Isnt combat skills the best way to go?

TotalTalker

The original poster makes a very insightful point that I'm surprised Jagex has missed until now. Obviously, people like to show off their levels. The wild popularity of skill capes has demonstrated this beyond cavil. Yet there is no way to show off high levels below 99. Jagex should come up with some wearable items (comparable to the achievement diary items or the circus costumes) that have zero or minimal stats but that can be earned progressively as one moves toward a 99. Let's take runecrafting as an example. At a low level, a player could earn runecrafting boots. Then gloves. Then ammy. Last would be legs, chest and finally cape (with emote). The skillcape then would be a capstone on the entire outfit. Ideally, the entire outfit would coordinate and be suitable to the skill. I think that would be a very nice addition to the game.

punitivedsig.png

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original poster makes a very insightful point that I'm surprised Jagex has missed until now. Obviously, people like to show off their levels. The wild popularity of skill capes has demonstrated this beyond cavil. Yet there is no way to show off high levels below 99. Jagex should come up with some wearable items (comparable to the achievement diary items or the circus costumes) that have zero or minimal stats but that can be earned progressively as one moves toward a 99. Let's take runecrafting as an example. At a low level, a player could earn runecrafting boots. Then gloves. Then ammy. Last would be legs, chest and finally cape (with emote). The skillcape then would be a capstone on the entire outfit. Ideally, the entire outfit would coordinate and be suitable to the skill. I think that would be a very nice addition to the game.

GF bankspace :wall:. Unless Jagex added like 100 new bank spots as well.

Lugia_Lvl138.png

4x Phat owner: Blue, Green, 2x Purple

3100+ GWD bosses soloed.

Solo GWD Drops:

5 Bandos Plates, 4 Bandos Boots, 3 Bandos Hilts, 2 Arma Helms, Arma Skirt, Arma Plate, 3 Arma Hilts, 4 Zammy Spears, Steam Staff, 15 Sara Swords, 6 Sara Hilts, 29 Shards.

I don't think it's needed, but that is a nice idea. When you click on the guide of a skill, there is a milestones page.. and it's usually just blank with 99 cape. These would fit in there.

Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem..

GF bankspace :wall:. Unless Jagex added like 100 new bank spots as well.

Easy to solve -- make them storable in poh. Or make them like the circus costumes -- the guy who gives out the capes keeps your pieces for you.

punitivedsig.png

I don't think it's needed, but that is a nice idea. When you click on the guide of a skill, there is a milestones page.. and it's usually just blank with 99 cape. These would fit in there.

Sorry for the double post, but, yeah. This solves that age old problem of "no incentive" between mastery of a skill and 99. It would make working toward 99 less of a grind. And it would allow those who are dedicated to a skill (but not dedicated to grinding toward a 99) to show their dedication by wearing the earned pieces of their skill costume.

punitivedsig.png

Sorry for the double post, but, yeah. This solves that age old problem of "no incentive" between mastery of a skill and 99. It would make working toward 99 less of a grind. And it would allow those who are dedicated to a skill (but not dedicated to grinding toward a 99) to show their dedication by wearing the earned pieces of their skill costume.

Seems like a great idea, since most people give up halfway, etc. because of having so much longer to go until the big reward.

99 Fishing achieved August 12, 2009 at 7:56PM CT

Me_Fuh_Q.png

The original poster makes a very insightful point that I'm surprised Jagex has missed until now. Obviously, people like to show off their levels. The wild popularity of skill capes has demonstrated this beyond cavil.

I don't think Jagex has missed this point. Otherwise, we wouldn't have even had skillcapes. I wonder which came first though: the chicken or the egg. Before skillcapes, many skills had no incentive to train all the way to 99, because many of them stopped unlocking rewards at around 85-90. Some people stopped training, but a lot of people didn't bother because they didn't see a point in spending money and time on a skill that got them nothing more. After skillcapes were released, it gave players something to shoot for.

