Weightlifting - Your RL STR Lvl :D

Gmesh

Yea actually. How do you improve jumping besides squats and cleans? I wanna dunk next year haha. And um my shoulders dont have meat on em how do I gain muscle on them?

I'm not sure if it has a certain name, but what I did was either with or without a weight simply go up on your tip-toes and then back down until your foot touches flat against the ground. DO not do it quickly, but rather at a slow pace. You should feel the burn in your calves after a while. I feel that this helped my jump a lot for basketball. You can also try standing on one foot and doing this. It requires some balance once you start to tire out. I wish I could elaborate more, but this is simply all I did aside from training at basketball practice. I hope it works as well for you as it did for me. ::'

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of feel like people are looking too hard for liars, myself included. So far in this thread I've noticed a surprising decrease in the number of blatant lies relative to many previous weight-lifting threads. Like I said, everyone embellishes, sometimes unconsciously, but thus far I have not noticed any serious lying. Maybe people are more tactful, I don't know, but this is probably the first strength thread I've seen in OT that isn't a joke.

That being said, k1, what is off about his post? Yes, admittedly, the "hardcore" matter is a little ambiguous, as I noted, but nothing about his post seems all that out of the ordinary. His leg strength number comes from leg presses, not squats, and 500 pounds on inclined machines isn't that amazing (i.e., it's actually less than 500 pounds of resistance due to angling, cutting the weight in more than half). And his upper body strength, if those numbers are for benching, are low (or normal for his weight).

I understand that there are liars on this thread, and that there always will be in future threads of this type, but c'mon man, find a better scapegoat. Or maybe not, if he's referring to squats with those numbers. If he is, then by all means, rat his [wagon] out.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Yeah, I'm surprised this thread hasn't seemed to have many liars. Pure's pretty ripped from his RL pic, so I'm reasonably impressed :lol:

Yeah, back in high school I was what they call lanky. Freshman year was 5' 10" & 125, 6' 0" & 130 after sophomore. Kept growing even into collage though to round out my 6' 4"\190. But lately I've noticed a bit of a spare tire, so I guess I gotta start working out more and working on the computer less. Sigh.

Note to all you "lanky" people: your metabolism will likely hit a brick wall around 28-30... Enjoy the time of stuffing your face to try and beef up while you can...

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Yes, I am referring to a sitting position Reb where the actual weight would be lessened due to the incline. As such, inclines allow you to lift many times your own weight.

Yes, I am aware that real life is nothing like "Dragon Ball Z", anyone trying to lift as much weight as they do would most likely end up with a broken back or worse. I don't start out with like 5000 of something, but something more manageable. Such managing would look like this in week 1: 20 pushups, 20 jumping jacks(using dumbbells while doing these would destroy your ligaments), 50 situps, 50 slow punches(with the 10lb dumbbells(builds the forearms)), and 50 squats. Now, at the end of 4 weeks would that sound "Dragon ball Zish" to you?

The 3 hour workouts switch off and on between upper and lower, with light workouts inbetween the heavy ones to regain composure, so it should not come as a surprise that I wouldn't be out of breath or feeling like jelly.

Yes, leg weights do work and that is by building up ankle strength as well as the calf muscles while in a sitting position(constantly move your legs up and down and eventually you will feel a burn). Walking in them on a regular basis also builds your stamina irregardless of what weight-watchers says. Additionally, they help with those who don't have very good balance, which I don't have.

Now for you k1. Did you join the forums just to flame?

Quote - Revenge is such a nasty thing that only breeds more vengeful souls, but in some situations revenge does not even need to be sought out, but only bided.

Yes, I am referring to a sitting position Reb where the actual weight would be lessened due to the incline. As such, inclines allow you to lift many times your own weight.

Yes, I am aware that real life is nothing like "Dragon Ball Z", anyone trying to lift as much weight as they do would most likely end up with a broken back or worse. I don't start out with like 5000 of something, but something more manageable. Such managing would look like this in week 1: 20 pushups, 20 jumping jacks(using dumbbells while doing these would destroy your ligaments), 50 situps, 50 slow punches(with the 10lb dumbbells(builds the forearms)), and 50 squats. Now, at the end of 4 weeks would that sound "Dragon ball Zish" to you?

