Holiday Musings and a permanent solution to rares

Jard_Y_Dooku

I've also seen a few arguments like "oh, so old players shouldn't be rewarded? Then I guess we should just give everyone 99 stats since they didn't start years ago". This is one of the stupidest arguments you can come up with. The point is, and I'll make it clear: most anything I achieved in the past 8 years of RuneScape CAN BE ACHIEVED by a player who starts tomorrow. All they have to do is spend as much time as I did, in TOTAL. You could make the argument that if we each played for infinity time, I'd always be ahead, but other factors can change that, and the point isn't that I'm AHEAD, it's that the new player can ALWAYS achieve whatever I do at a later time. He can always catch up to me with each achievement, and the next and the next after I do them. But he can always DO everything I do. Do you get the point? Holiday items, which are meant for FUN anyways, go against that. No matter how long a newer player played, he can NEVER get those no matter what he does. And you DON'T deserve anything for attending the event. Attending the events is not time consuming nor does it require effort, which is probably why you like it - you're getting something for nothing. So those of us with Scythes, who required no effort to obtain them, should deny them to people who work their tails off for high level items like Godswords and Spirit shields? I don't think so.

Boohoo, people don't get what they deserve sometimes. I for one am glad the holiday items are achievable so easily - spending hundreds or thousands of hours of grinding is not my idea of fun, but getting something for free is.

Mop your tears, come to terms with the fact the scythe and bunny ears will never be yours (I personally missed the Wintumber tree and Thanksgiving Day emote + item, so I can empathise) and use your MANY hours of RuneScaping to buy a Phat, Mask or other tradable rare (if you play as much as you seem to indicate, it shouldn't take overly long). I honestly believe it will satisfy you as they even pre-date the scythe and are still available to new players.

Also, to the Jagex = God or the Government debate, I see them more as a government, who are stuck in a diplomatic role. Sure they have powers but realistically they can't use/abuse them for fear of upsetting and losing players. Interesting argument though.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The people on your side are whining just as much as the people on my side. The only difference is, we're more logical because we want a broken system fixed, and your side's excuses mostly consist of "I played longer than you so I'm special! Wah!". First off, perhaps some of US have played longer than YOU? Secondly, if you're so concerned about being SPECIAL in an online game meant for enjoyment, and that you should be treated better than other players even though you've done nothing to earn or achieve that status, your logic is a bit off. And "joining the game earlier" doesn't count as DOING something. That's a stupid excuse and I think we all know that. What I mean by DOING is what you ACHIEVE in the game by playing it.

I've also seen a few arguments like "oh, so old players shouldn't be rewarded? Then I guess we should just give everyone 99 stats since they didn't start years ago". This is one of the stupidest arguments you can come up with. The point is, and I'll make it clear: most anything I achieved in the past 8 years of RuneScape CAN BE ACHIEVED by a player who starts tomorrow. All they have to do is spend as much time as I did, in TOTAL. You could make the argument that if we each played for infinity time, I'd always be ahead, but other factors can change that, and the point isn't that I'm AHEAD, it's that the new player can ALWAYS achieve whatever I do at a later time. He can always catch up to me with each achievement, and the next and the next after I do them. But he can always DO everything I do. Do you get the point? Holiday items, which are meant for FUN anyways, go against that. No matter how long a newer player played, he can NEVER get those no matter what he does. And you DON'T deserve anything for attending the event. Attending the events is not time consuming nor does it require effort, which is probably why you like it - you're getting something for nothing. So those of us with Scythes, who required no effort to obtain them, should deny them to people who work their tails off for high level items like Godswords and Spirit shields? I don't think so.

These items do not give people an advantage over other players rendering your only point useless.

I bet you never even touched RS1 so don't even pretend you have a scythe kid.

From your attitude, it seems like you're the one who doesn't have a Scythe. FYI, I hated RSC and was very relieved when RS2 was released. I wish they would delete it already. It's an old crusty piece of software and I refuse to log on to it because it would be a waste of my time and is pointless. Gaining XP in RSC does nothing for my MODERN character. It doesn't have half the map area that RS2 does. It doesn't have many of the skills RS2 does, most of which are my favorites. It also looks extremely stupid; I know it's ten years old so I can't really blame Andrew, but it's 2009 now, not 1999, so we have no need to play it, remember it, or think about it. It's NOT a different game, it's an older version of the current one and has no use. It is frustrating that they don't treat it as such. Keeping old things around is nonsense behavior.

And to the comment about the stamps, they ARE worthless. Why? They are broken. The printing machines were oriented incorrectly. The stamps should have been destroyed before they were ever released (no one noticed?), or been recalled.

