The Contemporary Spellbook

sees_all1

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice. Me laiks. :thumbsup:

Maybe this could be combined with a new high-level F2P quest? ;)

Feel free to add me on the support list. ::'

I was figuring that's how it would be obtained, but as far what goes into writing a quest - IDK. I'm not very good with dialogue either, all those witty parallelisms or puns.

As far as the meat of the tasks in the quest - collecting research from all sorts of people? Killing a new F2P boss with the current spell books?

Figure with such an awesome reward like this, there needs to be some pretty difficult tasks, as hard or even harder than the current dragon slayer tasks.

Well, I'll work on that.

-Sees

Dragon slayer is not that hard. I think this should be even harder or like desert treasure and lunar diplomacy quests, as they unlock a new spellbook too and are harder than this one. Make it to find some things for the WOM to enchant the book.

Also see that casting these spells in FOG would make it very very hard. rofl.

I like the spells and all the time you spend on this :)

I support...

Juxter.png

Quest cape achieved on 7/11/2010.

You'd have to be some sort of masochist to want to be a forum moderator on the RSOF. They're honestly better off, imo.

The token reqs for FoG should be increased. Don't listen to whiners who tell you to decrease it. Its so easy I laughed at it. I personally have not played GoP so I don't know about that but if you feel its fit, just put it in. Those people are just stating their opinion that it is too hard, without any evidence for it.

Looks pretty good to me. Although I will say that the quest seems a bit too much along the lines One Small Favor (in that all you really do are chore-like tasks; one fight doesn't offset this*) and your robes need a bit of a stat boost (modern requires 90 magic to wear and yet they give a lower mage attack bonus than ahrim's (ahrim's gives a total of +58 mage attack with only a hood, robetop and robeskirt while full modern only gives +49 while taking the helmet, top, bottom, and sheild slots)).

*I don't necessarily say this because I want the quest to be easier. I just want to let you know that, with the way the quest looks right now, most people (probably including myself) aren't going to like it at all. I think that, to make it a bit more entertaining, I would change it so that the wizards at the wizard tower make you go through a gauntlet, hidden underneath the tower, full of traps, puzzles, and, in some parts, monsters. If you can make it through, you are worthy of the spellbook and able to return to fight the monsters in the gauntlet (or maybe have a cash reward for each subsequent time you make it through; somewhat like the Fight Caves).

Of course this would mean that it would take longer to code and everything, but I think this would just be amazing and would provide a much easier way of increasing the requirements.

EDIT:

The token reqs for FoG should be increased. Don't listen to whiners who tell you to decrease it. Its so easy I laughed at it. I personally have not played GoP so I don't know about that but if you feel its fit, just put it in. Those people are just stating their opinion that it is too hard, without any evidence for it.

It's not that it's too hard, but that it's too time-consuming. While Guthix Sleeps took me ~6 hours (possibly longer) to do (using a guide only when I was really stcuck). With 3 hours (minimum) spent at just FoG, I could see this quest surpassing that 6-hour mark way too easily.

Also, I would like to suggest that you use a quote box instead of a code box. The green text of the code box makes it hard for some people (myself included) to read it.

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

your robes need a bit of a stat boost (modern requires 90 magic to wear and yet they give a lower mage attack bonus than ahrim's (ahrim's gives a total of +58 mage attack with only a hood, robetop and robeskirt while full modern only gives +49 while taking the helmet, top, bottom, and sheild slots)).

Alright, what are your suggestions then?

*I don't necessarily say this because I want the quest to be easier. I just want to let you know that, with the way the quest looks right now, most people (probably including myself) aren't going to like it at all. I think that, to make it a bit more entertaining, I would change it so that the wizards at the wizard tower make you go through a gauntlet, hidden underneath the tower, full of traps, puzzles, and, in some parts, monsters. If you can make it through, you are worthy of the spellbook and able to return to fight the monsters in the gauntlet (or maybe have a cash reward for each subsequent time you make it through; somewhat like the Fight Caves).

So, I'll brainstorm how to incorporate the trapdoor in the RC Guild. Any suggestions from this would be helpful as well.

Also, I would like to suggest that you use a quote box instead of a code box. The green text of the code box makes it hard for some people (myself included) to read it.

Sorry about that - I've changed it so that most of the stuff is in hide tags, and only the formatted parts are in code boxes. Eventually I'll make images again, but I'm swamped as it is.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

your robes need a bit of a stat boost (modern requires 90 magic to wear and yet they give a lower mage attack bonus than ahrim's (ahrim's gives a total of +58 mage attack with only a hood, robetop and robeskirt while full modern only gives +49 while taking the helmet, top, bottom, and sheild slots)).

Alright, what are your suggestions then?

I would make the mage attack stats something more like this:

Contemporary Hat F   6

Contemporary Top F  31

Contemporary Bot F  22

subtotals: 59

Sage Hat         P   7

Sage Top         P  34

Sage Bottom      P  25

Sage Shield      P   4

subtotals: 70

Arcanist Hat     P   8

Arcanist Top     P  37

Arcanist Bottom  P  28

Arcanist Shield  P   7

subtotals: 80

Of course these also run the risk of being overpowered (especially the F2P ones). If you feel they are, I suggest just removing the shield as that is what caused the larger jumps in stats. Either that or you could bring down level requirements to justify lower stats.

