Did Jagex ever IP ban?

Smithy93

i believe you misunderstand what an IP ban is... it's not some ultimate weapon to be used against the worst of the worst, and it is not very effective at keeping individuals out

though for people they really want gone from the game it seems they use information including the person's IP address to find all of their accounts, and ban them all.

fishing.gif

Yes, Jagex can issue IP bans. They don't have a lasting effect, though - you can typically get a new IP in a matter of moments. Those that social engineer (yes, not "hack", as is the common, but abused turn-of-phrase is) wouldn't be affected much by an IP ban, anyway - there are hundreds of machines with Internet access in their city, and their router can be reset to circumvent the ban.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

they can also ban any ip's within 1 mile from your house.

I run a server for a game(wolfenstein ET) and when ever i ip ban anybody i ban every Ip within a mile of their house, and if they get anew ip it gets banned becuase of the area ban.

another thing you can do is ban their computer, it lets off some special ID then you ban the Id from connecting. good for hackers :thumbup:

OMG OMG SAILING IS COMING LOLOLOLOL!!!1111 b/c JAGEX GAMES STUDIO , ANAGRAM OF SAITO JUDGE X-GAMES

TAKASHI SAITO= RED SOX P1TCHER... RED SOX = BOSTON, BOSTON = PORT CITY!!!! PORT CITY = SAILING

Yes and it looks something like this:

ipban.png

My friend sent it to me the other day he calls himself a full-time bug abuser :roll:

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I run a server for a game(wolfenstein ET) and when ever i ip ban anybody i ban every Ip within a mile of their house, and if they get anew ip it gets banned becuase of the area ban.

another thing you can do is ban their computer, it lets off some special ID then you ban the Id from connecting. good for hackers :thumbup:

i'm not sure how ips are assigned, but i believe what that is is the use of wildcards in the ip ban... so a range of ips are banned.

fishing.gif

...which, again, can be circumvented. It's almost pointless to ban IPs. Also, this "special ID" you are referring to is probably the MAC address. I just happen to have a program here that can change it.

As said in Russia... "there is always a roundabout".

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

I'd say maybe in an extreme case, or if they knew the IP was static, but if its a dynamic IP, then no.. you have to remember siblings may use the same computer to play RuneScape I used to share a computer with my sister who played.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

Back in the RS1 era, Jagex did quite many IP bans, but these were rather easy to render void, as they didn't counter for dynamic addresses. I'm not sure if they've done that recently anymore. A good ol' perm ban is far more effective.

dontfearthereaper2.png

I don't know how it's actually called but I guess they would ban either the MAC address or the provider IP (can't be changed except you would change your provider or internet socket). Banning the normal IP is useless and I think nobody actually does it. For example here in germany you get a new IP every day.

[404] Signature not found.

Jagex often and regularly IP bans goldfarmers when they existed and if they still do exist, use it as a measure to try and prevent them. However you'll notice as people become more and more tech savvy they'll find ways to circumvent it, so it isn't exactly the best method of preventing rule breakers.

It really isn't a huge deal but yes, to answer your question they do hand out IP bans after someone regularly breaks the rules.

Did Jagex ever IP ban anyone? Is it possible they can?

Like Durial after world 111 glitch?

Or the guy who duped the party hats?

I think that Durial was IP banned. The only people who should be IP banned are the true hackers and anyone who bots.

I don't think they would IP ban Durial321 or the person who duped party hats in RSC. There's no need to IP ban someone if an exploit has been found, since it's already been fixed and the likeliness of a person like Durial finding another weakness in the code to severely exploit the game is low. If I recall correctly there's been numerous talks about Durial having a secondary account, and that's where he plays on in secrecy... without the rule breaking of course. However as I said before it's easy to circumvent to IP ban and to get playing again.

By the way, there's no way to "hack" Runescape. Just people who can exploit the game to find weaknesses in the code. And even then as we've all said before IP banning is not a permanent measure to stop these rule breakers.

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

It's more of a nominal ban. It doesn't really accomplish the purpose it sets out to do. It's meant to keep an individual out, but they can always get a new IP. It's really only to tell everyone that "Jagex thinks this player was extremely abusive". In practice, it really goes no further than perm banning 1 character.

There is no way to tell the physical location of an IP address except for the a rough estimate as the location of the node. Using any sort of IP lookup website or tool reports that my IP is over 50 miles away from where I physically am.

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

There is no way to tell the physical location of an IP address except for the a rough estimate as the location of the node. Using any sort of IP lookup website or tool reports that my IP is over 50 miles away from where I physically am.

I was thinking the same thing. It's crazy some of the things these kids make up. I'm a little confused of what he means exactly by he "runs a server".

And as people have said IP bans and MAC bans can easily be overcame.

/thread

w4M8t.png

Did Jagex ever IP ban anyone? Is it possible they can?

Like Durial after world 111 glitch?

Or the guy who duped the party hats?

I think that Durial was IP banned. The only people who should be IP banned are the true hackers and anyone who bots.

mhm. durial probably got a new ip though bc its so easy to get a new one.

35hedkh.jpg

I was thinking the same thing. It's crazy some of the things these kids make up. I'm a little confused of what he means exactly by he "runs a server".

And as people have said IP bans and MAC bans can easily be overcame.

and

/thread

a game server. gf. when ever i do a area ban it keeps them out :/
OMG OMG SAILING IS COMING LOLOLOLOL!!!1111 b/c JAGEX GAMES STUDIO , ANAGRAM OF SAITO JUDGE X-GAMES

TAKASHI SAITO= RED SOX P1TCHER... RED SOX = BOSTON, BOSTON = PORT CITY!!!! PORT CITY = SAILING

...which, again, can be circumvented. It's almost pointless to ban IPs. Also, this "special ID" you are referring to is probably the MAC address. I just happen to have a program here that can change it.

Aren't MAC addresses burnt into the network interface card? So I don't think software could change it :?

Edit: Oh, forgot about router MAC addresses. My bad.

slayermask3.png

A Draconic Guide V1.4, Fimer - Multi-Timer Farming Timer V3.

Dragon Boots: 39|Abyssal Whips: 16|Dark Bows: 1|

Aren't MAC addresses burnt into the network interface card? So I don't think software could change it :?

Edit: Oh, forgot about router MAC addresses. My bad.

They arn't burned, however they are hard coded. However, contrary to popular belief, you can still spoof your mac address regardless if it was hard coded or assigned via software.

w4M8t.png

spoof not change ;)

and its easy to detect a spoofed address