Being a self-made player

Dragoon5464

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I rc, I usually mine essences then run to the altar. Sounds like grinding but true.

Edited by A0z9

La Vallett1

A.k.a. "Nostalgic Vallett"

What's been said must be done.

Does anyone else work this way, or am I of a dying breed?

Yes, you are not alone. I play like you, getting all resources by myself and not buying anything for my levels. (Except of course summoning shards and planks.) And yes, we are sadly a dying breed as new players often want everything too easy and too fast.

In my view being self-sufficient is the way this kind of game is mean to be played; it yields more satisfaction over a reached goal; it prevents you from grinding long periods on one and the same activity; and it helps you experience all aspects of the game.

With respect to your problem getting rune essence; doing slayer help a lot as many slayer monsters drop noted essence and once you can summon abysal titans you can mine over 1k essence in one go without having to bank in between :-)

A game is meant to pass time while having fun. While it is more efficient in time to merch your way to levels, in my opinion it is much less fun to do.

BTW: Everyone is entitled to play the way they enjoy most, so please refrain from calling DIY players clueless. (And in return we will not call all traders scamming merchants :-) )

If you were meant to be self sufficient, why is it a multiplayer game in which you can trade?

And as far as all traders being scammers, last time I checked both parties agreed to the deal voluntarily. Both parties gain from trade.

Since I'm an rcer and it profits a lot for me, I buy the raw materials.

It's just too grinding for me to gather my own materials...

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

On my travels to Max Total, I was very much DIY. I cut my own Yew Logs to 99 Woodcutting, then used them to get 99 Fletching etc. I fished for 99 Fishing then cooked the fish for 99 Cooking and so on.

I did many quests without super potions, simply because I could not make them yet.

Getting to the higher levels in Runecrafting, Prayer and Crafting I then decided to bite the bullet and buy supplies.

I even collected my own herbs and seconds for herblor up untill I was about 90 herblore. I then still mainly collected my own herbs, but bought seconds.

I learnt to appreciate the value of buying items this way, and it also helped me keep my stats fairly balanced, so I was able to achieve Max Total quite comfortably.

Now? Well I buy most of my supplies, and pay for it by Runecrafting, and Slayer.

shey.png

Its all about efficiency

You would get the levels quicker if you bought the levels for 99 rc, and with the money you make, you could buy 99 smithing.

You could then power mine to 99 mining without having to think about the resources you're dropping.

Jamje.png

null and void

Does anyone else work this way, or am I of a dying breed?

Yes, you are not alone. I play like you, getting all resources by myself and not buying anything for my levels. (Except of course summoning shards and planks.) And yes, we are sadly a dying breed as new players often want everything too easy and too fast.

In my view being self-sufficient is the way this kind of game is mean to be played; it yields more satisfaction over a reached goal; it prevents you from grinding long periods on one and the same activity; and it helps you experience all aspects of the game.

With respect to your problem getting rune essence; doing slayer help a lot as many slayer monsters drop noted essence and once you can summon abysal titans you can mine over 1k essence in one go without having to bank in between :-)

A game is meant to pass time while having fun. While it is more efficient in time to merch your way to levels, in my opinion it is much less fun to do.

BTW: Everyone is entitled to play the way they enjoy most, so please refrain from calling DIY players clueless. (And in return we will not call all traders scamming merchants :-) )

1) Because trading doesn't actually exist right? Dude, this game is MADE for Multiplayer. Anyone who says difference is a fool.

2) How does your next sentence cause grinding? It IS grinding.

On my travels to Max Total, I was very much DIY. I cut my own Yew Logs to 99 Woodcutting

Dang o.O I cut someone elses logs for my levels :o

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

In my opinion I don't see the point. Buying raw materials from other players or gathering the materials independently isn't going to make any difference in my opinion. In the hiscores, it's not going to state 'this is a self-made player' nor will it in-game. Other than trying to gain respect from other players (even though anyone can say they are a self-made player); it's time consuming and pretty much pointless in my opinion. Of course, if you want train certain skills such as Woodcutting or Fishing, then burn them or cook them afterwards; that's pretty smart. But I wouldn't want to spend more time playing the game than I really have to.

