Does "Attack" and "+Attack" actually make a difference?

@Dan3HitU

I've been doing a lot of thinking and some of you may have heard/seen me talk about it in my Vlogs on YouTube but I personally believe this:

Attack skill is useless after 78 (75 if you don't PvP).

Ever since I got my Attack to 99 (quite a number of years ago now) I haven't seen any improvement on hitting accuracy I always seem to hit 0's on people with low Defence (players) and even on Monsters too.

However, I see in person and such that people with only 60 Attack seem to hit more consistently than I do, even against people with higher defence, which brings me to my other point.

Do the +Attack bonuses even improve your accuracy, or are they just there to make the game seem more in-depth? Personally, if you max-out the +Attack bonuses OR have them at standard I haven't really seen a dramatic difference on hitting Monsters or Players.

Mainly, I believe that neither really make a visible difference against players wearing armour.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess so. If it doesn't make any difference, its just to make the game in-depth. However, I dont see the point of doing that. Why would they let you train to 99 else? just for the cape?

recci-518.png

ive noticed a big difference in my accuracy between 90 and 99 with the whip, and i hit more consistently with the godsword than whip (higher bonus) so yes, both make a difference

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

Try to melee black dragons with whip at 99 attack and 78 attack.

Go do it right now. See what happens.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Misc: Abyssal Whip x28 , Dark Bow x5, Beserker Ring x3, Warrior ring x1

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

Monsters change a bit yes but not a lot, however, against Players I don't believe it makes a difference.

Black Dragons as we all know have the highest Defence in game anyway, but Jagex have already stated they don't have +defence stats, only levels.

That may very well be the case. I do believe there is an optimal level. However, I don't think what you're saying is right because of 2 reasons:

1) Doesn't make sense logically. Combat is all run by formulas and attack is one variable. So higher attack must equal higher accuracy, unless levels after 75 all count for the same, which I doubt.

2) I've noticed a difference. Slight difference, since attack is hard to look at in this way, but I would say that my accuracy has improved.

i am 99 attack. when my attack was in 80s and 90s, i wont even try to dds spec lvl 130s barrow armour, cos that means 0s, but since i got 99, i use dds with defender, 80% of all my hits is not a zero

I can't remember the days when I didn't have 99 attack.. but when drinking a super attack potion, I notice a significant increase in accuracy when hitting.

So yes, attack does totally make a difference.

I can't remember the days when I didn't have 99 attack.. but when drinking a super attack potion, I notice a significant increase in accuracy when hitting.

Serious? When I use super sets there doesn't seem to be ANY difference. :|

Popoto.~<3

Really? I always notice a huge difference in the speed I kill iron dragons before and after I've sipped a dose. Same goes for black demons and and other monsters. If you really want to notice a huge difference, try soloing Bandos with and without sup att and att boosting prayer, the difference is enormous.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

I never seem to see any difference either.

However, if you use JUST a super-strength potion you will hit MORE CONSISTANT (thus kill the iron dragon faster) than you will if you use JUST a super-attack.

Personally, I've always believed since RS2 was created they re-worked the system and strength is both accuracy and damage, I honestly see people with lower attack hitting much more consistantly against people in high-armour than I do, and I have over 20M xp.

You have to be careful when comparing accuracy of attack levels, because there is so much to factor in, unlike the range and magic skills.

There are:

- Your Attack level

- Your Attack Bonuses

- Your Attack Type

- Your Attack Style

- Your Opponents Defense Level

- Your Opponents Defense Bonuses

- Your Opponents Attack Style (Yes, it does make a difference)

Ontop of all that, I believe the attack accuracy is a dice roll from a dice that is always changing. Your bonuses are added up and you are given a dice based on the bracket your bonuses are in.

For example (just making this up)

Attack bonus 0-100: 2 Sided dice (1-2)

Attack bonus 101-200: 3 Sided dice (1-3)

Attack bonus 201-300: 4 Sided dice (1-4)

Attack bonus 301-400: 5 Sided dice (1-5)

As you can see, if you have 301 attack bonus, your dice can roll anywhere from a 1 to a 5. If your opponent can only roll up to a 3, You have a very high chance to be successful. Likewise if you can only roll up to a 3, but your opponent can only roll up to a 2, it will APPEAR your accuracy is higher (only have to roll 2 or 3 to hit), rather than a 2/5 or so chance you have with the higher brackets.

So its all proportional. Just because you have a higher attack doesn't mean you WILL hit better, since attack is such a small variable in the whole equation.

