The Contemporary Spellbook

sees_all1

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i enjoy the idea, actually that is an understatement.

i am very impressed and look forward to seeing this spellbook used one day

just a few minor things- would a player be able to use spell book swap to get hurricane? or would hurricane remain active if the contemporary spellbook is switched with another?

if that is the case, for 20 casts, ancients would be way too overpowered.

edit: after re-read:

there is one thing i must call you out on, the super alchemy. do you realize that the runescape economy revolves around alchemy? this would cause nearly EVERY item in runescape to change prices, which messes with all skills and such, and eventually just because of one spell you can overturn the economy.

although 90 SEEMS high enough, once everyone knows that this spell is out, it will be a mad rush with plenty of crashing and sky-rocketing of items to get 90 mage :twisted:

as you see, alchemy is the backbone of runescape, you CANNOT mess with it, PERIOD. :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

and the 750 total level requirement won't go over well; you should probably change that for the rsof version.. they won't like the sound of that.

dump load is probably my favorite spell.

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

Yeah dump load owns. Its so boring dropping ores while mining and i keep accidentally clicking on the "examine" option.

I think hurricane should be restricted to only the contemporary spellbook, or else it will become overpowered.

I still disagree with having supreme alchemy. It will force the RS economy to mess up and all the prices would change, causing huge flooding of rants by merchants whose items' prices crashed, etc. Many other things like what you lose if you die list will have to be revamped.

You have some good ideas, but imo, this would make mage to strong.

You want to give mage a space back in the triangle but this would just own melee warriors, badly.

And that's not what we want, right? Another line..

It has good ideas and I totally agree that they need to get more and better spells but this is just too much.

ooh eeh ooh ahah, ting tang wallawallabingbang m8

You want to give mage a space back in the triangle but this would just own melee warriors, badly.

And that's not what we want, right? Another line..

Melee Fighters

Disadvantages- The 'but' comes when encountering mages. Well-constructed melee armour does a good job of deflecting blades and bolts, but also manages to strongly conduct Magic attacks, increasing the effects and damage caused by an opportunist magician. An experienced spellcaster can also paralyse a melee combatant with a 'holding' spell and then attack from afar. Mages are melee fighters' arch enemies, and so should be avoided.

Mages

Advantages - The mage may look like an easy target, wearing what could be described as a glorified flannel, but beneath their soft and stabbable exterior lies a dangerous opponent. A combination of 'holding' spells and Magic's conductivity through armour makes the mage strongly anti-melee, often keeping a hand-to-hand combatant incapacitated and highly vulnerable.

No, that's actually exactly what I'm trying to do. Combat triangle means that mage is better than melee is better than range is better than mage - so I want mage to own melee while still getting owned by range.

just a few minor things- would a player be able to use spell book swap to get hurricane? or would hurricane remain active if the contemporary spellbook is switched with another?

if that is the case, for 20 casts, ancients would be way too overpowered.

Not familiar with spellbook swap, but isn't it only limited to one spell, and its in the lunar spellbook? That would be tons of clicking and tons of effort just to cast a couple ancients.

there is one thing i must call you out on, the super alchemy. do you realize that the runescape economy revolves around alchemy? this would cause nearly EVERY item in runescape to change prices, which messes with all skills and such, and eventually just because of one spell you can overturn the economy.

Yes I realize that. No, it won't affect the economy too much.

I say this confidently: For about two weeks after this spellbook is introduced, there will be shifting in the markets. What are the items that will be affected? Things like the Dragon Halberd - that have no use in the game, and who's current price is dictated either by a price floor, or its high alch value. These items, that have a large difference between the high and low alch value, will increase in price to reflect the new super alchemy level.

Any other item whose high and low alch value (-25%) difference isn't big enough to cover the cost of 3 nature runes (~700 gp) will not be affected.

Any item that isn't at the price minimum won't be affected, because it'll still be higher than the new value this puts it at.

and the 750 total level requirement won't go over well; you should probably change that for the rsof version.. they won't like the sound of that.

The 750 total level requirement is to stop PKing F2P pures from using this spellbook. 750 total levels for a member, IMHO isn't too much.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Sorry for the double post.

This was on the RSOF, and I'd thought I'd share it here.

The super alch spell should be removed entirely. I understand that you are trying to incorporate some of the most used spells from all spellbooks into this one, however alchemy is something that I feel needs to remain in the normal spellbook only. The teleports and alchemy spells are the only real reason to be on normal magics...

Trust me on this one - I did not see it this way until now, and as much as you've all responded with "it'll mess up the economy," I still disagree with you.

BUT - the idea that having a super alch would take too much away from the normal spellbook - not what this spellbook intended to do, so I'm removing it.

All of you who only had a beef with super alchemy will be added to the supporters list.

GG guys, I'll concede this one ;)

♪♪ And I'm not done

thank you for respongding.

concerning hurricane- there are two ways it can be abused.