Hanging on to old things does nothing good. For example Japan has had digital TV and broadband Internet connections for I think around 20 years now, yet in the "great United States" there are still loads of people with dial-up connections, and their president recently delayed the switch over to digital TV for a few more months to cater to some idiots who've had YEARS AND YEARS to prepare. What's the use in that?

Now hopefully you can see the relation to my post from that last paragraph. You keep whining that I am complaining about holiday items because I don't have them. That is untrue. What frustrates me is STUPID THINGS. Discontinued holiday items are STUPID THINGS. I am not American, I don't like America, and I'll be glad to leave here soon. I don't even watch TV. However it FRUSTRATES me that the American president delays the switchover to digital TV to cater to a few incompetent people who won't upgrade their TVs, because it is stupid. That's their problem if they can't watch their TV. They can go buy a converter box.

Yet you complain Jagex isn't going to listen to the "20 people" who want holiday events changed. Well, the American president seems to be catering to the 1% of idiots who have had MORE THAN ENOUGH time to prepare for the switchover, so I don't see why Jagex wouldn't cater to a small percentage of the RuneScape population that dislikes holiday events, which may be and probably is lot a bigger percentage that you or even I expect.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

If you're just going to flame and ignore me, you might as well not post in the first place.

Mm, your tears are so yummy and sweet

That was :roll: , not :cry: . Which only further shows that you are indeed ignoring what I say. :P

These items do not give people an advantage over other players rendering your only point useless.

Having the ability to dress up in a different costume is an advantage.

What does that poll have to do with anything?

It proves that not everyone can go out and get their hands on a rare.

Yes, things like "More bank space" and "New servers." They'll never do any of that. :roll:

Bank space falls under "not technically possible at this time", as they have to upgrade the system to allow for bigger character files before they can add more bank space. Servers fall under discussed to death.

They've already said in past threads that they will not make it possible to obtain holiday event items if you weren't there for them, as it goes against the intent of the items in the first place.

two words Dragon Plate...

They said they had no plans on completing the dragon armor back in runescape classic, but changed that because of demand from players. There's a big difference between releasing a piece of armor everyone wants, and removing the exclusivity of a couple dozen items just because of about 20 whiny players.

You said it deals only with things that are not going to come out. Plus, a couple of suggestions on that list were actually responded to in the latest Q&A. So it's not like it's just stuff that is flat-out not going to happen.

Even if it was, this is not a speculation thread. I'm arguing that this change should be implemented, not that it will be implemented. Obviously Jagex's current policy disagrees with the suggestion I'm advocating, because I'm talking about a change in policy. I'm not trying to describe the status quo. I'm trying to argue for a change in the status quo.

nachalo

No, untradeables shouldn't be made availible to everyone because then there's no point in even doing the event because you can always get it next year. Perhaps offer a different color or sort of item as a 'replacement' if you didn't get one (and make it availble if you got the original as well) but you shouldn't be able to get them again; I never got a scythe, bunny ears, or a pumpkin and you don't see me whining.

From your attitude, it seems like you're the one who doesn't have a Scythe. FYI, I hated RSC and was very relieved when RS2 was released. I wish they would delete it already. It's an old crusty piece of software and I refuse to log on to it because it would be a waste of my time and is pointless. Gaining XP in RSC does nothing for my MODERN character. It doesn't have half the map area that RS2 does. It doesn't have many of the skills RS2 does, most of which are my favorites. It also looks extremely stupid; I know it's ten years old so I can't really blame Andrew, but it's 2009 now, not 1999, so we have no need to play it, remember it, or think about it. It's NOT a different game, it's an older version of the current one and has no use. It is frustrating that they don't treat it as such. Keeping old things around is nonsense behavior.

And to the comment about the stamps, they ARE worthless. Why? They are broken. The printing machines were oriented incorrectly. The stamps should have been destroyed before they were ever released (no one noticed?), or been recalled.

Hanging on to old things does nothing good. For example Japan has had digital TV and broadband Internet connections for I think around 20 years now, yet in the "great United States" there are still loads of people with dial-up connections, and their president recently delayed the switch over to digital TV for a few more months to cater to some idiots who've had YEARS AND YEARS to prepare. What's the use in that?

Now hopefully you can see the relation to my post from that last paragraph. You keep whining that I am complaining about holiday items because I don't have them. That is untrue. What frustrates me is STUPID THINGS. Discontinued holiday items are STUPID THINGS. I am not American, I don't like America, and I'll be glad to leave here soon. I don't even watch TV. However it FRUSTRATES me that the American president delays the switchover to digital TV to cater to a few incompetent people who won't upgrade their TVs, because it is stupid. That's their problem if they can't watch their TV. They can go buy a converter box.

