Holiday Musings and a permanent solution to rares

Jard_Y_Dooku

One major arguement against them is that they take a lot of time to get, and are very expensive. 99 Slayer takes a long time to get. It sould not be removed form the game. 99 pray takes a long time to get. It should not be removed from the game.

Yes, but 99 slayer or prayer actually has some use. Party hats are nothing more than virtual pieces of paper. Cool looking paper though

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nacholo

Seriously a bad idea. First off, rare items are not only to show who has been playing for a long time, but it is a status of wealth for some players. If I have 100m(or however much they are, I couldn't care less :P) I wouldn't want to buy a green party hat and then get money worth for it. I can't wear money. Also, I wouldn't want a bunch of level 3's getting party hats for free, because a large status of power would be removed from the game. Also, sycthes(spelling sorry) and bunny ears were meant to show how long a person has played, and you argue that they are an "unfair" advantage to new players, yet I see no advantage besides a few discontinued items that most people do not have anymore anyways.

Next, there's the idea that people who have amassed these rares(I met a guy who had 33 blue phats and 128 santa hats) will go over the gp limit(which is 2.1billion if I remember) and all of their money is lost(not sure on this, someone correct me if I am wrong). Having a skillcape of music(as you reffered to) because you played longer IS an unfair advantage, but not having worthless items that have no stats isn't.

nacholo

Seriously a bad idea. First off, rare items are not only to show who has been playing for a long time, but it is a status of wealth for some players. If I have 100m(or however much they are, I couldn't care less :P) I wouldn't want to buy a green party hat and then get money worth for it. I can't wear money. Also, I wouldn't want a bunch of level 3's getting party hats for free, because a large status of power would be removed from the game. Also, sycthes(spelling sorry) and bunny ears were meant to show how long a person has played, and you argue that they are an "unfair" advantage to new players, yet I see no advantage besides a few discontinued items that most people do not have anymore anyways.

Next, there's the idea that people who have amassed these rares(I met a guy who had 33 blue phats and 128 santa hats) will go over the gp limit(which is 2.1billion if I remember) and all of their money is lost(not sure on this, someone correct me if I am wrong). Having a skillcape of music(as you reffered to) because you played longer IS an unfair advantage, but not having worthless items that have no stats isn't.

All of your concerns have already been addressed in the past couple of pages of this thread.

Rare items a sign of wealth: Instead of handing them out for free to everyone, they would be handed out at a fixed price roughly equal to the current value at the time the change is made.

Old holiday items a sign of having played for a long time: Instead of handing them out for free to everyone, give a certain amount of costume points in addition to future holiday event rewards that can be saved up over multiple years to trade in for older holiday items.

No unfair advantage: It is an advantage. A February '08 official poll showed that 58% of those surveyed considered their in-game experience to be important. A significant portion also said they prefer to wear items that are fun or look cool (as opposed to functional or just expensive/hard to obtain/etc). For many of those players it is definitely detrimental to their experience if it is impossible for them to dress as Santa or the Grim Reaper because it's impossible to ever obtain a Santa Suit or Scythe/Reaper Hood.

GP cap: With NPCs selling an infinite stock of rares, it would no longer be necessary to remove them all and replace them with GP, as they will retain their value.

Wait, is your argument for rares being "fixed" due to it being an advantage to those who played earlier? In that case, Jagex should change whip prices back to the heights of 10M and upwards they used to hit because players who start now and reach 85 Slayer don't have an advantage over those were around when the skill was released.

But Slayer's not a discontinued skill that you can no longer gain experience in no matter what you do, so that is irrelevant.

I wasn't talking about Slayer as a skill; I'm talking about the prices of whips. Just because someone who starts now can no longer sell a whip for 10M doesn't mean Jagex should change the prices because they missed out on that opportunity. People who missed out on rares don't need the system changed.

I honestly LOVE <3: when people dig themselves into holes for me to just throw the dirt on and seal their argument away for good.

by your logic, exactly how you're thinking it, you have 2 BIG holes.

1: you assume that there are no more whips coming into the economy, whips dont equal party hats, because whips have an 'unlimited' source. there is a set amount of party hats, which will never increase, and will eventually reach 0. so no, jagex shouldnt touch whip prices because thats a stupid example in the context of this discussion.