1. a player using lunar can use spellbook swap once, then for the next 20 spells they will be able to cast very fast, such as using HP transfer or other spells

2. a player using the contemporary spellbook can use hurricane, go to the ancient magiks temple, totally switch spellbooks, and for 20 casts they are a powerhouse

concerning the total level- i agree with it, nooby rsof'ers won't

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

so the fix is as simple as - "This spell cannot be used with Spellbook Swap" and "The effects of Hurricane wear off as you use the Temple"

?

♪♪ And I'm not done

oh yes, the fix is as simple as "hurricane can only be used with the contemporary spellbook"

Alright, I fixed it.

Please - If you supported this spellbook, post your support on the RSOF. I need that thread to be highly visible to a Jmod.

♪♪ And I'm not done

Alright, I fixed it.

Please - If you supported this spellbook, post your support on the RSOF. I need that thread to be highly visible to a Jmod.

Too bad, I can't. I am still trying to get that freaking 12.5M xp thingy to get to post on the RSOF. Looking at all the flaming and spamming on f2p threads, I already feel discouraged. I mean, what's the point of making a thread if you know people are going to flame you and spam up the thread? Those immature members are complaining about the fact that f2p will complain too much while they're complaining too much themselves... WTH...

P.S. Can't jagex just include a simple "total xp" calculator or something? They have the "total level" calculator but not a "total xp" calculator.

Looking at all the flaming and spamming on f2p threads, I already feel discouraged. I mean, what's the point of making a thread if you know people are going to flame you and spam up the thread? Those immature members are complaining about the fact that f2p will complain too much while they're complaining too much themselves... WTH...

patience quel - for the main topic, it doesn't have F2P anywhere in the title. For the spellbook only, it does -> I've gotten two idiot negative responses (how about PAY) and two positive responses (one from a TIF lurker, and the other, idk).

Remember, this spellbook has 29 new f2p spells, and 28 new members only spells, so it isn't technically a "F2P only" update. Plus, its easy to tell if someone's read the spells or not, usually they'll point out one or two that they really like.

♪♪ And I'm not done

Alright, I fixed it.

P.S. Can't jagex just include a simple "total xp" calculator or something? They have the "total level" calculator but not a "total xp" calculator.

i think they did that on purpose, just for sites like this.

Paragon.png

Alright, I fixed it.

i think they did that on purpose, just for sites like this.

What do you mean?

I'm too lazy to get a sig, if that is what you mean and I don't want to be flamed by noobs saying "get lost you f2p low level noob lol only 700 total level" or whatever.

I support.

It is a good spellbook. Maybe a spell that you can cook fish remotely, as there is a spell for smelting and firemaking? etc

But maybe you would have to make it that you sacrifice a fish(or more) to get 100% no burn rate(optional) in order to stop it being abused.

Yes. Im a low level F2P, but its ok because Jesus loves me

Blackey120.png

Blackey120.png

245b84963c.png

Member of the Runescape Order of Jedi Knights|Click here for forums

I support.

It is a good spellbook. Maybe a spell that you can cook fish remotely, as there is a spell for smelting and firemaking? etc

But maybe you would have to make it that you sacrifice a fish(or more) to get 100% no burn rate(optional) in order to stop it being abused.

I think the cost of the spells alone would be enough for stopping abuse. Also, the quest is of moderate difficulty for members and proabably one of the toughest quests for f2p.

Wow, nice suggestion! Very well thought out, 100% support. A few teleport locations for members:

Burgh the rott

Relekka

Taverley dungeon

relekka wouldn't work because of all the lyre updates they put into that new diary.

Check out the main page... I added 3 new spells from suggestions made on the RSOF. I believe I've credited everyone who helped out... post if you believe I didn't give you due credit.

I've also completely removed super alch, so its gone, no worries.

♪♪ And I'm not done

some very nice idea's tbh, mage could use something to make it more fair. i support the idea for the new spellbook. =D>

i do tire of trying to mage in f2p and not being able to beat meleers without help from a bunch of other ppl.

P.S. hope it works :thumbsup: would be so nice if it did. <3

Thunderthem.png

Hi great idea Nicely thought out and a lot of hard work went in to this this will definitely make runescape better and for that i support 100%

Blaze ........... 63 ..... 2 Co, 10 F ....... F . Sets up to 9 logs on fire at once, 1/2 xp for

..................................................all, requires firemaking requirements for log.

..................................................Can only be cast in 2x2 areas where fires are

..................................................allowed.

I like this especially because it will compliment my thread New firemaking suggestions by St_Lonewolf1 i to have a few spells all to do with firemaking.

W00t

magicupdates.jpg

THIS IS the best news for people who believe mage needs balancing! Like me, sees_all, elusefelier, etc.

This is COLD, HARD, SOLID, UNFLAPPABLE, CONCRETE evidence that Jagex believes mage is underpowered. In your face, those who say mage doesn't deserve an update.