The Contemporary Spellbook

sees_all1

Uh. You know how much money an average GWDer risks? 1m is hardly much, and Dust runes=1 space.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Misc: Abyssal Whip x28 , Dark Bow x5, Beserker Ring x3, Warrior ring x1

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"5 laws * 300 = 1500 per cast, how much do prayer pots cost?"

a lot more then that. as of right now, a 1 dose p pot is 2049.

A Prayer potion is an item that restores 7 to 31 Prayer points per dose[1]. The formula for this seems to be 7 + (prayer level / 4). It appears to be a vial containing an aquamarine fluid.

So, a prayer potion costs 2050, and restores from 7 to 31 Prayer points.... versus this spell which costs 1500 per cast, and restores up to 15?

I don't think that ruins the balance.

Thing is the Law runes are stackable, unlike Prayer potions.

So should we get rid of Summoning Scrolls then?

wow i just saw the replacement of ppots idea with law runes...

can you imagine somebody camping at chins till 99 range using that spell? lol i can u get mage and ranger xp same time, no need to bank, etc.

EDIT: or doing sara gwd with that spell, unicorn healing, and b2p tabs (i dont sara but it makes sense u would have endless kills if im thinking correctly)

i do think that mages overall need a spark. compared to World of Warcraft or Maplestory or Guildwars (throwing online games into a list idk) the mage system in runescape sucks terribly, but then again the WHOLE COMBAT SYSTEM in runescape sucks...

nashv.png

Pixel Signature Made By Me.

That prayer spell is still a touch bit overpowered.

Stackable +15 if you have really good mage gear and you're a high level? That makes mages way too good.

Considering that the price of laws would go WAY up (A good 50-100 gp) with your spellbook idea, that's not super bad, but it could loose some ability.

How about, at the same level you learn praise, you learn Lucky Swig, a spell that increases the effectiveness of random stat affecting foods and potions [Dane's curry? This prayer potion?] to maximum for 30 minutes to 45 minutes, but can only be cast once every 2 hours. This would keep things more balanced.

There is also the fact that your spellbook would make afk power mining and other forms of illegal training easier.

How about having a random event associated with casting spells of this particular spell-book? Like a glitch caused by casting these "new" spells? Maybe make it somewhat dangerous and tricky to keep those marcoing cheaters away. So these marcos can't just sit there and mine iron and use that dump load spell. Macros are getting more powerful, so therefore runescape needs new random events anyway.

And then there's this wcutting one. I'd say lengthen the time between casting this spell to 30 minutes to make is a bit more fair, and to shut these complainers about this spell up. [i plan to demonstrate why it is a nice spell and not unfair or overpowering soon.]

I think this is a totally awesome idea, I'll try to publicize it in some way. Call me a supporter.

And I still am not done just yet. Of all of you complaining about how this spellbook is cheap and way too powerful? It's not. Have any of you tried to be a f2p mage in clan wars? You get screwed by the melee'ers so fast and so early in the game. You don't use blast spells because the deaths are way to expensive. Excessively expensive for mass use.

Which brings us to another point. The Fist of Guthix is the only time in which this book becomes cheap as hell. Being able to fire the superbad spells without going broke at that point, the other person is as good as dead before 500 charges. I have yet another solution that rides on the idea that the spell-book has been recently created. The book doesn't work properly around the fist and the accuracy of the spells is cut by a quarter and power of the spells are cut in half. Problemo fixo.

My work here is done.

"Which brings us to another point. The Fist of Guthix is the only time in which this book becomes cheap as hell. Being able to fire the superbad spells without going broke at that point, the other person is as good as dead before 500 charges. I have yet another solution that rides on the idea that the spell-book has been recently created. The book doesn't work properly around the fist and the accuracy of the spells is cut by a quarter and power of the spells are cut in half. Problemo fixo."

that happens to me anyways. -.-

Paragon.png

This spellbook attempts to do a few things:

1. Stop Player Jumpers from hitting you when you're about to beat an opponent

How?