So, I'll brainstorm how to incorporate the trapdoor in the RC Guild. Any suggestions from this would be helpful as well.

First off, don't put it in the RC Guild. I'd put the trapdoor (or possibly a secret door) in the basement, have it lead down a few flights of stairs, and then open up into a fairly large chamber where there is a bank chest and Grayzag (I'd still leave your original quest start with having to bring Grayzag stuff) waiting for you.

From here, Grayzag would tell you that, to be able to prove your worthiness of the spells, you must go through a series of challenge-filled caves (I suck with coming up with good names, so I leave that to you) and collect a bunch of pages with the spells on them (I almost said one spell/page, but that'd make the quest quite long; maybe have it start with 1 spell/page and then increase as you go). The spell pages go in order by level and, if you fail part-way through the caves, you get to keep those pages that you did manage to get and can come back to try for the rest (but you always have to start from the beginning, though).

The challenges could be anything from having to figure out how to open a door to get to the page and the entrance to the next room to being attacked by a (high-leveled) monster when you go to grab the page to having the page in a locked chest with some sort of puzzle/riddle as the lock.

Sorry about that - I've changed it so that most of the stuff is in hide tags, and only the formatted parts are in code boxes. Eventually I'll make images again, but I'm swamped as it is.

Thank you. It's much easier to read now. And don't bother making images containing the spell/equipment descriptions/stats; text works just as good.

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

Hey, I was thinking the other day. A lot of people complain about Mage has terrible defense, even against melee, right? How about giving f2p mage a counter spell? Something like a less powerful Vengeance, if you will.

It would sort-of-but-not-really solve the mage's defense, since it gives a mage better protection, but at a bigger cost than just getting better robes.

Just a thought.

I support.. On one condition..

That Architect thing I think should be removed. I personally love Con, But I think that this is an unfair advantage to one of the biggest money-drains in the game. Even if it doesn't last long (BTW you didn't state the time it lasts) I still think it should be removed.

I still support though. (And I don't even like Magic! \' )

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

I personally love Con, But I think that this is an unfair advantage to one of the biggest money-drains in the game. Even if it doesn't last long (BTW you didn't state the time it lasts) I still think it should be removed.

Architect ....... 72 ..... 4 S,  4 As ....... P . Doubles experience of next 10 construction

..................................................builds. Can only be cast once per 20 minutes.

Can only be cast once every 20 minutes, and it only lasts for 10 builds. What's there not to understand about it?

♪♪ And I'm not done

Let's see, you really threw everything in there. Make combat a joke by proving FTP with a spell book far more powerful then member's current spell book, which itself dominates all forms of MEMBERS combat. Ruin several skills like construction and woodcutting. Thrown the economy into chaos with a new 'ubier alch' spell available to FTP that results in insane profits from items like Dragon Halberd. Silence the critics by devoting half of your page to supporters. Yeah, I'm not touching this one with a ten foot pole. You know where I stand, and I have reasons to back it up.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Double XP from 10 construction builds, can be cast every 20 minutes.

20% faster woodcutting for 10 minutes, then 20 minutes until new cast.

I can't really see these spells doing a difference that would be major enough to ruin a skill.

Super Alchemy ... 90 ..... 4 N,  40 F ....... P . Converts an item to gold, at high alch levels,

..................................................+75% difference between high and low levels.

Super Alchemy is marked as a P2P spell. (it's the lonely P next to the description)

Master of Attack ~ August 29th, 2010

Proud to have served the awesome Tip.It Crew <3

4bbb67ec44.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

@compfreak - please READ it and not SKIM it, you'll miss certain details that balance it.

Your spellbook is not easy on the eyes, non bold dark green on a grey background dosent help me at all.

As such, im not going to read the spellbook until you make it readable.

Sorry, that's just the "Code" format... I'll turn it back into an image soon enough.

♪♪ And I'm not done

Hmmm the spell that increases your prayer by 25% sorta removes the point of prayer potions :wall: + cost a lot less and super alchemy does not sound too good for the economy might as well just call the spell "super inflation" Printing money when you don't have it is always a bad idea :lol:.

But as for balancing f2p magic i think most of the spells are a good idea... such as the one where it moves your enemy away from you so many squares and spells that decrease damage taken as well as the one that teleports you away to a random spot near your enemy. I also liked the ripple spells that hit 3x faster and the harder hitting combat spells. The healing spells seem less than helpful healing a minor 8-16(?) and only being able to cast every(5-15 mins?)

Support. :thumbup:

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

As promised, I've put the book back into an image, and I've kept the text. Sorry about the dark green on dark blue, that's just your settings, and I don't know how to change the color for the CODE tags, or even one that would suit everyone.

