The Contemporary Spellbook

sees_all1

I'm thinking it would work similar to GOP repeller wand, wouldn't it?

And the person would be animated like they were slipping backwards, sort of like the skating on ice in the last xmas event.

I don't think difficulty of coding should be your reason for not wanting something... if you think the spells are too weak, or too powerful, I think that would be a better reason.

Thanks for the support though.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woohoo!I really love this idea =D> I love those teleport ideas and the the "super apparate" thing :thumbsup: can't tell you how much I hate having to use fairy rings to get to Piscatoris (CBA to check the spelling) Is there an RSOF post I can go to so as to make sure JaGex knows of my support?

P.S. I love you! :shock:

u don't have to BA, spellings right! congratulations on first correct spelling of Piscatoris! :lol:

Yay! *raises a trophy* I'd like to thank my Mother and my Father and my sisters and brothers...um...no speech?Dang... #-o

Back on topic,to Elusefelier, I expect if there were any objects stopping the person from being pushed back that they would just stop when they hit the object.

I resemble that remark!

Achieved quest cape for first time on: 4-2-09 WOOHOO!

Beat Nomad on 6-24-10 WOOHOO!.

331bfcd139.png

What about something that stops ranged pjers?

I know you won't like what I'm about to say, but Range is supposed to be better than mage.

However, using a few spells combined that are already given, one would have a thin chance to stop a range pjer -

1. Cast shove on the Ranger (this will take about 2 spell turns to complete)

2. Cast cement on your opponent (they're held for 15 seconds)

3. Cast cement on the Ranger (they're held for 15 seconds)

4. Cast disport - this will give you a small chance to get out of range of one but not the other

5. Hit your opponent with your Pulse spell.

Repeat as needed.

how about a spell that blocks arrows? it would be a dome that would cover ur player for 5 sec.

This wouldn't stop PJing, and it would make magic > range for F2P. Unless the spell splashed often on the ranger, but then again that would make the spell worthless.

♪♪ And I'm not done

how about a spell that blocks arrows? it would be a dome that would cover ur player for 5 sec.

For god's sake put some thinking into your post before you talk crap and insult your own intelligence.

I know you won't like what I'm about to say, but Range is supposed to be better than mage.

However, using a few spells combined that are already given, one would have a thin chance to stop a range pjer -

4. Cast disport - this will give you a small chance to get out of range of one but not the other

Repeat as needed.

I know range is supposed to own mage, but that does not mean range is BETTER than mage. Its better when fighting against a mage, but not better as a whole.

Anyway, a ranger pjing a mage is not ranged being better than mage, its just a form of cheating, and a "class" being better than another "class" does not justify it being able to cheat on it.

And that method above wouldn't work. By the time you ran up to the ranger, he would have got a few rapid shots on you, and after you shove him, he will continue firing until you're out of range and then even after you disport, you might arrive somewhere still in range of him and he'll continue shooting like hell at you and you'll probably resemble a dead porcupine before you get to do the pulse spells.

For god's sake put some thinking into your post before you talk crap and insult your own intelligence.

Repeat as needed.

I know range is supposed to own mage, but that does not mean range is BETTER than mage. Its better when fighting against a mage, but not better as a whole.

Anyway, a ranger pjing a mage is not ranged being better than mage, its just a form of cheating, and a "class" being better than another "class" does not justify it being able to cheat on it.

I'm insulting MY intelligence? it's impossible to cheat on RS, they're using surprise and dragon arrows, not cheats.

Paragon.png

quel - calm down. treat others as you wish to be treated. I've already explained why his idea wouldn't work, without flaming him. From now on could you do the same?

PJing is a problem as a whole - it isn't native to any class. However, none of them have a 100% effective way of dealing with it. If a melee pj'd a range, how does the range deal with it? Thing is, he doesn't. When a range pj's a mage, how can the mage deal with it? Right now, he can't in F2P, but with the steps I've outlined, he can.

And that method above wouldn't work. By the time you ran up to the ranger, he would have got a few rapid shots on you, and after you shove him, he will continue firing until you're out of range and then even after you disport, you might arrive somewhere still in range of him and he'll continue shooting like hell at you and you'll probably resemble a dead porcupine before you get to do the pulse spells.

Shove, like all other spells, can be cast from a distance. So there's no "running up". With the steps I've outlined, you'll get hit about 6 times, but you might just be able to finish off your opponent. Otherwise, teleport.

♪♪ And I'm not done

Nice new signature.

quelmotz wrote:

PJing is a problem as a whole - it isn't native to any class. However, none of them have a 100% effective way of dealing with it. If a melee pj'd a range, how does the range deal with it? Thing is, he doesn't. When a range pj's a mage, how can the mage deal with it? Right now, he can't in F2P, but with the steps I've outlined, he can.

