200M in all Skills

Makilio

Allar should be somewhere in there.

@Goro/Musica - Allar would also be higher than Number1 [bleep]. So he'd be in 17th.

Yes, Allar is in top 15 but I was talking about top 15 in regards to Gemeos' spreadsheet, which doesn't include f2p (off highscores). Amongst the people that are in the highscores (I don't want to say active people, as it does include Telmomarques), he is #16.

goro.png
[spoiler=Skill level siggies are a so 07]tipit_siggy.png

Ok.

I don't know why such big deal about Number1 boss but I really don't care about it.

The only ways to join my time calculator are:

• Be in top 15 Overall XP;

OR

• Need less hours than Paperbag and must want to get 200m XP in all skills.

As we all agree, Number1boss isn't in top 15 Overall XP neither wants to get 200m XP in all skills.

This is my final word about this subject until he catch top 15 Overall XP. I'll ignore any request about Number1 boss.

The problem with this logic is that most people don't make such long-term goals.

That's why there's the first "way" = "Be in top 15 Overall XP".

It actually is, because... wait for it... it's reality.

RuneScape is a computer game. Your entire argument is invalid because of this fact.

You can not compare (read: logically) building a successful career to acquiring virtual experience points. It is the literal definition of what matters in life, and what does not. Although, I think Zarfot has said it best.

Lets say instead of runescape SUOMI was developing an indie game and had thrown as much time into learning/developing as he did into runescape. Let us also say that he enjoys developing his game for the sake of developing it, not necessarily to sell it. Lets also say that he released the game to market and this game was a colossal failure. Lets say that he still enjoyed developing this game regardless of it being a commercial failure and did not dream of stopping. How much different would SUOMI be today? He would have a set of money making skills that would still not be doing anything commercially for him, and still essentially have grinded the past 10 years on a wasted project. Even if this project was commercially successful, all it would mean for him is that he can buy fancier energy drinks for late night grinding on this games development [if thats all he cared about]

Keep in mind he is free to change his mind whenever, if he felt compelled he can change his focus to becoming a Pickup artist or something. But even if the past 10 years was a total waste it was still a personal achievement.

http://youtu.be/PMO3Swfc4FA

^

About as pointless as grinding in runescape

• Like 2

Im sorry, but you just cannot compare an accomplishment in game to the real world. Playing runescape is a waste of time, if you cant see that yet you soon will. We play it because we enjoy it, but spending 1000's of hours on a game is not an accomplishment.

Im sorry, but you just cannot compare an accomplishment in game to the real world.

I just did. And I play 0 hours of runescape personally, but view people who grind their like on rs to be no worse then that Forrest Gump clip, and for the most part people do it because they enjoy it. People like Zarfot did not enjoy it past a certain point and regretted doing things they didn't enjoy. To someone who did enjoy everything they did there is no loss even if you spent something like 1000 days playing

• Like 1

Im sorry, but you just cannot compare an accomplishment in game to the real world. Playing runescape is a waste of time, if you cant see that yet you soon will. We play it because we enjoy it, but spending 1000's of hours on a game is not an accomplishment.

(sigh) such little thought people put into their decisions these days -.-

77yLQy8.png

I just did. And I play 0 hours of runescape personally, but view people who grind their like on rs to be no worse then that Forrest Gump clip, and for the most part people do it because they enjoy it. People like Zarfot did not enjoy it past a certain point and regretted doing things they didn't enjoy. To someone who did enjoy everything they did there is no loss even if you spent something like 1000 days playing

Any accomplishment can roughly be divided into entertainment and knowledge. However, entertainment is a temporary, short-term gain, whereas knowledge is long-term and builds upon itself.

Playing Runescape is hugely about entertainment. You play Runescape and feel entertained, but once you log off you don't maintain that level of being entertained - you drop back down to some 'base level', per se. Yes, you gain knowledge while playing Runescape as well - skill training methods, lore, and other inner mechanics - but this sort of knowledge is not perceived by society as important or necessary to increase your standards of living and thus has a very low social value.

Let's look at another example. What about watching sports games? Watching sporting events is hugely about entertainment as well. However, there is a key difference between watching sports and playing Runescape - the value of knowledge. Since watching sports is much more socially popular than Runescape, the value of knowledge gained by watching sports is higher than it is for playing Runescape. You can use knowledge of sports and sports games that you watch to build new friendships and connect with your existing friends. This helps increase your social presence and develop connections that definitely can increase your standards of living. Yes, obviously, it doesn't add that much value, since sports games are mainly about entertainment, but it still adds more value than Runescape. (e.g. it's more likely you'd strike up a conversation with your boss/coworkers/peers/etc about last night's football game than the mechanics of training Fishing.. the only place where that might not be true is if you work at Jagex).

