7th May 2009 - Development Diary: Tools for Games

Johannas

Today weve released a development diary for something a little different: versatile tools to help players make their own games.

As the project goes from the design stage into implementation, this diary talks about the goals of this unusual project, and the curious challenge of coming up with a clear design for something without limiting what it can do.

To read the diary, click here.

Mod Hew

RuneScape Content Developer

Theres a slightly different update on the cards for the not-too-distant future. It wont suit all of you, but, then, juggling all the different things RuneScape players like to do is always our biggest challenge. What it will do is make some little differences here and there, with new features that you can use in several ways that weve thought of...and hopefully a few we havent.

We know that to some of you, RuneScape is home to various pastimes that we didnt really plan for you. Besides all of the quests, minigames and other features that the team has worked hard on over the years, Gielinor has plenty of room for you to organise scavenger hunts, races and all kinds of other activities, and weve seen that some of you like to do just that. Now, weve decided to set aside some time for a small update aimed at the players who come up with those activities.

I was asked to come up with some items to help out, some little trinkets for the freestyle gamers among you. Its an interesting challenge: if this stuff is all about the things we didnt design, how can I deliberately set out to develop it? If I over-design these objects theyll be really good for whatever I had in mind, but give you much less freedom. That would completely ruin the idea of helping you with the gameplay that you want to make.

With that in mind Im working on a range of simple objects, each of which does something a little useful. Most of the objects are pretty simple, some a bit more complicated, but all are versatile. Hopefully, youll look at each item and think: I know what I could do with that! Just as people in the real world make dice and dont worry about what games people will use them for, we can provide some helpful tools for you to use however you want.

We thought long and hard about what to include, seeking suggestions from fan sites, the forums and Jagex staff. We had many great suggestions - far more than we could ever use - so we picked out a selection that were particularly suitable. The number of objects were going ahead with is relatively small, but the intention is that each of them has plenty of potential there for all kinds of things you might think of.

As you might have guessed, there will be dice; Im a big fan of dice. You can keep the rolls to yourself, or you can send them to your clan and everyone will know the result was genuine. Other items will help you start races fairly, run votes of clan members and check that nobody is cheating at collection and scavenging games.

Involving clans and keeping things fair are two of the main things Im keeping in mind while developing this project. We want these tools to be good for groups, and the best way we can do that is through the Clan Chat system. That way, the game remains yours and you can invite the people youd like to play with. Fairness is important because once you have come up with rules for your events, I want you to have ways of knowing that they are being followed.

All of these player-driven activities are part of what games developers refer to as emergent gameplay. Its a broad and interesting topic and I encourage you to hit the Web if you are interested. Ill start a thread on the forums in case anyone has any thoughts theyd like to share.

Mod Hew

RuneScape Content Developer

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

Looks really nice. Gonna be really interesting what people make out of this when it comes out O.O

THis is gonna make fun events in clans a lot more common :P

Started free trade with 1.5m cash. 2 weeks later, have hit max cash 2x.

PvP drops: 359 Brawling Gloves, 11 Vesta's Longswords, 41+ Zaros/Ancient Statues

9 Dragon Full Helms, 3 Dragonfire Shields on the old PvP loot system

Brawler guide is being finished!

Interesting, not sure how these new items will work though, getting kinda confusing; there's no real consistency.

Nothing but win :thumbup:

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

is anyone else a little dissapointed that they dont have the old development diaries anymore? Go look at the ones they did before the dwarf quest ones which were more in-depth and would show some of the development process instead of just talking about what they want to do in the future. Not bashing the new ones or anything but I am particularly interested in the development process or new content and would just like to see more of that.

Nagrom_17.png

Doing random stuff on runescape. Always happy to have a random conversation, just pm me.

It looks like a puke covered dragon face that is screaming
Thanks Unoalexi for my awesome avatar!

is anyone else a little dissapointed that they dont have the old development diaries anymore? Go look at the ones they did before the dwarf quest ones which were more in-depth and would show some of the development process instead of just talking about what they want to do in the future. Not bashing the new ones or anything but I am particularly interested in the development process or new content and would just like to see more of that.

The new ones are supposed to replace the Behind the Scenes.

This could be something really cool and it could turn out to eventually be something very big th encompasses a wide variety of things.

Or it could suck.

Never know with Jagex.

Also, DD will start to get really good once they start in on talking about things as they're being developed.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

If they gave us a card deck, just imagine the possibilities. ::'

Egyptian War, Texas Hold 'em (Although we'd need chips), Hearts, and thousands of other card games would make clanlife more fun.

Since this update seems focused on integrating with the clanchat system, I wonder if the clanchat system itself would need to receive an update for this.. \'

did anyone catch the bit about racing??!!!! omg that will be so cool. i wonder what we get to race with??

on foot? sleds? mine carts? horses? sailboats? stock cars?!! :shock:

ASR_logo_white.png

wannarace.jpg

Reading through it I was worried the update may suck because they'll put in way too much content and so it will all be underdeveloped.

Having read that it will only be a small amount of updates is much better, because it means they will be thouroghly thought out.

The race idea sounds nice, sounds like racing over large areas of map in the most imaginiative ways possible? For that they'd probably impliment a stopwatch or something, give it to players and have some nice coding to work out their times and display them in the clanchat interface.

Similarly with a scavenger hunt, that will most probably be a checklist of somesort that relays back to your clan chat.

2v8sgvs.png

did anyone catch the bit about racing??!!!! omg that will be so cool. i wonder what we get to race with??

on foot? sleds? mine carts? horses? sailboats? stock cars?!! :shock:

Nah, we make our own races, as in try to achieve a goal (which is usually something a bit more complex than get from A to B) before the others do it. It can include slaying a monster, getting levels (notably 99), doing a quest and so on.

I'm also personally looking out for a pack of cards, emergent gameplay is awesome, and I'm glad Jagex is encouraging it without giving us a set path. This is one of Jagex's better ideas, I think.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Nah, we make our own races, as in try to achieve a goal (which is usually something a bit more complex than get from A to B) before the others do it. It can include slaying a monster, getting levels (notably 99), doing a quest and so on.

i still wanna race sailboats. ;)

ASR_logo_white.png

wannarace.jpg

I really like this idea. Seems like it might help the "So you want a challenge?" thread here. :) I wonder if there will be an official way to track things (think high scores table) that updates periodically.

demonslayer2.png

Retired Tip.It Mod || Admin and Founder of Caesar 3 Mod Squad! All are welcome!

i still wanna race failboats. ;)

Fix'd ;)

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

i still wanna race sailboats. ;)

I want to race and fight pirates in sailboats at the same time. ;)

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I would be disappointed if it were dice and cards and a stopwatch and objects like that. I want them to release an item I'm not expecting at all, an item that I won't know what to do with at first.

wl7w9j.png

Sounds like they're thinking of some fun things! My computer has been down for the last week now, and my membership is wasting away! I wish I could even see the updates myself, but the school computers here have the site blocked. -.-

Blakdragon39.png