If a mage pjed a meleer, how does he deal with it? Run up to him, smash a few 10s and loot.

F2P Deserves a Triangle, not a Line

Just like to say that's genius.

My bad - must've missed 'em. Nothing against you, so to make up for it, here we go:

In F2P magic, I often find myself at a disadvantage because my runes take up so many spaces that I can't utilize for food storage. This means that in a 1v1 situation, the odds are against me to come out on top because I have less food than my opponent does.

I find that too. Currently, we have to take into combat death runes, air/fire runes, earth runes, water runes, and nature runes. If we want to lower their stats, we also have to take in body runes.

My fix: The Elemental/Contemporary Staff. Requires 60/70 magic to use, but it provides all the air, water, earth, and fire runes you could ever want or need. That would make it so the only other runes you'd carry into battle would be death, plus the others for special abilities (call it chaos and body, with the option for mind and nature).

This would put it on par for melee - who need to take in strength potion, r2h, runes for a teleport (and possibly monks robes for no arms) - 5-7 spots

Also, a revision to the debuff spells is a good thing. 5%-10% decreases in my opponent's attack, strength, or defense do not give me, the magi, a substantial edge over my opponent. Additionally, in order to utilize those debuff spells, I need to bring mind runes (F2P) or soul runes (P2P), which also take up an extra space.

The time it takes to cast all 3 debuff spells (Confuse, Weaken, & Curse) is far too long. Wouldn't it be more reasonable to create 1 spell which lowers attack, strength, and defense in one cast, instead of having to cast 3 spells for 3 separate effects? This would be far more practical from a PvP perspective.

10% can be huge - if you're fighting someone with a stat at 70, now its 63. The higher up you go, the better it gets.

1 spell which lowers all three would be impractical, or rather, overpowered, IMHO. Plus, if it splashed, would it splash on all three, or two out of the three, or just one? And the stats regenerate at the same pace, currently you can't cast weaken if they're already weakened - would it be the same way for all three?

Also, let's not forget that we don't want these spells helping out meleers & rangers. For instance, we don't want a ranger casting debuffs & simply continuing to use ranged; from what I gather, these spells are intended to benefit magic combat, not melee or ranged combat.

They won't. Meleers have such a big negative magic bonus, same with range. Even if they had positive in the magic stat, their other defenses would be much weaker, making them an inviting target.

Part of what makes melee combat so appealing is the low cost. You buy armor & weapons and that's it, you're set for melee combat for the rest of eternity. Additionally, you can sell your armor and weapons back for just the same amount of money you bought them for!

This is not so for a magi like myself. I have to continuously pay money for every spell I cast. Believe me when I say that I would have a lot more fun being a magi if I knew that my spells cost very little to cast, and I wouldn't have to spend "x" amount of hours merching/skilling to get back the money I lost from casting expensive spells.

What can we do about high magic costs? Give mages a chance to get multiple casts out of 1 rune. Yes, this may seem quite radical at first, but rangers get a similar game mechanism with their arrows. Why shouldn't we?

This doesn't pertain to my idea specifically, so I won't include it. I like the general idea, so if you make a new thread with this in mind, I'll support it.

In light of the fact that you're proposing so many new spells, it would be better to also propose a system of organizing the spells in a menu that you can rearrange. For instance, you can click and drag a spell icon and position it anywhere in the spell book you please. Thus, spells will be easily accessible to you during combat.

That would be a different suggestion that would affect all spellbooks, not just mine. Because it would affect all spellbooks, I'm not going to include it here, I believe its in a different category than "Spellbook & Quest" If you made a new topic of this, I'd support it.

Come to think of it, I don't think that push spells are a good idea. They are difficult to program from a java standpoint and they cannot be effective in a closed area. Imagine how difficult it would be to create a pushback spell which somehow avoids all the obstacles of the Runescape world. There are simply too many variables to account for.

I wouldn't say "yay" or "nay" to something based on the difficulty of programming. Besides, Jagex has already figured out a way for this to happen with the Great Orb Project, and lower obstacles they could just make the person "hop" or "trip" over it, like fences, ditches, or plants, where others they'd stop against it such as walls, trees, etc.

Instead, I would recommend replacing your push spells with ones that force your opponent to walk even more slowly than they usually do. Another practical approach would be to simply have the spells drain massive amounts of your opponent's run energy with each hit, thereby making it nearly impossible for the meleer to successfully catch up with the mage.

See the spell "debase" - I think it does what you're looking for.

♪♪ And I'm not done

My fix: The Elemental/Contemporary Staff. Requires 60/70 magic to use, but it provides all the air, water, earth, and fire runes you could ever want or need. That would make it so the only other runes you'd carry into battle would be death, plus the others for special abilities (call it chaos and body, with the option for mind and nature).

