200M in all Skills

Makilio

Does Yahktwee stick really help that much? When I did 99 Hunter last summer I was only getting about 215k an hour. That or I might just be bad.

That's about what I got plus the 5% for yaktwee stick. Granted it's different @ lvl 99 vs up to it, but I can't really believe it would be 100k/hr more... Ofcourse There are optimal times, and perfect clicking and never messing up a single flower trap, as well as knowing which ones to get, and being in the absolutely correct spot. I suppose it's maybe possible.. But I recall the average being 220k a while ago so unless something else changed too? I am just confused...

You probably hunter like Jake or like a bot (you don't run to the square where your traps are) - making you waste 1 tick per trap. Also, you might have not used action bar to lay your traps - bye one more 1 tick per trap. It adds up to a lot of ticks per hour, as you can guess by looking at your XP rate.

Doesn't add up to 85k XP worth of ticks though.

LgEZt.png

Does Yahktwee stick really help that much? When I did 99 Hunter last summer I was only getting about 215k an hour. That or I might just be bad.

That's about what I got plus the 5% for yaktwee stick. Granted it's different @ lvl 99 vs up to it, but I can't really believe it would be 100k/hr more... Ofcourse There are optimal times, and perfect clicking and never messing up a single flower trap, as well as knowing which ones to get, and being in the absolutely correct spot. I suppose it's maybe possible.. But I recall the average being 220k a while ago so unless something else changed too? I am just confused...

You probably hunter like Jake or like a bot (you don't run to the square where your traps are) - making you waste 1 tick per trap. Also, you might have not used action bar to lay your traps - bye one more 1 tick per trap. It adds up to a lot of ticks per hour, as you can guess by looking at your XP rate.

You would be suprised.

• Like 1

You would be suprised.

The maths to accurately determine the exact effect is beyond me, and I don't have the right data to begin with, but I do believe it will be less than 85k. Maybe 45k under simple analysis, and perhaps 60k under a more thorough analysis.

LgEZt.png

>No idea what I'm talking about

>So I guess I'll just write some random numbers :)

I have quite a good idea what I am talking about actually.

Under a simple analysis you could just add the extra time onto individual trappings on a perfect hour of hunting, ie the time lost. This would correspond to probably around 45k less XP. With more rigorous analysis, you'd want to investigate the impact of having your traps on the floor for a shorter duration throughout the hour.

I said I was missing data, for example the ratio of common:draconic, and without that data I'll give estimated figures yes, but they're in no way random. I think it's better anyway than just stating that it would be equal to 85k XP with nothing to back that up whatsoever.

>I can't actually back up what I said

>Guess I'd better just try to demean my way out of this one

LgEZt.png

Under a simple analysis you could just add the extra time onto individual trappings on a perfect hour of hunting, ie the time lost. This would correspond to probably around 45k less XP. With more rigorous analysis, you'd want to investigate the impact of having your traps on the floor for a shorter duration throughout the hour.

I said I was missing data, for example the ratio of common:draconic, and without that data I'll give estimated figures yes, but they're in no way random. I think it's better anyway than just stating that it would be equal to 85k XP with nothing to back that up whatsoever.

You take 4 ticks to take a trap and to lay it down again. You only spend a tick running one trap to another. So, 5 ticks per each time you try to catch one jadino.

But you can suck enough and waste 2 ticks per trap. That makes it 7 ticks per attempt.

Around 6000 ticks occour per hour.

6k/5 = You try to catch 1200 jadinkos per hour

6k/7 = You try to catch 857 jadinos per hour

That means it is 40% faster. Oh...

I guess everyone agrees you get 295k XP/hr (pre-staff). So, with the staff, you get around 310k.

310k/1.4=221.4k XP/hr...

I really had no idea what I was talking about, right? Funny.

• Like 12

Those were your words, not mine.

Anyway, there's a slight flaw in your reasoning. You're assuming constant catching, and yes in that case it is 40% (aka 7/5 btw), but only on time spent actually picking traps. Basically you can't save 2 ticks by correctly resetting a trap if there is no opportunity to reset your trap.

But then again as I said, simply looking at the time lost will give an erroneous answer, as there is more than just time lost involved in this calculation.

On a curious note now, you say using the action bar saves you a tick? Is this compared to pre-action bar days as well? Or what else did they change to hunter? (Haven't been a member for 2+ years)

LgEZt.png

This will be funny:

I think it's better anyway than just stating that it would be equal to 85k XP with nothing to back that up whatsoever.

Anyway, there's a slight flaw in your reasoning. You're assuming constant catching, and yes in that case it is 40% (aka 7/5 btw), but only on time spent actually picking traps. Basically you can't save 2 ticks by correctly resetting a trap if there is no opportunity to reset your trap.

But then again as I said, simply looking at the time lost will give an erroneous answer, as there is more than just time lost involved in this calculation.

If you have full witchdoctor and arctic bear you rarely can stop hunting (without sacrificing XP). If you add that rarity, to the lag and to the human factor, we are now talking about 5-10k XP/hr.

This concludes my part on this discussion

In which scenario are you picking up a trap and not resetting it? If you are setting up your traps in the right spot you should have almost no idle time.

