Games that you find overrated?

Princess Viola

Half Life.

Extremely overrated, especially for what it is.

That's one i will personally disagree with. Ok, maybe the second is marginally over-rated, but the first was immense for the time. I think if they made a version of half life with grey, super-graphics like most console FPS's that come out atm, it would get more acceptance with console players. It's never really been about the visuals, but mainly about what's going on under the groundworks of the game.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Half Life.

Yes and no .. I agree that it is Overrated NOW .. but for its era it wasn't.

It has never at any point been overrated, it's AMAZING. Levels are varied, killing things is satisfying, and theres so many ways to do it! Not to mention probably one of the best storylines ever seen in a video game, if not THE best. Especially since Episode 2 when I realized the small little details they put in. For example, when I arrived at White Forest Outpost, I noticed 2 resistance fighters walking out of the base, and followed them. They went through some trees and ended up at a cliff overlooking the entire forest, it was an awesome view. They sat down with their legs hanging over the edge, when one said "You smell that? It's the smell of freedom. It's so close."

Theres tons of things like that. In the underground level theres even a referrence to George W. Bush :lol:

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

BIOSHOCK.

I'm sorry but, it was just kind of boring to me. It's not a bad game, but it's soooo overrated. I blew through it playing on normal half asleep by how easy it was, the beautiful Biggies that looked so mean in the trailer were just push overs, "Back up, tommy gun, that was hard...".

So then I load that [bleep] up on hard and whatta' you know, not only do you have to beat Bioshock, but you also have to complete the entire game of Pipe-Builder, I mean just CONSTANT hacking and frustration.

The game was pretty, it wasn't horrible, but it is without doubt imo overrated. Maybe Bioshock 2 will suprise me, I'm definatly going to give it a chance.

Half Life.

I'm going to (obviously) disagree with this. I'm sure it doesn't help but when a game almost unanimously wins hundreds of "the best game of all time" awards you know there is something about it. I really do not see any FPS that has done it better than Half Life, and I would be strongly interested in what you think has because I want to play that game ASAP.

The only thing I could see not liking Half Life is because the story is very Lost like. As in a lot of the story is down to speculation while they slowly unravel what is going on. As someone who has beaten the original game probably 5 times and the expansions a few times each (and obviously played through HL2 and EP1/EP2) there are things you will not catch with the first play through. I was amazed at how many little tidbits to the story you get by just placing the pieces together and thinking. I've had numerous long discussions over steam with some people about the story, the origins of the G-Man, his intentions, ect.

Also in all honesty no other company can pace their games as well as valve can. Sure, there were some parts in Half Life which were not perfect (most notably a few of the odd jumping puzzles which seem really out of place) and the voices were a little limited (mostly attributed to the time it came out) but honestly, I can't really see someone calling it overrated. This is the game that honestly changed the way we did FPS, and there is a pretty clear line with "pre half-life" FPS and "post half-life" FPS. Before half life the storyline in an FPS was largely used as just an excuse to get around and shoot people. Levels were largely disjointed for the most part showing no real continuity at all. Half Life was one of the first FPS's who had a continual storyline and world.

When you add in the fact that it spawned some of the worlds best multiplayer FPS's I would say it very easily can sit up there on it's pedestal. It wasn't a perfect game but it damn well is the closest thing to perfect.

BIOSHOCK.

Bioshock just felt like a worse System Shock 2 to me.

Bioshock just felt like a worse System Shock 2 to me.

This will be the last time I ever start up the Bioshock argument, I promise :lol:

I agree that BioShock is alot like System Shock 2 in just about every way, but personally I prefer Bioshock just on a few key things. I prefer BioShocks unda da sea setting, and while they're very much alike, I felt more involved with BioShock's storyline. The thing I didn't like was the combat. Theres plenty of creative things that you can do, but most of the time you don't need to do anything other than empty a few rounds into an enemy. Big Daddy's are much less difficult than advertised, and the final boss fight was piss easy. I also don't like the idea of the cryo-tubes, they come every 2 feet and turn death into nothing more than a minor annoyance.

tl;dr

I like Bioshock better, but it's too easy and System Shock 2 is a better challenge.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Definitely Halo, I don't see anything special about it?