2: if you want things set to their original price for the sake of balance, as you suggest with whips (which were closer to 30 mil as an average the first day they were out, some went for much more, but i remember buying mine for 36m the first week people started to get them) then party hats should be set to 100 gp, because thats what i payed for mine back at the drop!

so not only do you have a completely nonsense comparison (whips are unlimited, party hats ARE NOT, they have a limited source) but your example of price is even wrong, because the original price of party hats was NOTHING, they were FREE! literally free, there were no requirements level wise to obtain a party hat.

so good fight sir, but rethink your argument, because you are wrong.

Reverents can be a pain, but you can run away from them. Just curious, do they still have teleblocking ability?

Fear the church, the reverents have 85 magic!!!!

I wasn't talking about Slayer as a skill; I'm talking about the prices of whips. Just because someone who starts now can no longer sell a whip for 10M doesn't mean Jagex should change the prices because they missed out on that opportunity. People who missed out on rares don't need the system changed.

I honestly LOVE <3: when people dig themselves into holes for me to just throw the dirt on and seal their argument away for good.

by your logic, exactly how you're thinking it, you have 2 BIG holes.

1: you assume that there are no more whips coming into the economy, whips dont equal party hats, because whips have an 'unlimited' source. there is a set amount of party hats, which will never increase, and will eventually reach 0. so no, jagex shouldnt touch whip prices because thats a stupid example in the context of this discussion.

2: if you want things set to their original price for the sake of balance, as you suggest with whips (which were closer to 30 mil as an average the first day they were out, some went for much more, but i remember buying mine for 36m the first week people started to get them) then party hats should be set to 100 gp, because thats what i payed for mine back at the drop!

so not only do you have a completely nonsense comparison (whips are unlimited, party hats ARE NOT, they have a limited source) but your example of price is even wrong, because the original price of party hats was NOTHING, they were FREE! literally free, there were no requirements level wise to obtain a party hat.

so good fight sir, but rethink your argument, because you are wrong.

1. While you are correct that more whips are coming into the economy, there are also more people achieving 70 attack which need them. Also, party hats will NEVER reach zero. We have reached a nice spot in runescape where the active players with party hats are all aware of their value and have no intent of losing them (especially since the input of graves) so the number is not dropping to make any significant impact. There are still thousands of party hats still active within runescape which gives you no right to claim that they will eventually die out.

2.Prices go both ways. Rares started at 0gp each and rose to hundreds of millions while whips started at 30million and are worth less than 2 million now. He's just starting at the extreme opposite of the price scale. You did ignore his entire argument though that those who played earlier and got 85 slayer immediately were given an advantage over newer slayers.

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

@ above

I did actually miss the point about new slayers having an advantage, so my bad there, no excuse but my own ignorance.

as for saying that rares will eventually reach 0, this is a fact. they are currently a limited resource, with no way or replenishing their quantity, but MANY ways to take them out of the game (alching, dropping, dieing etc)

so my statement is true, because ANY player, regardless of how they view the item, COULD lose it, and therefore it will eventually reach 0 through mistakes, or players who actively choose to eliminate them. I've personally done this, and alched at least 10 partyhats, when they were around the value of 10k each street value.

so, the logical statement that limited resources will eventually run out, is true. Gas is an example of this, people see the value in it, but it WILL run out.

Reverents can be a pain, but you can run away from them. Just curious, do they still have teleblocking ability?

It is foolish to think that the thousands of owners with party hats will all drop, alc, or die with their partyhats on, especially since some own dozens of each. Especially since these hats are worth millions, it's logical to assume that they own the most expensive graves, which means that even if they were stupid enough to take their most expensive item into a risky situation, they would still be able to retrieve them.

As for you alcing partyhats when they were 10k each, that was long ago when they had little value. No matter how rich a person is, they cannot forcibly eliminate the amount of rares in the game.

So no, I remain by my statement that the amount of rares will stay very close to the current number in the game.