Also what are you referring to when you say that there 'is more than just time lost involved in this calc'.

imp7C.jpg

(22:28:44) <@Leik> LE INTORNUTZ SPEEK xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Mish.png

That doesn't take much time lost overall though..

I see where I lose out.. makes sense now. There is also correct ordering of traps because you can get a jadinko stuck on a trap that is up if two get caught at once.. Thanks for the explanation Gemeos :) Good to learn new things.

• Like 2

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Ok bad boy.... You take 4 ticks to take a trap and to lay it down again. You only spend a tick running one trap to another. So, 5 ticks per each time you try to catch one jadino.

But you can suck enough and waste 2 ticks per trap. That makes it 7 ticks per attempt.

Around 6000 ticks occour per hour.

6k/5 = You try to catch 1200 jadinkos per hour

6k/7 = You try to catch 857 jadinos per hour

That means it is 40% faster. Oh...

I guess everyone agrees you get 295k XP/hr (pre-staff). So, with the staff, you get around 310k.

310k/1.4=221.4k XP/hr...

Then you keep forgetting completelly that not always will all the traps be filled once you get to them. You are constantly waiting more than actually spending on setting up a trap. So instead of wasting 2 ticks, you only waste 2/5th of a "tick" per trap per trap period (the number of ticks it normally takes for a trap to fill up). As you basically don't waste time - the two ticks do not increase your gathering speed at all because the next trap isn't sprung when you go on. The only time you waste is that during 2 ticks only 4 traps are placed of the 5 possible traps

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Pulli have you ever actually hunted draconics. In almost all cases there is at least one trap that has a jadinko in it, meaning being able to lay a trap instantly does significantly speed your xp/hr up. You are hardly ever standing around waiting.

• Like 1

Asmodean <3

So someone is actually training hunter by not losing ticks in a hour and making it over 300k xp/h? To 200m xp?!

Wow, when I did hunter I was getting barely 180k xp/h (90 hunter) and it already annoyed the hell out of me... Not to mention I couldn't do it for even one hour in a row.

Also one thing I remember from hunting jadinkos is that every 10 minutes you have to use juju potion, is that taken into calculation with this theory? Or renewing familiar, drinking pots and such? Or is it expected you do all of these and keep hunting without losing any ticks? Or the time it takes to get zamoraks favours?

Now can someone post a video of someone actually catching these things for 310k xp/h or is this all just theory?

u5zhkTY.gif

So someone is actually training hunter by not losing ticks in a hour and making it over 300k xp/h? To 200m xp?!

Wow, when I did hunter I was getting barely 180k xp/h (90 hunter) and it already annoyed the hell out of me... Not to mention I couldn't do it for even one hour in a row.

Also one thing I remember from hunting jadinkos is that every 10 minutes you have to use juju potion, is that taken into calculation with this theory? Or renewing familiar, drinking pots and such? Or is it expected you do all of these and keep hunting without losing any ticks? Or the time it takes to get zamoraks favours?

Now can someone post a video of someone actually catching these things for 310k xp/h or is this all just theory?

Go back like 1 page...

• Like 2

2496 total achieved June 30, 2013

All of the above are taken into account.

• Like 1

Asmodean <3

Go back like 1 page...

Haha, I see! :D

Not sure how I managed to miss that but thanks for pointing me to the right direction. :oops:

u5zhkTY.gif

Don't forget to drink zamorak favour while you lay the trap so you don't lose any tick. ;)

• Like 1

I believe Meredith or Thai did some serious research on this awhile back. You should ask one of them.

Not as serious as I would like :/

All we were able to do was find which setups have the highest probability of attracting a jadinko when it spawns, assuming it is attracted to the closest traps first.

I'm trying to get in touch with the mod who curates hunter, but I haven't had any success.

Jadinkos are actually broken because they can be attracted to traps which already have things caught so your rate of catching actually goes down even *more* if you don't open traps instantly, which I think factors even more into using gemeos' methods to avoid loss of ticks. (Becuase every loss of a tick is one more tick a jadinko could be stuck). You also can lose out if your traps are badly located because once a jadinko moves it can be hard to get them attracted to the spot again (much like defenders in Barbarian Assault).

Serena_Sedai.png

Jadinkos are actually broken because they can be attracted to traps which already have things caught so your rate of catching actually goes down even *more* if you don't open traps instantly, which I think factors even more into using gemeos' methods to avoid loss of ticks. (Becuase every loss of a tick is one more tick a jadinko could be stuck). You also can lose out if your traps are badly located because once a jadinko moves it can be hard to get them attracted to the spot again (much like defenders in Barbarian Assault).

Are you sure that's the case? I remember them getting stuck but it was because they were trying to go to a trap behind another one, and the first one had something in it. Once I picked up the 1st trap they would proceed to the one behind it.

Tg_Ibe.png

I don't have a screenshot, but I've seen a jadinko get trapped that didn't have one directly behind it, and I recall happening at least once when there was only one trap up. Regardless of whether I recall correct, it definitely can cause issues if you don't pull traps down as fast as possible.

• Like 1

Serena_Sedai.png