2. Give use to other skills, and not just have a completely PVP spellbook

Like... uhh... lunar spellbook?

- Why do we need super alchemy? Is it absolutely necessary to mess up the price of every single item in the game?

- Spells shouldn't require hundreds of runes. Replace them with more expensive types.

- What's the point of random teleports? Can you use them to teleport through walls? (If yes, Taverly dungeon -> Entrana dungeon?)

Regarding inventory space:

In F2P magic, I often find myself at a disadvantage because my runes take up so many spaces that I can't utilize for food storage. This means that in a 1v1 situation, the odds are against me to come out on top because I have less food than my opponent does.

Regarding debuffs:

Also, a revision to the debuff spells is a good thing. 5%-10% decreases in my opponent's attack, strength, or defense do not give me, the magi, a substantial edge over my opponent. Additionally, in order to utilize those debuff spells, I need to bring mind runes (F2P) or soul runes (P2P), which also take up an extra space.

The time it takes to cast all 3 debuff spells (Confuse, Weaken, & Curse) is far too long. Wouldn't it be more reasonable to create 1 spell which lowers attack, strength, and defense in one cast, instead of having to cast 3 spells for 3 separate effects? This would be far more practical from a PvP perspective.

Also, let's not forget that we don't want these spells helping out meleers & rangers. For instance, we don't want a ranger casting debuffs & simply continuing to use ranged; from what I gather, these spells are intended to benefit magic combat, not melee or ranged combat.

Regarding cost:

Part of what makes melee combat so appealing is the low cost. You buy armor & weapons and that's it, you're set for melee combat for the rest of eternity. Additionally, you can sell your armor and weapons back for just the same amount of money you bought them for!

This is not so for a magi like myself. I have to continuously pay money for every spell I cast. Believe me when I say that I would have a lot more fun being a magi if I knew that my spells cost very little to cast, and I wouldn't have to spend "x" amount of hours merching/skilling to get back the money I lost from casting expensive spells.

What can we do about high magic costs? Give mages a chance to get multiple casts out of 1 rune. Yes, this may seem quite radical at first, but rangers get a similar game mechanism with their arrows. Why shouldn't we?

My 2 cents.

final.gif

]- What's the point of random teleports? Can you use them to teleport through walls? (If yes, Taverly dungeon -> Entrana dungeon?)

I'd use random teleports to get away from melee in things like clan wars.

So one doesn't get melee'd. [As seen in his sig.]

You did bring up a good point I didn't think about. We don't want anybody going through walls.

The time it takes to cast all 3 debuff spells (Confuse, Weaken, & Curse) is far too long. Wouldn't it be more reasonable to create 1 spell which lowers attack, strength, and defense in one cast, instead of having to cast 3 spells for 3 separate effects? This would be far more practical from a PvP perspective.

Also, let's not forget that we don't want these spells helping out meleers & rangers. For instance, we don't want a ranger casting debuffs & simply continuing to use ranged; from what I gather, these spells are intended to benefit magic combat, not melee or ranged combat.

How about the bluff spells in this book also reduce YOUR strenght and YOUR ranged by 3. That would keep rangers and meleers away from those spells.

And now that I'm thinking about it, the spells that increase EXP or speed in skills aren't really that great, and people are only complaining about them.

That prayer spell is still a touch bit overpowered.

Stackable +15 if you have really good mage gear and you're a high level? That makes mages way too good.

Considering that the price of laws would go WAY up (A good 50-100 gp) with your spellbook idea, that's not super bad, but it could loose some ability.

So, people will realize that this spell is better than prayer potions. So - law runes go up a little bit, or prayer potions go down a little bit. Prices are not fixed here, there is still an economy. Things will reach an equilibrium so that "praise" will equal prayer pots in the long run.

How about, at the same level you learn praise, you learn Lucky Swig, a spell that increases the effectiveness of random stat affecting foods and potions [Dane's curry? This prayer potion?] to maximum for 30 minutes to 45 minutes, but can only be cast once every 2 hours. This would keep things more balanced.