TETsig.jpeg

That's the thing. They were NEVER meant to be status symbols. My Armadyl godsword is much more of a status symbol than a partyhat. How long you've been playing really doesn't impress me at all. When I see someone with a scythe I don't think "wow ur so kewl cuz u bin play since liek 2003 omfg". I think "wow, you're a noob, you're only level 50".

Your sword is going to be worth 50k in a few months time. The party hat will then be equivalent to a thousand of your sword.

That's the thing. They were NEVER meant to be status symbols. My Armadyl godsword is much more of a status symbol than a partyhat. How long you've been playing really doesn't impress me at all. When I see someone with a scythe I don't think "wow ur so kewl cuz u bin play since liek 2003 omfg". I think "wow, you're a noob, you're only level 50".

Your sword is going to be worth 50k in a few months time. The party hat will then be equivalent to a thousand of your sword.

I guarantee it won't, and even if it did, what is your point? The party hat would become even more worthless if that were to happen because I can buy 1000 very useful swords instead of 1 completely useless hat.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

@ Jard_Y_Dooku

I read all of page 1, and then jumped to page 15, but it looks like your argument hasn't moved on any.

I just wanted to ask why you are so riled up about not being able to get a scythe (I'm guessing this is the heart of the issue) which you also adamantly insist is useless.. I can't work out whether you are saying

"Rares are amazing! They should be available to all [inc. Joe Newb]"

or

"Rares are useless and ruining the game! [your scythe impresses me not, get a Godsword]"

To be honest the ONLY reason I still log in 4 or 5 times a year is to collect rares which, a few weeks down the line, will be unique to the players who were online to collect them. It really is the only fun aspect of RS for me. Build up a reserve of cash, buy a phat, santa or whatever and join in the fun of the exclusivity.

One thing could be done - "Time Machine". That crazy professor who takes u to killerwatts and turns ernest into chickens invents some sort of a time machine which opens up to previous randoms only during holiday events for a limited period of time where one can go and do the event and get the items. Only one event could be done in one year... so to get all the events one would have to spend a considerable amount of time....

Opieous.png
99 Woodcutting 99 Constitution | 99 Prayer

Scapin since July 05'

nacholo

All of your concerns have already been addressed in the past couple of pages of this thread.

Rare items a sign of wealth: Instead of handing them out for free to everyone, they would be handed out at a fixed price roughly equal to the current value at the time the change is made.

Old holiday items a sign of having played for a long time: Instead of handing them out for free to everyone, give a certain amount of costume points in addition to future holiday event rewards that can be saved up over multiple years to trade in for older holiday items.

No unfair advantage: It is an advantage. A February '08 official poll showed that 58% of those surveyed considered their in-game experience to be important. A significant portion also said they prefer to wear items that are fun or look cool (as opposed to functional or just expensive/hard to obtain/etc). For many of those players it is definitely detrimental to their experience if it is impossible for them to dress as Santa or the Grim Reaper because it's impossible to ever obtain a Santa Suit or Scythe/Reaper Hood.

GP cap: With NPCs selling an infinite stock of rares, it would no longer be necessary to remove them all and replace them with GP, as they will retain their value.

You hit good points, but all your suggesting is that an npc sells an infinite stock of rare items for their current price.

I thought there was no deficiency in rares, and that there are more then enough for people to buy because most people can't sell party hats for lowest price. All you're suggesting is taking away the "rare" in rare items, making them like any other item, just more expensive.

And I consider an unfair advantage as something that makes someone BETTER at the game than someone else, looking cool isn't an unfair advantage.

I agree that people shouldn't be rich because they horded their rares, but it is too late to change that now and I don't think Jagex wouldn't consider because of all the complaints they would get.

I do like the idea of saving up for holiday items like "costume points", but it probably won't be considered because discontinued items are the last way to show how long you've played the game. And whats wrong with showing you've played longer?

I guarantee it won't, and even if it did, what is your point? The party hat would become even more worthless if that were to happen because I can buy 1000 very useful swords instead of 1 completely useless hat.

if it's so useless, then why does it aggravate you so much? oh i know, because you envy the people who actually have the hat and you regret purchasing a sword that lose more than half its worth in days

Nachalo

Great idea, would solve the mess up rares made on the game in the first place. True people will be annoyed for being less "special" with everyone having a rare, but as you say that was the idea in the first place, a fun item.

