Herb Death increase?

swampjedi

I haven't been keeping precise numbers, but it seems to me that my herbs are dying more. In the last week, more than half of my runs (it seems) have had 1 or 2 deaths, and averaging fewer per live plant. I've had five runs where three were dead, and two where all four were dead. This works out to an average of 5 or less (and that includes the troll patch). For example, my last 2 runs averaged to 4.8.

I'm 98 farming, and I've done pure herbs since the 80s - this isn't normal.

I KNOW the law of averages, so don't tell me I'm having bad luck. I expect that is EXACTLY it... unless lots of other people are feeling that it has changed.

I think I'll start keeping track and see what I get. I still have ~800 seeds to go till 99.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, welcome to runescape farming.

Average has always been 5 since they started giving out the little green hedge clippers.

Now that your paying attention you see it to. ::'

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

You probably also had a week or two of amazig herb runs, where none of them died and they all averaged ~10 herbs each. In the grand sceme of things a week of herb runs really doesn't account for much compared to the rest of the data collected. I'll come back once I complete my latest herb patch though ;) .

EDIT: All healthy (3 Toadflax, 1 Avantoe, and 1 Kwuarm) and average yield, if nothing else I wish you better luck in the future ::' .

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

Just like air, you never notice that you're breathing fine, but you always notice when there becomes a lack of air. I'd say do a more runs before you jump to conclusions.

w4M8t.png

Folks, read what I wrote - I'm not stupid. My post wasn't "Durr, my sample of 2 runs proves something", it was "Something seems like it MIGHT be off so I want to investigate." C'mon guys, 98 farming, tens of thousands of herb runs. I'm not a farming noob.

Read carefully BEFORE you hit the reply button.

And trem, you're wrong. Average is roughly 6.5 w secateurs and scompost, and has been since I started.

I've only had one die in my past 15 or so herb runs. It's just Jagex trying to stop you from getting 99 farming btw.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Folks, read what I wrote - I'm not stupid. My post wasn't "Durr, my sample of 2 runs proves something", it was "Something seems like it MIGHT be off so I want to investigate." C'mon guys, 98 farming, tens of thousands of herb runs. I'm not a farming noob.

Read carefully BEFORE you hit the reply button.

And trem, you're wrong. Average is roughly 6.5 w secateurs and scompost, and has been since I started.

Posts your logs then...Hard Data. I want to see your proof.

w4M8t.png

You still aren't reading, n64.

I haven't been keeping precise numbers, but it seems to me that my herbs are dying more. In the last week, more than half of my runs (it seems) have had 1 or 2 deaths, and averaging fewer per live plant. I've had five runs where three were dead, and two where all four were dead. This works out to an average of 5 or less (and that includes the troll patch). For example, my last 2 runs averaged to 4.8.

I KNOW the law of averages, so don't tell me I'm having bad luck. I expect that is EXACTLY it... unless lots of other people are feeling that it has changed.

I think I'll start keeping track and see what I get. I still have ~800 seeds to go till 99.

Lemme break it down. Something seems wrong. I have no data. I am asking if anyone does.

Yeah I've actually noticed it as well. Over the last week and a half I'd say 3/4 of all my patches on average have either died or become diseased. Maybe Jagex is just really cracking down on lvl 98 farmers. What herb are you growing btw, its dwarfweed for me.

Fabled_Foe.png

26M Crafting XP

Lemme break it down. Something seems wrong. I have no data. I am asking if anyone does.

There have been countless threads asking about nerfs, and the answer has been no. Every time someone has a bad streak, be it in mining, farming, slayer drops, god wars dungeon, etc, they have to make a thread asking if it's been nerfed.

It's like when people make a thread saying "Check out thiis tiny, blurry picture. Clearly sailing?" It's nothing personal, just that the community here demands hard evidence.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

To be fair, I do remember at least ONE time when some drop rates got unintentionally broken (I think it was that something wouldn't drop at all). So yeah, it's happened.

But yes - was just wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar, or was this just a blip. Trust me, I know chances are 99% or more that it's a blip.

the same have happened to me i used to rarely get dead herbs but in about 3 runs i got 3 herbs deaths...but i think it because my luck just ran out that's all.

[spoiler=Sig]oliboli1992.png

Oliboli1992.png

I like to think of the Dark Bow like a Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPG) - you get one shot and then you're screwed.

Well, I'm having the same atm, the past 3 runs (15 seeds), 7 died and the other 8 had between 5-8 herbs. However, the runs before that were awesome. So, I don't know, or there is a bit of code broken suddenly, or we are unlucky atm. :P

To be fair, I do remember at least ONE time when some drop rates got unintentionally broken (I think it was that something wouldn't drop at all). So yeah, it's happened.
That was when TT no longer dropped god book pages. Jagex had accidentally removed, and they took months to fix them.
If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

You still aren't reading, n64.

I don't think there's been a change to the death rate, but I did notice a large amount of dead herbs. Coincidence? Maybe.

2dvjurb.png

I guess it's worth posting, yea, I have noticed a difference. Not as extreme as you have, however death rates definitally higher, and harvests, to a lesser extent a bit lower.

Starting the beginning of this year, I had a farming spreadsheet (No, as much as I wish I did, I do not have the data up until this month). Here's January + February.

EXPLAINED first:

Yes, there are X's on the harvest numbers/average in Feb. Trust me, the average is about the same as the month before, however the reason it is incomplete, is that some merch crap happened in Feb causing me to have to sell the stocks I had. I might be able to find the specific harvest data around, but for now, this should suffice.

farming.png

Also, the average herb/patch is judged EXCLUDING deaths. I left out the part including deaths, however Including them, the average is 6.62.

Random Crap:

The death ratio for both those comes to around 10%.

Don't nitpick specifics. This is all done with 99 Farming, Supercompost, Secateurs.

I forgot to take out the "Total Picked" field. That field just means the number of seeds that didn't die.

sgsagssighe6.jpg

the trick is to balance all of these methods to get 99 and either play real life or train another skill while farming.

635th to 99 Farming 12/16/07

I've also noticed a drop. I've been farming herbs for almost 9 months now, and through that time, I've had obvious streaks of good and bad luck... but over the past week, it seems like the average of dead patches has gone up.

I don't have any data or anything, but this is just another incentive to start tracking myself.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

I think it must depend on the herb a bit aswell. With ranarrs I was averaging 33 per run (average of 6.6) for a long time, I planted over 1k seeds. At one point a couple weeks ago I started to only get about 28 per run (average of 5.6), I saw that due to current prices snapdragons were more profit, so I switched, and now I average 44 snapdragons a run (average of 8.8). Snaps have definitly being treating me well.