This would put it on par for melee - who need to take in strength potion, r2h, runes for a teleport (and possibly monks robes for no arms) - 5-7 spots

Or you could just make the rune requirements more consistent. E.g. the lunar spellbook uses mostly earth and water runes. Staff like that would just destroy everything what's left of combination runes and staves.

Or you could just make the rune requirements more consistent. E.g. the lunar spellbook uses mostly earth and water runes. Staff like that would just destroy everything what's left of combination runes and staves.

Well, it costs 1m for an elemental staff. All the other combination staffs cost <200k, but I suppose I could increase the price some more?

From what I've heard combination runes are dead anyway.

♪♪ And I'm not done

Personally, I wouldn't have the healing spells, nor this stuff increasing/decreasing attack speeds, nor affecting how much exp you get for doing what, etc.

Also specify a few of the points where your teleport takes to. I mean, Karamja teleport? Big difference between teleporting on Cairn Isle and teleporting to the General Store by the plantation.

I do like the push spells. A little stun and not so far back would be good. 4 spaces and 4 seconds stun would be sweet.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

Looks very nice and detailed, only minor complaint that I have is that the pulse spells are better than wave spells (fire at least) and that seems somewhat awkward that a F2P spell is better than a P2P spell.

ruins.png De_Elite_One.png

Inefficiency = fun. That's objective and can't be debated. Ever.

Blog to 200m in all skills.

Max cape achieved November 5th, 2011.

Completionist cape achieved December 29th, 2011.

Final Boss title achieved December 28th, 2014.

Trimmed completionist cape achieved November 7th, 2015.

Looks very nice and detailed, only minor complaint that I have is that the pulse spells are better than wave spells (fire at least) and that seems somewhat awkward that a F2P spell is better than a P2P spell.

It is a higher level spell, and it requires more runes / costs more.

♪♪ And I'm not done

How about a spell that makes an enemy stop attacking you and switches their auto retaliate to off for 10 seconds?

What I mean is that they simply have to right/left click you again to start attacking you again.

So a warrior would be attacking you, you cast the spell and then quickly run away and cast bind :thumbsup: and then start blasting them again. Would work great against meleers but would be weak towards rangers since they can still just shoot you.

And how about a cloaking spell that temporarily takes your white dot away from the minimap? So you could be hiding somewhere they can't see you and then bam appear out of nowhere and start attacking.

Lastly I don't think there should be a defence requirement. Rather a combat scene somewhere in the quest which is very hard to do.

Zerker_jane.png

im getting confused here, is this ment to be a F2P spellbook?

The sigs say that this is all for F2P but it seems very P2P orientated

previously all the combined element staffs were P2P

also the Piscatoris teleport :thumbsup: great idea for the people who cannot get there

So what your trying to do is not change the F2P stuff

but make lots of the P2P stuff avalable to F2P and improving magic overall yes?

sorry its very negative but im in a bad mood

And how about a cloaking spell that temporarily takes your white dot away from the minimap? So you could be hiding somewhere they can't see you and then bam appear out of nowhere and start attacking.

Someone on the RSOF suggested this as a change to blackout. I thought it was interesting, but not exactly sure what the level requirements should be.

im getting confused here, is this ment to be a F2P spellbook?

The sigs say that this is all for F2P but it seems very P2P orientated

Next to each spell and item tells you what category - I'd say about 2/3 of the spells are F2P.

You're right, Flak Blast is a P2P only spell, but as a whole this suggestion would vastly improve F2P, which is why I say "Because F2P deserves a triangle, not a line" - I think that's the motto/jingle what have you for this suggestion.

♪♪ And I'm not done

Forget the "Lucky Swig" spell, I see your point.

But I still think you could really mess up Fist of Guthix. And that wouldn't be good. There needs to be something that stops it from screwing up the the Fist of Guthix. Like a thing that makes the spells less effective there or something.

But I still think you could really mess up Fist of Guthix. And that wouldn't be good. There needs to be something that stops it from screwing up the the Fist of Guthix. Like a thing that makes the spells less effective there or something.

You are only given 300/1000 Runes when you enter the Fist of Guthix, that cuts out worries about using Awareness (requires 500+ Catalyst runes). Hurricane could be used, but it would drain half of your Elemental Rune supply.

Healing spells can be used once / 10 minutes, so they only bring a maximum of 16HP heal per round.

Praise - offering infinite prayer to the Hunted ~ could be forbidden from the Hunted

Shove - could be used to prevent enemy from entering the centre ~ but also offers them an evasion chance

Disport Opponent - same as Shove

Master of Attack ~ August 29th, 2010

Proud to have served the awesome Tip.It Crew <3

4bbb67ec44.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png