I feel sorry for the amount of flames you are due to recieve for this :wall:

Konets

The author of this thread is upset that there's something in game that he can't get by grinding. Sad, really. There are in game benefits to grinding (lots of them), but I don't like to grind, so I'll never have a skillcape. I can live with that. There are in game benefits (only a few) to longevity. So a few old timers have scythes (which are really cool) and bunny years (not so cool) and a few other things like that. I can never get those. I can live with that. I honestly think, dude, there's something wrong with you because you can't live with that. It's that way in life, too -- whoever said you can have whatever you want if you just work hard enough lied. No amount of grinding will put you in a time machine so you can get a scythe. There will always be someone richer than you. The sooner you learn to live with that, the happier you'll be. And while you are indeed an impressive clicker, there will always be a zezima out there who clicks just a little more. If you enjoy collecting capes that show how much you've clicked, then do it! Enjoy it! But why deprive someone else of the joy of showing that they've played longer than anyone else or that they've amassed more gold than anyone else, or whatever? Runescape gives us many ways to compete and many ways to develop our online personas. You should revel in being a beast clicker and let everyone else revel in doing whatever they like.

punitivedsig.png

Nachalo

Great idea, would solve the mess up rares made on the game in the first place. True people will be annoyed for being less "special" with everyone having a rare, but as you say that was the idea in the first place, a fun item.

Konets

Correct. Someone understands the point.

Also, I find it incredibly peculiar that people find rares "fair", yet weapons and armor for people with level 99 skills like me are "OMG 2 OVAR POWERD WE CANT MAKE DAT ITS NOT FAIRRRRR!!!". Really now? I worked harder than them to get those levels, so give me a Thor's hammer. If they want one too, they can go work for it, instead of sitting on their arses playing holiday events three times a year - which takes no effort at all besides sitting in front of the computer.

And don't worry about the flames, I can handle them. *Shows Dragonfire shield*

whoever said you can have whatever you want if you just work hard enough lied.

I said it. If Bill Gates wants something, he gets it. People don't go to Bill Gates and say "oh, you are too young, you can't have that". Achievers who earn wealth and power are the ones that benefit.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

I think if we've learned one thing today, it's a reinforcement to the idea that Jagex can't do anything without at least one small group of whiners coming around and making demands.

To summarize the argument against the OP: Life isn't fair. Jagex made a mistake making the early items tradeable, but it's something they said they will NOT be changing. Holiday items from the bunny ears onward are status symbols of how long you've been playing, whether or not whiners like the OP are willing to acknowledge that fact it still remains true. For Jagex to cave in to the consistent whining of the newbs and rs2 products who wouldn't know status if it certed their items and told them they couldn't wear gloves with chest armor at the same time, it would put a stake through the hearts of many longtime members, and would probably be one of the few updates that would cause me to quit, because sentiments will mean absolutely nothing.

I think you need to stop paying so much attention to what you consider useless items, it looks to us like you're covering for your secret jealousy of the older or richer players. I don't beat myself up about missing the scythe or bunny ears, it's really not that big of a deal to not have them, but don't take it away from those who do.

Oh yea; On the Runescape Classic forums we had a thread going asking for a Runescape Classic cape in-game for people who could still play. The suggestion would affect maybe a thousand at most, many of them not even active, and more who refuse to play Runescape 2. We thought the idea was pretty much bust, until Mod Emilee showed up and passed it on to the content team, then we heard from Mark Gerhard that he thought it was an amazing idea, wanted to see it put in, and was going to go straight to Andrew Gower about it.

It's good to see Jagex likes their older players more than the OP does.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Nachalo

Konets

Correct. Someone understands the point.

Also, I find it incredibly peculiar that people find rares "fair", yet weapons and armor for people with level 99 skills like me are "OMG 2 OVAR POWERD WE CANT MAKE DAT ITS NOT FAIRRRRR!!!". Really now? I worked harder than them to get those levels, so give me a Thor's hammer. If they want one too, they can go work for it, instead of sitting on their arses playing holiday events three times a year - which takes no effort at all besides sitting in front of the computer.