Now, finally, using your own original example of developing an indie game - if you truly enjoy the development of the game then obviously you're getting entertainment, but developing a game is clearly more about knowledge than entertainment (i.e. there are people who develop games that don't necessarily enjoy doing it). The entertainment you get out of it is just a bonus. (that's why people whose work also is their passion are often viewed as lucky!) Those years spent developing that game cultivated your programming knowledge and experience. Even if the game is a commercial failure, you still gain a significant amount of social advantage. (e.g. a game developing company would rather hire someone with a published game and years of experience rather than someone with no experience whatsoever).

To summarize: accomplishments are more about knowledge than entertainment. Entertainment is fleeting - you feel entertained in the moment but once you log off you don't maintain that level of being entertained. Knowledge, however, is long-term and can give you distinct social advantages. Runescape's value of knowledge gain is very low and thus playing Runescape may be perceived as pointless or a waste of time.

Again, accomplishments are subjective. Society also thinks that having a full time job, a spouse, and kids are accomplishments. But those things don't guarantee long-term happiness. Quite the opposite, usually. In other words, do what makes YOU happy, not society.

If playing RuneScape 10 hours a day, 7 days a week makes someone happy, more power to them. You might think it's a meaningless waste of time, but you don't have the authority to tell somebody else that they're wasting their time.

• Like 4

77yLQy8.png

Skwzr, I don't know about you but in my social spheres, games are far more popular than sports. While runescape itself is not necessarily a huge topic, gaming in general and game mechanics similar to runespace definitely come up in conversation. For me a lot more often than sports. We talk about game mechanic design as well as games in general.

Knowledge about non-essential things varies per social group. I value runescape knowledge far greater than sports.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Again, accomplishments are subjective. Society also thinks that having a full time job, a spouse, and kids are accomplishments. But those things don't guarantee long-term happiness. Quite the opposite, usually. In other words, do what makes YOU happy, not society.

Happiness is more than a pleasurable sensation, to achieve long term happiness it is more important to attain a deep feeling of fulfillment and serenity and I don't think rs can provide that.

Happiness is more than a pleasurable sensation, to achieve long term happiness it is more important to attain a deep feeling of fulfillment and serenity and I don't think rs can provide that.

Yes, the two kinds of happiness you're referring to are "hedonic happiness" (fulfilling basic needs; short-term gratifications; entertainment) and "eudaimonic happiness" (fulfillment, growth, long-term happiness, etc.).

Eudaimonic happiness generally comes from within, not from external validations, gratifications, and accomplishments. And I do agree that RS generally can't bring you eudaimonic happiness. I'm just saying that people shouldn't be discrediting RS achievements in comparison to RL achievements since they're basically the same thing most of the time, as far as happiness goes. And again, as Jebrim has illustrated previously, accomplishments are subjective.

77yLQy8.png

but are people truly happy when they achieve a 99 or a 200m? i know me personally i'd get a 99 and just move onto the next skill and not think twice about getting the 99, but if i got a 9x on a test in university i'd be ecstatic, or when I got to travel S.E. Asia, it was thrilling. I will never get that sort of emotion playing rs. when i'm on rs, If I saw myself in a mirror my face would look like [spoiler=image]alg_man_bored.jpg

but are people truly happy when they achieve a 99 or a 200m? i know me personally i'd get a 99 and just move onto the next skill and not think twice about getting the 99, but if i got a 9x on a test in university i'd be ecstatic, or when I got to travel S.E. Asia, it was thrilling. I will never get that sort of emotion playing rs. when i'm on rs, If I saw myself in a mirror my face would look like [spoiler=image]alg_man_bored.jpg

well that may be true for most players. But maybe 1 in a million players actually enjoy grinding beyond completionist sake.

I've been holding off on expressing my opinions, but you tipped the tank. If you are looking for a TL;DR, then just [bleep] off.

Look at it this way: Playing Runescape, you learn how to do many skills. You learn college level economics, high school Algebra, how to work in a team environment, basic leadership skills, basic typing skills, and many more things. Most of these are learned by those who are aiming for max or completionist mainly, even 200m experience, but most players learn up to a certain point of those skills regardless of their intentions in game. If expressed properly, these skills can easily translate into an entry-level position in a decent corporate position making $15+ an hour.

You can argue that high school football is the exact same thing as playing Runescape. You will spend countless hours on something that you like, which may or may not improve your future. While playing football is more physical intensive, at the core, it is no different than playing an online video game. Hell, many people have made money doing both, with gaming being marketed via services such as TGN, Machinima, and self-advertising.

In today's society, more and more jobs are heading towards a intellectual basis rather than physical basis. While having physical strength and being able to bench 300 pounds is ok, most companies will rather have a "computer nerd" at their fingertips. As someone who is both a gamer and has worked in several management positions because of skills I learned from gaming, I do not regret the thousands of hours I have spent "wasting my time".

I played Runescape and other games while studying in high school and college. While studying, I would train woodcutting, mining, etc. I still maintained a 4.0GPA and played Runescape or WoW from 3:00PM to 11:00PM every school night. I would also play several hours on weekends. I still maintained my social life on weekends and many of the people I hung out with were gamers anyway and most played Runescape. The only thing which actually damaged my social life was my over-religious parents. I don't really want to go into details, but I had to sneak out a lot.