If I had a choice, however, between an outfit to show off and new abilities at higher levels, I'd rather have new abilities. Yes, it's nice to show off your stats every now and then, but I think that goes hand-in-hand with obtaining a tangible reward at the end. Maybe Tip.It should make this their next poll question. I'd be interested in the results.

rssig2.png

There is one thing people seem to forget. Even with incentives or no incentive there are people who skill to 99 in every possible skill not for glory but because it completes the game. For example, the only way to fully beat a game on a platformer like Okami on the PS2 or Wii is to collect every collectable, buy every weapon, unlock all surprises, do all the side quest, beat all the bosses, have access to every place, and have as much coins as the game allows you. These people are few in population but do exist in Runescape as well. And since the game is always changing, their joy comes not from skills even in combat, but of completion of the game, knowing it will never be completed.

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

If I had a choice, however, between an outfit to show off and new abilities at higher levels, I'd rather have new abilities. Yes, it's nice to show off your stats every now and then, but I think that goes hand-in-hand with obtaining a tangible reward at the end. Maybe Tip.It should make this their next poll question. I'd be interested in the results.

With all due respect, that would be a lame poll -- everyone would prefer new abilities. But new abilities are a very hard thing to do. New abilities are very complicated because they have a lot of collateral effects. I certainly am not against new abilities. But it is pointless to compare outfits to new abilities. Outfits are simple and easy. It's basic art and coding. The overall design of the game is entirely unaffected.

But there's no reason to treat this as an either/or. Particularly for the skills that are uber hard to train (runecrafting, slayer, etc.), I think that it would be nice if the outfits had slight effects. The model I have in mind here is the lumberjack outfit. Perhaps each item of the outfit could have a slight benefit to the skill. As the outfit builds, the benefits can build so that it becomes most helpful at the upper levels, where training is most impossible.

Finally, back to the poll idea, I don't think we could trust the results of the poll, even if one were conducted. Everyone would say that they prefer effects to show off value, but the actual gameplay of people show the contrary. For example, why do thousands of people click away for hours to earn pointless skillcapes? Why is a statless piece of head paper worth millions? Why do people (and I admit I did this) give up very serious xp rewards to get "full ringmaster"? The answer to all of these is to show off. It's a huge part of the game. Many might deny it, but their actions prove otherwise.

punitivedsig.png

For example, why do thousands of people click away for hours to earn pointless skillcapes? Why is a statless piece of head paper worth millions? Why do people (and I admit I did this) give up very serious xp rewards to get "full ringmaster"? The answer to all of these is to show off. It's a huge part of the game. Many might deny it, but their actions prove otherwise.

I'd say that's only a piece of the puzzle. Why did thousands of players click away to 99 before skillcapes, or complete all the quests? Why do people camp out looking for challenge scrolls? Yes, some people like to show off their achievements, but for me it's more of if it's there in the game, then I want to do it. I might just be different though. I spend most of my time wandering around in a spottier cape and boots of lightness as my skilling outfit. I've always been in favor of function over fashion. I know there are others who spend time coordinating their outfits around their skillcape.

rssig2.png

I just realized that this game revolves entirely around combat. Most non-combat skill is just a method to gain tools for use in combat

Fishing/Cooking - Food

Farming/herblore - Potions

Mining/ Smithing/Crafting/Runecrafting/Fletching/Hunter - Weapons and Armour

Thieving, Agility and Firemaking are the only real exceptions, but alot of people consider them useless anyways

What's up with all these people who get 99 capes to "show off". I don't know about you guys, but if I see any cape, be it slayer or fletching, I don't care at all. I don't think to myself "Gee, look at that slayer cape. I bet that player put a lot of time and effort into their achievement. I'm so proud of him." I just look right over it, not even giving it a thought.

I'm tired of people getting 99s just for the sake of getting a cape or trimming one they already have, but if they think that it's so important I hope they enjoy spending countless hours for a silly cape most people don't care about.

Yes, I'd say combat is the way to go if you're looking to get the most out of the game, but you can tell I'm a bit biased. The most important thing is that you do something you actually want to do, not boring yourself just to "show off."

boeing2os2.png

I wonder which came first though: the chicken or the egg.

I believe I have a theoretical answer to this question. Or statement. Or whatever :|

Essentially, the egg cannot come into existence without the chicken, which lays the egg. So, thinking about that, the chicken comes before the egg. HOWEVER, you must also take into account the chicken laying the egg. They, too, came from an egg, and if they weren't hatched out of an egg there would be no "new egg". So, in summation, I can safely say that the question is completely stupid.

