a game for longer time? Just because some jealous people want same advantage?

As stated before - bring back time, when whip was 10m ea, bring back time when dragon sq was 5+m ea, when guthan was 13m worth.

Also rares are not hurting game AT ALL. They are only hurting minds of jealous people, so I don't see any point in swapping them for money and SERIOUSLY hurt economics - again just because of jealous people.

And as for bunny ears or scythes? I am glad that they are discontinued, this way you can guess that somebody wearing those is not a 13 year old kid having brain only for purpose to calling you noob... who do you prefer to talk to - a guy with scythe or a PC product with "mighty godsword"?

I don't know, I never met either of them, but I'm leaning towards the guy with the godsword. And how do you know someone with bunny ears isn't a 13 year old kid having brains for the only purpose of calling you a noob? They're from what, 2001? If he started playing at 5, he can be 13 now. So there.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

I don't know, I never met either of them, but I'm leaning towards the guy with the godsword. And how do you know someone with bunny ears isn't a 13 year old kid having brains for the only purpose of calling you a noob? They're from what, 2001? If he started playing at 5, he can be 13 now. So there.

Well I am not, not a while ago I was forced to report such player for being more than rude. And as for the 13yo example? Still better to speak to player who played game for 8 years. At least you do know it is not some nervous nolifer who skilled his character playing 8 hours a day.

This is incoherent. Did you actually read any of my post? I've already responded to everything you said. :wall:

This is incoherent. Did you actually read any of my post? I've already responded to everything you said. :wall:

No you haven't. You are just complaining that certain discontinued items, that does not affect game at all (only jealousy), are more and more rare.

And one of the solutions would be to remove the only thing, that distinct long-time players from new ones. Again it is not affecting game at all, its just that some jealous players want it.

No you haven't. You are just complaining that certain discontinued items, that does not affect game at all (only jealousy), are more and more rare.

And one of the solutions would be to remove the only thing, that distinct long-time players from new ones. Again it is not affecting game at all, its just that some jealous players want it.

If they weren't affecting the game they wouldn't exist.

That's a very ignorant view. the rare market is a good portion of the high end market, considering there isnt a rare worth less that what? 10 mil?

you cant say that this only affects 'jealous people' it affects the whole friggin market, and through that every single player.

Sorry to say, but you are just plain wrong with assuming this thread is about jealousy. I personally have owned party hats at many points in my rs career, they meant nothing but money to me, and maybe that makes me weird considering i was at the actual drop :? but I dont care, I'm not stuck up enough to deny the problem at hand.

There is a problem here, people just arent willing to accept it, because.... I honestly dont know, theres no reason not to agree with this, its about removing a broken portion of the game.

I feel sorry for you Jard, this is a good idea, but with anything in RS, player opinion isnt respected too much, maybe when Jagex says this is a problem they'll admit you were right!

Reverents can be a pain, but you can run away from them. Just curious, do they still have teleblocking ability?

Fear the church, the reverents have 85 magic!!!!

nachalo

Some good ideas in your post, get rid of them and give the person with them coins of the current market value and then make them available to everyone. I think some people like the untradebale holiday items because they were able to show you were a 'vet' of RuneScape and have been on the game for a long time. After reading your post it seems these are available to everyone now no matter when they joined? Perhaps to keep those happy that were disappointed that they no longer have something to show when they joined the game would be to bring out a set of capes, each cape would be for a year since RuneScape has been out and you could only buy the cape from the year your start date was in?

konets

It's tough at the top ;)

Rares are not a problem, and they don't need a solution. Rares are units that people buy because they choose to. Some people think that this is a major problem. Those people are wrong.

One major arguement against them is that they take a lot of time to get, and are very expensive. 99 Slayer takes a long time to get. It sould not be removed form the game. 99 pray takes a long time to get. It should not be removed from the game.

Some people say that it contributes to the whole merching culture. The problem with that is that merchers choose to merch, and they pay to play the game. And they enjoy it. So it isn't a problem unless you make it one.

I never buy rares. I would rather see a cash pile than a rare, because rares are worthless. But they are also an item with a price, and as long as that is the case, someone will want it.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

Rares are not a problem, and they don't need a solution. Rares are units that people buy because they choose to. Some people think that this is a major problem. Those people are wrong.