The 3 hour workouts switch off and on between upper and lower, with light workouts inbetween the heavy ones to regain composure, so it should not come as a surprise that I wouldn't be out of breath or feeling like jelly.

Yes, leg weights do work and that is by building up ankle strength as well as the calf muscles while in a sitting position(constantly move your legs up and down and eventually you will feel a burn). Walking in them on a regular basis also builds your stamina irregardless of what weight-watchers says. Additionally, they help with those who don't have very good balance, which I don't have.

Now for you k1. Did you join the forums just to flame?

Thread started: Fri Apr 24, 2009

:wall:

He means in general, not just this thread.

Personally I suck at weightlifthing, better at running and manouvering, plus due to me now living in the middle of nowhere there isn't much I can do so I have gotten worse at parkour and am now only a beginner again, although I could get the sleeping skillcape, if it existed, my friend would have to be the skill master, he won't wake up unless you wake him up, I threw a pen and a remote at him once while at his place, didn't even move :wall:

----------------

Listening to: Slipknot - Before I Forget

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Yea actually. How do you improve jumping besides squats and cleans? I wanna dunk next year haha. And um my shoulders dont have meat on em how do I gain muscle on them?

I'm not sure if it has a certain name, but what I did was either with or without a weight simply go up on your tip-toes and then back down until your foot touches flat against the ground. DO not do it quickly, but rather at a slow pace. You should feel the burn in your calves after a while. I feel that this helped my jump a lot for basketball. You can also try standing on one foot and doing this. It requires some balance once you start to tire out. I wish I could elaborate more, but this is simply all I did aside from training at basketball practice. I hope it works as well for you as it did for me. ::'

Thanks, I've heard this suggestion a lot so far. :thumbsup:

Guys if someone is obviously lying don't flame them. Negitivity isn't what I wanted from this thread. More of a sharing of experience. Besides the only ones they hurt are themselves. Must suck when you realise you brag and brag but you're really just weak. :oops:

Also there's a big debate between many skinny and fat lifters...

DOES BODY WEIGHT HELP YOU LIFT MORE?

Gmeshsig2.jpg

Shout to LowFatMilk for the sig! Doin your body and sig good :lol:

It's good to remember that anything worth having is worth paying for; if you want results, you'll have to put in the work for it.

As a general suggestion to anyone after advice, Wrestling is a great sport to become involved in. The workouts are arguably the most intense and dynamic of any sport in High School, and you'll have fun on top of it. If you run or play another sport such as soccer for stamina in addition to this, you're that much better off. Trying to build a ridiculous amount of muscle mass is foolish, as not everyone has the body type required to do so; I've found muscle definition/toning and good overall physical fitness to be far more important. Don't sweat the small stuff worrying over your image or workout--just so long as you stay active, you'll be fine. :thumbup:

This is a myth. While a person's body size/weight may, in general, be indicitive of their strength, this is only because larger people tend to have a greater share of muscle mass than those smaller than them. However, don't mistake sheer mass for greater strength; healthy muscle is what'll increase your strength. It doesn't do anyone any good to "bulk up" just to let the muscles stagnate. Even those with smaller builds are able to develop and maintain muscle strength--that's what being "lean and hard" is all about.

Interested in helping the Tip.It Crew?

Check out our Website Updates & Corrections Board!

Fey_Wanderer.png

Thanks, I've heard this suggestion a lot so far. :thumbsup:

Guys if someone is obviously lying don't flame them. Negitivity isn't what I wanted from this thread. More of a sharing of experience. Besides the only ones they hurt are themselves. Must suck when you realise you brag and brag but you're really just weak. :oops:

Bodybuilders go through bulking phases where they put on as much clean pounds as they can to help increase their muscle mass and then cut afterwards.

How dense can muscle get?

What I have learned from weight training class is that using the amount of weights that allow you to do 3-5 reps builds strength, 8-12 reps, builds size, and anything onwards builds endurance.

These are loose ranges, but it implies that a less dense version of muscle that is less functional than normal (if you can build size independent from strength) exists.

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here..."

Basically, the rule is: jump to jump higher. So do a variety of jumps every day. Jumps from the half-squat in the gym, jumps over hurdles on the track, imitation-jumps (trying to hit a branch or a basketball ring), jumps with different weights etc..

You can find plenty of high-jumper exercises on Youtube as well.

