Goldfarming Banned in China

Omali

The moment we've all been waiting with eager anticipation since Jagex first started fighting with sleeping bags and fatigue is here! In a sweeping move, China has banned Goldfarming!

The Chinese government estimates that trade in virtual currency exceeded several billion yuan last year, a figure that it claims has been growing at a rate of 20% annually. One billion yuan is currently equal to about $146 million.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/int ... =218101859

Break out the emot-redhammer.gif and the energy drinks. It's goldfarmer hunting season!

Now, obviously, the goldfarmers in china who are doing this already aren't exactly legit businessmen, but now it's official.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will put millions of families out of jobs!

Yes, it does suck in the sense that it will be a loss of jobs for tons of people. However, it is against the law on an international level. And the fact that many of these companies abuse the trust of trading and commit various forms of fraud doesn't really have me crying into a bucket at the moment.

Think of the children!!

The children who won't be buying gold anymore, or the children who won't be eating because income went poot?

Both... both!!

13Ra3.png

Veteran Cape Owner (10 year)

Not only that, but there goes 9 million of WoW's subscribers.

No way! That's OVER 9000!!!!

Sucks about the job loss part though, although they probably weren't being paid in the first place...

[hide=Drops]Dragon: Spear x1, Med helm x3, legs x2, pickaxe x1, skirt x3, scimitar x1

Barrows: DH helm x1, Verac Brassy x2, Karil Skirt x1, Ahrim Hood x2, Guthan Spear

GWD: Arma Helm x1

Other: Handcannon x4, Leaf Bladed Sword x3[/hide]

As would banning prostitution, yet people seem to be all for banning that. Keep in mind that in either case nothing would really change. The people in charge of these gold farming operations were never very fine and upstanding businessmen to begin with. The only difference is that now the occasionally person will get caught, however this law is not going to accomplish much.

Artemis_42.png

"Those who know nothing, can understand nothing"

- Ansem, Kingdom Hearts

As would banning prostitution, yet people seem to be all for banning that. Keep in mind that in either case nothing would really change. The people in charge of these gold farming operations were never very fine and upstanding businessmen to begin with. The only difference is that now the occasionally person will get caught, however this law is not going to accomplish much.

Prostitution is already illegal. Or is that a State law? Well it's illegal in my state.

This new law in China won't really change anything because the people who enforce the laws are corrupt beyond all comprehension.

How can a country of over 1.3 Billion people enforce something like gold farming? I guess this is great (not for gold farmers) but it kinda seems something hard to enforce :|

[/buzzkill] :-#

Not only that, but there goes 9 million of WoW's subscribers.

No way! That's OVER 9000!!!!

Sucks about the job loss part though, although they probably weren't being paid in the first place...

its not even close to over 9000....

over 9000= 6+1 new[bleep]

Kripsbmackin.png

(No, i dont actually think I'm in the crips.)

How can a country of over 1.3 Billion people enforce something like gold farming? I guess this is great (not for gold farmers) but it kinda seems something hard to enforce :|

[/buzzkill] :-#

Well, lots of things are illegal and are still done anyway. The fact that we know something will be done about it when a cyber sweatshop is found is more than enough for me.

Just because something becomes illegal, it doesn't prevent people from doing it.

TBH, I doubt the Chinese government will really fund and put effort into something like this. Compared to the economic crisis that's bound to hit them with the bill Obama is trying to pass (it puts huuuuge fines/taxes on companies who go overseas for cheap labor, its an attempt to get more U.S. people back in work) I think china has bigger fish to fry.

Excluding the whole "Families going Bust" moment: FINALLY! If they realy do try and make the effort to crack down on this we MIGHT actully get the damn trade limits removed, or eased up greatly.

Popoto.~<3

Well just because it is illegal doesn't mean that all the people who run the gold farming businesses are going to pack up and send home all their workers. They will just run more secretively to elude the government. And besides I can't see Chinese government putting a huge amount of funds into cracking down on these people.

Still not sure whether this is a good or bad thing. It has its pros and cons, we will just have to see how much this changes anything. Realistically I don't think anyone will notice a difference.

Just because something becomes illegal, it doesn't prevent people from doing it.

TBH, I doubt the Chinese government will really fund and put effort into something like this. Compared to the economic crisis that's bound to hit them with the bill Obama is trying to pass (it puts huuuuge fines/taxes on companies who go overseas for cheap labor, its an attempt to get more U.S. people back in work) I think china has bigger fish to fry.

He's seriously doing that? I had no idea something that asinine was even in the works! Ha, say hello to rises in the cost of living and goodbye to competitive business, folks!
If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

He's seriously doing that? I had no idea something that asinine was even in the works! Ha, say hello to rises in the cost of living and goodbye to competitive business, folks!

Yay America will be back to normal......!

Runeman231.png

GESig.gif