Yet you complain Jagex isn't going to listen to the "20 people" who want holiday events changed. Well, the American president seems to be catering to the 1% of idiots who have had MORE THAN ENOUGH time to prepare for the switchover, so I don't see why Jagex wouldn't cater to a small percentage of the RuneScape population that dislikes holiday events, which may be and probably is lot a bigger percentage that you or even I expect.

If you don't like certain aspects of the game, then don't participate in those aspects. But don't presume to tell the rest of us how we should enjoy the game. You aren't up to it.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

[hide=]

[/hide]

sensitive much?

seriously dude you need to calm down, surprisingly enough your opinion has very little support because even if these items are "stupid" some classic players like a small token of days gone by. Just because you hate something doesnt mean it needs removed, and if you just find the stuff stupid maybe you should quit rs since it doesnt have state of the art graphics

The digital tv analogy is ridiculous, old collector items staying in existence hardly equates to a switch in technological infrastructre whether or not the delay was a good decision.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

Jard, I won't even bother wasting my time responding to your posts. Infact, I'm not going to bother watching you split hairs on this topic anymore.

It all comes down to "let me play how I want to and I'll let you play yours."

That's just it though. If holiday items are only re-obtainable after so many years of holiday events, it doesn't take away from their position as a symbol of your account's longevity, because you still need to have been playing for a long time to earn it. So nothing would be taken away from you.

And if completion of 5 or 6 Halloween events to get a scythe and 5 or 6 Easter events to get bunny ears is too low for you, you can always wear your scythe and bunny ears at the same time if you really care all that much. You'd still have 5 years before any new players can get new copies of them anyway.

That's it Jard, just let it all out. Tell us about your feelings, this angst and hatred you have towards everyone.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

That's just it though. If holiday items are only re-obtainable after so many years of holiday events, it doesn't take away from their position as a symbol of your account's longevity, because you still need to have been playing for a long time to earn it. So nothing would be taken away from you.

And if completion of 5 or 6 Halloween events to get a scythe and 5 or 6 Easter events to get bunny ears is too low for you, you can always wear your scythe and bunny ears at the same time if you really care all that much. You'd still have 5 years before any new players can get new copies of them anyway.

This is an interesting proposition, I guess I agree that 5 holidays would grant you a scythe/ears is a long enough time to have "earned" it. Assuming jagex could track this I agree it is a good idea.

awteno.jpg

Hanging on to old things does nothing good.

By that logic, we might as well destroy everything that's over 20 years old =\

Hell, what does that 3300 year old Mummy do to contribute to ANYTHING worthwhile? I mean, it's not like it's doing anything useful, right?

We'd better destroy it because it's so pointless. It's just sitting there...

/sarcasm

Why are you dragging RSC into this? This has nothing to do with that, we're talking about untradable holiday items, are we not?

Taking a Playstation 3 break.

card.png

Even though this is completely off topic the united states just might be a tad bit larger than japan...i dunno i havnt looked at a map in a while japan might have gotten some new land...the reason people still don't have some of these services is that it would cost in the hundreds of thousands to run a line out to just one persons house if they dont live near a major city.

Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle.

George S. Patton

1242631666.png

Hanging on to old things does nothing good.

By that logic, we might as well destroy everything that's over 20 years old =\

Hell, what does that 3300 year old Mummy do to contribute to ANYTHING worthwhile? I mean, it's not like it's doing anything useful, right?

We'd better destroy it because it's so pointless. It's just sitting there...

/sarcasm

Why are you dragging RSC into this? This has nothing to do with that, we're talking about untradable holiday items, are we not?

The difference is that RuneScape is a computer program. Mummies are kept because as humans, we want to learn about our history, and one way to do that is to find and preserve old things, because we CAN'T make new ones. RuneScape is a computer program. A law rune created 5 years ago and a law rune created today differ in no way. The system is TIMELESS. You can recreate any item regardless of when it originated. THAT is the difference. Sorry, but bad example.

Holiday items started in RSC. So it makes sense RSC is falling into the discussion slightly.

rs history includes bunny ears and sycthe

world history includes mummies

the only difference is that world history is clearly more important then rs history, since removing them has less of a "real" effect and it effects something less important it is a good analogy.

awteno.jpg

I think we should have year cape with the year you started on the back, but party hats and other rares should stay the way they are, they are a goal for lots of people without that their achievement would feel almost rewardless.