2) How does your next sentence cause grinding? It IS grinding.

Grinding for me is spending lots of time on only 1 skill or activity, like buying 10k logs, fletching them into bows, buying 10k bowstrings, adding them to the bows, sell them.

What I do is just what I feel like doing while online. I never spend much time on 1 skill only as skills interlock - what 1 skill produces, another consumes. All skills gain levels roughly evenly, some favorites going faster other going slower, if I need something, that is the skill I persue, unless I smell a falling star, an evil tree or hear a penguin frittin around of course :-)

It's perfectly logical. It'd be faster to get 99 rc by buying ess and 99 mining by mining something else..

this i believe, unless you have all the time in the world

And nobody can say they have that unless they're dead. And when you're dead it is very hard to play Runescape.

I can understand how you think though. It always feel especially good to achieve something when you know that you have done it all by yourself. It is just that if you should do like this with everything you do, it takes incredible much more time than if you simply buy the raw materials. I myself don't find putting down all that time fun. But we're all different and I think you should keep going on as you do. Train RC the way you want not as others do or think you should train it. We all play to have fun, not because we want to play just like all others do.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

When I first began playing Runescape I was self sufficient, but it soon became apparent it just wasn't an effective method of training. It may mean you level up more than one skill at once, but it also takes more time and it can be annoying if for example you are like me, and you like firemaking, but despise woodcutting. Kudos for you if its an effective method for you, but for the majority of people it just wouldn't work. Also, getting all that p-ess is going to drive you insane.

It's perfectly logical. It'd be faster to get 99 rc by buying ess and 99 mining by mining something else..

This, I laugh at people who cut magic logs to 99, for money at that. Could of been doing something else, making more money, then getting your woodcut levels 30x as quick later.

In my opinion I don't see the point. Buying raw materials from other players or gathering the materials independently isn't going to make any difference in my opinion. In the hiscores, it's not going to state 'this is a self-made player' nor will it in-game. Other than trying to gain respect from other players (even though anyone can say they are a self-made player); it's time consuming and pretty much pointless in my opinion. Of course, if you want train certain skills such as Woodcutting or Fishing, then burn them or cook them afterwards; that's pretty smart. But I wouldn't want to spend more time playing the game than I really have to.

Your view is result based, as if this game is only about reaching a certain skill lvl or a high score rank. While this might be true for some people, don't forget that the journey is actually the longest, and this being a game, should be fun, right? So if people find it more satisfactory to do it DIY, than they should, no?

The game is not all about efficiency, gp/xp or xp/h, it is about having fun. If you find making money and buying skills fun it is logical to do that, if you find getting your own raw materials and being self sufficient, doing that is logical. the situation will change from player to player so no universal way will be better for everybody.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Hey, this topic was revived at a pretty good time. Last week, all the raw ingredients were pretty much unbuyable, so I had to play a DIY style. It was pretty fun actually, planning out your mining/ construction/ slayer time and changing them up instead of grinding.

Staurolite.png

I don't mind DIY sometimes, but othertimes having to do so can be a royal PITA.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I doubt it's that you're 'a dying breed' per se. I just think that the people playing RuneScape, or at least the majority of them are simply impatient and want what they want, when they want it. They don't want to waste time training a boring skill when they can just buy the items or goods produced directly by it with no hassle in between, it's quite simple. It's just preference in playing style.

A well-known economic saying sums up my ideas on the topic: "Self-sufficiency is the road to poverty."

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

when your a low level and dont have enough money for skills doing it yourself seems valuable and before hunter came out giving everyone that could get 99 30m starting cash diy was a worthy way to play but now. its completely inefficient. why mine ess if u can just buy it and get so much money per hour more than spending lots of itme mining it. why cut yews or magics to 99 woodcuttiing when can just do ivy and slay to get other money. only thing i never bought was nature runes....but i buy the ess to make natures alll the time.

and i hate when people say farming for herb is "pure profit" when u lose the potential money from making the herbs into pots....

StarViv.png