Help me out with this one? Could you explain it with more examples?

There is also the fact that your spellbook would make afk power mining and other forms of illegal training easier.

How about having a random event associated with casting spells of this particular spell-book? Like a glitch caused by casting these "new" spells? Maybe make it somewhat dangerous and tricky to keep those marcoing cheaters away. So these marcos can't just sit there and mine iron and use that dump load spell. Macros are getting more powerful, so therefore runescape needs new random events anyway.

Give me 10 minutes, and I can write a program in Java that will do the same thing as dump load, without a cosmic rune, in less time. Give me an hour and I can perfect it to be almos untraceable by Jagex's macro detection software. The only thing stopping me is because it would cheapen my efforts thus far, and I don't want to risk my account getting banned. Macroers right now aren't concerned about getting their accounts banned, and it isn't difficult to do a "dump load". It'll just make it easier for legit power miners.

I think this is a totally awesome idea, I'll try to publicize it in some way. Call me a supporter.

Which brings us to another point. The Fist of Guthix is the only time in which this book becomes cheap as hell. Being able to fire the superbad spells without going broke at that point, the other person is as good as dead before 500 charges. I have yet another solution that rides on the idea that the spell-book has been recently created. The book doesn't work properly around the fist and the accuracy of the spells is cut by a quarter and power of the spells are cut in half. Problemo fixo.

... that goes both ways. If you're good at hiding, you can get 2k+ charges with a level 20 with 10 defense against some of the best players on crowded worlds. I'm not too concerned about this and FoG.

How?

Do I seriously need to tick off the spells for you?

-Push

-Disport

-Shove

-Debase

-Disport Opponent

-Cement

-Blackout

-Bond

-Flak Blast

2. Give use to other skills, and not just have a completely PVP spellbook

Like... uhh... lunar spellbook?

- Why do we need super alchemy? Is it absolutely necessary to mess up the price of every single item in the game?

- Spells shouldn't require hundreds of runes. Replace them with more expensive types.

- What's the point of random teleports? Can you use them to teleport through walls? (If yes, Taverly dungeon -> Entrana dungeon?)

-No, I thought this one would look more like the normal spellbook. Not all combat, not all non-combat.

-Super alchemy won't "mess up the price of all items" - just the "expensive" ones that are near their minimum price (i.e. useless except to alch). But, since the price is ultimately controlled by the players, these items would change to reflect their new super alch prices, and the profit margins would be slim to none in the long run. Short run, there would be profit to be made for some items.

-The spells that require "hundreds of runes" - Hurricane, Awareness, and Flak Blast. Awareness is a F2P spell, so using "more expensive runes" is out. Flak Blast and Hurricane are two super-powerful spells, and so the 100's of runes required make the cost that much more, and it attempts to keep the price of runes relatively stable.

-Random Teleport spells are part of the thing that address your first concern - how does it prevent pjers?

A random teleport might put you in a room, but it wouldn't move you to another area (i.e. casting random teleport by al kharid and lumbridge would never get you past the gate, would never get you into the mining guild, would never get you to the nature spawn in the wildy, would never put you in lava or water).

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I don't think F2P can get pure essence for the quest :lol: :wall:

Other than that, I support

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

In light of the fact that you're proposing so many new spells, it would be better to also propose a system of organizing the spells in a menu that you can rearrange. For instance, you can click and drag a spell icon and position it anywhere in the spell book you please. Thus, spells will be easily accessible to you during combat.

final.gif

Laws would skyrocket (Not a bad thing, except to those people training via teleporting :roll: , might bring back Law running or other things.) and Prayer potions would go way way down, since in almost EVERY situation, (GWD, Slayer task, etc.) inventory space is a luxury, and "Praise" would make Prayer potions literally useless except for maybe couple Slayer tasks.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Misc: Abyssal Whip x28 , Dark Bow x5, Beserker Ring x3, Warrior ring x1

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

Laws would skyrocket (Not a bad thing, except to those people training via teleporting :roll: , might bring back Law running or other things.) and Prayer potions would go way way down, since in almost EVERY situation, (GWD, Slayer task, etc.) inventory space is a luxury, and "Praise" would make Prayer potions literally useless except for maybe couple Slayer tasks.