Hmmm the spell that increases your prayer by 25% sorta removes the point of prayer potions :wall: + cost a lot less and super alchemy does not sound too good for the economy might as well just call the spell "super inflation" Printing money when you don't have it is always a bad idea :lol:.

Praise - requires 5 laws, recharges prayer by up to 15, level 88 spell.

5 laws * 300 = 1500 per cast, how much do prayer pots cost?

Super alchemy - requires 4 nats, gives High Alch level + .75 * (High Alch - Low Alch). level 90 spell.

Sample High alchs:

Dragon Scimitar - 75k vs 60k current

Dragon Halberd - 243k vs 195k current

Green D'hide Body - 5850 vs 4680 current

Compfreak said the Halberd would be a serious problem, I don't think so. People would realize it's a money maker, demand would go up, and it'd match the current super alch price - cost of nats within a week or two.

But as for balancing f2p magic i think most of the spells are a good idea... such as the one where it moves your enemy away from you so many squares and spells that decrease damage taken as well as the one that teleports you away to a random spot near your enemy. I also liked the ripple spells that hit 3x faster and the harder hitting combat spells. The healing spells seem less than helpful healing a minor 8-16(?) and only being able to cast every(5-15 mins?)

They boost your health too. So before going into the fight you could have 96/80.

Anyhow, can I put you down as a supporter?

♪♪ And I'm not done

"5 laws * 300 = 1500 per cast, how much do prayer pots cost?"

a lot more then that. as of right now, a 1 dose p pot is 2049.

A Prayer potion is an item that restores 7 to 31 Prayer points per dose[1]. The formula for this seems to be 7 + (prayer level / 4). It appears to be a vial containing an aquamarine fluid.

So, a prayer potion costs 2050, and restores from 7 to 31 Prayer points.... versus this spell which costs 1500 per cast, and restores up to 15?

I don't think that ruins the balance.

♪♪ And I'm not done

you turned the underpowered mage into an overpowered mage hah... that drop all (ore for example) spell is a big no no its just asking to speed up the ways of botting... and the 1/2 coal spell with distort the material economy by ALOT.

if you make it even to the other skills i see jagex adding f2p spells and armor into consideration.

nashv.png

Pixel Signature Made By Me.

"5 laws * 300 = 1500 per cast, how much do prayer pots cost?"

a lot more then that. as of right now, a 1 dose p pot is 2049.

A Prayer potion is an item that restores 7 to 31 Prayer points per dose[1]. The formula for this seems to be 7 + (prayer level / 4). It appears to be a vial containing an aquamarine fluid.

So, a prayer potion costs 2050, and restores from 7 to 31 Prayer points.... versus this spell which costs 1500 per cast, and restores up to 15?

I don't think that ruins the balance.

Thing is the Law runes are stackable, unlike Prayer potions.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Misc: Abyssal Whip x28 , Dark Bow x5, Beserker Ring x3, Warrior ring x1

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

you turned the underpowered mage into an overpowered mage hah... that drop all (ore for example) spell is a big no no its just asking to speed up the ways of botting... and the 1/2 coal spell with distort the material economy by ALOT.

if you make it even to the other skills i see jagex adding f2p spells and armor into consideration.

I think people are more likely to write a bot now to help themselves mine than they would if there was a spell that automatically did that for them: for the simple purpose to save your wrists.

Its not very difficult to write a program that quickly moves back and forth, left clicking and right clicking and such, its way all the way though 27 different ores, compared to completing randoms or mining at the correct times.

Heck, I see that spell helping honest miner's wrists much more than it would help someone programming a bot.

As for super fuse and "the economy", lets take a look at the numbers.

2x nature rune: ~440 gp

2x cosmic rune: ~300 gp

ignoring fire runes, this spell costs 740gp to cast

iron bar - 225 ea, iron ore 95 gp. So 95+740 > 225*2 - doesn't change anything

steel bar - 620 ea, 1 coal 180 gp. So 180+95+740 > 620 - doesn't change anything

mithril bar - 1160 ea, 1 mith 247 gp. So 247+2*180+740 > 1160 - doesn't change anything

addy bar - 2360 ea, 1 addy 1070 gp. So 1070 + 3*180 + 740 = 2350 < 2360 by 10....

rune bar - 17.3k ea, 1 runite 15.6k. So 15600 + 4*180 + 740 = 17060 < 17300 by 240...

So, super fuse screws up the economy by 10 gp every time its cast on addy, and 240 every time its cast on rune.

Wait a second - are the prices fixed? No, dolt. They're not fixed. So that 240 gp imbalance would be closed relatively soon, because people would realize that its worth it to cast super fuse on runite ore... they would start doing it, demand for runite ore would go up (along with the price), supply of rune bars would go up (more people making them) so the price would go down.

Thing is the Law runes are stackable, unlike Prayer potions.

And it requires 88 magic...

Further more, If you weren't going to use magic as your primary attack method, you'd have to bring both air and earth runes (so 3 spaces, and closer to 130+160+1500 = 1790 cost) or risk a staff that's worth 1m.

I think its balanced.

♪♪ And I'm not done