Oh and avoid doing too many full-squats. They're practically useless if you want to jump high. The movement length is too long and speed is too slow to have any effect on your fast muscles (the ones that work on the take-off).

If you are already experienced in jump-training then you could do depth-jumps. They are quite rough on your knees and feet, but are very good when it comes to simulating the forces at the take-off moment. It adapts your feet to the intense forces of take-off.

For me, high jump training has a very good effect on my dunking abilities. Although my dunking technique and pure vertical leap aren't that great, I can still get a decent flight from higher speed just because of my high jump training.

Cydoor.png

Str is for wussies... All about agility.

Man(d)stands. Parkour, da shizzle. Flag poles.

But erm? I dont go to the gym or anything, So I just work running, Press-ups and sit-ups .

It matters. I would love to have agility seeing as I play American football, but I'm working in the weigh room almost every day just to get the coach to notice me before tryouts (he already did technically because of my hair). I sprint almost everyday, too, so yeah. Eat that.

Yeah, back in high school I was what they call lanky. Freshman year was 5' 10" & 125, 6' 0" & 130 after sophomore. Kept growing even into collage though to round out my 6' 4"\190. But lately I've noticed a bit of a spare tire, so I guess I gotta start working out more and working on the computer less. Sigh.

I'm expecting that to give me a hand this summer. My brother and I have grown up almost exactly the same. Chubby little kids, lanky when we're around 15, then we start working out and growing into our height.

Better [bleep]ing happen.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Oh and avoid doing too many full-squats. They're practically useless if you want to jump high. The movement length is too long and speed is too slow to have any effect on your fast muscles (the ones that work on the take-off).

Isn't the alternative to this jump-squats?

Gmeshsig2.jpg

Shout to LowFatMilk for the sig! Doin your body and sig good :lol:

Isn't the alternative to this jump-squats?

Exactly. The main difference besides the jumping part is that in the full-squat your thighs go down to the knee-level or even lower, but in the jump-squats, you stop the movement before you reach the knee-level. The angle between your feet and your thighs should be around 110-120 degrees. This is about the same as in the take-off.

Cydoor.png

I don't work out, but I can bench my weight which is 90kg (198lb) @ 6'3 or so.

Last time I tried maxing squats I stopped at 160kg. (352lb) I doubt I can still do that though, it was like 6 months ago and I haven't done much running since. Maybe 110kg or so.

Goddess I've been wanting to talk with your fiance' about the ADF but my msn won't log in. I've been meaning to try and sort that out. :-k

Kk you have two choices, 1. we live in brisbane too I can organise for the pair of you to have a chat on the phone or in person or 2. you ask a specific question or pm me with the link to your problem again and I'll get him to fill it out for you by tonight :D

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

Yeah, I'm surprised this thread hasn't seemed to have many liars. Pure's pretty ripped from his RL pic, so I'm reasonably impressed :lol:

Note to all you "lanky" people: your metabolism will likely hit a brick wall around 28-30... Enjoy the time of stuffing your face to try and beef up while you can...

ILU2

I hope my metabolism doesn't stop dead in it's tracks.. I enjoy eating. I suppose I could take up another hobby such as stamp collecting, though. :wall:

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

I hope my metabolism doesn't stop dead in it's tracks.. I enjoy eating. I suppose I could take up another hobby such as stamp collecting, though. :wall:

Don't count on it :lol:

I started early, tried to control my eating in my 20s so I wouldn't have to change much if I did start gaining weight. And yes, it has happened despite that. The same thing happened to my father, so I guess I should have expected it :cry:

Then again, with a BMI that hovers around 22, I'm certainly not overweight yet. But the spare tire cometh, and stress from the hard economic times isn't making me put in more hours at the gym :oops:

How does clean & jerk compare to deadlift? Here in the US we don't do much cleaning or jerking. I'm working at triple plates for deadlift, but it's becoming a struggle to even maintain my current weight. Middle age is a killer...

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Hmm...I benched 60KG Yesterday in the gym like, im 11 stone and 5'10, so i'd say that isn't too bad :lol:

As for squatting...damned thing annoys me :|

But I quatted 150lbs a few weeks back

So I'd say my str level, based on my body and stoof; is about 63ish?

And whoever was talkin bout agility? aye, I don'e Parkour for a year and still have a lot of cool leapin and upper body strength from it while I was midgity :lol:

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!