I remember not so long ago that laws cost 500-1k each, depending on the quantity you would buy. Now, not so much.

Praise only makes prayer potions "useless" for people with magic over 88 - so lower level people would still need prayer pots.

♪♪ And I'm not done

I support,

although I am opposed to the drop all spell it would make power training much to easy

Do you know how boring powermining is?

I1lll wrote:

Quote:

How?

Do I seriously need to tick off the spells for you?

-Push

-Disport

-Shove

-Debase

-Disport Opponent

-Cement

-Blackout

-Bond

-Flak Blast

Agreed, these spells are very useful against pjers but what about something more direct, like increasing the "in combat" time to say 20 seconds. It should preferably be low leveled. Sure, all those spells are effective against MELEE pjers, but what about ranged pjers? Don't tell me ranged is supposed to own mage, I know that but they aren't supposed to pj people too, like melee.

Your black and white picture still fails i need to "sign up" to download it, and i can't see it normally.

By all means, do it properly.

Ok, i braved the amazing visual eyesore that is green on grey background, and i have to say its fairly well balanced, sept for the spell that makes pulse spells stronger.

Fire pulse, 22 dmg, + the charge spell = 33 damage? Bit powerful if you ask me.

Awareness ....... 95 ..... 10 D, 500 M ...... F . Increases max hits of pulse spells by 50% for

..................................................5 minutes, lowers defense by 30%. Lowers

..................................................accuracy y 25%.

+

Flak Blast ...... 96 ..... 10 B, 200A 300E .. P . Knocks everything back up to 9 spaces, and up

..................................................to 20 damage.

+

Hurricane* ...... 92 ..... 20 B, 100 A 100 W P . Decreases time to cast spells by 40%. Lasts for

..................................................20 casts. Decreases max hit by 20%. Uses 1/4

..................................................special bar.

+Flak Blast ...... 96 ..... 10 B, 200A 300E .. P . Knocks everything back up to 9 spaces, and up

..................................................to 20 damage.

Is what 25-30 damage, with faster than scimitar speed, and knocking the players back whenever they get to close.

O.O

Cement, Bond, Flak Blast: How is the target chosen in singlecombat areas? Is there anything that prevents PJing with dark bow?

Disport: I'm probably missing something here, but why would you use random teleports when you could... ehh... teleport to lumbridge / house?

Disport opponent: I can already see PJers using this spells: right after you've defeated your opponent you get teleported away.

- I ask again: Why do we need super alchemy? :|

Your black and white picture still fails i need to "sign up" to download it, and i can't see it normally.

By all means, do it properly.

Ok, i braved the amazing visual eyesore that is green on grey background, and i have to say its fairly well balanced, sept for the spell that makes pulse spells stronger.

Fire pulse, 22 dmg, + the charge spell = 33 damage? Bit powerful if you ask me.

Once again, sorry about the image.

photobucket resized it so it wasn't visible, and this other site is being a bit of a [bleep]. You could've copied and pasted whats there into your favorite text editor.

I could change Awareness to a P2P spell, as some other people were having problems with it. Seems that P2P's ancients are about 1.5x the power of the pulse spells here, and they have effects built in that make them nearly unstoppable.

This spellbook wasn't meant to be as powerful as ancients, but it wasn't meant to stink as a combat spellbook either.

Cement, Bond, Flak Blast: How is the target chosen in singlecombat areas? Is there anything that prevents PJing with dark bow?

Disport: I'm probably missing something here, but why would you use random teleports when you could... ehh... teleport to lumbridge / house?

Disport opponent: I can already see PJers using this spells: right after you've defeated your opponent you get teleported away.

- I ask again: Why do we need super alchemy? :|

With Push, Shove - You can cast these spells on anyone, even the person who isn't hitting you. They get knocked back up to the spell's respective max, and it takes a certain amount of time before they're allowed to run back towards you.