This is all my own personal observation however, and not the actual equation, its just an example of how higher attack bonuses/levels don't necessarily mean higher attack accuracy.

dawnsigblue-3.png

Monsters change a bit yes but not a lot, however, against Players I don't believe it makes a difference.

Black Dragons as we all know have the highest Defence in game anyway, but Jagex have already stated they don't have +defence stats, only levels.

Then it would be the best monster to test out your theory no? If you are correct (You aren't.) 78 should hit just as much as 99. In reality, trying to kill Black dragons at level 78 attack is like trying to punch through a brick wall, you can do it yes, but it's going to take a while.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Misc: Abyssal Whip x28 , Dark Bow x5, Beserker Ring x3, Warrior ring x1

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

However, if you use JUST a super-strength potion you will hit MORE CONSISTANT (thus kill the iron dragon faster) than you will if you use JUST a super-attack.

Of course, a sup strength is usually better then a sup att. But that doesn't make a sup att useless. However, this is just going to be a "yes it is" "no it isn't" argument, unless someone is actually going to post some data.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

Then it would be the best monster to test out your theory no? If you are correct (You aren't.) 78 should hit just as much as 99. In reality, trying to kill Black dragons at level 78 attack is like trying to punch through a brick wall, you can do it yes, but it's going to take a while.

You can't do a test like that because your xp would change.

This may be a myth or it may not be but I've always found the closer I am to reaching my next level the less I hit consistantly (the more 0s I hit).

It would be nice to know the formula for how each level effects what you hit. They obviously use a random number generator, and bonus would have to increase your chances somehow. The thing is, the difference between 95-99 is like 5-6m xp, however the changes are probably minimal.

But because of the psuedo-randomness of it, reverse engineering is almost impossible. Therefore, we'll just have to have faith that Jagex is factoring it in the formula somehow.

w4M8t.png

Its definitely noticable on monsters.

On players not so much, but you have to remember unlike most monster players have masses of defensive boosts to various attack styles etc.

And as defence is the counterpart of attack (eg higher defence = more 0s instead of numbers).

I mean go up against barrows armour, particularly at slightly off max levels, you will hit alot more often when you're using a crush attack because barrows armour crush defence is the lowest.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

However, I see in person and such that people with only 60 Attack seem to hit more consistently than I do, even against people with higher defence, which brings me to my other point.

selective perception, if you have higher attack you will hit more often on average no level 60 attack has a chance against 99 attack in a successful attack contest (granted you may need a very large sample to tell how much more effective)

29bc22o.png

[hide=drops]10 black masks, 39 dragon boots, 21 whip, 9 dark bow, 7 dragon legs, 8 mauls, 3 dragon left half, 2 dragon spear, 2 hexcrest, 1 kbd heads, 10 dragon med, 2 R ammy, 2 granite legs, 1 bandos boots , 1 bandos hilt , 1 bandos chestplate, 1 saradomin sword(ls), 2 dragon claws(ls)(solo)[/hide]

[hide=Viralaether's guide to Mac use]1) take your mac

2) drop it off your roof

3) ??????

4) Profit![/hide]1/7/9 quest cape ||| 5/6/9 all diaries ||| 7/14/9 300 rank MA ||| 4998th to 99 summoning on 2/27/10

selective perception, if you have higher attack you will hit more often on average no level 60 attack has a chance against 99 attack in a successful attack contest (granted you may need a very large sample to tell how much more effective)

99 attack is like 12.7M more exp than 60 attack. The increase in effectiveness should be made much more noticeable.

Zerker_jane.png

I've personally noticed a massive difference since getting 99 attack. If your hitting something or soembody will low defence, ofcourse there won't be a difference, because you will be hitting very constantly anyway. But once you get to enemies or monsters that have a higher defence, the difference is noticable. I see a massive difference between 99 attack and super potted attack when on super-high level defences like bandos or KBD, you couldn't even dream of hitting often with -80 attack.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Personally I don't plan on training my attack level anytime soon but it does make a difference for sure. On a much smaller scale than comparing 60 attack to 99 attack i have played on obby maauler accounts before and on the first one I tried I got 10 attack(don't ask why. BAD idea :wall:) and i noticed a HUGE difference between 1 and 10 attack. The both reflects level and bonus as with 10 attack I used a black scimitar not a red topaz machete. In my opinion level and bonus do make a difference.

nv1jyo.jpg

Rune Pureeeeeeeeeeeee