And don't worry about the flames, I can handle them. *Shows Dragonfire shield*

whoever said you can have whatever you want if you just work hard enough lied.

I said it. If Bill Gates wants something, he gets it. People don't go to Bill Gates and say "oh, you are too young, you can't have that". Achievers who earn wealth and power are the ones that benefit.

Tons of millionaires and billionaires have cheated/inherited their money and certainly did not earn what they have. Life is not fair and you need to accept that.

TETsig.jpeg

@ above

So life isnt fair? why should runescape follow en suite? that makes no sense and is flawed logic to which i pity severely.

just because something is wrong in a completely unrelated place, doesnt mean it has to be the same here!

life doesnt equal runescape, nor should it, runescape is a place to escape life, that's the very essence of leisure activities, to escape the frivolous and tedium of life, to replace it with something you enjoy- and trying to make runescape like life: unfair, does not make it enjoyable in my eyes.

this is a game, and so should remain as a game, not made into life, where things really arent fair and such things as this are unchangeable. this is a GAME with a broken piece, fix the broken piece and the game gets better than it currently is. I for one dont plan to stand in the way and fight POSITIVE change.

@ above

So life isnt fair? why should runescape follow en suite? that makes no sense and is flawed logic to which i pity severely.

just because something is wrong in a completely unrelated place, doesnt mean it has to be the same here!

life doesnt equal runescape, nor should it, runescape is a place to escape life, that's the very essence of leisure activities, to escape the frivolous and tedium of life, to replace it with something you enjoy- and trying to make runescape like life: unfair, does not make it enjoyable in my eyes.

this is a game, and so should remain as a game, not made into life, where things really arent fair and such things as this are unchangeable. this is a GAME with a broken piece, fix the broken piece and the game gets better than it currently is. I for one dont plan to stand in the way and fight POSITIVE change.

It's not flawed logic, that's just reality. Jagex is the government and were are the citizens. The only real difference is that we don't have to pay taxes :lol: (unless you count membership :? ).

If you really claim runescape to just be a carefree game, then you wouldn't be arguing about this "problem" in the first place.

TETsig.jpeg

Nachalo

Konets

what do you expect happens when you whine like a little kid. "waah i cant have it so i dont want it to be special anymore"

typical pre-teen approach

and no, it is not a good idea. maybe try looking up what RARE means in the dictionary

Again, you try to constru runescape as real life, it isnt.

There is no reason, NONE for there to be broken/unfair/anything wrong in a FANTASY WORLD. Why people fight this so strongly is beyond me, just because of this thread I now plan purchase a few party hats and alc them just because it would help remove some of them, but wont because it would only make the price higher.

Jagex is the creator, in a game-life comparison, Jagex is GOD not the government. They've taken actions against rares, they know they made a mistake, hence why they havnt released any more rares. the problem now is, they have a giant sore on the face of their game, and they need to find a way to take it away without causing damage.

the problem with that is that they cant, no matter what they do, people get pissed, so eventually they'll cut their losses and just eliminate rares in one way or another, its nescessary, as there is no PURPOSE for rares, they are useless trinkets, with no value other than : Oh look, that guy has some pixels on his head....yay?

they were never meant to be monstrously expensive items that have stagnated above the market, they were a fun holiday release. those who say that things become what they werent meant to be- so what? sometimes its a good thing, sometimes its a bad thing- PoH's were never meant to allow you kill people anywhere, but they did allow it, so why did jagex change that?

Because it wasnt right, it wasnt the intent of PoH's, Partyhats appear to be a harder thing to convey as broken. If they were meant to be ultra valuable items, they'd have alch values that are ultra high.

and @ShadowFazPZ- no one here is whining that its too hard to obtain these items. its not about availability, its not about status, its about the party hat being a broken item- a 30gp item is worth a hundred million gold, they just arent what they're supposed to be, they've evolved past 'fun' items, to items that have no purpose other than moving money.

and yes, the definition of rare is well known, however these are holiday items, not 'rares' Elysian(sp) shield is a rare item, party hats and masks and eggs and pumpkins etc are DISCONTINUED, rare implies there is still a SOURCE, in that, no matter how many of the item is taken out of the game, there is still the possibity for more to enter through some means.