As a statement, however, it has its sentimental value ;)

Combat is overrated in levelling terms (e.g. lvl 130 been better than a lvl 90) but it is stupid to completely denounce it, for example level 3 skillers. You can prefer skilling over combat, but to try and avoid combat is impossible. It makes up about 80% of the game :?

disturbeda.png

I believe I have a theoretical answer to this question. Or statement. Or whatever :|

Essentially, the egg cannot come into existence without the chicken, which lays the egg. So, thinking about that, the chicken comes before the egg. HOWEVER, you must also take into account the chicken laying the egg. They, too, came from an egg, and if they weren't hatched out of an egg there would be no "new egg". So, in summation, I can safely say that the question is completely stupid.

The egg came first. Chickens don't lay eggs. Hens do.

29386_s.gif

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

I think it is better to have a high total level than just a high combat level. Just my opinion.

lovepanda86.png
lovepanda86.png
--8727th person to achieve 99 Fishing on 8/19/2008--
--6012th person to achieve 99 Thieving on 10/12/2008--

R.I.P. October 31, 2013

lovepanda.png

99 Fletching 7/16/2015

A lot of people don't differentiate between chickens and hens (okay some people do, but essentialy that is what the question is asking). Isn't a hen a chicken anyway?

disturbeda.png

A lot of people don't differentiate between chickens and hens (okay some people do, but essentialy that is what the question is asking). Isn't a hen a chicken anyway?

yes. But hens are a breed of chicken that lay eggs. Personally if it's packaged in a store I eat it. Chicken or hen.

29386_s.gif

yes. But hens are a breed of chicken that lay eggs. Personally if it's packaged in a store I eat it. Chicken or hen.

Okay hen or egg first?

I would personally say the egg because if we accept evolution the chicken is a descendant of another animal ( i think it's the junglefowel.)

There may not be any sepcific point when the junglefowel becomes the chicken as it happens over generations, but when the first "chicken" was made it would have started of as an egg.

This is as the chicken is just a mutation of the junglefowel genes.

Pit_Guardian.png

Gamertag: EFs Predator.

Games I play: Halo 3, Halo wars.

hmmm...

i noticed that 1800 total levels is considered to be 'low' in this thread.

It took me several years to get to 1817 total level, and I happen to have a relatively high combat level (132), but that is only because I have concentrated on the skill 'Slayer'. I find 1800 total level high. Because it took me so long and I spend so much time getting this far.

Slayer is my highest 'skill' skill, besides cooking (80) and herblore (78).

I wouldn't consider myself a skiller or a combat orientated player.

I just play runescape. I tend to take breaks from slayer to level other skills or do quests, but never too long.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

I have 1300 skill total with 131 combat, SERP. :thumbsup:

Take a guess what I enjoy most about this game, yep, killing stuff and people. Not standing at bank clicking X. But that's how *I* play this game. :thumbsup:

~ K O N K A R ~ Konkar Jr ~ X Konkar X
99 Strength - 18/12/08 - 99 Attack - 5/2/09
99 Hp - 20/7/09 - 99 Defence 26/7/09
K_O_N_K_A_R.png

R.I.P.
K R I S K
Krisk Jr
RSC, Lives on in all of us

Okay hen or egg first?

I would personally say the egg because if we accept evolution the chicken is a descendant of another animal ( i think it's the junglefowel.)

There may not be any sepcific point when the junglefowel becomes the chicken as it happens over generations, but when the first "chicken" was made it would have started of as an egg.

This is as the chicken is just a mutation of the junglefowel genes.

Definatly the egg came first, as the first chicken to be born (from that same egg) was a mutation of a previous creature, thats how evolution works, the animal who alid the egg wasnt a chicken, but what was born from it was.

So in relation to the game I guess people are saying combat [the egg] is a good way to start off. Then your chicken is whatever skill you use to make your self successful be it the mining & smithing type, fishing & cooking type, or pure combat type of chicken [rooster for guys].

29386_s.gif