If getting 200m experience in a skill or all skills is what makes someone happy, who are we to judge on if that is the correct thing to do anyway? Just let them be happy and encourage them to press on instead of bash them for being dedicated. I would love to see someone here do something with as much dedication without the desire for external gain. It frustrates me to end seeing someone get chastizied for doing something they love. I know first-hand how being sheltered and blocked from doing something I want to do can effect me.

That felt good getting off my chest.

• Like 11

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Yes, the two kinds of happiness you're referring to are "hedonic happiness" (fulfilling basic needs; short-term gratifications; entertainment) and "eudaimonic happiness" (fulfillment, growth, long-term happiness, etc.).

Eudaimonic happiness generally comes from within, not from external validations, gratifications, and accomplishments. And I do agree that RS generally can't bring you eudaimonic happiness. I'm just saying that people shouldn't be discrediting RS achievements in comparison to RL achievements since they're basically the same thing most of the time, as far as happiness goes. And again, as Jebrim has illustrated previously, accomplishments are subjective.

I think some of the top 15 dont realise the difference and dont realise they wont get eudaimonic happiness from rs.

[hide]

Quick update of the top 15.

1. S U O M I -- 4.705B

2. Jake -- 3.813B

3. Elvis -- 3.559B

4. 5129119bot -- 3.515B

5. Jdelacroix -- 3.500B

6. Drumgun -- 3.400B

7. AlmostLost -- 2.899B

8. Telmomarques -- 2.871B

9. Paulrat3 -- 2.751B

10. Kingduffy -- 2.738B

11. Dragonseance -- 2.658B

12. Pope712 -- 2.593B

13. Nico Robin -- 2.585B

14. Paperbag -- 2.565B

15. Robbie -- 2.533B

Correct me if I'm missing someone.

[/hide]

Allar should be somewhere in there.

@Goro/Musica - Allar would also be higher than Number1 [bleep]. So he'd be in 17th.

Oh sweet thx. I knew I was missing someone, why I added that bit at the end. Just couldn't pull who off the top of my head.

1. S U O M I -- 4.716B

2. Jake -- 3.823B

3. Elvis -- 3.563B

4. 5129119bot -- 3.521B

5. Jdelacroix -- 3.507B

6. Drumgun -- 3.406B

7. AlmostLost -- 2.899B

8. Telmomarques -- 2.871B

9. Paulrat3 -- 2.754B

10. Kingduffy -- 2.741B

11. Allar -- 2.680B

12. Dragonseance -- 2.664B

13. Pope712 -- 2.598B

14. Nico Robin -- 2.588B

15. Paperbag -- 2.567B

Correct list here.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

I think some of the top 15 dont realise the difference and dont realise they wont get eudaimonic happiness from rs.

It doesn't really matter does it. Neither will people obtain such a state from their job, or their studies, or any other 'activity' in life.

Asmodean <3

It doesn't really matter does it. Neither will people obtain such a state from their job, or their studies, or any other 'activity' in life.

I disagree. I think you have a better chance of getting a sense of fulfillment if you do a job you like, perhaps helping others or changing peoples' lives for the better.

• Like 1

People grind skills endlessly more because of passion and ambition and less because of some form of intrinsic "entertainment" involved. If you're passionate about something, no amount of being told skilling is "a huge waste of time" as judged by someone else will change that. I view skilling as "work", but it's also work that I'm passionate about and thus I don't care if I don't get some monetary benefit from it.

It's also a nice relaxing use of one's time. I even find the combination of Agility and music to be an excellent tool in calming my nerves if I ever get really worked up and stressed out.

• Like 1

fd5716c8af.png

200000000.png

Agilitizing my way to 1,000,000,000xp!
Follow my progress on my Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/The1Jebrim

This is not a debate on what qualifies an achievement. This is a thread for tracking the progress of the current top players in RS.

If you want to make a debate that discusses the finer points of what achievements are, what makes a "good" achievement, and so on, I encourage you to do so in either General Discussion (if you're speaking strictly about rs) or Off Topic (if you decide to take it to a broader range.)

This warning has to be posted once every few weeks and while the moderation staff doesn't mind doing it, we don't like having to remove posts. It interrupts the flow of discussion. Further off topic posts will be removed, please don't push it to that.

I highly encourage you guys to make a separate topic and refer to it whenever the discussion starts to stray, rather than derailing this one on a regular basis :P

Thanks for your help in this.

• Like 1

hzvjpwS.gif

Random question: if you had 1B XP in a skill, what level would it be? Like 142 or 143?

Level 142 - 921008346 xp

Level 143 - 1016875516 xp

921m Xp and 1017m Xp... You'd be 142 but pretty close to 143.

• Like 1

fd5716c8af.png

200000000.png

Agilitizing my way to 1,000,000,000xp!
Follow my progress on my Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/The1Jebrim