One major arguement against them is that they take a lot of time to get, and are very expensive. 99 Slayer takes a long time to get. It sould not be removed form the game. 99 pray takes a long time to get. It should not be removed from the game.

Some people say that it contributes to the whole merching culture. The problem with that is that merchers choose to merch, and they pay to play the game. And they enjoy it. So it isn't a problem unless you make it one.

I never buy rares. I would rather see a cash pile than a rare, because rares are worthless. But they are also an item with a price, and as long as that is the case, someone will want it.

I am not arguing against the difficulty of things. You are completely missing the point. I am arguing FOR that. The problem is, rare supplies are limited. If EVERYONE in RuneScape wants a party hat, not everyone can get it, no matter how hard they work (same for the untradeables). THAT... is the problem.

I already cited statistics that show that appearances are important to people's experience of the game. 58% of 'Scapers voting in a poll of February last year said that their in-game appearance was either important or very important. Thus, even items with no stat bonuses can affect gameplay by altering the player's appearance.

As for that last bit, who's taking anything away? I never suggested or implied anything of the sort.

That's a very ignorant view. the rare market is a good portion of the high end market, considering there isnt a rare worth less that what? 10 mil?

Well, green masks and some unwearables, but at any rate they're all in the top 100 most valuable items.

I am not arguing against the difficulty of things. You are completely missing the point. I am arguing FOR that. The problem is, rare supplies are limited. If EVERYONE in RuneScape wants a party hat, not everyone can get it, no matter how hard they work (same for the untradeables). THAT... is the problem.

Perhaps you should update the first post with the other solutions that have been proposed? Because if we're focusing on this aspect of discontinued items as the main problem, then having NPCs sell tradables at high prices and reobtaining old untradable holiday items based on the number of holiday events completed are better solutions than the ones you offered originally, because they retain the prestige of the items in question--the biggest argument against your original propositions.

i wish they were made party hats untradable so whoever were using them now were true oldschoolers

buny and scythe is kinda new compared to phats so untradable phats would be true mark from really old account.

troacctid, good idea. I'll update my OP when I get a chance.

i wish they were made party hats untradable so whoever were using them now were true oldschoolers

buny and scythe is kinda new compared to phats so untradable phats would be true mark from really old account.

That's not a good idea, because there are plenty (and probably majority) of players who bought their party hats / masks / etc., rather than getting them from the drops a long, long time ago.

Party hats are poor marks of age and while I continue to argue against the idea of old accounts being socially 'better' and having 'special privileges', bunny ears and scythes show an account's age better than a party hat.

nachalo

The items are meant for fun, yes, but they also show how long you've been playing in comparison to other players. Untradeable scythes and bunny ears are a good thing imo, if you happened to miss the event that is too bad. Party hats are status symbols, such a radical change would be silly.

I agree with SirHartlar 100%

konets

newsigac5.png

I read your thing but I'm not bothering with the random jibberish you want in my post.

Imagine if everybody that owned an expensive car were to recieve money for how much it's worth.

Sereously, just because you weren't around long enough to get a free christmas cracker doesn't mean everybody else should suffer.

Think before you post. You said you don't know much about how economy works, nor do I, but this would only cause problems. As of rite now, my yo-yo is the only way to proove how long I've been playing. Absolutely terrible idea.

0/10

p.s. Shouldn't this be in bugs and suggestions?

Wait, is your argument for rares being "fixed" due to it being an advantage to those who played earlier? In that case, Jagex should change whip prices back to the heights of 10M and upwards they used to hit because players who start now and reach 85 Slayer don't have an advantage over those were around when the skill was released.

But Slayer's not a discontinued skill that you can no longer gain experience in no matter what you do, so that is irrelevant.

But Slayer's not a discontinued skill that you can no longer gain experience in no matter what you do, so that is irrelevant.

I wasn't talking about Slayer as a skill; I'm talking about the prices of whips. Just because someone who starts now can no longer sell a whip for 10M doesn't mean Jagex should change the prices because they missed out on that opportunity. People who missed out on rares don't need the system changed.