Nintendogs. Me, my brother and my brothers friend bought different copies off it, we got bored and sold the three the next week... D:

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas as well. Its been voted the best game ever made a few times. Hello? Final Fantasy 7 and Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time owns that game anyday. O_o

Nintendogs. Me, my brother and my brothers friend bought different copies off it, we got bored and sold the three the next week... D:

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas as well. Its been voted the best game ever made a few times. Hello? Final Fantasy 7 and Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time owns that game anyday. O_o

Seriously, you know what ticks me off. Anyone who just buys "Insert Popular Title of the Day" and acts like they're a gamer, and they know anything about games.

I know I guy like that, he said he knew anything about games, I asked him some simple questions. (His answers are in bold)

1. When was the NES released in the US?

It was released in 1998, duh.

2. When did Sonic start sucking?

1974, [wagon]!

3. What is the secret password in Metroid?

There's no passwords in Metroid.

4. What are all Kirby games known as in Japan?

Suck n Blow Boy Adventure! LOL!!!!

#-o

I only know #3, and #4 because of the Kirby thread. Mostly because I was too young to really remember my SNES, let alone the NES. And I never cared about Sonic anyway.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

I only know #3, and #4 because of the Kirby thread. Mostly because I was too young to really remember my SNES, let alone the NES. And I never cared about Sonic anyway.

Well the SNES was out in '90 so the NES had to be out before then... ('90 as an decade, not a specific year)

Seriously, you know what ticks me off. Anyone who just buys "Insert Popular Title of the Day" and acts like they're a gamer, and they know anything about games.

I know I guy like that, he said he knew anything about games, I asked him some simple questions. (His answers are in bold)

1974, [wagon]!

#-o

People who think you have to know everything about a a subject like video games to be called a gamer is wrong. I've played video games all my live and I don't know the answers to any of those questions. I just know the NES came out in the 80s and the SNES came out in the early 90s.

tFtfA.jpg

1974, [wagon]!

#-o

You just started to quiz a kid about random video game facts? What the [bleep]?

I've been playing video games for 19+ years (chances are longer than you've been alive) and I don't know the answer to #3/#4, not to mention #2 is subjective. (some believe the downfall started after sonic 2, some thought it was the start of 3D sonic games, I personally think Sonic Adventure 2 was the last good one).

Really though, that's really lame. I'd have a very strong urge to hit someone (and I've never hit anyone before) if they just started to ask me that stuff.

1974, [wagon]!

#-o

I've been playing video games for 19+ years (chances are longer than you've been alive) and I don't know the answer to #3/#4, not to mention #2 is subjective. (some believe the downfall started after sonic 2, some thought it was the start of 3D sonic games, I personally think Sonic Adventure 2 was the last good one).

Really though, that's really lame. I'd have a very strong urge to hit someone (and I've never hit anyone before) if they just started to ask me that stuff.

Yeah that is a bit...well I don't want to say nerdy, after all I am on Runescape forums right now. lol But yeah that's a bit of a know-it-all thing to do, I've been playing games since I was like 4(1995) and I probobly couldn't answer any of those.

I don't care that it's nerdy, but I just picture this kid acting all high and mighty because he knew when the NES came out (even though I doubt he was even alive when it first came out.). The fact that he probably actually did this in real life (if it wouldn't be bad enough on a forums) only makes it worse. :lol:

But yeah, acting like a know-it-all is annoying, acting like it about video games is just sad.

1974, [wagon]!

#-o

Yeah that is a bit...well I don't want to say nerdy, after all I am on Runescape forums right now. lol But yeah that's a bit of a know-it-all thing to do, I've been playing games since I was like 4(1995) and I probobly couldn't answer any of those.

The first memory I have was playing super mario world on the SNES. :D Though I could never beat it... When I was younger I could never figure out the puzzles of about any game. I eventually beat it though.

Well, my first memory of playing tv-consoles was playing Turtles in time with me friend on his SNES, we even got to the final boss! We never found out how to beat it, the words "shell shock" are still in my head.

1974, [wagon]!

#-o

So knowing facts makes you a gamer? :|

keen.png

1974, [wagon]!

#-o

So knowing facts makes you a gamer? :|

I think it's the lack of general knowledge. I don't know the exact year the SNES came out. But I know CT came out in 1995 for the SNES so it atleast has to be older than that.

Well, my first memory of playing tv-consoles was playing Turtles in time with me friend on his SNES, we even got to the final boss! We never found out how to beat it, the words "shell shock" are still in my head.

That was one of my favourite games. One of my old friends and I beat it once, but usually didn't get far past the Dinos.