if everyone dropped their 'rares', they'd disappear and there would be no more rares. however if everyone dropped all the hammers in runescape, they could still get more. hopefully you understand the point!

and @ShadowFazPZ- no one here is whining that its too hard to obtain these items. its not about availability, its not about status, its about the party hat being a broken item- a 30gp item is worth a hundred million gold, they just arent what they're supposed to be, they've evolved past 'fun' items, to items that have no purpose other than moving money.

and yes, the definition of rare is well known, however these are holiday items, not 'rares' Elysian(sp) shield is a rare item, party hats and masks and eggs and pumpkins etc are DISCONTINUED, rare implies there is still a SOURCE, in that, no matter how many of the item is taken out of the game, there is still the possibity for more to enter through some means.

if everyone dropped their 'rares', they'd disappear and there would be no more rares. however if everyone dropped all the hammers in runescape, they could still get more. hopefully you understand the point!

it was only fun when you pull the cracker on someone's head. holding the phat itself was never about fun. cant bear to read the rest of your inane excuse

Again, you try to constru runescape as real life, it isnt.

1. There is no reason, NONE for there to be broken/unfair/anything wrong in a FANTASY WORLD. Why people fight this so strongly is beyond me, just because of this thread I now plan purchase a few party hats and alc them just because it would help remove some of them, but wont because it would only make the price higher.

2. Jagex is the creator, in a game-life comparison, Jagex is GOD not the government. They've taken actions against rares, they know they made a mistake, hence why they havnt released any more rares. the problem now is, they have a giant sore on the face of their game, and they need to find a way to take it away without causing damage.

3. the problem with that is that they cant, no matter what they do, people get pissed, so eventually they'll cut their losses and just eliminate rares in one way or another, its nescessary, as there is no PURPOSE for rares, they are useless trinkets, with no value other than : Oh look, that guy has some pixels on his head....yay?

4. they were never meant to be monstrously expensive items that have stagnated above the market, they were a fun holiday release. those who say that things become what they werent meant to be- so what? sometimes its a good thing, sometimes its a bad thing- PoH's were never meant to allow you kill people anywhere, but they did allow it, so why did jagex change that?

Because it wasnt right, it wasnt the intent of PoH's, Partyhats appear to be a harder thing to convey as broken. If they were meant to be ultra valuable items, they'd have alch values that are ultra high.

5. and @ShadowFazPZ- no one here is whining that its too hard to obtain these items. its not about availability, its not about status, its about the party hat being a broken item- a 30gp item is worth a hundred million gold, they just arent what they're supposed to be, they've evolved past 'fun' items, to items that have no purpose other than moving money.

6. and yes, the definition of rare is well known, however these are holiday items, not 'rares' Elysian(sp) shield is a rare item, party hats and masks and eggs and pumpkins etc are DISCONTINUED, rare implies there is still a SOURCE, in that, no matter how many of the item is taken out of the game, there is still the possibity for more to enter through some means.

7. if everyone dropped their 'rares', they'd disappear and there would be no more rares. however if everyone dropped all the hammers in runescape, they could still get more. hopefully you understand the point!

1. There is a reason that the game will always be "broken", because the creators are human and will always make mistakes.

2. No, Jagex is the government. They set up the rules, control your environment, and add/remove things as they see fit.

3. You're going in circles at this point. As said several time before, there is no need to remove a fun item just because it serves no actual purpose. By that logic, you could remove every household dog from the world, because they really don't improve an average family and are just for entertainment. Also, who are you to tell someone how to spend their money in an online game. It's my business if I want to spend my money to buy a useless pixelated hat while it's your business to buy the items to raise your skills to gain pixelated levels.

4. POHs were a bad example on your part. Other people were affected by those killings for doing nothing, rares have no impact on you unless you choose for them to.

5. You're wrong, a phat isn't a 30gp item worth 100 million, it's a 100 million item worth 100 million. Going by that logic, a whip is worth 30 million because they were worth that at one point. As said before, some play games to have fun and enjoy buying useless items, it's their business.

6. I see in now way how the word rare implies that a small source is still coming in.

7. So hammers aren't a rare item? I really don't see where you were going with that besides stating the obvious.

TETsig.jpeg