Ot: First post! \'

The only problem I see with this is the "giving players who own rares the cash equilivant" thing. This would bring a HUGE amount of money into the economy since there is A LOT of rares out there, not to mention some players would own way over the max amount in GP of rares, so I don't know how that would be dealt with.

The only way to permantly end the rares problem is just to out right make them untradeable and easy to get. There really is no other way around it.

your still going?

like some guy who posted up there said, theres quite a few people out there with 100s of masks and santas, if you just give him the money it would break the gp cap.

to your post, you are the uneffected percentage, so is everyone else without a rare. thats why no change will ever be made.

the complainers have nothing to complain about, but if they complain whats the reason? years of hatred built up of course, i see it in your posts all the time.

you probably had a phat then slowly convinced yourself to get 99 prayer now you are angry everytime you see a phat, lmfao.

other than that though you dont have to worry about phats as they are dropping everyday, the problem is still solving itself like i said 15 pages ago somewhere, the real problem is 3rd age and spirit shields, merchanters are having lots of fun with that right now.

Bbc_3.gif

4000000657th to 99 cookin

555555406th to 99 flethcin

nachalo

I dunno.. I'd be pissed off if every single player was walking around with bunny ears, only true 'old time' players have those. [Caution: Jagex Rule Violation]s are more common but still i would hate to see them go.

Like really.. what would you rather have, a pumpkin and a partyhat, or a yoyo, bunny ears and a [Caution: Jagex Rule Violation]?

regarding the rares maybe a good idea though, but only the tradeable ones.

A pumpkin and party hat, because then I could sell the worthless pieces of cabbage and get some more 99 capes.

i think i understand why we dont see eye to eye, i dont have much respect for buyable skills.

anything buyable is boring, thats why rares arnt special, you are strongly into buying skills though like 99 prayer lmfao.

not like i care much though.

Bbc_3.gif

4000000657th to 99 cookin

555555406th to 99 flethcin

nachalo

I dunno.. I'd be pissed off if every single player was walking around with bunny ears, only true 'old time' players have those. [Caution: Jagex Rule Violation]s are more common but still i would hate to see them go.

Like really.. what would you rather have, a pumpkin and a partyhat, or a yoyo, bunny ears and a [Caution: Jagex Rule Violation]?

regarding the rares maybe a good idea though, but only the tradeable ones.

A pumpkin and party hat, because then I could sell the worthless pieces of cabbage and get some more 99 capes.

i think i understand why we dont see eye to eye, i dont have much respect for buyable skills.

anything buyable is boring, thats why rares arnt special, you are strongly into buying skills though like 99 prayer lmfao.

not like i care much though.

I'm into skills period, because they are achievements. Rares aren't game achievements, they're items.

I'm into skills period, because they are achievements. Rares aren't game achievements, they're items.

I don't know about that... Achievements are in the eye of the beholder.

Some would argue that amassing 300mil and being able to buy a Blue Phat is an achievement of some sort. You don't see it that way. Some would say that simply buying a skill is not an achievement, but obviously you see it that way. See what I'm getting at?

Taking a Playstation 3 break.

card.png

I don't know about that... Achievements are in the eye of the beholder.

Some would argue that amassing 300mil and being able to buy a Blue Phat is an achievement of some sort. You don't see it that way. Some would say that simply buying a skill is not an achievement, but obviously you see it that way. See what I'm getting at?

I mean achievement in a different definition. Completing quests and gaining skills advances your account... your character, while rares are simply a possession and do not really "add" anything to your account. I guess what I'm getting at is the difference between permanent and impermanent achievements. I can do all the quests, get all the skills to 99, get all the music, and have them forever. A party hat, I can lose at any time.

I'm not writing that stupid word, but I read it all, what happens to those of us who have enough hats that we hit the money cap and end up losing hundreds of millions of gold because of it? Plus, the items are a ornamental thing, they do nothing. Its not being discriminated to those who don't have them, as they can easily just save up and buy them. If they don't want to go through that effort they don't deserve the item, and if a person held onto a hat this long, kudos to them, they were the ones who lost their bank/invent spaces holding onto an initially worthless item. :?

oversized.jpg[/bads]

I think it would be a decent thing, one thing ive always hated about runescape was the knowledge that no matter what i did, or how hard i tried, or how big and powerful and insanely awesum i was at this game, i would never be able to get bunny ears, or a scythe, ever.

I don't like the idea with the removing party hats, etc.

Unless i resorted to hacking, but then i would end up with a stupid name with 20000 numbers at the end.

O.O