Cement and Bond affect a large area, anyone in the 5x5 or 7x7 from the person who is cast on (they're in the middle) is affected.

Flak Blast - In a 1v1 combat area, everyone who is within your level, in a n by n box around you gets knocked back up to 9 spaces, but only the person who most recently hit you is affected by the "up to 20" damage it does. If there is no "most recent hit" in the area, the person closest to your combat level (provided they're in the tolerance) - and if two people are the same combat level, its random.

In a multi combat area - everyone within your level gets hit in the box around you.

Disport-

Say my push and shove spells aren't as effective on a certain individual as I'd like them to be. I can't hold them at a range and hit them at the same time. In a desperate attempt, I myself will teleport away, hit and repeat. Or, say that my opponent is running away and I get stuck behind a wall. Its a gamble, but disport might just put me next to them. Or, there's a ditch or fence, and my opponent is on the same side. Disport, and perhaps I'll be on the other side?

Disport Opponent- Say I've got my opponent on the ropes, and they're starting to run. I can cement them, but another person might try and PJ to save my opponent. I cast Disport Opponent on them, and they're far enough that I can cast another spell on my opponent now. It could also trap them behind a fence or ditch as I was describing with disport. Its a more interesting version of push/shove.

I guess PJers could use Disport Opponent on you after you've defeated your opponent, but keep in mind that it only moves you up to 30 spaces away - which is about maybe half a minimap. 30 spaces isn't enough to keep you from getting your loot. I might add in a 30 - 60 second limit on how many times it can be cast on one person.

♪♪ And I'm not done

There are 4 spells sort of like this:

Thicken Skin .... 52 ..... 2 N,  2 M ........ F . Boosts or heals HP by 8 (does not stack),

..................................................minimum 10 minutes between casts.

Sheath .......... 69 ..... 2 N,  2 Ch, 2 M .. P . Boosts or heals HP by 12 (does not stack),

..................................................requires 10 minutes between casts.

Super Sheath .... 84 ..... 3 N,  4 S,  20 M . P . Boosts or heals HP by 16 (does not stack),

..................................................requires 10 minutes before casting again.

Sheath Other .... 97 ..... 4 N,  4 S ........ P . Boosts or Heals another's HP by 16 (can not stack)

So every 10 minutes, a P2Per can heal up to 36, or 20 and boost their hp by 16.

If they have a friend, then it would be 52 healing or 36 healing and 16 boost.

(Although this method is costly)

♪♪ And I'm not done

Woohoo!I really love this idea =D> I love those teleport ideas and the the "super apparate" thing :thumbsup: can't tell you how much I hate having to use fairy rings to get to Piscatoris (CBA to check the spelling) Is there an RSOF post I can go to so as to make sure JaGex knows of my support?

P.S. I love you! :shock:

I resemble that remark!

Achieved quest cape for first time on: 4-2-09 WOOHOO!

Beat Nomad on 6-24-10 WOOHOO!.

331bfcd139.png

Woohoo!I really love this idea =D> I love those teleport ideas and the the "super apparate" thing :thumbsup: can't tell you how much I hate having to use fairy rings to get to Piscatoris (CBA to check the spelling) Is there an RSOF post I can go to so as to make sure JaGex knows of my support?

P.S. I love you! :shock:

u don't have to BA, spellings right! congratulations on first correct spelling of Piscatoris! :lol:

Paragon.png

Come to think of it, I don't think that push spells are a good idea. They are difficult to program from a java standpoint and they cannot be effective in a closed area. Imagine how difficult it would be to create a pushback spell which somehow avoids all the obstacles of the Runescape world. There are simply too many variables to account for.

Instead, I would recommend replacing your push spells with ones that force your opponent to walk even more slowly than they usually do. Another practical approach would be to simply have the spells drain massive amounts of your opponent's run energy with each hit, thereby making it nearly impossible for the meleer to successfully catch up with the mage.

Your push spells are impractical, in my opinion.

You have my support for most other parts of your spellbook, though.

final.gif